Who will replace Joe Biden as Democratic nominee?

Who will replace Joe Biden as Democratic nominee?

• Gretchen Whitmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavin Newsom

• Pete Buttigieg

• Josh Shapiro

• JB Pritzker

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
A number of Democratic lawmakers are calling on President Joe Biden to end his re-election campaign after his botched debate against Republican challenger Donald Trump.

At least 30 lawmakers in the House of Representatives, three US senators and a number of leading donors - including actor George Clooney - have publicly joined the growing Democratic chorus.

The party's fallout has stretched on for weeks, with prominent lawmakers like Adam Schiff - a California congressman running to be the state's next senator - asking Mr Biden to "pass the torch" of leadership.

Adding further pressure, a series of opinion polls since the debate suggest Trump may be edging ahead in key states.

President Biden has continued to insist that he is staying in the race, using a handful of campaign appearances and an hour-long news conference at Nato to try to make his case.

As the pressure builds, attention has turned to who could replace him if he changes his mind about running - or he is somehow forced from the race.

Various scenarios could play out over the coming days and weeks, but there are two ways Mr Biden's campaign could end: he could pull out willingly, or be forced to step aside by his own party.

Mr Biden has won the support of nearly all of the Democratic delegates who will vote on whether to make him the nominee. If he drops out of the race, they would be released to vote for another candidate. Whoever is able to win a majority of delegates at the convention would be the new nominee.

The second option would be much messier, with time running short and logistical circumstances complicating the process.

Democrats plan to hold a roll-call vote to formally elect Mr Biden as the party's nominee before Ohio's 7 August filing deadline - 12 days before the convention is slated to begin. For those hoping to derail the president's nomination, that could be their last opportunity to do so.

But Leah Daughtry, the party's chair of the convention rules committee, said at a meeting on Friday that "any challenger would have to have the verified support of hundreds of delegates" at the virtual vote to upend the process. That would be very difficult to pull together.

Mr Biden won 3,896 delegates in the Democratic primary. A candidate only needs 1,968 to lock up the nomination on the first ballot, which means there would have to be a number of defections.

"Such a challenge has never happened over the past half century of competitive primaries," Ms Daughtry noted.

Party rules say that delegates are not technically required to vote for Mr Biden, but they do stipulate that they "shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them".

If President Biden did suspend his campaign through either path, who would be the leading contenders?

Prob Harris.

They will try to script getting all the Liberals , minorities, blacks , lgbt, Hollywood , all on board to beat so called right wing trump . Easy divide , more control over both parties. Sadly it’s too late , the best days of USA are behind them.

It has to be our Bharatiya lady Kamala Harris.

Camel will lose this election badly. Their only hope was Michele Obama. But she is not ready to take on Trump. May be next Presidential elections.

She is a mixed person. Half-black and half-Indian I believe.
Kamala's dad is half white and half Jamaican. His paternal ancestors owned slaves. She is descendent of Slave owners.

So basically she is 50% Indian, 25% Irish and 25% Afro Jamaican.

But she is 100% useless and her brain is full of pumpkin pulp. You just have to see any of her hundreds of interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for Trump to give Kamala a hearing. Not even sure if she will be the nominee. Other candidates will be coming forward in the next few days.. Kamala is a most cunning manipulative attorney. There are other better Democratic candidates than her and I hope they give her a hammering. She is the most undeserving amongst the bunch.

I think Kamala Harris on account of her vice presidency experience

Last edited:
Waiting for Trump to give Kamala a hearing. Not even sure if she will be the nominee. Other candidates will be coming forward in the next few days.. Kamala is a most cunning manipulative attorney. There are other better Democratic candidates than her and I hope they give her a hammering. She is the most undeserving amongst the bunch.
I think she'd make a decent President. Not a lot of substance but nicely centrist with no weird views. Remains to be seen how she does as a candidate. She did okay in the campaign against Biden but she did make some gaffes. It's been 4 years though.

Trump's got one foot in the grave anyway. He's older than 3 of my grandparents were by the time they died. Maybe the rigours of the campaign will give him a heart attack and he'll pop off leaving Vance and Kamala to fight it out.

I think she'd make a decent President. Not a lot of substance but nicely centrist with no weird views. Remains to be seen how she does as a candidate. She did okay in the campaign against Biden but she did make some gaffes. It's been 4 years though.

Trump's got one foot in the grave anyway. He's older than 3 of my grandparents were by the time they died. Maybe the rigours of the campaign will give him a heart attack and he'll pop off leaving Vance and Kamala to fight it out.

