With $356 Billion Market Cap, Tata Group Now Bigger Than GDP Of Pakistan

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The shares of Tata Group have delivered stunning returns in the past one year, catapulting the market value of salt-to-software conglomerate to $365 billion (Rs 30.3 lakh crore) - more than the entire gross domestic product (GDP) of Pakistan, which is almost $341 billion. According to NDTV Profit, Tata Group is the first to touch this landmark. Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. has about half of the group's market cap with ₹ 15.13 lakh crore, followed by Titan Co. and Tata Motors Ltd, the NDTV Profit report further said.

The report has caused a cheer among social media users, with many users congratulating the company.

"Tata Group's market cap hits $365B, surpassing Pakistan's GDP! TCS alone, valued at $170 billion, equals half of Pakistan's GDP," said one user.

"GDP of Iran is nearly the same as the market cap of Tata Group," claimed another.

Earlier this month, shares of TCS hit a lifetime high, said NDTV Profit. At least eight Tata companies have more than doubled wealth in the last one year.

Pakistan is facing a full-scale economic crisis, as negotiations are on among major political players in Pakistan to form the government after the recently-held elections.

According to a Reuters report, Pakistan's foreign exchange reserves stand at roughly $8 billion which barely covers two months of essential imports although it is an improvement from the $3.1 billion they were down to just over a year ago.

Pakistan's debt-to-GDP ratio is already above 70 per cent and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and credit ratings agencies estimate that the interest payments on its debt will soak up 50 to 60 per cent of the government's revenues this year. That is the worst ratio of any sizable economy in the world.

Finally, a combination of tax and gas tariff hikes and a steep fall in the rupee currency have pushed inflation up to nearly 30 per cent year-on-year.

It is disheartening for the Pakistani nation. Share your views

The shares of Tata Group have delivered stunning returns in the past one year, catapulting the market value of salt-to-software conglomerate to $365 billion (Rs 30.3 lakh crore) - more than the entire gross domestic product (GDP) of Pakistan, which is almost $341 billion. According to NDTV Profit, Tata Group is the first to touch this landmark. Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. has about half of the group's market cap with ₹ 15.13 lakh crore, followed by Titan Co. and Tata Motors Ltd, the NDTV Profit report further said.

The report has caused a cheer among social media users, with many users congratulating the company.

"Tata Group's market cap hits $365B, surpassing Pakistan's GDP! TCS alone, valued at $170 billion, equals half of Pakistan's GDP," said one user.

"GDP of Iran is nearly the same as the market cap of Tata Group," claimed another.

Earlier this month, shares of TCS hit a lifetime high, said NDTV Profit. At least eight Tata companies have more than doubled wealth in the last one year.

Pakistan is facing a full-scale economic crisis, as negotiations are on among major political players in Pakistan to form the government after the recently-held elections.

According to a Reuters report, Pakistan's foreign exchange reserves stand at roughly $8 billion which barely covers two months of essential imports although it is an improvement from the $3.1 billion they were down to just over a year ago.

Pakistan's debt-to-GDP ratio is already above 70 per cent and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and credit ratings agencies estimate that the interest payments on its debt will soak up 50 to 60 per cent of the government's revenues this year. That is the worst ratio of any sizable economy in the world.

Finally, a combination of tax and gas tariff hikes and a steep fall in the rupee currency have pushed inflation up to nearly 30 per cent year-on-year.

I think Tata should buy out Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Market cap and GDP are two very very different parameters and not a like for like comparison, there's nothing to be disheartened about. Microsoft's valuation is about India's GDP, do you see Indian's getting disheartened about this?

Market Cap is valuation, GDP is revenue. It's like saying the value of business is worth more than my neighbours salary! For a more correct comparison, let's look at Tata's revenue versus Pakistan's GDP. I understand Indian media's fascination of one upmanship over Pakistan as it's easy clickbait for them, but as mods there's no need to start a new thread for each time the Indian media decides to start a dikk measuring contest.

Also PLEASE stop falling for this trap, especially not the mods. In two years they'll overtake Germany & Japan to move to the 3rd largest economy and yet be small minded to compare themselves with Pakistan instead of trying to contest with China or the US!

Market cap and GDP are two very very different parameters and not a like for like comparison, there's nothing to be disheartened about. Microsoft's valuation is about India's GDP, do you see Indian's getting disheartened about this?

