"You can change the coaches and players but deep down the problems will remain the same" : Misbah

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
"You can change the coaches and players but deep down the problems will remain the same" : Misbah

Speaking on a TV show:

Some very interesting Discussion is taking place, Wahab Riaz has gone all guns blazing. Wahab asked that why has the selection committee been selecting players without any experience and why were the experienced players especially bowlers were ignored. He particularly asked about Musa and Azam Khan

Misbah's said that back in the Australia tour, the wickets that domestic cricket had were bad pitches that were only producing 120-130 bowlers and in Australia 120-130ish bowlers cant survive as grounds are big and you need fitness. We took Imran Khan and Sohail Khan with us but they didnt have the fitness for those pitches. Plus, at the time domestic cricket did not produce bowlers that could had been taken.

Musa, Hasnain and Naseem had the pace.

Waqar Younis got abit defensive
Waqar Younis said that if we look the past history, me and and Waseem akram got selected after barely playing any first-class matches. We have traditionally produced bowlers like this

Wahab in reply said that you cant keep on using yourself and Waseem as an example and ignore first-class experience all together.

Waqar in reply said that all other bowlers like Umar Gul, Wahab himself and many others came in like this

Wahab Riaz again replied that no that is not true, him, Shabir Ahmad, Umar Gul, Sami and many others came into the team after serving in 30-50 matches before making there debut. Amir was maybe an anomaly who came straight in. And as we came in with experience we also performed well internationally because of that domestic experience.

Waqar became very defensively and couldn't accept that logic, this exposed Waqar Younis's thinking. He even went on to say that we gave Tabish Khan a match after his experience.

Waseem Akram replied that Tabish Khan should had debuted 10 years back and we bought him 10 years late, to which Waqar said yes if we could had dropped Wahab Riaz (as a joke)

Waseem Akram also added an interesting point that this team also took Kashif Bhatti with them and than dropped him after not playing him, so what was the point of taking him if you not gonna play him. This way you destroy there confidence.

On Why they left before the World Cup?

Waseem Akram said that if PCB wanted to remove both of them, than you could have done after the world cup. Rameez should had waited and judged the performance before making any such decision.

He also said Misbah and Waqar did work hard on the players as i saw in England. Media went personal against them only because their favorites were not selected.

Misbah said that after the end of every series, we like to do cosmetic surgeries and keep changing coaches, but the problems would stay the same. The PCB always needs a scapegoat, they dont see how there had been issues like being quarantined for 15 days and not getting any match practice. Coaches would keep on changing, but that is not gonna solve our problems as the problems would still exist.

Misbah also said that the squad that was changed after taking U-turn wasn't even needed had they announced this new team back than and not take a U-turn. Better decisions that were taken later could had been taken before.

Waqar said that I have talked about this many times, Misbah is speaking out first time.
Ad hocs when are place they do such things. You could see how Waseem Khan and Bradburn also left, because they like to make a scapegoat.

Lets hope and pray the mindset that Rameez bhai has come out is successful.

==

Former head coach and captain Misbahul Haq has opened up about the workings of Pakistan cricket, while citing scapegoats and U-turns.

Misbah resigned as the head coach of the Men in Green, on September 6, despite a year left in his three-year contract due to “considerable time away from family in a bio-secure environment”.

Speaking publicly for the first time about his resignation, Misbah said that looking for scapegoats is a norm in Pakistan cricket.

“In Pakistan, we only focus on one thing and that is the result. We don’t go beyond that and focus on things like our players and their skill development,” said Misbah on A Sports.

“After losing a match or series we look for someone as a scapegoat to save face. Nothing will change if we continue with this cosmetic surgery. You can change the coaches and players but deep down the problems will remain the same,” he added.

He also took a dig at the changes made by the PCB selection committee for the T20 World Cup, which saw the return of veteran all-rounder Shoaib Malik and wicketkeeper-batter Sarfaraz Ahmed, among others.

“First you made changes to the team but 10 days later you took a U-turn and brought the excluded players back in the fold,” he concluded.

==

Quotes from program:

Waqar on Hassan Ali

"The good thing about Hassan Ali is that he is very strong minded. He made a promise to himself to make a comeback and he fulfilled that"

"All our young cricketers should play 4 day cricket because when you do that, you improve in one-day cricket and in T20 cricket as well"

"Hassan has proved this - he played 8-9 4-day games and his fitness improved and he is now a different bowler because of that"

Misbah responding to Wahab making a sly dig at Misbah saying why are we not bringing experienced 4-day players into teams (Asking Wasim but aimed at Misbah)

"In those days (Wasim Akram gave example of Musa Khan's selection for Australia tour), we had this problem that such experienced bowlers werent there and we did take some with us too; The problem is that they did not have the fitness for bowling the requisite amount of overs in Tests, especially in Australia"

"As Wahab knows, if you have an ideal scenario where you have bowlers who have performed well in 4-days and have fitness and pace then we can take such bowlers on the team but when you don't have that available, then what?"

