Why do these young Pakistani batters have such poor stats?

Unbiased-Fan

Local Club Star
Runs
Bowling is not issue for Pakistan as they already have some promising young quicks.

But, take a look at numbers of these highly hyped young batsmen from Pakistan.

1. Saim Ayub
(averaging just 14 across 21 innings with a strike rate of only 122)

He is Pakistan's most talked about young batsman and righty so as he has shown great performance in PSL. A respectable average of 44 in first class prove that he can bat long. But, what happened to him playing internationals. He is yet to score a half century, even after regularly playing against Afghanistan and Ireland.

2. Mohammad Haris
( averaging 7 and 14 in ODIs and T20is respectively, t20i strike rate of 127)

Haris played a blinder against South Africa in 2022 world cup. But he has nothing to show after that. Unlike Saim, his domestic stats are very poor. He is also yet to score a single 50 in his international career.

3. Azam Khan
( t20i average of 8 with strike rate of 133)

He is definitely talented. But, his stats don't do justice to his talent. If series against Ireland removed, his stats look like Chris Martinesque. Again, he has zero fifties.

4. Usman Khan
( t20i average of 14 with strike rate of 128
)

Same story, blockbuster at PSL but flop at international stage. To his defense, he didn't played at his natural spot.

You see, all these four batting talents are highly rated in Pakistan. But, everyone has batting average less than 15, and not a single batsman managed to score a fifty despite playing handful of matches.

Are they comparable to batting talents like Sudharsan, Ravindra , Parag, Abhishek, Jaiswal, Stubbs, Brook or even Nissanka.?

What is wrong with them.? They score heavily in so called bowler dominating PSL, but struggle for runs in international cricket even against minnows.

Do they even deserve to play international cricket? Are they timid, talentless or simply league cricket bullies??

Combined international batting stats of Saim Ayub, Mohammed Haris, Azam Khan and Usman Khan

Innings - 59
Runs - 703
Balls - 569
Batting Average - 13.01
Strike Rate - 123.55
Fifties - Zero

Highest Score - 49

Even Washington Sundar has more impressive stats than this. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

They are inexperienced and require some backing. Both Saim Ayub and Azam Khan possess potential. Ayub is a 360 player. He got off to a slow start even in domestics and PSL but ultimately improved. Azam Khan is an inconsistent match winner. Despite his failures, he has maintained a strike rate of 133 in T20ls.

At this age and this stage of their career they need to be backed on potential more than stats. If stats are the same after a period of time then it can be questioned but for now they just need to be backed and tried.

Saim has the potential to be a 3 format match winner.

Haris can be a very solid player.

Usman won't amount to too much but can be a decent back up player.

Azam is a write off currently.

They are inexperienced and require some backing. Both Saim Ayub and Azam Khan possess potential. Ayub is a 360 player. He got off to a slow start even in domestics and PSL but ultimately improved. Azam Khan is an inconsistent match winner. Despite his failures, he has maintained a strike rate of 133 in T20ls.
If he has failed, there is no use of maintaining strike rates. Its same as bowling at 150+ but failing to take wickets or stopping run flow.
Though Saim is having a lot of potential but needs proper guidance and grooming.

Give further chances to those who have good first class records and give first class matches to remaining.

If he has failed, there is no use of maintaining strike rates. Its same as bowling at 150+ but failing to take wickets or stopping run flow.
Though Saim is having a lot of potential but needs proper guidance and grooming.
Azam Khan has played a total of 13 innings in international cricket. His career T20 strike rate stands at an impressive 148. While he lacks consistency, he can play impactful knocks every 2 to 3 games, which would be more beneficial for the team than consistently scoring slow 50s.

Babar himself is a very mediocre batsman but presence of such unskilled and unreliable youngsters made his look like some God.

Pakistan is in serious crisis. They need to invest in quality domestic setup and need to pick proven domestic performers like Huraira and Shafique.

You guys have any idea about other quality batsman in Pakistani domestic circuit??

Azam Khan has played a total of 13 innings in international cricket. His career T20 strike rate stands at an impressive 148. While he lacks consistency, he can play impactful knocks every 2 to 3 games, which would be more beneficial for the team than consistently scoring slow 50s.
Wrong Azam has career strike rate of 133.
He has scored just 88 runs in 13 innings. If you remove his record against Ireland (48 runs 18 balls, 2 not outs), his average becomes only 4.44 and strike rate just 83.

