Would you love to be in the cricketing world of the 90s?

Dulex9

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
All the teams were challenging, even Zimababwe had the Flower brothers, the Strang brothers, Whittal, Campbell, Streak, Olanga and many good players in their time.

Australia: Steve Waugh, Ponting, Warne, McGrath, Bevan, S Law, Fleming, Taylor, McDermott, Mark Waugh
West Indies: Ambrose, Walsh, Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul, Richardson
Pakistan: Wasim, Waqur, Inzamam, Saqlain, Salim Malik, Ijaz, Anwar
South Africa: Donald, Pollock, Rhodes, Cullinan, Kirsten, Symcox, Adams etc
Sri Lanka: Murali, Vass, De Silva, Ranatunga, Jayasuriya etc
New Zealand: Astle, Fleming, Cairns, C Harris, Larson etc
England: Cork, Atherton, Gough, Fairbrother, Stewart, Thorpe, Martin, DeFrietas, Robin Smith
India: Tendulkar, Kumble, Srinath, Azhar, Kambli, Jadeja

The quality of cricket was amazing. Quite a lot of odi series's/tourny's was played such as the sharjah cup, wills world series, tourny's in sharjah, austral-asia cup, singer world series etc.

Last edited:
While I have nostalgia for the era, esp 1998 no way would I want to be in that era as an Indian Cricket fan.
I can understand as a Pakistani fan why you would.

Things not to like: Fixing, terrible Indian stadiums, broadcasting was meh, no HD cameras

Last edited:
While I have nostalgia for the era, esp 1998 no way would I want to be in that era as an Indian Cricket fan.

Things not to like: Fixing, terrible Indian stadiums, broadcasting was meh, no HD cameras

why 1998? coz India won the independence cup in that year against Pakistan in Dhaka ?

The amount of odi tournaments played made that era very exciting and the quality of players made it a joy to watch.

No thanks.

Much happier in 2020 where we Indians are class apart and Pakistan team being Kenya of our time. :yk

Fantastic era. Not sure the England list should be as long as it is though...

Cricketwise? Hell no

I don't wanna go back to see the likes of Manoj Prabhakar, Venkatpati Raju, Debashish Mohanty etc. I don't wanna relive the days of being bullied by Jayasuriya.

Quality of cricket in 90s was majorly restricted to ODIs..Asian teams used to play like 38-40 ODIs every year, while the likes of England,NZ used to play 15-18 ODIs an year..Since Asian teams were playing non stop ODIs so they goaded lots of runs and wickets against each other..

90’s ODI cricket had a special charm. Test cricket was boring though. It is more interesting now, in spite of all the exaggerated claims of the death of the format.

ODI cricket in 90s was like test cricket till 40th over then little bit of acceleration followed by T20 cricket level pure slogging in last 5 overs. :yk

No middle order batsmen scored hundreds because they didn't have 4th gear and would go straight from 3rd gear to 5th and get out slogging. Inzy, Jadeja, Azharuddin, Waugh, Cronje etc all good middle order players but their 100s count is embarrassing for today's cricket standards.

90’s ODI cricket had a special charm. Test cricket was boring though. It is more interesting now, in spite of all the exaggerated claims of the death of the format.

I agree except the Karachi Test in 94 vs Aus and 99 Chennai and Kolkata tests vs Ind, too many one sided encounters in tests in the 90's.

Pakistanis would always love to live in the past! They would never forget Imran, Wasim, Waquar, Saqlain, Miandad, Akther, etc. They are all still playing in their daydreams!

You didnt bash pakistan in this post , very strange of you.

Yes, want to be in the 90s to experience what it is like to be a dominant team... by the time i grew up Pakistan became mediocre with few highlights here and there... my father tells me stories how we manhandled Indian team back then...

If I had a time machine, then as a cricket fan I would love to go back to 90s and watch the likes of Brian Lara, Saeed Anwar, Azharuddin, Tendulkar, Wasim Akram, Waqar, Donald, Ambrose all at their peaks.