"As those who have followed Pakistan cricket over the past few years know that even bowlers bowling at 120-130kph performed very well but the sorts of pitches we had in Australia, those bowlers would struggle"

"So only option for us to bring in youngsters like Naseem Shah, Musa Khan, Hasnain who played well in T20s also; We also thought that these bowlers were a good investment for the future, so we wanted to groom them and they would perform better"

Wahab Riaz:

"This is not just about bowlers but also batsmen too; Take example of Azam Khan, yes he is talented but he was seletced first but then suddenly he is out of the squad, same with Danish Aziz. We seem to bring people in, and if they dont perform once they are out of the system"

Waqar Younis responding to Wahab:

"Looking at history of Pakistan cricket, Wasim Akram played his first FC game against New Zealand; I played 4-5 FC games before I got picked, and also Mohammad Amir and Umar Gul and many others were picked like that"

Wahab Riaz:

"Only 2 legends like Wasim and Waqar whose records speak for themselves have performed well for Pakista but others like Shoaib Akhtar, M Asif, M Sami and myself - all played atleast 30-40 FC games behind them"

Misbah-ul-Haq:

"In Pakistan we don't look beyond results, we dont deep dive into it to see how the players are being developed, where you are now in terms of player skills and where you are going with it; Nothing of that sort is considered such that after end of every series they look for one or more guys to sacrifice (Muh makes sign of throat being slit); If you keep on doing cosmetic surgery, then nothing good will come out of it. You can keep on replacing players and coaches but deep down, the problems will remain the same"

"So we go to New Zealand to play international cricket whilst being locked in rooms for 14 days then when we lose, the coach has to answer for that; Then you go to England, after being put in rooms in Karachi for 10 days and then you are stuck in rooms for PSL and you dont have much competitive cricket to play also, then you expect Misbah and Waqar to cast some magic spell and then we will win - such things need to be looked at and work needs to be done or this will keep on happening to us"

Waqar Younis

"This seems to the same team that we left - you took out some people but then brought back the same guys again; Lets hope and pray that the mindset and zeal with which Ramiz Raja has come into power will see success for Pakistan"

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to give credit to Wahab Riaz, that he asked the right questions in a very mature manner. And he was very well composed aswell. Misbah reply was as usual diplomatic, but Waqar is just giving the weirdest logics and was as if he felt threaten and had to be defensive.

Have to give credit to Wahab Riaz, that he asked the right questions in a very mature manner. And he was very well composed aswell. Misbah reply was as usual diplomatic, but Waqar is just giving the weirdest logics and was as if he felt threaten and had to be defensive.

Saw the show. Have to say Wahab came out as the most mature and logical thinker out of those 4.
Waqar as usual some weird logic. Me and Wasim were selected like this so we will select like that.. well that was 30 years ago. Times change.
No wonder he failed in every tenure of his

Wasim Akram and Misbah as usual are very smart in answering things and do not take sides
Very smooth operators i must say..

Waqar saying that youngsters should be away from social media.

Wahab says, Waqar Bhai app nay 2010 mein bhi yaye kaha tha aur kisi nay bhi nahi suni, abh bhi nahi suntay :))

Why not have shows like this before selecting these jokers. Wahab putting them to the sword.

Misbah and waqar have received the most support out of all the coaches pakistan have ever had. Heck misbah was the head selector and coach. They are the ones who selected this team. Stop trying to shift blame. I hope they are never associated with Pakistan cricket at ANY level again.

So they took Sohail & Imran Khan who didn’t have the fitness for those pitches. So why select them Misbah?

So they took Sohail & Imran Khan who didn’t have the fitness for those pitches. So why select them Misbah?

no other options, they needed these back up bowlers plus when they went to Australia alot of them got exposed in the nets .

Misbah said that the Pakistani pitches were a big joke as they were not properly prepared pitches and no bowlers had come up at the time. Australian pitches demand good pace and good fitness to play 5 days

I cannot believe how shameless this person is. He doesn’t understand modern white ball cricket and has taken our team backwards!