Bad decision to give Kamala the nomination, she is heavily assosciated with the Biden brand and people are going to remember that when they vote.

Bad decision to give Kamala the nomination, she is heavily assosciated with the Biden brand and people are going to remember that when they vote.
Not like they had much choice. There's a 100 days to the election - an attempt to hold a snap primary and select someone could literally cause civil war in the party. It's Biden's fault for taking so long to bow to the inevitable.

They just have to hope for the best. Good thing is she's been thoroughly vetted through the 2020 Primaries and the vice-president selection process so not likely to have any skeletons in the closet.

They can select a good running mate like that astronaut senator with a congresswoman wife (the one who was shot) or a swing state governor and cross their fingers that he brings some excitement and buzz with him.

The Kremlin has responded to Biden stepping aside, saying “a lot can change” in the next four months.

“The elections are still four months away, and that is a long period of time in which a lot can change,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the SHOT news outlet.

“We need to be patient and carefully monitor what happens. The priority for us is the special military operation,” Peskov said, using the euphemism for the Ukraine war that President Vladimir Putin prefers.

Putin had said several times said that he felt Biden was preferable as the future US president to Trump for Russia, even after Biden cast the Kremlin chief as a “crazy SOB”.

Russian state television led news bulletins with the news of Biden leaving the election race and Biden’s support for Harris, though it said it was unclear if Harris would earn the Democratic nomination.

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on the Telegram messaging app that he wished Biden good health and added that the goals of the special military operation would be achieved.

Source: Guardian

Kamala Harris vows to ‘earn and win’ party nomination as top Democrats rally behind her​

Vice President Kamala Harris is receiving hundreds of endorsements from Democratic elected officials after Joe Biden announced he was exiting the 2024 US presidential race on the Sunday.

In the wake of his withdrawal and endorsement, Harris said she was "honoured" and plans to "earn and win" the presidential election.

She wrote on X: “I will do everything in my power to unite the Democratic Party —and unite our nation — to defeat Donald Trump and his extreme Project 2025 agenda.

“We have 107 days until Election Day. Together, we will fight. And together, we will win.”

Donations to the party are also surging as Biden urged his vast list of supporters to contribute to what is now the campaign to get Harris elected.

In an email sent Sunday afternoon, Biden said picking her as his running mate is the “best decision I’ve made.”

“Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year,” Biden wrote. “Democrats - it’s time to come together and beat Trump. And if you’re with us, donate to her campaign here.”

ActBlue, the liberal political action committee, says $46.7m raised in hours since Biden withdrew from race .

Meanwhile, the Harris for President campaign has sent out a list of all of the endorsements Harris has garnered from elected Democratic officials.

Some of the more recognisable names include:

Senator Elizabeth Warren, for Massachusetts, who wrote on X: “We have many talented people in our party, but Vice President Harris is the person who was chosen by the voters to succeed Joe Biden if needed. She can unite our party, take on Donald Trump, and win in November”.

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who tweeted: “Kamala Harris will be the next President of the United States. I pledge my full support to ensure her victory in November. Now more than ever, it is crucial that our party and country swiftly unite to defeat Donald Trump and the threat to American democracy. Let’s get to work”.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, for New York, who tweeted: “My friend Kamala Harris is a champion for freedom and a proven leader who is ready to defeat Donald Trump and defend our democracy. I’m proud to endorse her — and I’m eager to join her in this fight. Donate to her campaign now”.

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar, who wrote on X: “Thrilled to support @KamalaHarris as our Democratic nominee and remain committed to working alongside her to defeat Donald Trump in November”

Congressman Adam Schiff: “Now it’s time for all of us to unite behind Vice President Harris. I am excited to endorse her campaign for President – she has the judgment, experience, leadership, and tenacity to take on and defeat Donald Trump. I worked with her when she was our Attorney General, Senator, and Vice President, and I can’t wait to work with her as President."

Harris also received support from swathes of A-list actors, singers and other celebrities, including Freaky Friday actress Jamie Lee Curtis, singer Katy Perry, and Barbra Streisand.

The VP has notably not been endorsed by former President Barrack Obama who in a lengthy statement only praised Biden for being a "patriot of the highest order".

He wrote: "We will be navigating uncharted waters in the days ahead. But I have extraordinary confidence that the leaders of our party will be able to create a process from which an outstanding nominee emerges."

The Democratic Convention Rules Committee, which helps oversee the presidential nomination process, is set to meet this week.

It's not clear how the process will be adjusted to reflect his exit from the race.

