Will a Javelin match series between Arshad Nadeem and Neeraj Chopra be a good idea?

Will a Javelin match series between Arshad Nadeem and Neeraj Chopra be a good idea?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Former Pakistan cricket team star Basit Ali believes that India and Pakistan should play bilateral series of hockey, javelin or kabaddi if BCCI and PCB fail to agree on a cricket series. India and Pakistan have not played a bilateral cricket for more than a decade due to political tensions. As a result, questions remain over whether India will be travelling to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy 2025. During an interaction on YouTube, Basit said that the whole world is in front of the television when Neeraj and Arshad compete in javelin. He added that if they compete in a javelin series, it will be bigger than the India-Australia series.

"Arshad Nadeem beat Neeraj Chopra at the Paris Olympics; otherwise, it was a certain gold medal for India. The Indian cricket team has made it clear that they won't travel to Pakistan, so just conduct a bilateral series of hockey, javelin, or kabaddi between India and Pakistan in some other country, and you will know whether the India-Australia series is bigger or the India-Pakistan match is bigger," Basit said.

"When Neeraj and Arshad compete in javelin, the whole world will be in front of the television, and the stadium will be full," the former Pakistan cricketer added.

Earlier, former India coach Ravi Shastri backed the Rohit Sharma-led side to comfortably clinch the Test series against Australia. Basit said that the comments made by the Indian and Australian experts are targeted at creating a buzz around the series. He also pointed out that although there is interest in other series, they cannot compete with the popularity of an India vs Pakistan encounter.

"I think they are trying to create hype. The whole world knows that India vs Pakistan is on one side and everything else is on the other side. Even Ashes isn't that big. So, you are going to hear such statements now," he said.

Source: NDTV

Yes, it would be a very good idea, but unfortunately, it's not going to happen anytime soon

Neeraj and Arshad names will be in the News for another month. Then people will forget them.

Even if India plays Pakistan in Hockey (which they are traditionally good at), not many watch it. Who is going to watch 2 guys throw Javelin? How many times can they throw in an hour?

This event is good for once every 4 years.

I just fear one thing for Arshad after having a shower with money he may lose his focus and appetite for further glory.

The whole gripping drama between these two is competition on the biggest stage which is the olympics.

This will just be a cheap cash grab

It would be a good match to watch. In fact it would be more fascinating than a Pakistan-India cricket match.

would make more sense to make it a 10 man competition, both countries could use the spotlight of the olympics to develop an actual legacy, but this wont happen and once neeraj and arshad retire both countries will return to obscurity in the sport, imo

would make more sense to make it a 10 man competition, both countries could use the spotlight of the olympics to develop an actual legacy, but this wont happen and once neeraj and arshad retire both countries will return to obscurity in the sport, imo
I don't think it's the case in india. 6 medals plus 12 finishes in 4th place.All the medalists are quite young, if govt can continue to spent money as latest one,it should be respectable tally in 15 years.
Wrestling, Archery, Shooting, Badminton, Table tennis ,Boxing are going in good direction. Will like to see few more horizons to join to preserve the intensity and depth. Atleast people have stopped to see athletes as harmful virus on their kids.As both of us are not a sporting country, it's good .

Anything idea related to India-Pakistan sports is a good idea especially cricket and now this Javelin throw event is all hyped up.

Arshad Nadeem's mother expresses strong desire to invite Neeraj Chopra to Pakistan, says 'I will call him to my home...'

Arshad Nadeem's mother, Raziah Parveen, has extended a heartfelt invitation to her son's rival-turned-friend, Neeraj Chopra, to visit their home in Pakistan. While Pakistan's Arshad Nadeem clinched gold medal with a record-breaking throw in javelin final at Paris Olympics, India's Neeraj Chopra won silver with his season-best throw. Arshad Nadeem shattered the Olympic record with a phenomenal second attempt of 92.97m, securing the gold medal. Meanwhile, Neeraj Chopra's impressive throw of 89.45 meters earned him the silver.

The invitation came in response to a question from a Pakistani news channel about the heartwarming bond between the mothers of the two javelin stars.

The journalist highlighted the positive interactions between Saroj Devi and Raziah Parveen on social media, where they expressed immense pride and admiration for both athletes. The genuine affection between the two mothers has resonated with fans worldwide, transcending the competitive spirit between their sons.

When asked if she would invite Neeraj Chopra to their home in Pakistan, Arshad Nadeem's mother, Raziah Parveen, enthusiastically agreed. Speaking to Geo News, she stated:

“Of course, I will call him to my home.”

Arshad Nadeem was asked about the possibility of inviting Neeraj Chopra to Pakistan. The 28-year-old athlete explained that their interactions have been limited to competitions and training camps, leaving little opportunity for a personal visit. However, Nadeem added with a laugh that he might extend an invitation in the future.