-how can he justify opening with Imam ul Haq in a T20i match against Australia?
-how can he justify the return of 37 year old Mohammad Irfan against Australia?
-How can he justify accommodating Mohammad Rizwan at all cost as an opener in the team and completely unbalancing the side??
-How can he not even try the opening combination of Sharjeel and Fakhar when available to him???
-How can he not have a consistent standard for fitness for all players? Why drop Umar Akmal, but select Azam Khan and Sharjeel Khan if you want to set fitness standards?
-how can he justify the regressing fielding standards set by the current Pakistan team if fitness was his no.1 priority? How are butter fingers such as Asif Ali and Sohaib Maqsood anywhere near the national side?

The man created more problems instead of solving any! Yet he has the audacity to claim no coach will make a difference. No coach will create as much problems as he did either!

Life of Misbah

Blame Pakistan cricket, system
Accept PCB job offer
Get fired
Come back as TV analyst
Repeat

I cannot believe how shameless this person is. He doesn’t understand modern white ball cricket and has taken our team backwards!

-how can he justify opening with Imam ul Haq in a T20i match against Australia?
-how can he justify the return of 37 year old Mohammad Irfan against Australia?
-How can he justify accommodating Mohammad Rizwan at all cost as an opener in the team and completely unbalancing the side??
-How can he not even try the opening combination of Sharjeel and Fakhar when available to him???
-How can he not have a consistent standard for fitness for all players? Why drop Umar Akmal, but select Azam Khan and Sharjeel Khan if you want to set fitness standards?
-how can he justify the regressing fielding standards set by the current Pakistan team if fitness was his no.1 priority? How are butter fingers such as Asif Ali and Sohaib Maqsood anywhere near the national side?

The man created more problems instead of solving any! Yet he has the audacity to claim no coach will make a difference. No coach will create as much problems as he did either!

Theres only been one constant in all this and that person is misbah. Odi team has gone back to the 90s ever since he took over.

Finally he has left and now we will see some change.

I did not watch the show so maybe those who did can answer this question.
Did Misbah or Waqar provide any constructive feedback to the issues or did they just point out the problems? Did they even point out what the problems were? I am reading a lot about Misbah alluding to cosmetic changes and this and that but did he pinpoint the root or roots of the issues and offer any remedies?

Theres only been one constant in all this and that person is misbah. Odi team has gone back to the 90s ever since he took over.

Finally he has left and now we will see some change.

No we wont. We cannot magically improve just because Misbah or Waqar left.

We need to identify the underlying issues and tackle them, hire the coaching and leadership that can take us into the 21st century mindset. Who is our coach these days? I dont even know. I am not talkin about temp consultants, I am referring to long term coaches. Do we have any?

No we wont. We cannot magically improve just because Misbah or Waqar left.

We need to identify the underlying issues and tackle them, hire the coaching and leadership that can take us into the 21st century mindset. Who is our coach these days? I dont even know. I am not talkin about temp consultants, I am referring to long term coaches. Do we have any?

The first underlying issues was these two , can’t you even how their logics are from how and what they speak. I don’t hear anything constructive tbh, both of all over the place trying to defend themselves each other and finally Misbah opened his bag of excuse worms

The first underlying issues was these two , can’t you even how their logics are from how and what they speak. I don’t hear anything constructive tbh, both of all over the place trying to defend themselves each other and finally Misbah opened his bag of excuse worms

I think its a bit hyperbolic to claim the root of all our cricketing issues was these two.

No thats an over-simplification. I do believe Misbah is smart enough to identify the issues and he is right and honest about that part. The area where he failed was actually providing a solution to it.

Our problems are multifarious: Bad grass roots structure, facilities, pitches, coaching, and not proper investment, etc.

The changing of coaches or management policies that you are referring to are exactly the cosmetic changes Misbah is referring to. While I agree with you that Misbah and Waqar did not do us any good, I believe rotating them with two different people will not quite fix all our problems

no other options, they needed these back up bowlers plus when they went to Australia alot of them got exposed in the nets .

Misbah said that the Pakistani pitches were a big joke as they were not properly prepared pitches and no bowlers had come up at the time. Australian pitches demand good pace and good fitness to play 5 days

Ramiz had been asking for bringing 'Drop-in Pitches' to Pakistan. Lets see if Ramiz as PCB chairman goes through with this. Having these pitches will help bowlers and batsmen prepare for foreign conditions better.