Co-chairs Tim Walz and Leah Daughtry said it was the committees responsibility "to implement a framework to select a new nominee, which will be open, transparent, fair, and orderly", according to CNN.

"The process presented for consideration will be comprehensive, it will be fair, and it will be expeditious," they said.

Dems need a young good looking tall white guy who has a leggy blonde wife to stand a chance.

It's the only way they can that project a positive image.

Kamila or any minority background candidate won't cut it in the current environment.

Dems need a young good looking tall white guy who has a leggy blonde wife to stand a chance.

Kamila or any minority background candidate won't cut it in the current environment.
Trump will plenty of witty punchlines that will travel through the social media.
Kamala is weaker than Hillary as an opponent against Trump.

I think at this point most of the power centers except the big 4...the guys who actually forced Biden out - Obama, Pelosi, Schumer and Jeffries have endorsed. I think they'll hold on a couple of weeks to avoid giving the impression that everything's been worked out behind the scenes. They might even hold on until the Convention to see how Kamala does rounding up the delegates without their open support.

It's all a farce though. I read somewhere the Kamala back office has been vetting vice-presidential candidates for a couple of weeks now.

That's true for conservatives but Dem and Independent voters don't need this image. Times have changed and many of them have shed their prejudices. What might affect Kamala is her inability as VP to improve the border problem which some Dem voters might care about.

Trump will plenty of witty punchlines that will travel through the social media.
Kamala is weaker than Hillary as an opponent against Trump.
He is a difficult candidate to go up against for sure.

But his key weakness is his ego. Get someone better looking, taller and perhaps who is also rich and he will start to squirm and lash out like a kid. Someone with a wife better looking than his wife will cause him to have meltdowns. He is a funny man, actually a pretty decent

He is comfortable punching down on blacks, women and old people.

Democrats need a sensible left of center, who has the guts to reject extreme woke trans agenda and can spank Trump and Republicans on women abortion rights. This is the only narrow path left for the Dems.

That's true for conservatives but Dem and Independent voters don't need this image. Times have changed and many of them have shed their prejudices. What might affect Kamala is her inability as VP to improve the border problem which some Dem voters might care about.
They will want to target some of the people who have indirectly fallen into the trump camp. Perhaps if they put forward someone who looks like them ( or how they want to look) they can win some back.

I appreciate that this may be simplistic but they seem like they are quite easily swayed by these things. Especially in the post trump era.

He is a difficult candidate to go up against for sure.

But his key weakness is his ego. Get someone better looking, taller and perhaps who is also rich and he will start to squirm and lash out like a kid. Someone with a wife better looking than his wife will cause him to have meltdowns. He is a funny man, actually a pretty decent

He is comfortable punching down on blacks, women and old people.
Trump might be a racist and bigoted but atleast he is not a hypocrite. Trump did more for world Peace than any other world leader in past few decades. He was the one who initiated Middle East gradual reconciliation with Israel. Biden just bungled it.

Democrats are actually getting lost without a clear message except they are Anti-Trump. The liberals seriously lost the poltical maths with open acceptance of Trans Agenda. In UK, Keir Starmer was smart enough to start distancing himself from the crazy woke lefties atleast, there is no such willingness in US Democrats. They have lost the narrative.

Another prediction from the cartoon The Simpsons seems to be coming true soon after 20 years ago, it featured the first Asian black woman as the President of the United States.

ICYpC4q.png

Harris to deliver remarks at the White House

Kamala Harris will make her first public appearance in the morning at the White House since the Biden announcement, where she is scheduled to speak at an event honouring National Collegiate Athletic Association championship teams.

She’s filling in for Biden who is recovering after contracting COVID-19 last week.

On Sunday, Biden’s campaign formally changed its name to “Harris for President”, reflecting she’s inheriting his political operation of more than 1,000 staffers and a war chest that stood at nearly $96m at the end of June.

Source: Al Jazeera

I sincerely hope it is not Kamala. Democrats will have no hope then. Democrats need a centrist or center-left type candidate to have a reasonable hope.

I sincerely hope it is not Kamala. Democrats will have no hope then. Democrats need a centrist or center-left type candidate to have a reasonable hope.
Kamala Harris is as center/center left as it gets. She spent 13 years in law enforcement with a pretty good conviction rate.

She's no Ocasio-Cortez. In fact she's the perfect politician- no real conviction based stance on anything unless it's been thoroughly opinion poll and focus group tested. She could stand on a Republican ticket and still speak passionately about the causes they espouse.

Her main issue is her lack of Charisma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except for her face and skin colour, Kamala Harris is as center/center left as it gets. She spent 13 years in law enforcement with a pretty good conviction rate.