If that time machine could take me back even further into the 70s and 80s, I would happily go back as a cricket fan but only if Hafeez accompanied me in the time machine, as watching Hafeez as opening batsman face the likes of Denis Lillee, Jeff Thompson, Andy Roberts, Holding, Marshall, Garner would be an amazing experience.

No, England lost every single Ashes series.

I experienced the nineties, I am much happier now. It would be good to go back and fix some bad life choices. But that cannot be.

Last edited:
No, England lost every single Ashes series.

I experienced the nineties, I am much happier now. It would be good to go back and fix some bad life choices. But that cannot be.

Hi Robert , I might have asked you this before - were you a regular on the Channel 4 cricket forum back in late 90s, you always remind me of Rob on that forum ? :)

Well yes I was there and miss the never ending Lara v Tendulkar threads

If you look back India had a great year in 98, but then lost to Pakistan at home in 99.

Yea, in Chennai that too.. thanks to Kumble we survived the series, we also missed winning the Windies series ,WC, 90s was terrible, as I said except 98 it was terrible.

But Murdoch taught how to make money in cricket and cricket legit became a profession in India.

I miss the bowling standards of 90's, nothing else. Of course I'm speaking of Test cricket. Oh, and Sachin too.

If that time machine could take me back even further into the 70s and 80s, I would happily go back as a cricket fan but only if Hafeez accompanied me in the time machine, as watching Hafeez as opening batsman face the likes of Denis Lillee, Jeff Thompson, Andy Roberts, Holding, Marshall, Garner would be an amazing experience.

He's an old man now Khansahb. Hun ta maaf kr dwo :yk

ODI cricket in 90s was like test cricket till 40th over then little bit of acceleration followed by T20 cricket level pure slogging in last 5 overs. :yk

No middle order batsmen scored hundreds because they didn't have 4th gear and would go straight from 3rd gear to 5th and get out slogging. Inzy, Jadeja, Azharuddin, Waugh, Cronje etc all good middle order players but their 100s count is embarrassing for today's cricket standards.

Weird - I am sure I remember David Gower getting three successive hundreds in Australia in 1983.

Hi Robert , I might have asked you this before - were you a regular on the Channel 4 cricket forum back in late 90s, you always remind me of Rob on that forum ? :)

Well yes I was there and miss the never ending Lara v Tendulkar threads

I was indeed Rob I, or Rob L as some called me, or occasionally Mightybigfish.

That forum was fun. There were girls. There were funny poems. This place is so serious by comparison!

I am divided - at one side, I miss the quality of cricket and the proper contest between bat & ball, also the cricket world was much better those days in terms of bilateral tours, Test being the pinnacle of all cricket. But, at the same time, now I have my own team competing at highest level - may not be that good yet, but still it's a massive progress from 1990s .......

Still, I'll take 1990s probably - Test cricket brought me here in cricket and we are categorically destroying the fundamental skills of the game now days.

You missed the worst thing about India in the 1990s. By far the worst thing: Raj Singh Dungarpur.

I was indeed Rob I, or Rob L as some called me, or occasionally Mightybigfish.

That forum was fun. There were girls. There were funny poems. This place is so serious by comparison!

Rob I, yes of course I remember , my nick was {MaJiD}.

Yes some good old characters, I still remember the threads discussing Brian Lara’s magnificent test 100s v Australia back in 1999 and the excitement and buzz with every boundary - It’s amazing to think that was over 20 years ago!

Great era. Pakistan team had swagger filled with individual brilliance.

90s was the best time for cricket. Do enjoy cricket now but 90s had the highest quality for sure.

Watching Tendulkar bat in 90s was a pleasure but with this ended the story of most Indian kids including me who were cricket enthusiast.

Wish ODI cricket was as good as it was in 90s. ODIs have been boring now although 2019 WC was brilliant.

Test cricket doesn't get more entertaining than what it has been in last 5 years and India have been on top as well.

