Will PSL teams be included if BCCI, ECB and CA succeed in reviving Champions League?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs

'Active conversations' on between BCCI, ECB and Cricket Australia to revive CLT20​

Ten years after its previous edition, "active conversations" are on between the cricket boards of Australia, England and India to revive the Champions League T20 (CLT20) tournament. This comes from Cricket Victoria CEO Nick Cummins, who also said the biggest challenge would be to find a window in the jampacked cricket calendar for the tournament.

"I think the Champions League was ahead of its time. The T20 landscape wasn't mature enough at that point. I think it is now," Cummins said on the sidelines of an event in Mumbai on Tuesday. "I know that there's active conversations between Cricket Australia, the ECB, and the BCCI about the Champions League.

"It's just trying to find a window as to when you actually play that, because you've also got all the ICC tournaments as well. It may be that the first iteration of the Champions League will be of the women… [it may involve cricketers playing in] the WPL, the Hundred and the WBBL."

The last edition of the CLT20 was held in India in 2014, with Chennai Super Kings (CSK) winning the title after defeating Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the final in Bengaluru. That edition of the tournament, then in its sixth year, involved three teams from India, two each from Australia and South Africa, and one each from Pakistan, the West Indies and New Zealand.

The tournament was played annually from 2009 to 2014, four times in India and twice in South Africa. The tournament was won twice each by CSK and Mumbai Indians (MI), and once each by New South Wales and Sydney Sixers.

Cummins said he had been in talks with Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley for the revival of the CLT20, and that BCCI secretary Jay Shah might be in a position to shed more light on the topic.

"I'm constantly talking to Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia CEO, for a Champions League, because I think it's pretty important to bring that back," Cummins said. "There are talks about it. It's probably a question to ask Jay Shah. But certainly, from an Australia cricket perspective, we are very open to the idea of the Champions League. It's just about finding a window in the FTP, but I think that's the next step in the evolution of cricket."

Cummins drew comparisons with the club-based Champions League in football, saying that cricket needed to find a similar balance between international- and club-based competitions.

"No other competition has Indian players. The IPL doesn't have Pakistan players. So there is no competition in the world with the best players. The Champions League would be a way for the best to be playing against each other"

Cricket Victoria CEO Nick Cummins

"We still haven't made out which league is the best. IPL, PSL or the Big Bash? The only way we can show that is by having Melbourne Stars play Karachi Kings or Mumbai Indians," Cummins said. "Champions League is well overdue. Look at what Champions League does for football, the World Cup is fantastic and the Champions League is there [too] every time.

"The idea of Mumbai Indians playing Melbourne Stars at the MCG would be just as exciting as India playing Australia at the MCG.

"Football had a really big club vs country tension in the 90s. And they found a way for international football to exist side by side with leagues. Cricket is going through it at the moment. Every country has the right to have a T20 league, whether it is Nepal or Ireland. We shouldn't place controls on how members want to play cricket.

"The reality is there is no T20 competition in the world which has the best players in the world playing in it. Champions League would actually provide that. No other competition has Indian players. The IPL doesn't have Pakistan players. So there is no competition in the world with the best players. The Champions League would be a way for the best to be playing against each other."

What do you guys think, will PSL be allowed to participate in the tournament?

The rules need to be clear

Champions league should be between domestic regions, not franchise teams

Too many overseas players playing for too many champion franchise team, which one will they represent on the day?

Too many overseas players playing for too many champion franchise team, which one will they represent on the day?
I think ipl teams used to compensate other teams sharing the foreigners almost like a highest bidder and no one can beat a ipl team there.Domestic teams are not popular and commercially suited for international audience.i remember Surrey team brought a good team once and performed well.But am not sure anyone remember's any name .Aus representative was speaking about psl too .so they may join after 1,2 years I believe.This time it will be tested with few teams at first and then will expand I guess

Most important thing is half of the franchises are owned by ipl.so it's very interesting how they will share resources

I think ipl teams used to compensate other teams sharing the foreigners almost like a highest bidder and no one can beat a ipl team there.Domestic teams are not popular and commercially suited for international audience.i remember Surrey team brought a good team once and performed well.But am not sure anyone remember's any name .Aus representative was speaking about psl too .so they may join after 1,2 years I believe.This time it will be tested with few teams at first and then will expand I guess
Personally I recon what they should do is make a year to year draft/auction for all domestic teams that top their leagues.