Market Cap is valuation, GDP is revenue. It's like saying the value of business is worth more than my neighbours salary! For a more correct comparison, let's look at Tata's revenue versus Pakistan's GDP. I understand Indian media's fascination of one upmanship over Pakistan as it's easy clickbait for them, but as mods there's no need to start a new thread for each time the Indian media decides to start a dikk measuring contest.

Also PLEASE stop falling for this trap, especially not the mods. In two years they'll overtake Germany & Japan to move to the 3rd largest economy and yet be small minded to compare themselves with Pakistan instead of trying to contest with China or the US!
That is true but India needs a method of stopping brain drain as well, and this is creating a narrative.

India doesn’t care about its blue collar workers leaving but they are making efforts to make the educated stay, one reason is also government spends a lot of engineering institutions.

Tata doesn't care about such articles, I worked for them they have lot of snakes but the older leaders actually care about the social causes and India overall, that’s always nice to see.

Once the old guard dies and the way India is moving I doubt they will be doing so much charity as they currently do.

Nothing to worry about here. Pakistan has already been down in many ways. Tata is a big name and what Pakistan is doing currently? Borrowing money from IMF and bragging about it that we saved the country from default.

What about Pak black economy. from property to vehicles to garments to cell phones to tyres to commodities everything selling there and majority of popn. middle class to elite stacking up cash in bedroom drawers

What is there to be disheartened about? It means that Pakistan produces the equivalent of one Tata Group every year. That the nominal accumulated wealth of a big group is only equivalent to Pakistan's one year produce.

Many people are not good at visualizing numbers, and this comparison gives a good idea.

What is there to be disheartened about? It means that Pakistan produces the equivalent of one Tata Group every year. That the nominal accumulated wealth of a big group is only equivalent to Pakistan's one year produce.

Many people are not good at visualizing numbers, and this comparison gives a good idea.
Check on Wiki, the company is more than 150 years old! There are plenty of companies out there who's value equals GDPs of many other nations, it has no meaningful logic. If you're comparing a financial statistic, then compare revenue Vs revenue or valuation Vs valuation or assets Vs assets! It's an economy that's 11-12 times larger, of course it'll have huge companies.

Check on Wiki, the company is more than 150 years old! There are plenty of companies out there who's value equals GDPs of many other nations, it has no meaningful logic. If you're comparing a financial statistic, then compare revenue Vs revenue or valuation Vs valuation or assets Vs assets! It's an economy that's 11-12 times larger, of course it'll have huge companies.
Again you are defensive and not adding anything new.

That is what I said, that Pakistan produces in 1 year which a (150 year) old company has reached now in valuation.

It is very meaningful, as it gives an idea of how big the number is.

When it is said that the total length of our nerves is greater than twice the size of earth, is it a like for like comparison? Its utility lies in giving an idea of the number, as most people are poor at visualizing big numbers.

Don't know what is there to get offended about.

Tata doesn't care about such articles, I worked for them they have lot of snakes but the older leaders actually care about the social causes and India overall, that’s always nice to see.

Once the old guard dies and the way India is moving I doubt they will be doing so much charity as they currently do.
erm and India is moving in which way exactly?

As for spending on social causes, it is something that gives good advertisement to a company . So no company would stop spending on social causes unless they are completely bankrupt.

It's obvious I cannot compete with your level of intelligence, you win!
Such headlines are routine. People have no idea how big the numbers are. It helps them gauge the magnitude, contextualize them, or give a visual imagery. Surprised that someone can be offended even with that, especially when the headline could be seen as flattering.

Another way of describing GDP (setting aside a few technicalities) is Gross Value Added. That is...the Value that an Economy creates in a year.

Another way of describing Market Capitalisation is the Value of a company as decided by the market

The issue is that given the current Market Cap of Tata is that you can literally say the Indian Economy is generating less than 10 Tatas worth of value a year. Is that good or bad given that it took 150 years to generate Tata's value is something we should be all debating. There's a lot of factors that we should be considering like
- Are modern listed companies fairly valued - especially in the technology sector or put in other terms, is technology itself overvalued compared to other sectors of the Economy?
- Are modern economies generating enough value
- Is value generated too badly distributed between the haves and have-nots

66 per cent of TATA sons is owned by charitable trusts. So it will continue to invest in social causes.

erm and India is moving in which way exactly?