I love Misbah;

he is showing how to keep job by being incompetent , illogical , and also keep his friends in the national team for joy rides.. I want to learn his skills
[MENTION=135038]Major[/MENTION] : Get me connected with Misbah , I will even pay for his services

If Misbah doesn’t believe in changing coaches, then why did he campaign to remove Mickey Arthur?

Another thread opened just to defend Misbah. There is a larger point about the system not producing high quality players and Misbah is right in pointing it out . But this guy is very clever and using it to justify his own incompetence as selector atleast. There were much better, fitter options than Imran khan, Musa and Sohail Khan for tests in Australia. There were guys doing better in domestic cricket and could have bowled a good line/length and haf the fitness as well. Why not Sameen Gul? No world beater but much better than Imran and Musa and had done decently at QEA as well.

Did they not know how PCB operates before being appointed as coaches? And I thought they resigned from their respective positions, PCB did not sack them.

Speaking of saving faces, did he not send Zafar Gohar and the other youngster (cannot recall who he was) at the press conference in NZ when we were being humiliated in the test series?

Another thread opened just to defend Misbah. There is a larger point about the system not producing high quality players and Misbah is right in pointing it out . But this guy is very clever and using it to justify his own incompetence as selector atleast. There were much better, fitter options than Imran khan, Musa and Sohail Khan for tests in Australia. There were guys doing better in domestic cricket and could have bowled a good line/length and haf the fitness as well. Why not Sameen Gul? No world beater but much better than Imran and Musa and had done decently at QEA as well.

Sameen Gul? :))) one of the worst bowlers ever being played in Australia. yeh right.

Sameen Gul? :))) one of the worst bowlers ever being played in Australia. yeh right.

Yeah. Instead Misbah chose a guy averaging 65 in domestic that year to debut in Australia and another who got smashed to bits by Warner on his previous tour . Great choices.

Someone ask Misbah what he did the past few years to fix that issue. Guy ran away the first chance he got.

misbah aur waqar jaisi viruses ko tv analysis se bhi daur rakha jaye, they are self centered with no desire to improve the game. I was horribly wrong about misbah when he first came into the administrative/management side of things.

misbah aur waqar jaisi viruses ko tv analysis se bhi daur rakha jaye, they are self centered with no desire to improve the game. I was horribly wrong about misbah when he first came into the administrative/management side of things.

This is exactly my point
Why the heck give any lime light to these TOTAL FAILURES ??

The gall of this guy! Leaves the team in the lurch right before a WC and rolls up on a TV show to talk smack before the tournament he bailed on.

Excuse me Misbah, have some shame. If you had done a proper job, you wouldn't be sat whinging about it on TV. Instead you've left the team in a right state and you were too much of a coward to see it through to the end.

To all Misbah lovers and fans, do you still have respect for this guy after the stunts he's pulled?

Waqaes language and reply were those of a below IQ coach and he really exposed himself.
At one point he used racial slur "Kale" which I am sure he didn't mean but Fakhar e Alam covered it well that people have different accents and some are difficult to pick.

Over all Wahab seemed a much more person with better analysis and asked very pertinent questions which made thorough sense.
Wasim was typically lazy. No new stuff except I was 16 years old boy, played my first first class match against International team. But he was still better than Misbah and Waqar.

In summary Misbah and waqar failed miserably in terms of tactical planning. Even with the current reserves we could have atleast 20 percent better results if we have more sound experienced and knowledgeable coaches with analytical thinking mindset.

he never did.

Then why did he replace Sarfaraz as ODI and T20i captain?? His performances as no.1 T20i team, CT17 win and unlucky 5th position in the World Cup were not deserving of replacement from captaincy. How did Pakistan improve after Misbah’s unnecessary changes?

Okay, after all this time, if Misbah can still blame the PCB for this...then God help him!

There has literally been no other individual in the history of Pakistan cricket, that got more backing than Misbah. And yet, this shameless individual can sit there and talk about scapegoating??

Lord! This guy is beyond help. There is no such thing as accountability in his vocabulary

Anyone with any sympathy for Misbah?

Didn't Misbah hold coach, manager, director all kinds of posts at the same time in PCB?

I don't think anyone ever had so much control over how things are done within any cricket board. If the problem was well known, he had all the authority to fix them.

I doubt it . The guy was literally given Carte blanche power being Head Coach + chief selector + batting coach at one point and he messed it up royally and now goes around blaming PCB.

OMG!!! Such a bumpable thread. You shouldnt have said this Misbah. I can see where this thread is heading :(

It's not the job of the head coach and bowling coach to solve the deep rooted problems within Pakistan cricket, they were selected to deal with the national team and leave them in a better place.