“Whenever we meet, it is mainly during an event or while training before an event. So I never got a chance, but now I will (laughs),” Nadeem said.

Arshad Nadeem's mother previously expressed her admiration for Neeraj Chopra, describing him as her son's friend and brother. She even revealed that she prayed for Chopra's success during the javelin throw final.

"Wo (Neeraj chopra) mere bete ka dost bhi hai aur bhai bhi. Main donu ke liye duaien kar rahi thi. Haar jeet to kismat ki baat hai. (Winning or losing is a matter of destiny. He (Neeraj Chopra) is both a friend and a brother to my son. I was praying for both of them)." Arshad Nadeem's mother, Raziah Parveen, told Independent Urdu.

Upon Neeraj Chopra's return home with the silver medal, his mother, Saroj Devi, expressed immense pride and warmth towards Arshad Nadeem.

"We are happy with the silver. The one who got the gold is also my child," Saroj Devi had earlier said.

"I Never Thought...": Neeraj Chopra On Arshad Nadeem's Olympic Record Throw That Earned Pakistan Star Gold​

Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra, who won the silver medal at the Paris Olympics, said he couldn't push himself to his extreme. Chopra fell short of retaining his gold medal in the men's javelin throw at the recent-concluded marquee event securing silver with a best throw of 89.45 meters. Speaking at a virtual press briefing, Neeraj said that mentally he was ready but lacked in the physical area. The 26-year-old accepted that his legwork was not how it should have ben during the final.

"I never thought I couldn't do it... Arshad Nadeem's previous best was at 90.18 metres which he threw at the Commonwealth Games, and my previous best was 89.94 metres... I couldn't push myself to my extreme. Mentally I was ready but physically, I was retraining myself. My legwork on the runway was not how it should have been. My efforts were going in vain. My throw immediately after Nadeem's throw was good because I was extremely positive...," Neeraj said.

Neeraj also revealed his next competition and said that he will participate in the Lausanne Diamond League, which will kick off on August 22.

"... I have finally decided to participate in the Lausanne Diamond League, which begins August 22," he added.

Pakistan's Arshad Nadeem won gold with a throw of 92.97 meters, setting a new Olympic record and surpassing Denmark's Andreas Thorkildsen's mark from Beijing 2008. Grenada's Anderson Peters secured bronze with a throw of 88.54 meters.

Earlier, Chopra had achieved a throw of 89.34 meters in the Group B qualification round, his second-best all-time throw. Despite a competitive rivalry with Nadeem, where Chopra led 9-0 in their head-to-head matchups, Nadeem's throw of 90.18 meters at the 2022 Commonwealth Games exceeded Chopra's top effort.

Following the failure to defend his gold medal, Neeraj expressed dissatisfaction with his performance and revealed that the last two to three years were not good for him in terms of fitness.

"It was a good throw but I am not that happy with my performance today. My technique and runway was not that good. (I managed) only one throw, the rest I fouled," Neeraj said according to Olympics.com.

"(For my) second throw I believed to think I can also throw that far. But in javelin, if your run is not so good, you cannot throw very far," added Neeraj.

The Indian ace javelin thrower, who also is the current Asian Games champion, said that injuries leading to his title defence in Paris made some difference and he will have to work on being injury-free and on his technique.

"The last two or three years were not so good for me. I am always injured. I really tried hard, but I have to work on my injury (staying injury-free) and technique," the 26-year-old added.

Neeraj Chopra Lausanne Diamond League Javelin: Indian Olympic Medallist Aims Glory​

According to reports, Pakistan's Arshad Nadeem will miss the Diamond League event scheduled for Friday. Nadeem, who clinched the gold medal at the Paris Olympics 2024, will not be competing in the upcoming meet.

Neeraj Chopra Lausanne Diamond League Javelin: Winning an Olympic silver is a remarkable achievement, but for Neeraj Chopra, his standards have always been set for gold since his historic triumph at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Reflecting on his performance, Chopra, despite his smile on the podium, acknowledged that his goal had been to secure the top spot once again. He candidly mentioned that a minor injury played a role in limiting his performance, but it didn’t deter his relentless pursuit of excellence. His mindset remains focused on pushing the boundaries and reclaiming gold in future competitions.

Neeraj Chopra, despite his remarkable achievements, has yet to break the elusive 90-meter mark in his javelin career. While he has consistently thrown in the high 80s, including a personal best of 89.94 meters, crossing 90 meters remains a significant milestone.

As the Diamond League 2024 unfolds, there's anticipation around whether he can surpass that barrier. Given his steady improvements, technical refinement, and mental fortitude, it's possible that Chopra could achieve the 90-meter mark in this year's competition. However, it will depend on factors like weather conditions, his fitness (especially considering his ongoing hernia issue), and the competition environment.

Source: India Today

Back