As for spending on social causes, it is something that gives good advertisement to a company . So no company would stop spending on social causes unless they are completely bankrupt.
Towards profit model, and lol at advertisement, please see the amount of charity done by Tata group, it’s unparalleled, also unlike US we don’t have as many philanthropists.

Towards profit model, and lol at advertisement, please see the amount of charity done by Tata group, it’s unparalleled, also unlike US we don’t have as many philanthropists.
It's not so bad. A new generation of philanthropists is emerging. I'm impressed by work done by the Azim Premji foundation, Shiv Nadar is doing some solid stuff. The Ambanis may be more glitz than hardcore development work but the centre in BKC could have a big cultural impact like say Jahangir Art Gallery. I'm sure there are a bunch of others I'm not thinking of.

That's Changing a bit.

But the problem is that you have philanthropists trying to ram down their ideals down the throat of those availing the facilities, esp educational institutions.

Azim Premji University is in controversy frequently for being anti hindu.

Recently parents at the Shiv Nadar school were up in arms because the school introduced a " Non Binary" gender in forms. The the NCPCR took the school to cleaners.

Ashoka University is frequently in news for controversial issues.

But their are others like TATAs who carry on their work silently. Tata trusts have a endowment of close to 100bn USD but you don't hear their names as much as you hear about Bill gates.

That's Changing a bit.

But the problem is that you have philanthropists trying to ram down their ideals down the throat of those availing the facilities, esp educational institutions.

Azim Premji University is in controversy frequently for being anti hindu.

Recently parents at the Shiv Nadar school were up in arms because the school introduced a " Non Binary" gender in forms. The the NCPCR took the school to cleaners.

Ashoka University is frequently in news for controversial issues.

But their are others like TATAs who carry on their work silently. Tata trusts have a endowment of close to 100bn USD but you don't hear their names as much as you hear about Bill gates.
Couple of points on that.

- The wife of one of my closest friends works in the Premji foundation in a pretty senior role. And I assure you despite any WhatsApp forwards you may have received, they're not remotely anti-anything. She's a Hindu herself if that helps.
- I wasn't aware of the Shiv Nadar school controversy you brought up but apparently they got a notice because they used non-binary instead of transgender on a form. I'm sure they'll change the terminology but unsure why you brought it up

The broader issue is that it's mainly the liberals who choose to give their money in India and ofcourse they'll donate to the causes they espouse. The conservative rich mainly choose to endow temples and while that's their choice, I personally don't think it has the same impact from a social perspective.

The broader issue is that it's mainly the liberals who choose to give their money in India and ofcourse they'll donate to the causes they espouse. The conservative rich mainly choose to endow temples and while that's their choice, I personally don't think it has the same impact from a social perspective.
How much money is collected by the govts from temples and where does it go? Now don't say that some wife of a close friend is in a temple trust and the money is too minuscule to have any impact.

How much money is collected by the govts from temples and where does it go? Now don't say that some wife of a close friend is in a temple trust and the money is too minuscule to have any impact.
Sorry I have zero idea about that issue. My uncles on the family group seem constantly riled up about it but it hasn't interested me enough to investigate. Any good resource you can point me to?

Sorry I have zero idea about that issue. My uncles on the family group seem constantly riled up about it but it hasn't interested me enough to investigate. Any good resource you can point me to?
You have zero idea about it, and zero interest. But hey, let that not stop you from making statements about its impact.

You have zero idea about it, and zero interest. But hey, let that not stop you from making statements about its impact.
Did I? I merely said that when wealthy philanthropists want to contribute to social causes, I would personally prefer if they did it another way than endowing temples. I do recognise it's their money and choice though. I have no say.

Couple of points on that.

- The wife of one of my closest friends works in the Premji foundation in a pretty senior role. And I assure you despite any WhatsApp forwards you may have received, they're not remotely anti-anything. She's a Hindu herself if that helps.
- I wasn't aware of the Shiv Nadar school controversy you brought up but apparently they got a notice because they used non-binary instead of transgender on a form. I'm sure they'll change the terminology but unsure why you brought it up

- My sister's closest friend's husband's colleague's wife's brother in law works at the foundation and despite whatever toolkit you may have received, they are very anti hindu. Something that they promote in the name of liberalism or criticism for the government.