They failed to do that since they ran away like cowards at the last second before a World Cup.

Someone should sent them a job description of their responsibilities as coach.

yes, keep him off tv, kam gaaliyan/criticise ho ga, out of sight out of mind should be his motto atm, misbah bhai agar parh rahay ho toh 2-3 saal ghar baitho, shayad log bhool bhula jaien, waqar we know will linger around till eternity

yes, keep him off tv, kam gaaliyan/criticise ho ga, out of sight out of mind should be his motto atm, misbah bhai agar parh rahay ho toh 2-3 saal ghar baitho, shayad log bhool bhula jaien, waqar we know will linger around till eternity

Ye ghar baithney wali cheez nahi hai.
I am 100% sure he will lurk around like a cunning fox to somehow get in. And then earn big bucks at some top position at PCB where he can give more lecture on cricket philosophy thru his nose.

Misbah has made a living out of promoting mediocrity, we are not good enough, we don't have the talent, we don't have the resources which is why we must stick to what we have

Can see Wahab Riaz in the future as a bowling coach, he's going the right way. I did not watch the full talk, but his way of presentation is better than the rest of the panel.

Misbah and Waqar are gone cases- they have a negative mindset, wanting to throw the blame and content with a run of the mill, day job.

There is zero talent in Pakistan. Our players are mediocre, lack skills and resilience.

You can make cosmetic changes in domestic cricket and play around with the number of teams, but the fact is that it will make no difference because our mentality and cricket culture is very poor. It is abysmal.

Pakistan does not have the capability to be an elite team. At least not for a sustained period of time. Our days as one of the top side are gone and they will never come back.

The gap between us and the big teams is increasing every year and we don’t know how to bridge that gap.

Pakistani fans should accept this reality regardless of how bitter it is. However, we have the most delusional fans in the world for a reason - there is a huge gap between the actual capability of Pakistan cricket and what the fans expect the team to perform like.

Rubbish young players with no talent are hyped up as future stars and when their mediocrity prevents them from excelling, the fans look for scapegoats and punching bags.

Misbah has been the fall guy for Pakistan’s failures. The fans did not like his brand of cricket and his approach so they decided to blame him for every single problem.

The hatred started with 2011 semifinal, but the fact is that his innings was by no means worse than the innings Imran Khan played in the 92 semifinal, except that the likes of Umar Akmal and Afridi couldn’t save the day for Misbah like Inzamam and Miandad did for Imran.

Besides, in spite of the limitations and failures of Pakistan cricket, achieving the number one ranking in Test cricket in 2016 is the single greatest achievement of Pakistan cricket since the 1992 World Cup.

That achievement was only possible because of Misbah. Since the ranking system was officially introduced, Pakistan had never been number 1 before this and they will never be number 1 again.

Hence, respect Misbah for what he did and respect him for the fact that he is the most prolific Test captain Pakistan has produced to date.

Misbah is not perfect and can be criticized. He has made plenty of mistakes as well - I personally found him to be a below par LOI captain and he made some significant tactical/selection blunders as coach/selector, but most people go over the top and vilify him because they have been brainwashed into thinking that Pakistan cricket will shoot to the top once the Misbah influence ends.

These people, these deluded people, are in for a shock.

Ye ghar baithney wali cheez nahi hai.
I am 100% sure he will lurk around like a cunning fox to somehow get in. And then earn big bucks at some top position at PCB where he can give more lecture on cricket philosophy thru his nose.

Inshallah he will.

Then why did he replace Sarfaraz as ODI and T20i captain?? His performances as no.1 T20i team, CT17 win and unlucky 5th position in the World Cup were not deserving of replacement from captaincy. How did Pakistan improve after Misbah’s unnecessary changes?

Again, misbah never removed arthur this is just a baseless runour that people like to post here for the sake of bashing misbah.

It has been mentioned many times that this did not happen as the timeline is there for eveyone to see....

There is zero talent in Pakistan. Our players are mediocre, lack skills and resilience.

You can make cosmetic changes in domestic cricket and play around with the number of teams, but the fact is that it will make no difference because our mentality and cricket culture is very poor. It is abysmal.

Pakistan does not have the capability to be an elite team. At least not for a sustained period of time. Our days as one of the top side are gone and they will never come back.

The gap between us and the big teams is increasing every year and we don’t know how to bridge that gap.

Pakistani fans should accept this reality regardless of how bitter it is. However, we have the most delusional fans in the world for a reason - there is a huge gap between the actual capability of Pakistan cricket and what the fans expect the team to perform like.

