"With 150-170, we could have a real chance because there's still enough in the wicket" : M Arthur

jeetu

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
"With 150-170, we could have a real chance because there's still enough in the wicket" : M Arthur

Neil Wagner and Trent Boult left Pakistan's second innings in tatters Saturday to put New Zealand in sight of a comprehensive first test victory at the end of the third day in Christchurch.

The tourists lost six wickets in the final session at Hagley Oval to be 129-7 at stumps, ahead by only 62 runs with two days remaining.

Boult had three for 18 off 15 overs while Wagner, who started the wicket spree, had two for 21.

"We've been out-played so far," Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur said, but he refused to concede defeat saying they would not need many more runs to set up a tight finish.

"We feel that 150-170, we could have a real chance because there's still enough in the wicket."

Not out for Pakistan were Sohail Khan on 22 and Asad Shafiq on six with the test likely to be all over in three playing days after the scheduled first day was washed out.

The New Zealand innings folded in 55.5 overs, just four more than Pakistan's first innings of 133.

Rahat Ali was the chief destroyer for Pakistan with four for 62 while Sohail Khan and Mohammad Amir took three wickets each.

They ripped out the last seven New Zealand wickets for only 96 runs and Azhar Ali and Babar Azam were painstakingly building their second innings – accumulating 37 runs in 23 overs.

But, in the sixth over after tea Azam on 29 attempted to fend away a Wagner ball targeting his ribs only for it to skim the gloves and wicketkeeper BJ Watling completed the dismissal.

Until Wagner struck, Pakistan were clawing their way back into the test having started the day on the back foot.

It gave Wagner his 100th scalp in his 26th test, making him the second-fastest New Zealander to claim a century of wickets after Richard Hadlee reached the mark in 25 matches.

Younis Khan lasted only eight balls before he gloved a Wagner bouncer to Watling and Pakistan had gone from 58-1 to 64-3.

Wagner said the short ball was part of New Zealand's game plan when conditions did not offer much swing.

"You've got to find a way of creating doubt in a batter's footwork ... It's obviously about picking the right moments and adapting to the conditions and then you've got to execute it and lucky it was one of those days it worked."

Earlier

I think it was a mistake to have Asad at six and babar Azam at three. I won't even get in to how uncomfortable babar looked against the short ball.
It's the first real mistake that Mickey Arthur's Pakistan has made in his tenure so far.
Whether Shafiq wanted to or the Managment did, its not right.

Depends on overhead conditions..

Pitch seems to have flattened out and isn't offering anything.

I think it was a mistake to have Asad at six and babar Azam at three. I won't even get in to how uncomfortable babar looked against the short ball.
It's the first real mistake that Mickey Arthur's Pakistan has made in his tenure so far.

Did you really think so?

I thought he was doing nicely - best innings of the match - until that final over from Wagner which was all short deliveries. And I thought he handled them okay until the very last one, where he gloved one down the legside.

I thought Babar Azam grew up fast in this game. The first innings he was loose outside off-stump, and he improved that second time around.

Pakistan will be all out tomorrow after giving NZ a target of 105 runs. Mark my words. And NZ will get there at the expense of 3 wickets.

Did you really think so?

I thought he was doing nicely - best innings of the match - until that final over from Wagner which was all short deliveries. And I thought he handled them okay until the very last one, where he gloved one down the legside.

I thought Babar Azam grew up fast in this game. The first innings he was loose outside off-stump, and he improved that second time around.

I overlook the part about his discomfort against the short ball - we will see how he deals with it once word gets around - my view is that we shouldn't have low standards for the number three position. By putting a newbie there, we are signaling that we are ok with that position failing for a bit as it's a new guy. Especially if you consider what comes after Babar - misbah and yk. You can lose three wickets pretty quickly. At the very least they should put Shafiq at number 4.

Yeah, agreed. Very hasty decision by Mick, expected a more professional reaction from him after Shafiq's double duck.

Promoting a youngster to the top 3 in conditions like these is a bit of a gamble, came off for Sami doesn't mean it'll come off for every other 20 year old.

I suspect a lead of over 100 isn't in any way shape or form, plausible. I expect quick wickets tonight and the conclusion of the Test at the end of the days play.