PCB needs to try to get Azam to buy into a focused year long diet and counselling program

If they can get him down to 85 kilo levels and help him establish a healthy relationship with food to make it sustainable, Pak might have a potentially good batter.

I know several ppl will say it is Azam who should be doing this but frankly its a worthy investment from PCB

Wrong Azam has career strike rate of 133.
He has scored just 88 runs in 13 innings. If you remove his record against Ireland (48 runs 18 balls, 2 not outs), his average becomes only 4.44 and strike rate just 83.
check my previous post, I have mentioned that his T20I career strike rate is 133. His 148 strike is an all of T20s, which includes domestics and leagues.

Good thread.

Now watch the blame go to everyone else in this Universe and beyond, but not the players themselves.

Tried and tested formula.

Problem also comes when these young guys are rushed into the team and are hyped like if they are not included in the team, the team is finished. We gotta be patient with these boys.

I think PCB should think about not including any young talent in the team until be plays few domestics seasons in all format.

Azam Khan has played a total of 13 innings in international cricket. His career T20 strike rate stands at an impressive 148. While he lacks consistency, he can play impactful knocks every 2 to 3 games, which would be more beneficial for the team than consistently scoring slow

13-15 innings without a score worth mentioning and you are happy just with 148 strike rate. Thats the major difference between potential players of Pakistan and other young international players.

13-15 innings without a score worth mentioning and you are happy just with 148 strike rate. Thats the major difference between potential players of Pakistan and other young international players.
You have to support and trust your top talents. India had backed Rohit Sharma, England has done so with Buttler, and the WI has done the same with Nicholas Pooran.

Because all they do is play cheap and low quality T20 cricket. There is no game development project or planning. Where ever on plant earth they will be present to play T20 cricket.

They lack passion and hunger to perform and work hard.

When blind slogger like Afridi is glorified as one of the GOATS. The young generation is going to emulate that only.
Its all about what the inspiration for the younger generation is. Afridi did not just ruin Pakistan cricket during his playing career but also next generation of cricketers too.

Babar Azam gets trolled for statpadding, and we happily join that for fun is a far better example to emulate.

A bit unfair on Usman Khan because he hasn't really got a fair chance in the top 3.

Saim definitely has been the most disappointing because he actually is a proper batsman, but I think he will actually come good.

As for Haris and Azam, they don't play FC cricket and as a result have no clue about batting for longer than 10 balls. It either goes to the boundary or I'm out kind of batting from these two.

You have to support and trust your top talents. India had backed Rohit Sharma, England has done so with Buttler, and the WI has done the same with Nicholas Pooran.
You are right but need to trust players who have potential, I don't see any potential in azam khan except power. Guys like saim can be trusted but he needs a proper grooming. Pakistan needs to have some proper batsmans at first place in middle order not hacks.
They backed them because all of them are quality players, you are backing a hack who knows nothing except muscling the ball and looks like a sumo fighter.

Gill scored a T20 century in his 9th match.

Ruturaj scored T20I century in his 12th match.

Jaiswal scored T20I century in his 6 match.

Abhi Sharma scored a T20I century in his 2nd innings.

Next batting sensation Saim Ayub yet to score a fifty after playing 23 matches

PCB needs to try to get Azam to buy into a focused year long diet and counselling program

If they can get him down to 85 kilo levels and help him establish a healthy relationship with food to make it sustainable, Pak might have a potentially good batter.

I know several ppl will say it is Azam who should be doing this but frankly its a worthy investment from PCB
His reaction to sharp bouncer from Wood indicated that it is weight not just his issue

Combined international batting stats of Saim Ayub, Mohammed Haris, Azam Khan and Usman Khan

Innings - 59
Runs - 703
Balls - 569
Batting Average - 13.01
Strike Rate - 123.55
Fifties - Zero

Highest Score - 49

I know you brought in Sundar as a joke comparison but I'd like to point out that Sundar averages over 60 with the bat in test cricket, with two series winning performances - vs Aus in Aus and vs Eng - both times when India had their backs to the wall.