Rubbish young players with no talent are hyped up as future stars and when their mediocrity prevents them from excelling, the fans look for scapegoats and punching bags.

Misbah has been the fall guy for Pakistan’s failures. The fans did not like his brand of cricket and his approach so they decided to blame him for every single problem.

The hatred started with 2011 semifinal, but the fact is that his innings was by no means worse than the innings Imran Khan played in the 92 semifinal, except that the likes of Umar Akmal and Afridi couldn’t save the day for Misbah like Inzamam and Miandad did for Imran.

Besides, in spite of the limitations and failures of Pakistan cricket, achieving the number one ranking in Test cricket in 2016 is the single greatest achievement of Pakistan cricket since the 1992 World Cup.

That achievement was only possible because of Misbah. Since the ranking system was officially introduced, Pakistan had never been number 1 before this and they will never be number 1 again.

Hence, respect Misbah for what he did and respect him for the fact that he is the most prolific Test captain Pakistan has produced to date.

Misbah is not perfect and can be criticized. He has made plenty of mistakes as well - I personally found him to be a below par LOI captain and he made some significant tactical/selection blunders as coach/selector, but most people go over the top and vilify him because they have been brainwashed into thinking that Pakistan cricket will shoot to the top once the Misbah influence ends.

I think one problem is that these so called fans like to post fake news and fake theories. And than more people start believing in that fake assumptions regarding misbah.

First it was the mickey arthur removal, which had been said many times that the comittitee never removed him and was ready to give extention. And misbah being offered the position came much much later.

Now a days we see fans talking about misbah leaving the team last moment, but they dont understand that the pcb was being unprofessional by asking misbah to sit out for two series so that rameez can try his friends as coach and maybe let misbah join the world t20.
Rameez was more likly threaten. He was never gonna send misbah to the world t20 and had philander and hayden done before. The issue was for rameez that incase misbah got his team to win the world t20 he wouldnt be able to remove him than.

Misbah has made a living out of promoting mediocrity, we are not good enough, we don't have the talent, we don't have the resources which is why we must stick to what we have

Can see Wahab Riaz in the future as a bowling coach, he's going the right way. I did not watch the full talk, but his way of presentation is better than the rest of the panel.

Misbah and Waqar are gone cases- they have a negative mindset, wanting to throw the blame and content with a run of the mill, day job.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]
Misbah Waqar are the same people that said that theres no talent in Pakistan back in 2015. These guys are absolute cancer to Pakistan cricket. They will never accept their own mediocrity and pathetic mindset.

Mickey Arthur and Inzimam with all their flaws showed how to run a cricket team, how to establish a cricketing philosophy by giving chance to youngsters (in a measured manner, not like throwing youngsters with minimal experience in a tour to Australia) and by adopting modern approach, and the most important, the drive to win silverware.

Look no further than how Pakistan performed in CT 2017, 2019 WC versus WC 2015 and the CT 2013. Day and night difference.

Again, misbah never removed arthur this is just a baseless runour that people like to post here for the sake of bashing misbah.

It has been mentioned many times that this did not happen as the timeline is there for eveyone to see....

Misbah was involved in the decision to remove him, be it a very small contribution.

Yet Misbah did clearly meddle in the matters of the ODI and T20 side causing us to regress massively, even if we were not as good as big 3 standards.

He caused changes to the Test side as well, which eventually started to bear its fruit with good home wins and respectable away performances in West Indies.

The point is, Misbah is all talk here but his actions are quite the opposite. Why does he believe changes make no difference if he is making drastic changes himself? Why tinker with a no.1 T20 side?

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] is the same guy that moved mountain and earth in his attempt to discredit Pakistan’s number 1 test ranking. The same he did with the T20I ranking.

But now when it suits his agenda, somehow the same number 1 test ranking becomes the biggest achievement after 1992 WC :)

If i have ever seen more shameless manipulation of words.

Misbah and Waqar suit people like mamoon, who want us to believe on dearth of talent in Pakistan because that enables the former to take away all the blame from them and latter to be revel in his miserable self.

Come now Mamoon, you are letting your love for Misbah delude you. Misbah is one of the worst things to have happened to Pakistan limited overs cricket. The results prove it - in all roles captain, coach, selector.

I do agree that Pakistan cricket will not shoot to the top without Misbah, however the fact is that it will be much better without Misbah in the mix.

While attaining top Test ranking in 2016 was certainly a big achievement, let's not discount CT 2017 and T20 WC 2009 - both were huge wins for Pakistan cricket.