:ma Yes Mr Mickey but for that your batsmen should know how to use the bat to score runs. Absolute trash the batsmen in Pakistan aren't good enough for international cricket, simple as that how else does one explain the lack of intent for 50+ overs, i feel shafiq should be dropped ASAP along with Misbah and Younis and start investing in youth for the next year and a half.

Sami Aslam showed remarkable composure and ability in England, now he doesn't know what a bat is used for, Azhar ali having played more than 50 tests can't score runs of medium pace bowlers, Babar azam is still not ready for test cricket but deserves to play given others can barely put bat on ball. Misbah, Younis and Shafiq have to be dropped by the end of the australian series and replaced with Fawad Alam, Umar Akmal and some deserving young batsmen from the domestics.

Last edited:
We threw the game away in the last 10 overs. Bitterly disappointed with our batters to lose such quick wickets at the end of the days play. At 90-3 we were more than in it for a good total of about 260, leaving 200 to win. But wicket fell after wicket. We have to look back and see that we lost the game in both innings by allowing NZ to run through our batting with bursts of wickets.

I wouldn't blame our timid approach in the 2nd innings for our collapse. I do feel though once 30 overs had passed and the ball wasn't new anymore, Azhar could've shown some intent, at least push the RR to 2 PO.

Sohail will have to play a blinder and I mean getting 70+ and having a partnership with Shafiq. If we can bat through the morning session then (depending at how quick Sohail makes runs) we might actually have a slim chance.

Like I said though, distraught at the collapse in the final 10 overs. Not used to putting up below par scores twice in both innings but signs were there with WI and having no practice match is hurting us. If we do managed to reach 230, then most definitely 170 to chase will be competitive.

History sugggests that when teams in a situation similar to Pakistan try to figure fight back it fizzles out without a whimper. Typically the fans spends 24 hours on edge hoping for a miracle. What usually happens is that the first wicket goes in the first over of the day. Thereafter a quickifre eight or ten runs are scored and then it's all out.

Azhar Ali should be dropped from the side. No other team would have tolerated a guy taking 200 balls to score 30. Completely killed the innings and is pretty much responsible for our situation right now.

This is what happens when you send a nightwatchman as opener.

History sugggests that when teams in a situation similar to Pakistan try to figure fight back it fizzles out without a whimper. Typically the fans spends 24 hours on edge hoping for a miracle. What usually happens is that the first wicket goes in the first over of the day. Thereafter a quickifre eight or ten runs are scored and then it's all out.

That is exactly what is going to happen, Pak are going to be dismissed with a lead of 80-100 and then NZ are going to get there in a canter, losing 2-3 wickets in the process.

Yeah, agreed. Very hasty decision by Mick, expected a more professional reaction from him after Shafiq's double duck.

Promoting a youngster to the top 3 in conditions like these is a bit of a gamble, came off for Sami doesn't mean it'll come off for every other 20 year old.

misbah and yk being the senior batsmen and expect to carry the bat are worse than babar in this match.. BABAR was better than both of them... I think if they had Haris Sohail and another youngster instead of yk and misbah the total would have been better too...difficult pitch to bat but still can score

Did you really think so?

There were a couple of more incidents where the ball ballooned off in no mans land.. Babar was lucky to survive.

That's rather a tall order. They can only get there with a lot of luck and some quick runs.

Need three wickets within five miserly overs upfront to have a chance, one of those being Kane's.

What was Pak doing Sohail khan can bat like this and Pak was 82 from 53 overs.

Same as in the first innings where we got off to a steady start and saw off the new ball, but because we bat so defensively we were never likely to score many on a seaming wicket. It's fine being cautious against the new ball, but then you need the batsmen to play positively. Pakistan has this problem where we only seem to find batsmen who are 100% defensive or suicidally attacking. What we would give for an all round mature batsman like Mo Yousaf.

Agree the tactics were poor and too negative. Going into your shell isn't the hallmark of a team aspiring to be number 1 in the world, would you see Australia or India bat like this? It shows that despite Pakistan's recent test success they are still an under-confident outfit who don't believe in themselves. Micky needs to instill some confidence in these players that they are the best team in the world at test cricket and to impose themselves regardless of the conditions.

Sohail Khan is the only one here who's going to go for his shots and slowly build a lead. This pitch is a snaky green mamba so there's no excuse for us to not grab wickets here. Need to watch out for Super Mario though, he looked unplayable.

Back