Don't like 90s. For the best part of the 90s ZImbabwe/SL were minnows. England looked pathetic. India hardly played any Test matches. India Pakistan did not play tests right till the fag end of the 90s. 2000s were the best period. Test matches meant something after 2000s. Starting with the epic series between India/Australia it was a great period. Australia set the gold standard of going after wins, scoring 4 an over in Tests. They raised the bar.

Plz forget about the nineties..... It's really causes heartburns to think that we put so much of pressure on a single man SACHIN...... Just pains to think the entire nation hopes were pinned on him and as soon he was out most of the tv sets got switched off....... Add to that Indian team was a petting zoo for fixers like azar, jadeja, nayan mongia and also for useless fillers and passengers like kanitkar, Gandhi, raju, dahiya, bahutule, kambli, joshi, ramesh and so on.......

nothing will ever hurt like the 99 world cup final

no one has any expectations from a pak team for twenty odd years now, but that team absolutely broke millions of pakistani fans hearts by doing what they did in the final.

will never forget anwar getting his bat grip changed, and then the rest as they say, is history.

Sri Lanka were a strong odi team in the 90s and won the 96 world cup.

Zimbabwe had a good odi team too and almost made it to the WC Semi Final in 1999. They beat India and South Africa in the group stages if I am correct.

The 90s odi cricket had a charm. There was balance between bat and ball. 300 scores were not really a feature and scores of 270 were challenging to chase down.

I was born in 1990 and I must say 90's cricket was quite high in quality and entertainment. Cricket had a soul back then something that is often missing nowadays. Players have turned into robots.

Although the Aussies were beginning to dominate in the late 90s, there were more competitive teams, now its just boring with Aus, Eng and Ind having a monopoly.

I am waiting for 2025+ when Indian team
will most probably be even stronger and dominate cricket and there will be newer rivals like Afg, Nepal, Ireland.

India is 90s was just Tendulkar with cheats like Azharuddin as India captain. Don’t want those days back when second tier countries like SL, even Zimbabwe were able to compete and beat India.

Bring the tri-series back. And fun stuff like having a fielding score for all the fielders.

Don’t miss the players or cricket , seen enough and moved on.

Here are the things I miss from the 90's:

1) Yearly Aussie VB series (used to involve 3 teams).
2) Frequent tri-series (miss those big time).
3) Yearly Sharjah Cup (generally used to involve 3-4 teams).
4) Better balance between bat and ball.
5) Commentators were much better.

Mark Waugh was my favourite batsman at that time,he made batting so easy it's baffling to see he underachieved,
Another one was Carl Hopper.

I am waiting for 2025+ when Indian team
will most probably be even stronger and dominate cricket and there will be newer rivals like Afg, Nepal, Ireland.

India is 90s was just Tendulkar with cheats like Azharuddin as India captain. Don’t want those days back when second tier countries like SL, even Zimbabwe were able to compete and beat India.

Nineties India had better batsmen who could succeed outside the Subcontinent. They also had Kumble and Harbhajan. Srinath was pretty good too.

Nineties India had better batsmen who could succeed outside the Subcontinent. They also had Kumble and Harbhajan. Srinath was pretty good too.

90's Indian batsmen apart from Sachin were good outside the subcontinent? Who? BTW, Harbhajan made his debut in 98'. Srinath was a bang average fast bowler with an avergae of 30.

Last edited:
Mark Waugh was my favourite batsman at that time,he made batting so easy it's baffling to see he underachieved,
Another one was Carl Hopper.

Yea, man. Mark Waugh was special for me as well. I always liked him much ahead of his brother.

90s cricket was so exciting and especially odi cricket was exciting to watch and scores of 250 would be challenging to chase down.

Look at the Sri Lanka team:

Jayasuriya
Kalu
Gurunisha
De Silva
Ranatunga
Mahanama
Tilkarratne
Vaas
Dharmesena
Wickramsinghe
Murali

Pushpukarama
K De Silva
Weeratne
Chandana
Zoysa
Gunaratne
Attapatu

I would love to see the old Pakistan back, used to watch all their matches for Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar etc

Sharjah cups were very entertaining and bigger than Asia Cup. India - Pakistan isn't that entertaining anymore.