So the players that are not from the champion sides should enter the draft, and teams can pick their overseas players.

They seem to have explicitly mentioned PSL a few times. Perhaps this is CA way of trying to get some of the Indo-Pak money they have been trying to get with but by using franchise leagues as a bit of a work around.

Personally I recon what they should do is make a year to year draft/auction for all domestic teams that top their leagues.

So the players that are not from the champion sides should enter the draft, and teams can pick their overseas players.
But loyal franchise fan base won't appreciate any outsiders. Few players like abd, gayle,pollard etc are treated like franchise properties by fans.one issue with domestic teams is some teams are very strong ,so even a franchise team may struggle to beat.
Below is the example of Nsw team in champions league 2010 winners.

Would be an extreme borefest. Domestic cricket sucks. Its already too much!

They seem to have explicitly mentioned PSL a few times. Perhaps this is CA way of trying to get some of the Indo-Pak money they have been trying to get with but by using franchise leagues as a bit of a work around.
CA's big bash is dying - they are just trying to pull another revenue stream. Champions League is a bad bad idea. We need more international cricket.

CA's big bash is dying - they are just trying to pull another revenue stream. Champions League is a bad bad idea. We need more international cricket.

Why doesn't Cricket Australia involve the private sector and foreign businesses to buy the big Bash teams?

Cricket Australia needs to do away with their existing model of owning and operating the teams themselves. The hundred is already in talks of getting their teams bought by US, UK and IPL franchise owners.

CA have been angling for an Indo Pak series after their stadium sold out during the last WC

BCCI has said no.

This is their second option now. They know it can be a money spinner.

Frankly I'm all for a champions league. It will help regulate the franchise market too. For example if CPL franchise know that one of their marquee players is not available for champions league coz he will play for an IPL side then they may not sign him and find someone else.

Would be an extreme borefest. Domestic cricket sucks. Its already too much!
Personally I think this is a non starter. There is simply no demand. Eyeballs were and will be minimal. So this whole process is a waste of time for all people involved.

BCCI has already indicated long time ago that they have no interest in CL. Which leaves only two options.

1. Let things be as is and CL never sees the light of day.
2. The rest of the boards put their heads together and come up with a viable CL and play amongst themselves. Without IPL teams.

Personally I think this is a non starter. There is simply no demand. Eyeballs were and will be minimal. So this whole process is a waste of time for all people involved.

BCCI has already indicated long time ago that they have no interest in CL. Which leaves only two options.

2. The rest of the boards put their heads together and come up with a viable CL and play amongst themselves. Without IPL teams.
Franchise cricket has matured since then.

Overall yes the original CL was quite poor and nobody really wants a return to that. But If marketed properly and good rules are in place then there can be decent demand.

Personally I'd make it a format that occurs every 2 years and make the T20i WC every four years.

Franchise cricket has matured since then.

Overall yes the original CL was quite poor and nobody really wants a return to that. But If marketed properly and good rules are in place then there can be decent demand.

Personally I'd make it a format that occurs every 2 years and make the T20i WC every four years.
Perhaps you may be right. But not convinced.

Things have changed for the good since CL was last on. But that pretty much applies only to IPL. It has skyrocketed to unbelievable heights. But the rest of the leagues have stagnated at best. Some even going down in demand. There are a couple of leagues in its infancy. So the jury is still out on them.

So I still do not fully believe that outside the IPL fans, many others will tune in. But the IPL teams are unlikely to be involved. The BCCI has no interest. Given this, I find it hard to believe CL can be made into a profitable tournament.

Why doesn't Cricket Australia involve the private sector and foreign businesses to buy the big Bash teams?

Cricket Australia needs to do away with their existing model of owning and operating the teams themselves. The hundred is already in talks of getting their teams bought by US, UK and IPL franchise owners.

CA have been angling for an Indo Pak series after their stadium sold out during the last WC

BCCI has said no.

This is their second option now. They know it can be a money spinner.

