World's Tallest Building Opens in Dubai

"Then tell me about its [the Last Day] signs," said the man.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "That slave women give birth to their mistresses; and that you see barefoot, unclothed, beginning shepherds competing in the construction of tall buildings."
we're getting there . .
 
Dubai was broke couple of months ago and they reply with the tallest building. We are alive and we are building
 
12thMan said:
Dubai was broke couple of months ago and they reply with the tallest building. We are alive and we are building

the project has been going on for several years now...and the name change indicates that Abu Dhabi might be responsible for the rest of the funding, as the Khalifa is the name of the UAE President/ Ruler of Abu Dhabi
 
I could see all the fireworks etc from my window...it was a good but short display. Its a nice structure...however the amount of sucking up that was going on was suffocating.

They even had a British guy on Dubai TV commentating in English and he along with his co host were brown-nosing Sheikh Mohammed so much that I literally wanted to puke...they were literally grovelling at his feet and worshipping him like a God. Truly disgusting...

They try to portray themselves 1st world but they are nowhere near in terms of freedom of speech and media etc. The coverage yesterday made PTV of the 90s look professional and unbiased....it was that bad!!

This structure really looks out of place in the current financial climate of Dubai and one wonders if this will also become the biggest white elephant in the world...however credit where credit is due, it is a MASSIVE structure and its very nice to look at.

They also have an observation deck for the public up near the very top of the building as well as the worlds highest mosque which is located on the 158th floor and the worlds highest swimming pool which is located near the top too. So you can actually go and pray or go for a swim at a height of 800 metres or so!

The ticket to go to the observation deck costs 100DHS which is around 18 pounds or so. I'll be going up to have a look in the next few days. Dubai has been bashed enough in the international media I guess...so lets give them a bit of credit this time...for now at least.
 
Last edited:
they changed the name from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa(the name of the president of UAE and Abu Dhabi)
and only recently,A.D bailed out Dubai...:p

woh kehtey haina
"jootay dedo,paise ley lo" :p
"Building de do,paise ley lo"
 
hasanb said:
I could see all the fireworks etc from my window...it was a good but short display. Its a nice structure...however the amount of sucking up that was going on was suffocating.

They even had a British guy on Dubai TV commentating in English and he along with his co host were brown-nosing Sheikh Mohammed so much that I literally wanted to puke...they were literally grovelling at his feet and worshipping him like a God. Truly disgusting...

They try to portray themselves 1st world but they are nowhere near in terms of freedom of speech and media etc. The coverage yesterday made PTV of the 90s look professional and unbiased....it was that bad!!

This structure really looks out of place in the current financial climate of Dubai and one wonders if this will also become the biggest white elephant in the world...however credit where credit is due, it is a MASSIVE structure and its very nice to look at.


They also have an observation deck for the public up near the very top of the building as well as the worlds highest mosque which is located on the 158th floor and the worlds highest swimming pool which is located near the top too. So you can actually go and pray or go for a swim at a height of 800 metres or so!

The ticket to go to the observation deck costs 100DHS which is around 18 pounds or so. I'll be going up to have a look in the next few days. Dubai has been bashed enough in the international media I guess...so lets give them a bit of credit this time...for now at least.



The poor blokes who helped build the tower and most of the structures in Dubai were probably no where to be seen.
 
pak4life said:
The poor blokes who helped build the tower and most of the structures in Dubai were probably no where to be seen.

yeah! not fair! =[
"achievement of UAE" "Emirati pride" blah blah.
The architects were Western and the builders were from the subcontinent!!!

damn!most Emiratis are so arrogant!
 
Squeegees ready for three-month Burj window-clean

An Australian company has described the epic task of cleaning the windows of the world's biggest skyscraper in Dubai, using squeegees, buckets -- and 7.3 million US dollars of high-tech equipment.

Dale Harding, general manager of Cox Gomyl, said the firm designed and installed the Burj Khalifa's unique window-cleaning carousels which were in action ahead of its official opening this week.

Twelve machines weighing 13 tonnes carry up to 36 cleaners, who use ordinary soapy water to wash down the Burj's 24,830 reflective windows in a process that takes three months, top to bottom.