There used to be two tournaments in Sharjah held each years involving 3-4 teams, man those used to be exciting to watch.

Pakistan won 6 consecutive tournaments in Sharjah back in the 90s.

Almost like being a pakistan fan in 2020 :))

Last edited by a moderator:
1) 2 tournaments in Sharjah each year
2) Benson and Hedges world series
3) frequent odi tri-series particularly involving India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka outside of Sharjah

There used to be two tournaments in Sharjah held each years involving 3-4 teams, man those used to be exciting to watch.

Pakistan won 6 consecutive tournaments in Sharjah back in the 90s.

Razzaq Hat trick, Olonga bowling Sachin, Shoaib Akhtar steaming in and so many more. The last exciting ODI match was England vs New Zealand world cup final. Pakistan need some rockstars like Wasim, Akhtar etc

Also Inzy's 100, Waqur's 5-fer, India bowled out for 54 and Jayasuriya 189 all at Sharjah.

short answer? no.

long answer ? probably never.

maybe for you Pakistanis it was alright but india were awful in 90s. Still strong at home back then but absolutely toothless away from.home. We would struggle to beat even Sri Lanka away from home. Pakistan and India usually ended in a draw.

Funny thing is I reckon the Indian team that beat Australia in 1998 would beat the current Indian team at home.

I seriously doubt most of the current crop of Indian batsmen, other than Kohli, would have a clue how to play Kumble, Harbhajan, Raju et al, given how they struggled against Nathan Lyon and Steve O'Keefe a few years ago. Whereas anyone that saw Sidhu, Azharuddin, and Ganguly destroy high-quality spinners in India wouldn't be at all surprised if they treated Ashwin and Jadeja as cannon-fodder. Not even mentioning Tendulkar's genius here.

Funny thing is I reckon the Indian team that beat Australia in 1998 would beat the current Indian team at home.

I seriously doubt most of the current crop of Indian batsmen, other than Kohli, would have a clue how to play Kumble, Harbhajan, Raju et al, given how they struggled against Nathan Lyon and Steve O'Keefe a few years ago. Whereas anyone that saw Sidhu, Azharuddin, and Ganguly destroy high-quality spinners in India wouldn't be at all surprised if they treated Ashwin and Jadeja as cannon-fodder. Not even mentioning Tendulkar's genius here.

not a chance. Virat's india would crush any all time great team at home let alone 1998 version of india. That team had some awful players and still managed to crush australia who were at their peak at home.

Besides india don't prepare turners anyway? so it will be a flat low bouncy pitch with a bit of grass. Virat's india would butcher them as they would butcher any othat team in the world at home.

on turners it would be an even contest however jaddu and ashwin are great spinners in Asian conditions. India under virat would still win.

India's fielding, bowling has vastly Improved. Easily one of the best in the world. 90s india would still beat majority of the teams at home though Including ATG level teams.

Last edited:
On no planet would Agarwal, Shaw, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Vihari be considered a better batting line-up than Sidhu, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Ganguly. The latter combination would always be better equipped to score runs at home. Also Anil Kumble was a beast in home conditions against batsmen who were pretty decent against spin, he's a much better bowler than Ashwin or Jadeja.

It's sad how the modern fan is bent on underrating some of those players just cause they played in a tougher era and didn't win as much.

It's a moot debate in any case as we'll never know, but anyone that saw those batsmen murder bowling line-ups at home wouldn't rate the current line-up as being better. Sure, the fast bowlers of today are considerably stronger, but the batting and spinners nope.

not a chance. Virat's india would crush any all time great team at home let alone 1998 version of india. That team had some awful players and still managed to crush australia who were at their peak at home.

Besides india don't prepare turners anyway? so it will be a flat low bouncy pitch with a bit of grass. Virat's india would butcher them as they would butcher any othat team in the world at home.

on turners it would be an even contest however jaddu and ashwin are great spinners in Asian conditions. India under virat would still win.