Frankly I'm all for a champions league. It will help regulate the franchise market too. For example if CPL franchise know that one of their marquee players is not available for champions league coz he will play for an IPL side then they may not sign him and find someone else.
Whats the point? I am more than happy if a domestic league dies. The market is already over-saturated. There are already like 7-8 domestic leagues for a sport thats played by 10 countries.

Champions league is a dead on arrival idea. It sounds fanciful because people mentally compare it to the european champions league which is not even in the same spectrum. Way beyond. Cricket can never reach that level.

In cricket, international cricket was, is and always will be the gold standard be it any format. Its not like football and these cricket boards need to wake up and smell some coffee.

BCCI already has started fatiguing their audience by increasing the length of IPL. I will be looking at the end of season numbers.

Good points. I personally would like a future consolidation of domestic leagues. For example, Sri Lanka, Bangla can enter their teams in PSL and make it a tri-nation tournament. Of course its a very rudimentary thought, not sure how the financials would pan out. But i can definitely see it being an increase in investment, audience numbers and tv revenue. But the delta needs to justify the decision. This would definitely help in reducing the amount of domestic cricket though.

Please no more franchise nonsense, can't take this stupidity any longer.

Should be. But if IPL franchises want/demand. PSL teams won't be in any champions league

Good points. I personally would like a future consolidation of domestic leagues. For example, Sri Lanka, Bangla can enter their teams in PSL and make it a tri-nation tournament. Of course its a very rudimentary thought, not sure how the financials would pan out. But i can definitely see it being an increase in investment, audience numbers and tv revenue. But the delta needs to justify the decision. This would definitely help in reducing the amount of domestic cricket though.
I like this idea and have advocated for similar.

Unfortunately franchise cricket is here to stay we just need to make sure it is managed better

Perhaps you may be right. But not convinced.

Things have changed for the good since CL was last on. But that pretty much applies only to IPL. It has skyrocketed to unbelievable heights. But the rest of the leagues have stagnated at best. Some even going down in demand. There are a couple of leagues in its infancy. So the jury is still out on them.

So I still do not fully believe that outside the IPL fans, many others will tune in. But the IPL teams are unlikely to be involved. The BCCI has no interest. Given this, I find it hard to believe CL can be made into a profitable tournament.
Yeah it's heavily dependent on Indians and NRI and if they aren't interested then it will probably be a no go.

The answer is obvious no as BCCI don't want any cricket ties with Pakistan unless its an ICC event. However in this specific case the fans can't cry of discrimination. The last Champions league was played 12 years ago, everyone knew its a brilliant concept if implemented correctly, I have said this here multiple times too. PCB had enough time and should have taken the initiative to launch one with EBC/CA. However, most boards are lazy and wait for BCCI to take all the initiative. As I said multiple times, Champions league is an untapped golden goose and has the potential to be the greatest cricket tournament.

How will Kolkata Knight Riders play Trinbago Riders and Durban Riders , same is the case for Mumbai Indians and Cape Indians , the tourney will be nothing but a farce as proven decades ago.

Basically SAT20 and CPL are feeder teams of IPL just like Abu Dhabi Group

I can't consume one more T20 league competition. I am already fatigued of T20. There are already so many leagues with players displaying their loyalty to a new team every month. I have lost emotional connection with the sport. Now, watching cricket is like watching an episode of a web series. Watch it and forget it. Or maybe I have matured now.

Champions League ran into losses that’s why they decided to scrap it. Wishlist should be kept separate from rationality.

Too many leagues already some of these leagues need to merge so we can have more test cricket especially for pakistan

There should never be a champions league unless cricketers commit to play for one franchise only. From a fans POV, the last version of CL Cricket didn’t make sense to me.

If Bharat Pakistan relations were better, ideally I would rather have 1 PSL team play IPL every year.

big 3 can form their own Champions League, thats quite possible. but again the biggest head ache is players bring part of multiple teams. Any Champion team would be handicapped without their star players.
Same thing happened in the ill conceived attempt in the past.

Might as well just arrange a tri-nation event or 5-nations event if not the full Champions League-type event.

It would be hard for franchises to keep their top players to play for them instead of playing for any other team.

Back