It's not PCB's responsibility, but the player's own to do the bare minimum to be fit.

He is not a 14 year old but a 24 year old man who should know what is good and bad by now.

Virat Kohli took ownership of his own weight issues at a far younger age and worked hard without any babysitting to become one of the fittest cricketers in a short time.

When blind slogger like Afridi is glorified as one of the GOATS. The young generation is going to emulate that only.
Its all about what the inspiration for the younger generation is. Afridi did not just ruin Pakistan cricket during his playing career but also next generation of cricketers too.

Babar Azam gets trolled for statpadding, and we happily join that for fun is a far better example to emulate.
You don't disrespect Lala Like that and go unpunished. Lala won a world cup single handedly. He has most MOM trophies!

You will be catching me outside!

When I am through you, there will be only three elemental nations standing! The Avatar Aang departs this world today! :rahi

They don't have the power or the skill of their counterparts.

Just can't produce elite talents like Abhishek Sharma and Jake Fraser.

Usman Khan simply lacks skills.

The way he bats actually makes me feel like a tailender is at the crease.

I repeat under-19 has been a great breeding ground for many teams. Lot of star players of no were under-19 World Cup representatives once. SMith, Root, Kohli, Kane, Boult, Southee, Stokes.. most recently Gill, Jaiswal, Brook, Travis Head, Pant, Who was the last under-19 super star for Pakistan? Babar is the last one. Azmatulla, IMam are not all format players. Supply chain cut off. No talent stands out for Pakistan. Batsmen have become more hackish. They have to fix the supply chain first.

Harris was pivotal in Pakistan’s journey to the final in 2022 and his presence helped mask some of the deep flaws in the batting line up, if he is discarded due to petty grudges, there’s something wrong there, one would think after the way he played he’d be given a long rope with all the support.

These players come in and are under immense pressure due to the toxic environment created by the so called senior openers, they have to fit into their group and system, it’s not a welcoming environment to be in. Saim showed me enough in terms of having the basic T20 foundation which you can build on, but you also need astute leadership and great man managers, not sissy’s who quit when the going gets tough and selfishly set others up for failure to ensure their own position based on a fallacy.

I repeat under-19 has been a great breeding ground for many teams. Lot of star players of no were under-19 World Cup representatives once. SMith, Root, Kohli, Kane, Boult, Southee, Stokes.. most recently Gill, Jaiswal, Brook, Travis Head, Pant, Who was the last under-19 super star for Pakistan? Babar is the last one. Azmatulla, IMam are not all format players. Supply chain cut off. No talent stands out for Pakistan. Batsmen have become more hackish. They have to fix the supply chain first.
Batting is a fine art. It requires finesse. Remember cricket is a sport for the elites. Like Golf. Batting requires a technique, percision, IQ and natural ability. Bowling is easier to master, that's why all the minnows become better at bowling before batting.

A cultured kid with a clean traditional technique is ideal. Much more preffered than a mid 20 something labourer who has suddenly gone professional in Pakistan. This is why I keep saying they need to explore the private schools and offer sponsorships to take on cricket full time from a young age.

Batting is a fine art. It requires finesse. Remember cricket is a sport for the elites. Like Golf. Batting requires a technique, percision, IQ and natural ability. Bowling is easier to master, that's why all the minnows become better at bowling before batting.

A cultured kid with a clean traditional technique is ideal. Much more preffered than a mid 20 something labourer who has suddenly gone professional in Pakistan. This is why I keep saying they need to explore the private schools and offer sponsorships to take on cricket full time from a young age.
Age group cricket is very vital in shaping up of talent pool at your disposal.

Basically mindsets and exposure.

U-17 kids in India these days are exposed to cut throat competition and all youngsters who debut for India have a few years of IPL under their belt where they again face off against the best talent in the world under extreme pressure and in presence of big crowd.

They also get exposed to these big players and icons from a very young age, exposed to the best fitness standards and technicians. Hence by the time they debut for India they are mentally super ready.

Someone like Azam Khan will struggle to make an IPL team let alone be anywhere near national selection in India. Remember that Sarfaraz Khan was kept on the fringe for a long time despite churning out big numbers in Domestic because of concerns on his fitness. But thankfully he has shown that he is test match fit and has shown the appetite for int cricket.