"It's the same as an average shop front cleaner would use -- there's nothing complex about it at all," he told AFP Tuesday.

The cleaners stand on the specially designed machines, which emerge from cavities in the skyscraper and track along rails skirting its curved towers.

He said the company had been working overtime to get the 828-metre (2,717-foot) building gleaming for Monday's extravagant

opening ceremony.

"It's an enormous challenge. The architects had some fairly high expectations," Harding said.

"It's an iconic building with high exposure. They wanted it as clean as possible, particularly for the opening. There have been some fairly tight deadlines over the past few months."

He said the Burj, which towers over the Dubai desert, has 120,000 square metres of glass (1,292,500 square feet) and 45,000 square metres of aluminium and stainless steel panels.

"It's an incredible construction. People are focusing on the height of the building but the sheer size of it, the footprint, is huge. It's really 10-15 conventional buildings," Harding said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h464SxQIMIegQJY_Y2Y2igjanjqA
 
Whenever there's talk of these skyscrapers of the Middle East, I am reminded of that classic line by Bill Maher:

"The next time those Arabs build something high in the Middle East, please let them win (don't build something higher here). They haven't won anything in centuries."

:))
 
Someone (again in Dubai) wants to go one better.


2680.jpg


Dubai plans skyscraper taller than Burj Khalifa


Dubai is reaching for the sky once again, with the developer of the world’s tallest building vowing to build an even taller tower bedecked with rotating balconies and elevated landscaping inspired by the mythical hanging gardens of Babylon.

Mohamed Alabbar, chairman of the company behind the project, Dubai-based Emaar Properties, said the viewing tower would cost about $1bn (£700m).

He said the final height would be announced upon completion, adding that his company would like to present the tower as a “gift to the city before 2020” – the year Dubai hosts the Expo trade fair.

Designed by the Spanish-Swiss architect Santiago Calatrava Valls, the tower will have observation decks and 18 to 20 mixed-use floors that will host restaurants and a boutique hotel, Alabbar said.

Burj Khalifa, which opened in January 2010, is 828 metres (2,700ft) and cost $1.5bn.

Alabbar described the new structure as an “elegant monument” that would add value to property being developed by the company along the city’s creek. “Many would like to have a view” when considering buying a property, he said. The tower will be slender, evoking the image of a minaret, and will be anchored to the ground with sturdy cables, Emaar said.

Dubai has established a reputation for building dozens of futuristic skyscrapers, which have transformed its skyline.

Saudi Arabia’s Kingdom Holding is building a tower in Jeddah that is projected to surpass Burj Khalifa, rising more than 1km (3,300ft) into the sky.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/10/dubai-plans-skyscraper-taller-than-burj-khalifa
 
Why is that something to be happy about?

One of the signs before the day of judgement:

Narrated Abu Hurairah (radi Allahu anhu): Allah’s Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “The Hour will not be established till …the people compete with one another in constructing high buildings…” [Sahih Bukhari]

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) told us that “you shall see barefoot, naked, penniless shepherds vying in constructing high buildings.”(Sahih Muslim) This hadith describes people who become rich all of a sudden and then build not for need but only in competition.
 
Downtown-Circle-750x470.jpg


The Downtown Circle will be a 550-metre-tall ring with homes as well as public, commercial and cultural spaces. The architects believe that the planned project will shift focus from the traditional highrises and gated communities, with the main aim of sustainability.

The architecture hovers over Downtown Dubai and circumvents around the Burj Khalifa drawing the most invigorating views and fresh and clean air from the Skypark, a place with different natural scenarios and climates, which forms the central spine of the development.

At the Skypark, visitors and residents can experience the canyons, sandy dunes and plants from various flora. Swamps, waterfalls and tropical vegetation or the digital caves, cascades, fruit-trees and flowers of various hues and species together enrich the green ecosystem.

It is believed that its circumference would be 3 kilometres.

The span of the circle itself would be composed of two main rings held together by a continuous green belt named the Skypark.

https://www.gulf-insider.com/dubai-...design-of-giant-ring-encircling-burj-khalifa/
 
Back
Top