- Non Binary and transgender are not the same thing. Laws recognise the third gender in India as transgender.

- TATAs are liberals? The Birlas were supporting education long before any of these new age IT czars came. Are Birlas liberals?

Ramming your own ideology down people's throat because they take help of a charitable organisation is same as proselytysing.

Zero idea?

Karnataka government temples endowment act makes it mandatory for temples that have more than 1cr collection to give 10 per cent to the government common collection fund.

Temples having 10L to 1cr have to give 5 per cent.

Tamilnadu government is worse. They use HRCE act to takeover entire temples and use the funds as government funds.

Tamilnadu government melted 2000kg of gold ornaments from temples to raise funds.

Why is the government taking away money from the temples? Is this government fund that they can take away and use?

Why are funds from a hindu religious institution being used for purposes other than that of promoting Hinduism?

Did I? I merely said that when wealthy philanthropists want to contribute to social causes, I would personally prefer if they did it another way than endowing temples. I do recognise it's their money and choice though. I have no say.
I am not talking about wealthy people, but common people who donate to temples and that money is siphoned off for other purposes. Of course you like it that way. This zero idea and zero interest is to mask the support for stealing hindus money meant for their faith and community.

I am not talking about wealthy people, but common people who donate to temples and that money is siphoned off for other purposes. Of course you like it that way. This zero idea and zero interest is to mask the support for stealing hindus money meant for their faith and community.
I keep getting drawn into these discussions though I don't intend to. From the post above yours, I think I have some sense of what you're referring to.

It's tough for me because I believe most religious organisations that solicit donations are hopelessly corrupt starting from the Vatican down to the venal Waqf boards in India and major Hindu guru driven cults so I would love for them all to be thoroughly monitored, strictly regulated and audited but I recognise that's a tall order today.

So I take your point wholly. If we're going to allow the small time babas, mullahs and the Church to misappropriate devotee money, we need to give temples the same liberty. At some point, when the environment is right, we have the tighten the screws on all of them.

Zero idea?

Karnataka government temples endowment act makes it mandatory for temples that have more than 1cr collection to give 10 per cent to the government common collection fund.

Temples having 10L to 1cr have to give 5 per cent.

Tamilnadu government is worse. They use HRCE act to takeover entire temples and use the funds as government funds.

Tamilnadu government melted 2000kg of gold ornaments from temples to raise funds.

Why is the government taking away money from the temples? Is this government fund that they can take away and use?

Why are funds from a hindu religious institution being used for purposes other than that of promoting Hinduism?
What really riles me is that institutions belonging to other religions live tax free. Churches and mosques get funding from abroad and are never taxed.

What really riles me is that institutions belonging to other religions live tax free. Churches and mosques get funding from abroad and are never taxed.

Secularism in India. Dump everything on the door step of Hindus.

In the past 1 year NVDIA added a Trillion Dollars to its Market cap. These companies are behemoths and bigger than many countries GDP's combined.

Innovate or be poor is the world's motto.

Tata sons is the promoter company of all of Tata companies. Even in bellweather like TCS, tata sons own 70% odd stake. Tata sons on the other hand is owned majority by philanthropic foundations. Nothing can change this structure, even if they want to, and tata sons will forever keep doing social work.

It's a no news and not even relevant on multiple counts. First, companies do business in several countries and market cap reflects sales/earnings from all those countries. You could have a company listed in US like apple whose market cap will be on Nasdaq but doesn't earn more than 40% revenues from US. So a company listed in a country is no direct reflection of economic might of that country. Secondly, by that yardstick, market cap of Microsoft in a couple of years or Chatgpt when it gets listed, might surpass the gdp of India, that doesn't mean they can buy out India.

Pakistan can never be among the developed countries until this so-called democracy is here. This is a fake democracy that has eaten the country inside out. Either change the system to progress or else keep whining like we have resources etc etc but we are still begging in front of international bodies for few pennies.

Tata Institute claims only Rs 100 tablet can prevent recurrence of cancer​

——

India is finally improving a lot in R and D stuff with lot of capital , hopefully in future we get to more innovative society.

Back