India's fielding, bowling has vastly Improved. Easily one of the best in the world. 90s india would still beat majority of the teams at home though Including ATG level teams.

Your acting like this indian team is undefeated at home, india of the 90s/ early 00 was comfortably better, the current generation are good but very over rated.

If I can, I would. Who doesn't want to go back to childhood?

Life was so nice back. Nothing to worry about as a kid.

2000 - 2008 (before IPL started) was the best period in Indian cricket. After IPL came into existence, most of the fans, BCCI and cricketers became arrogant. They started thinking they own this world. :inti

Your acting like this indian team is undefeated at home, india of the 90s/ early 00 was comfortably better, the current generation are good but very over rated.

uh this team is undefeated at home? Haven't lost since 2011.

Under kohli 30 wins 1 loss at home. Come back when any other team can obliterate teams at home like that.

On no planet would Agarwal, Shaw, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Vihari be considered a better batting line-up than Sidhu, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Ganguly. The latter combination would always be better equipped to score runs at home. Also Anil Kumble was a beast in home conditions against batsmen who were pretty decent against spin, he's a much better bowler than Ashwin or Jadeja.

It's sad how the modern fan is bent on underrating some of those players just cause they played in a tougher era and didn't win as much.

It's a moot debate in any case as we'll never know, but anyone that saw those batsmen murder bowling line-ups at home wouldn't rate the current line-up as being better. Sure, the fast bowlers of today are considerably stronger, but the batting and spinners nope.

Like I said, India don't prepare turners. This team would demolish them to pieces. Indians bowling and fielding is far more potent now. In batting again, Virat's india is far superior in current batting paradises in India.

spinners are also better rofl. ashwin and jaddu are our greatest spinners.

laxman was raw in 1998. dravid was raw. None were at their peaks except sidhu. azharuddin was past his prime at the time and they whooped Australia's but at australia's best.

That was the unfit era. Perhaps if india were actually fitness oriented like australia at the time they may have have dominated away from home too at the time. But they didn't.

I miss cricket from 90's. It had a soul.

I honestly don't enjoy present day cricket as much as 90's cricket. It feels artificial and soulless.

90s is the reason I got into cricket. Pepsi cups Sharjah cups were always so exciting and eventful And cricket felt like cricket 6s were a big deal. even though the middle period used to be slow but spinners coming on spinning a web on players fast bowlers (especially Pakistani) ones getting insane reverse swing at Sharjah underlights packed stadiums even thought there were no way near as much expats in UAE then. The two ball rule has ruined odi cricket and made it a batsmens game. At one time no matter what score Pakistan got I was confident we could defend it. Nostalgia is a drug.

Like I said, India don't prepare turners. This team would demolish them to pieces. Indians bowling and fielding is far more potent now. In batting again, Virat's india is far superior in current batting paradises in India.

spinners are also better rofl. ashwin and jaddu are our greatest spinners.

laxman was raw in 1998. dravid was raw. None were at their peaks except sidhu. azharuddin was past his prime at the time and they whooped Australia's but at australia's best.

That was the unfit era. Perhaps if india were actually fitness oriented like australia at the time they may have have dominated away from home too at the time. But they didn't.

This is as delusional as some of your other posts on this forum. You clearly never saw those players live or perhaps were too young to understand what you were watching.

This is as delusional as some of your other posts on this forum. You clearly never saw those players live or perhaps were too young to understand what you were watching.

It's only delusional to delusional Pakistani fans who think the Indian team of 90s was some behemoth at home because pakistan beat india a couple of times. I think they had an overall 3- 1 or 2 -1 lead in the 90s.

literally none of what you said is true.

Virat's behemoth of a team at home will mince any team in Asian conditions. 30 wins 1 loss is unreal.

it's only convenient for many of these Pakistani fans when it suits their agenda of making pakistan look like some all time great team lol.

