Will lack of speed radar guns in domestic cricket cost Pakistan?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
The first game of the Champions cup is over and already we got some wonderful performances. From Kamran Ghulam's gritty century, to samad making Tim David Proud, It look like this tournament will he a banger.

However theirs one glaring issue in that this tournament does not have any Speed guns to check the pace of pacers and spinners. Now granted it doesn't have any DRS either bit that's not as big an issue.

During the Bamgaldesh series, Nahid rana was destroying and dismissing Pakistani batters who despite Rana bolwing average line and length, Was just too quick for pur batters to react to, Meanwhile Mir Hamza despite having better line and length was getting taken to the cleaners for lack of pace.

It was clear as day that Pakistan was sorely missing a fast 140 to 150 kph pacers from our unit.

Imo, An extremely fast pacer is a great investment as by working on improving their line and length, they can become great assets for the Pakistani side and can hold the key to our pace bowling woes that have been plaguing Pakistan for a year and a half.

However with the absence of Speed guns, How can PCB select quality talent? We saw via the PSL, that getting the most wickets(Usama Mir) or being the most economical (Mohammad ali) isn't a great metric for selecting player, as both turned out to be pretty useless in the international circuit especially in ali's case due to lack of pace?

You can guage the speed with your eye and how the batsman plays the ball.
Fair but still very difficult to do. You'll be stuck playing a guessing game.

Like in the Bangladesh vs Pakistan test series, I couldnt tell how fast the pacers were bowling with the exception of Rana as it was easy to visually tell.

Besides rana and Mir Hamza who I could visually tell, I wouldn't be able to note the difference between hasan mahmud and Ali. On TV it looks like similar pace but speed guns tell you hasan mahmud is bowling much much faster.

TV and watching it live is different and really only the umpires have the best view and gauge

You can guage the speed with your eye and how the batsman plays the ball.
id agree to an extent, but we are used to watching test or international-level batsman mostly. inferior batsmen will make medium pacers look quick.

Too poor management by PCB. Just diminishes the incentive to bowl fast from the young lads

id agree to an extent, but we are used to watching test or international-level batsman mostly. inferior batsmen will make medium pacers look quick.
Sure it definitely detracts from viewing and a casual viewer may not be able to see whats going on but I don't see it becoming as costly for Pakistan cricket as the OP suggests.

Would be very useful. England are using I Hawk cameras for ball tracking in domestic.

A speed gun would definitely help and should be a minimum imo.

You can objectively identify high pace options , batters who are capable of hitting high pace etc.

Exactly. It's basic stuff like this. PCB should have invested in decent speed guns and installed them in various stadiums years ago, yet, here we are in 2024 and still lacking basic modern technology. How do you expect your coaching tactics, medical practices, and all other things to keep up then if you can't even insure basic modern tech and practices are incorporated?

Would be very useful. England are using I Hawk cameras for ball tracking in domestic.

You can objectively identify high pace options , batters who are capable of hitting high pace etc.
Actually you have a point and I stand corrected.

You can extract a lot more data if you have the speeds ball by ball and analyse how each batsman played each ball.

@mominsaigol you have a point. The lack of data could be costly.

Yah, if it will help with not only finding bowlers who could bowl faster but also batsmen who are able to play them well.

Extreme will be easy to notice even without speed gun, but you can miss out whole range in middle and unknowingly brakcet them together.

Two very good points shared by posters.

I can't believe there is no speed gun. Certainly it would cost less than 25 Million PKR a month you are paying to mentors.

No point. Pakistan only has 125 - 135 KPH trundlers. What kind of revelation will it offer?

No pace bowling is fine in limited overs cricket in terms of speed.

Pakistan bowlers bowled the most no. Of 140ks plus deliveries in 2023 world cup.

Haris rauf bowled the 2nd fastest delivery of the world cup at 154 I think.

Even in 2024 t20 world cup Pakistani bowlers bowled high no. Of 140 plus deliveries.

Pakistan struggle in first class cricket with bowlers like mir the trundler hamza bowling at women's speed.

Fair but still very difficult to do. You'll be stuck playing a guessing game.

Like in the Bangladesh vs Pakistan test series, I couldnt tell how fast the pacers were bowling with the exception of Rana as it was easy to visually tell.

Besides rana and Mir Hamza who I could visually tell, I wouldn't be able to note the difference between hasan mahmud and Ali. On TV it looks like similar pace but speed guns tell you hasan mahmud is bowling much much faster.

TV and watching it live is different and really only the umpires have the best view and gauge
For that you need speed first. Most in domestics don't have much speed. Lol.

Speed guns should be there no matter what trundler we have in domestic cricket. I don' think there is anything wrong with it. Speed gun is a basic thing in cricket nowadays but here we have PCB with their Usual blunders.

Speed guns should be there no matter what trundler we have in domestic cricket. I don' think there is anything wrong with it. Speed gun is a basic thing in cricket nowadays but here we have PCB with their Usual blunders.
There are hand held speed guns that cost like 200 pounds. I have seen coaches and umpire use it in club cricket.

How much would a more apt automatic non handheld speed gun would cost?

Back