She's no Ocasio-Cortez. In fact she's the perfect politician- no real conviction based stance on anything unless it's been thoroughly opinion poll and focus group tested. She could stand on a Republican ticket and still speak passionately about the causes they espouse.

Her main issue is her lack of Charisma.
Her main issue is her lack of Charisma. -- This is my reason to not have Kamala. Lack of Charisma. I feel a center-left candidate instead of her who also has charisma is better.

Her main issue is her lack of Charisma. -- This is my reason to not have Kamala. Lack of Charisma. I feel a center-left candidate instead of her who also has charisma is better.
Too late now. To organize a flash primary would be chaos. The party's just got to make the best of it and hope Trump has a heart attack or a racist tirade against his latino maid. The Latino vote will be crucial this time - especially in Florida and Nevada.

Key endorsements pour in for Kamala Harris as VP selection nears​

Vice President Kamala Harris received some key endorsements and laid the groundwork for announcing her running-mate on Tuesday. Harris requested vetting materials for North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker and Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly.

Fast Facts:

President Biden withdrew from the race for president on Sunday and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris to lead Democrats in the race for the White House.

Many top Democrats have fallen in line behind Harris, receiving endorsements from the Clintons, former Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries.

Harris is in the process of selecting a vice president, with her most likely selections being a handful of Democratic governors from the Midwest

Source: Fox News

Biden tells US it's time to 'pass the torch' to Harris

US President Joe Biden has told Americans it's time to "pass the torch to a new generation" in a televised address from the White House explaining his historic decision to step aside as the Democratic candidate in this November's election.

The Oval Office speech was his first public appearance since the 21 July announcement, which paved the way for Vice-President Kamala Harris to run for the party's nomination instead.

The Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump, meanwhile, said at a rally that Ms Harris was a "radical left lunatic".

Opinion polls so far indicate a tight race between the former president and Ms Harris in a hypothetical match-up.

Science group backs Sen. Mark Kelly for vice-presidential nomination​

A science-focused group that urged Mark Kelly to run for the U.S. Senate five years ago is now recommending him for the vice-presidential nomination.

The 314 Action Fund, a name intended to evoke the math formula for pi, added its backing to those seeking to elevate Kelly, who is an engineer and former astronaut.

Kelly, D-Ariz., is among those being vetted by Vice President Kamala Harris’ campaign as a possible running mate. He is believed to be a top contender, along with perhaps three Democratic governors, but there are other names under consideration as well.

Harris, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, is expected to make her pick before Aug. 7 to avoid potential ballot-access problems, most notably in Ohio.

Shaughnessy Naughton, the founder and president of 314 Action, called Kelly “a champion for solving problems and getting things done.” She also referenced his 2020 and 2022 election wins in a statement.

“He knows how to win tough, competitive elections, turning Arizona from Red to Blue by defeating a formidable incumbent the first time and another Peter Thiel acolyte the second time,” Naughton said. “He uses facts, science, and data to make informed public policy decisions. He knows how to work across the aisle to get results for his constituents.”

The organization said it plans to release an ad supporting Kelly’s possible candidacy in battleground markets next week on cable TV, digital screens and text messages.

It said it spent $3 million backing an effort to “draft” Kelly into the 2020 Senate race.

The Arizona Democratic Party also has endorsed Kelly for the vice-presidential slot on the ticket.

At least one vice-presidential possibility is facing formal pushback.

A group identifying itself as “No Genocide Josh” has posted a website by that name to make its case against Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro.

Shapiro, who is Jewish, said two days after the Oct. 7 terrorist attacks by Hamas in Israel that it was “not a moment to retreat from who we are, but to be proud of who we are,” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. He has resisted calls for a ceasefire to Israel’s war in Gaza, the Inquirer said.

Shapiro has also been critical of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, calling him a “failed leader” and on Netanyahu’s watch “the government took the eye off the security risk to Israel.”

That isn’t good enough for the group opposing him as a possible vice president. The group posted a long message thanking President Joe Biden for bowing out of the 2024 race and acknowledging that Harris will be the Democratic nominee.

It said that to win the trust of “working-class, progressive and young voters” Harris must commit to an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Israel’s war with Hamas.

The group rips Shapiro, without naming him, as draining enthusiasm from the left.

“A VP nominee who has failed to support the rights of workers and immigrants, diverted public education funding toward for-profit entities, or restricted access to reproductive or gender-affirming care would risk losing the support of millions of working-class voters,” the group wrote.

Back