You thinj players of 90s and 2000s were fit? they weren't. Fielding and fitness levels were beyond pathetic for Asian countries.

australia, 2.indies and maybe new zealand plus s africa were always the only teams that focused on athleticism/fitness.

The india changed their fitness strategy they became number 1.

Pakistan defended 130 or 120 odd against Australia in an odi in the 90s.

Also Pakistan beat Sri Lanka were Sri Lanka needed 25 runs with 7 wickets in hand and then Wasim Akram....

uh this team is undefeated at home? Haven't lost since 2011.

Under kohli 30 wins 1 loss at home. Come back when any other team can obliterate teams at home like that.

[MENTION=137868]silentkiller187[/MENTION] is right. Indian team of that era was easily the best and much better than the current team at home.

Other teams during that era were much stronger than teams today. Teams like zimbabwe were tough to beat at home. And there is a reason Steve Waugh called Indian tour the final frontier. :inti

[MENTION=137868]silentkiller187[/MENTION] is right. Indian team of that era was easily the best and much better than the current team at home.

Other teams during that era were much stronger than teams today. Teams like zimbabwe were tough to beat at home. And there is a reason Steve Waugh called Indian tour the final frontier. :inti

Nope if anything modern era Teams are too strong at home. Every team is powerful at home unlike before. India are just on another level in Asian conditions. India make other teams look worse than they are hence it appears as if it's a weak era. Big difference.

Current team would annihilate india's team of 90s and also beat dhoni's 2006-2011 side comfortably in Asian conditions.

It's only delusional to delusional Pakistani fans who think the Indian team of 90s was some behemoth at home because pakistan beat india a couple of times. I think they had an overall 3- 1 or 2 -1 lead in the 90s.

Virat's behemoth of a team at home will mince any team in Asian conditions. 30 wins 1 loss is unreal.

it's only convenient for many of these Pakistani fans when it suits their agenda of making pakistan look like some all time great team lol.

You thinj players of 90s and 2000s were fit? they weren't. Fielding and fitness levels were beyond pathetic for Asian countries.

australia, 2.indies and maybe new zealand plus s africa were always the only teams that focused on athleticism/fitness.

Yeah I agree with you, current Indian team is fit and at home I think they are stronger than Aussies of 2000.

So what you are saying is that Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Azhar, Sidhu would collectively score less runs than the current batting line-up, which is full of choke artists such as Rahane and Pujara, or callow and unproven youngsters such as Shaw or Vihari. If you really think that Tendulkar at the prime of his career couldn't handle a couple of finger spinners such as Ashwin and Jadeja, then I am not really one to argue.

So what you are saying is that Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Azhar, Sidhu would collectively score less runs than the current batting line-up, which is full of choke artists such as Rahane and Pujara, or callow and unproven youngsters such as Shaw or Vihari. If you really think that Tendulkar at the prime of his career couldn't handle a couple of finger spinners such as Ashwin and Jadeja, then I am not really one to argue.

dude I am saying In Asian conditions yes the current crop would win comfortably. In ASIA.

In SENA it's a different story. The other team under dhoni from 2006-2012 travelled much better and are probably the best travelling Asian team. Along with imran khan's team but neither could dominate at home like Virat's india.

Man spinners are not relied upon in Virat's system. India's Pace bowlers are more dangerous in Asian conditions. Spinners of india in home conditions can also bat well which makes his team collectively stronger. They will do the containment job with the ball and get wickets due to the pressure built up by the lethal indian pacers.

I am not denying thay india had phenomenal batsmen in the past but tendulkar, ganguly, dravid were not in their primes in th slate 90s. They were at a very young pre prime stage. In their primes? sure. That would be between 2003-2010. They can demolish any spinner without a doubt but they would have struggled vs the current pace attack in Indian conditions.

Also Inzy's 100, Waqur's 5-fer, India bowled out for 54 and Jayasuriya 189 all at Sharjah.

Afridi's 8 sixies chasing down NZ score and Pak scoring 290 in final bowling Sri L out for 78.

Back