Even the senior players aren't exempt from fitness standards. Rohit might look unfit but he performs in yo yo tests as good as Kohli.

They play a selfless brand of cricket, prioritising national interest over personal milestones.

Basically mindsets and exposure.

U-17 kids in India these days are exposed to cut throat competition and all youngsters who debut for India have a few years of IPL under their belt where they again face off against the best talent in the world under extreme pressure and in presence of big crowd.

They also get exposed to these big players and icons from a very young age, exposed to the best fitness standards and technicians. Hence by the time they debut for India they are mentally super ready.

Someone like Azam Khan will struggle to make an IPL team let alone be anywhere near national selection in India. Remember that Sarfaraz Khan was kept on the fringe for a long time despite churning out big numbers in Domestic because of concerns on his fitness. But thankfully he has shown that he is test match fit and has shown the appetite for int cricket.

Even the senior players aren't exempt from fitness standards. Rohit might look unfit but he performs in yo yo tests as good as Kohli.
Right, Rohit is very fit 👍🏻 He can even do one arm pushup, which is very difficult to do

These young guys think that playing a cool shot and looking stylish is enough for them and in the process they forget that longevity matters. Temperament matters.

Bits and pieces players are being hyped too much nowadays instead of guy who is grinding 24/7 in the domestic circuit.

More u19 tour and a-tours should be arranged for these youngsters as well.

Strange take. Majority of Pakistan’s best batters like Inzi, Yousuf, Miandad, and Babar from Pakistan never went to private schools. On the other hand in India, Jaisawal, Rohit Sharma and many others came from extremely humble backgrounds.
There appears to be no correlation between elite education and batting.
It definitely is skill intensive and I believe the focus should be on skill development and coaching, irrespective of the schooling background.

Bowling is not issue for Pakistan as they already have some promising young quicks.

But, take a look at numbers of these highly hyped young batsmen from Pakistan.

1. Saim Ayub
(averaging just 14 across 21 innings with a strike rate of only 122)

He is Pakistan's most talked about young batsman and righty so as he has shown great performance in PSL. A respectable average of 44 in first class prove that he can bat long. But, what happened to him playing internationals. He is yet to score a half century, even after regularly playing against Afghanistan and Ireland.

2. Mohammad Haris
( averaging 7 and 14 in ODIs and T20is respectively, t20i strike rate of 127)

Haris played a blinder against South Africa in 2022 world cup. But he has nothing to show after that. Unlike Saim, his domestic stats are very poor. He is also yet to score a single 50 in his international career.

3. Azam Khan
( t20i average of 8 with strike rate of 133)

He is definitely talented. But, his stats don't do justice to his talent. If series against Ireland removed, his stats look like Chris Martinesque. Again, he has zero fifties.

4. Usman Khan
( t20i average of 14 with strike rate of 128
)

Same story, blockbuster at PSL but flop at international stage. To his defense, he didn't played at his natural spot.

You see, all these four batting talents are highly rated in Pakistan. But, everyone has batting average less than 15, and not a single batsman managed to score a fifty despite playing handful of matches.

Are they comparable to batting talents like Sudharsan, Ravindra , Parag, Abhishek, Jaiswal, Stubbs, Brook or even Nissanka.?

What is wrong with them.? They score heavily in so called bowler dominating PSL, but struggle for runs in international cricket even against minnows.

Do they even deserve to play international cricket? Are they timid, talentless or simply league cricket bullies??
It can happen. They can all benefit from more first class seasoning as none of them are Pakistan’s domestic products. Saim too has scanty FC experience.
Regardless of strike rate, they should back domestic performers like Sahibzyada Farhan, Tayyab Tahir, Agha Salman, Saud Shakeel, Abdullah Shafique and work on their powergame with targeted coaching.

Strange take. Majority of Pakistan’s best batters like Inzi, Yousuf, Miandad, and Babar from Pakistan never went to private schools. On the other hand in India, Jaisawal, Rohit Sharma and many others came from extremely humble backgrounds.
There appears to be no correlation between elite education and batting.
It definitely is skill intensive and I believe the focus should be on skill development and coaching, irrespective of the schooling background.
Yes. This

What made India stronger and more ruthless was these cricketers coming through from humble backgrounds with a street fighter attitude. Till 90s India had a lot of these priivileged, educated and sophisticated kinds of cricketers who were too polite and too shy. And that showed in the results too.