And please - there is no comparison to Imran Khan's World Cup winning campaign. Misbah never had the leadership, temperament or skills to perform at an ICC limited overs event.

[MENTION=146948]Slim[/MENTION]

Misbah, Waqar and Afridi all said that there is no talent in Pakistan, and there are all 100% right.

Where is the talent? It doesn’t exist. It is only a figment of our fans’ imagination.

99% of the players coming through the system are not international class. The players that we hype are all mediocre and when they get exposed against top teams, we make excuses and try to find scapegoats.

Take a look at Naseem - he was forced down our throats as the next great Pakistani fast bowler, but when he was carted around by Australia, England and New Zealand and made to look like a nothing bowler, we blamed Misbah, Waqar and everyone else under the sun because we were not willing to accept that Naseem is a poor bowler and not the special talent that we thought.

As far as the World Cups are concerned, it is a big myth that Pakistan performed better in 2019 than in 2015. No, they did not. It is an illusion.

The only reason for Pakistan’s so-called superior performance in 2019 was because the format was more forgiving.

If it was the same format as 2015 with the same group, what would have changed? Nothing.

Let’s take a look at our group in 2015:

India
South Africa
Pakistan
West Indies
Ireland
Zimbabwe
UAE

The top 4 teams would qualify for the QFs.

We lost to India and West Indies and beat everyone else including South Africa. Then we lost to Australia in the QF.

If we had the same format/group in 2019, what would have changed?

We always get spanked by India in World Cups, we lost to West Indies in 2019 as well, and we beat South Africa in both editions. In 2015, unlike in 2019, South Africa was a world class team, so that win was far more impressive.

We would have lost a QF to Australia in 2019 as well.

So the only reason why we “appeared” to perform better than in 2019 is because of the nature of the format.

Furthermore, we did not perform any miracles in the 2019 World Cup other than the win vs England.

We finished with the third worst NRR among all teams.

Those who cry about the Sri Lanka washout need to remember that India vs New Zealand was washed out as well, and New Zealand beat India twice - in the semifinal and in the warmup.

Had New Zealand beaten India in the group, the outcome of Pakistan vs Sri Lanka wouldn’t have mattered.

On one hand, Pakistani fans want to convince you that Pakistan is unpredictable but on the other hand, they want to convince you that Pakistan was certain to beat Sri Lanka.

No it wasn’t - if Pakistan and Sri Lanka could beat England, Afghanistan could almost beat India and Pakistan and if Bangladesh could beat South Africa, Sri Lanka could have also beaten Pakistan.

The Champions Trophy was a massive fluke - a flash in the pan that could have happened under any captain/coach. It was no different to West Indies winning in 2004 or Greece winning Euro 2004.

If Mickey was actually a great coach, Pakistan wouldn’t have performed like an associate team between the Champions Trophy and the World Cup.

Prior to the World Cup, Pakistan lost 21 of its last 25 ODIs including a losing streak of 12 ODIs. Then in the World Cup itself, as I mentioned above, Pakistan finished with the third worst NRR.

Mickey was a nothing coach who got lucky with the CT. The performance of the team in ODIs in the last 2 years of his contract showed that he had no plan, no tactics and was not in control of the situation.

The number 1 ranking by itself was down to luck. I agree. The only reason Pakistan got the Mace was because the fourth Test between India and West Indies was washed out.

However, Pakistan’s performances from October 2014 to August 2016 were very impressive and that is why they were within touching distance of the number 1 ranking. Without Misbah, Pakistan would have been languishing at 5th or 6th which is our rightful place.

Come now Mamoon, you are letting your love for Misbah delude you. Misbah is one of the worst things to have happened to Pakistan limited overs cricket. The results prove it - in all roles captain, coach, selector.

I do agree that Pakistan cricket will not shoot to the top without Misbah, however the fact is that it will be much better without Misbah in the mix.

While attaining top Test ranking in 2016 was certainly a big achievement, let's not discount CT 2017 and T20 WC 2009 - both were huge wins for Pakistan cricket.

And please - there is no comparison to Imran Khan's World Cup winning campaign. Misbah never had the leadership, temperament or skills to perform at an ICC limited overs event.

I don’t love Misbah. Like everyone else, he is not without his faults. I have already stated that he wasn’t an impressive white ball captain and his tenure as coach/selector was nothing to write home about either.

However, I refuse to believe that he is the devil’s spawn and the root of all problems within Pakistan cricket as some would have you believe. Furthermore, there is no evidence that Pakistan cricket would improve without him lurking in the corner.

