Why are three different types of cricket balls being used in Test cricket?

Mainul

First Class Captain
Runs
Pakistan has been using Kookaburra, India SG while England has been using Dukes cricket balls.

Bangladesh just played test cricket in Pakistan and they has been practicing and playing with Kookaburra since May. Now they will travel to India where a different ball with different nature will be used named SG. It is heavier, with steep sim, it looses shines faster and so on. Totally different than kookaburra . Very difficult to adjust for bowlers in just 2-3 weeks . It will give Indian bowlers more advantages,no doubt.

This different cricket balls just hampers the balance between two teams . Why ICC doesn't take any step regarding it ?

What advantages lol ? India is going to play 5 test matches in australia just after NZ test but Indian fan's never care about which balls will used in Australia. If you're good enough than its doesn't matter. Bangladeshi fans and their silly excuse never end's.

Pakistan has been using Kookaburra, India SG while England has been using Dukes cricket balls.

Bangladesh just played test cricket in Pakistan and they has been practicing and playing with Kookaburra since May. Now they will travel to India where a different ball with different nature will be used named SG. It is heavier, with steep sim, it looses shines faster and so on. Totally different than kookaburra . Very difficult to adjust for bowlers in just 2-3 weeks . It will give Indian bowlers more advantages,no doubt.

This different cricket balls just hampers the balance between two teams . Why ICC doesn't take any step regarding it ?
ICC does not endorse any brand of cricket ball . It's upto the individual boards . The ball has to meet certain standards with respect to size, weight, quality etc.

Very difficult to adjust for bowlers in just 2-3 weeks

They're playing international cricket. Being able to adapt to different playing conditions , ball types , boundary sizes is the minimum that can be expected of them. It's not that big of a deal.

What advantages lol ? India is going to play 5 test matches in australia just after NZ test but Indian fan's never care about which balls will used in Australia. If you're good enough than its doesn't matter. Bangladeshi fans and their silly excuse never end's.
I m not saying this only because of Bangladesh, about whole cricket world. Test Cricket is being played between only 12 nations. I cant think of another sport which is so limited and confined. Yet 3 different balls! Just tell this matter silly,not mine claim . If they cant fix one ball permanently,at least ICC should fix only one cricket ball for at least 2 seasons across the test cricket playing nations . Then replace it for another 2 seasons. That will decrease the gap between two teams at least in one aspect of the game , especially the lesser test playing nations will find it easier to handle and more closer contest will take place.

Ideally yes there'd be a standardised red cricket ball that maintains its shine and shape for a relatively equal amount of time in all climates and countries. However we know each ball has its limitations:

- Dukes hasn't been as good since Covid. The owner has various technical explanations (apparently to do with substandard cow leather from their supplier). There's questions about its performance in hotter climates and abrasive surfaces although it's been fine in the WI.

- Kookaburra has improved recently, but on flat wickets it usually results in turgid runfests.

- The SG hasn't been used outside India as far as I know ?

However I think the variety of conditions and seeing how players adapt is the beauty of cricket.

The boards must be more proactive. If there's an upcoming tour to England or India then play 2-3 rounds of your FC season with the Dukes or SG so players can familiarise themselves.

Different balls have been used in cricket for a long while now. Personally, I am all for it as it offers different kind of flavour, present different kinds of challenges - just like having different kinds of pitches in cricket or having different kinds of courts in Tennis. If you can’t adapt, it’s on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally yes there'd be a standardised red cricket ball that maintains its shine and shape for a relatively equal amount of time in all climates and countries. However we know each ball has its limitations:

- Dukes hasn't been as good since Covid. The owner has various technical explanations (apparently to do with substandard cow leather from their supplier). There's questions about its performance in hotter climates and abrasive surfaces although it's been fine in the WI.

- Kookaburra has improved recently, but on flat wickets it usually results in turgid runfests.

- The SG hasn't been used outside India as far as I know ?

However I think the variety of conditions and seeing how players adapt is the beauty of cricket.

The boards must be more proactive. If there's an upcoming tour to England or India then play 2-3 rounds of your FC season with the Dukes or SG so players can familiarise themselves.
Current version of kookaburra is the probably the most balanced cricket ball in ages. What run fests have we seen in Australia since 2021?

The 2018-19 Dukes swung and seamed way too much and wasn't particularly balanced either

I m not saying this only because of Bangladesh, about whole cricket world. Test Cricket is being played between only 12 nations. I cant think of another sport which is so limited and confined. Yet 3 different balls! Just tell this matter silly,not mine claim . If they cant fix one ball permanently,at least ICC should fix only one cricket ball for at least 2 seasons across the test cricket playing nations . Then replace it for another 2 seasons. That will decrease the gap between two teams at least in one aspect of the game , especially the lesser test playing nations will find it easier to handle and more closer contest will take place.
This is test cricket we are talking about. Different conditions, pitches ,balls etc is important for this formats.

Current version of kookaburra is the probably the most balanced cricket ball in ages. What run fests have we seen in Australia since 2021?

The 2018-19 Dukes swung and seamed way too much and wasn't particularly balanced either
In AUS since 2021 the pitches have become more sporting.

Why should one company get a monopoly on selling all international cricket balls?

What’s the issue with different balls. It adds a variety to the game. Every ball has its own unique qualities.

How do you decide which one to use. Free market. You cannot allow monopoly. What is next. Everyone has to play cricket in the same place, same pitch, same bat, with same helmet?

Exactly.
The dumb things Pakistanis come up with from time to time. Just sit down you don’t know cricket, you are a #8 ranked team and nobody asked you for your opinion.

The SG ball accelerates the development of reverse swing and offers distinct advantages for fast bowlers as well, as evident in the damage James Anderson inflicts in India with a well-worn SG ball. Modern teams are also much better prepared, and it’s likely the Bangladesh squad has several SG boxes for their bowlers to train with regularly. While it does take time to adjust, these international cricketers are accustomed to adapting to diverse conditions from a young age, whether related to equipment, pitch, crowd, weather etc. Therefore, it's essential not to underestimate their skills simply due to the differing ball.

Two is enough. Kookabara and Duke are very good balls. SG shouldn't be allowed. It has good quality in the 1930s but hasn't been up to standard since around 1950.

And if Kookabarra is bought out then?
We will have to use something.

For the moment the least Indian options are preferable for a wide variety of factors.

If we are left with only Indian options then I suppose we just have to get on with things and try to find a silver lining in the dark cloud.

We will have to use something.

For the moment the least Indian options are preferable for a wide variety of factors.

If we are left with only Indian options then I suppose we just have to get on with things and try to find a silver lining in the dark cloud.

Bharatiya major equity stake is inevitable at some point. You know it’s coming.

Interestingly enough Sansperial Greenlands (SG) was founded in Sialkot by brothers Kedarnath and Dwarakanath Anand in 1931. They were originally from Lahore where they apprenticed in their uncle's sports shop before establishing the company to facilitate export of their products.

After the partition, the family moved to Agra and later settled in Meerut in 1950.

Back