Indian cricket is truly secular now.

Exactly. When the face of Pakistan cricket and role model is Shahid Afridi, what do people expect? Every kid growing up would wanna be next Afridi, and then finally end up with such poor technique or just another hack like Afridi.

I'll repeat again.

These youngsters' confidence has taken a severe dent due to regularly facing the world's toughest bowling league.
Their confidence is already bruised, battered, and bowled over in PSL before they step foot in international cricket.
:inti

I'll repeat again.

These youngsters' confidence has taken a severe dent due to regularly facing the world's toughest bowling league.
Their confidence is already bruised, battered, and bowled over in PSL before they step foot in international cricket.
:inti
Lol even ordinary batsman like Luke Ronchi, Kamran Akmal and Ben Dunk play like tigers in PSL. Best bowling league... Hahaha.

Saim Ayub was man of the series in last PSL but yet to score a fifty even after playing 20+ matches.

Lol even ordinary batsman like Luke Ronchi, Kamran Akmal and Ben Dunk play like tigers in PSL. Best bowling league... Hahaha.

Saim Ayub was man of the series in last PSL but yet to score a fifty even after playing 20+ matches.
He was being sarcastic bro

Are you trying to implying that the numerous ex and current Pak/foreign players and coaches who have declared PSL to be the best bowling league in the world were actually brainwashed, blackmailed or worse bribed by PCB to do so?

After so many moons you telling us that they all were not really impressed by the bowling skills and talent on display in PSL but were just pretending to be awestruck to get their hands on some sweet cash?
:ssa2

I think there’s too much focus on youngsters. We play a lot of them often at the same time. But because there’s so much pressure as a result, often competing with each other, they don’t perform.

It’s much easier and less pressure if it’s one or two youngsters in a team where the whole batting line up is performing.

Might be worth just forgetting youngsters entirely until it’s a good environment to bring them in. Maybe try fakhar opening again, bring in guys like Saud Shakeel and Salman Agha who will probably be decent even if they aren’t spectacular. Maybe Abdullah because like the other two he has performances in other formats too. Then we have a more or less working line up, where at least 4 batsmen are decent or greater, it’ll be easier to add a youngster.

I think there’s too much focus on youngsters. We play a lot of them often at the same time. But because there’s so much pressure as a result, often competing with each other, they don’t perform.

It’s much easier and less pressure if it’s one or two youngsters in a team where the whole batting line up is performing.

Might be worth just forgetting youngsters entirely until it’s a good environment to bring them in. Maybe try fakhar opening again, bring in guys like Saud Shakeel and Salman Agha who will probably be decent even if they aren’t spectacular. Maybe Abdullah because like the other two he has performances in other formats too. Then we have a more or less working line up, where at least 4 batsmen are decent or greater, it’ll be easier to add a youngster.

Not handling pressure is the result of lack of competency. Obviously our youth system is broken.

Not handling pressure is the result of lack of competency. Obviously our youth system is broken.
This is true. I remember seeing guys like Umar akmal and Babar on debut. The talent was on a different scale to these current youngsters.

But if you have less talented batsmen you have to make it easier for them to perform. Try and get them playing alongside performing players. Maybe they won’t reach the required level at 21 years as they’re not talented enough, instead maybe hit it at 26.

I think it’s a harder situation for a young Pakistani batsman to come through with that Pakistani batting line up, then say a young Indian batsman into an Indian batting line up. Even if the Indian batsman is more talented.

This is true. I remember seeing guys like Umar akmal and Babar on debut. The talent was on a different scale to these current youngsters.

But if you have less talented batsmen you have to make it easier for them to perform. Try and get them playing alongside performing players. Maybe they won’t reach the required level at 21 years as they’re not talented enough, instead maybe hit it at 26.

I think it’s a harder situation for a young Pakistani batsman to come through with that Pakistani batting line up, then say a young Indian batsman into an Indian batting line up. Even if the Indian batsman is more talented.

That's what has been happening now. It's so hit and miss. Who have we produced in the last 10 years. Just Babar.

They should send their 16 year olds to play in england for 4 years fully paid and see which ones consistently perform. They will benefit from the coaches there. They will have direction and a purpose. A work ethic.

The one thing BCCI did well over the years is grooming these small town players when they eventually make the highest level. That's the biggest difference between India and Pakistan. The young players who get through to the Pakistan national side don't improve in skill or personality even after few years of international cricket. I remember reading it somewhere few years ago that this was one of the agenda of BCCI as there are lots of young players come from humble backgrounds. The appointment of Rahul Dravid to manage U19 & India A sides was was a step towards that. Apart from improvement of skills mental aspect of the development is very crucial and if that happens at u19 level and before getting to National side it helps.

Pakistan need to concentrate on that. We all talk about seniors in the team and how they can influence for the better or for the worse. Please listen to the interview of Kiran More in Caught Behind channel and he speaks about the influence, Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman had during their playing days. This has always lacked in Pakistan, great role models after Imran. I don't know how much Pakistan player learn from the different leagues they play. We can see Afghanistan who speak highly of Rashid Khan and Mohammad Nabi as to how important their leadership is for the development of their players. I can't think of a single Pakistan player over the past few years who can be spoken in the same vein.

An extremely poor domestic structure and an emphasis on T20 cricket basically where they're not concerned on improving their skills or fitness or anything in general.

Comparing them with Indian newbies is an insult as the emphasis they put on their FC cricket is showing as those guys avg around 40 and then are hitting their straps in T20 too.

India has always produced good batters compared to Pakistan who've produced good bowlers over the years.

You'd rarely see a batting talent come out of Pakistan as the last one was perhaps Babar Azam who's on a gradual downfall but he never went to the elitist level either consistently.

Pakistan has batters but they are not groomed like Jaiswal etc. Look at where Jaiswal is atm. He is young and already made a mark in cricket in each former. Look at abhishek who struck a 45 ball century in his 2nd t20 game.

It's the root that is rotten. Need to fix the root then the whole tree will be fruitful.

Last edited:
Pakistan has batters but they are not groomed like Jaiswal etc. Look at where Jaiswal is atm. He is young and already made a mark i cricket in each former. Look at abhishek who struck a 45 ball century in his 2nd t20 game.

It the root that is rotten. Need to fix the root then the whole tree will be fruitful.
Jaiswal is yet to debut in ODIs. India are preferring Sudharsan ahead of him in ODIs

Innings - 59
Runs - 703
Balls - 569
Batting Average - 13.01
Strike Rate - 123.55
Fifties - Zero

Highest Score - 49

These players are unselfish. Low combined average and strike rate of these batters don't matter because they play for the team.
We don't want selfish 40+ averaging statpadders

These players are unselfish. Low combined average and strike rate of these batters don't matter because they play for the team.
We don't want selfish 40+ averaging statpadders
Ik you're being sarcastic, but Saim, Usman Khan and Azam Khan are not international material and Azam reeks of being a Nepo baby.

The issue that I have is that players who have actually shown potential are not brought forward.

Abdullah shafiq scored a world cup century and a test double hundred, saud shakeel scored a test 200. Shabzada farhan seems to be mature enough to make a debut as well. Salman Ali agha is already seeking to be a 100x superior to Shadab. Fakhar Zaman at his absolute peak is better then anyone in the dugout.

But no efforts are being made to improve fakhar and ensure he's at his best every game, no effort is being made to promote the others who've shown promise. All eyes are on babar and rizwan.

Look of you want babar and rizwan in the team because their consistent then great, Do so with whole hearted content.

But that doesn't mean you compromise other upcoming batters and don't try to improve them especially when the likes of Abdullah shafiq, Abrar Ahmed, Salman Ali agha, Saud shakeel, Fakhar Zaman(Peak), Shabzada farhan etc etc have shown promise.

Instead people like salman Ali agha, Abdullah shafiq, Saud shakeel, Abrar are all sitting out for frauds like Chacha or players who just don't have the technique to succeed at international level like azam khan or usman Khan

Lack of self confidence is actually a basic cause otherwise these same players have scored enough runs in domestic cricket to get selected for the national team. They just need proper chances and backing from seniors but nahi our seniors are busy doing leg pulling.

Back