I consider the Test mace a bigger achievement than the World T20 and the CT due the following reasons:

Pakistan was a genuinely top T20 side from 2007 to 2010. These were the formative years of the format and the concept of T20 specialists didn’t really exist. Most teams were playing their regular Test/ODI players.

Pakistan was ahead of the curve because it already had a core of players who were suited to the format. It was no coincidence that Pakistan were the most consistent team in the world during the first three editions of the WT20.

In fact, I would argue that Pakistan would have defended the title in 2010 if Gul wasn’t injured. He was at his peak and there is no way he would have allowed Australia to score 100+ runs in the last 7 overs in the semifinal.

So while it was a huge win for Pakistan, it wasn’t something extraordinary because Pakistan was among the favorites.

The CT was a massive fluke. Same conditions, same players, same situation - Pakistan will not be able to replicate that performance 99 out of 100 times.

It was a once in a lifetime event like WI winning in 2004 or India beating the GOAT WI in the 83 final, with the Indian players laughing at the idea of winning the final before the match.

The way Pakistan played in ODIs after the CT reinforced the belief that it was a fluke. We lost approximately 30 out of 40 ODIs between 2018-19.

I didn’t compare Misbah and Imran as captains and players. I compared their innings in the respective semifinals.

The perception of an individual performance is hugely influenced by the outcome of the match. Both Imran and Misbah produced identically poor performances, but since Pakistan won the semifinal and eventually the World Cup, that innings is viewed positively.

Had Inzamam and Miandad not played blinders and Pakistan would have lost, people would have criticized Imran for being selfish and he wouldn’t even be the PM today.

Similarly, if Umar, Afridi, Razzaq etc. would have played blinders with Pakistan winning the semifinal and eventually the World Cup, the same Misbah innings that is vilified now would be viewed as a brave innings and how he held the innings together under pressure, preventing a collapse and allowing others to bat aggressively.

The thought process of Waqar Younis is just bad.. which is pretty strange given that he is a bonafide great of the game.
Still living in the 90s and his mindset is still same.
Very rigid, no wonder he had issues with players because as coach you need to be more flexible.

Only wahab and Amir are retired that time. Hasan Ali was injured

Abbas was still playing, but not in form

But there were so many options...
Shaheen was doing well in LOIs and showing some good form by which he can be selected in tests, Faheem already made the debut
They could have picked atleast 2 of Rahat ali / Junaid Khan / Ehsan Adil, Sameen Gul and Usman Shinwari performed well that season instead of Misbahs buddies.. Also Nauman Ali, Sajid khan and Bilal Asif bowled really well during the 2019/20 season, yet he took Bhatti who was below avg..

Misbah took his buddies (Imran Khan Snr and Sohail Khan) knowingly that they are not fit enough to bowl in tests makes me more furious...

That speaks a lot about his knowledge, planning in terms of cricket, rightly so this guy after being captain for 4 years couldnt build a team and Waqar being in the capacity of coach and captain couldnt even produce 1 good player during their time...

Last edited:
Misbah : changing the coach is pointless
Also Misbah: got rid of Mickey as coach and put himself in charge

[MENTION=146948]Slim[/MENTION]

Misbah, Waqar and Afridi all said that there is no talent in Pakistan, and there are all 100% right.

Where is the talent? It doesn’t exist. It is only a figment of our fans’ imagination.

99% of the players coming through the system are not international class. The players that we hype are all mediocre and when they get exposed against top teams, we make excuses and try to find scapegoats.

Take a look at Naseem - he was forced down our throats as the next great Pakistani fast bowler, but when he was carted around by Australia, England and New Zealand and made to look like a nothing bowler, we blamed Misbah, Waqar and everyone else under the sun because we were not willing to accept that Naseem is a poor bowler and not the special talent that we thought.

Well Misbah continues to ignore talents left , right and centre. And he has very poor eye for talents + he is very stubborn to changes.

Also he has left a legacy of playing friends above potential which is still doing the circus in the team 11 selections..
Even in this WT20 i dont know in what way Imad is better than Nawaz , Asif Ali is better than Haider Ali,

Also in tests I dont know how is Abid Ali better than Abdullah Shafique, Saud Shakeel, Usman Salahuddin and even Umar Amin.. Misbah blocked Fawad Alam for so many years in favour ofAsad Shafiq.. Since dropped i cant see shafiq forever :asad1, he just simply vanished...

Let me put it this way, Pakistan have better players to play but they are not selected and are not played in the right positions.

This is the reason why Misbah and Younis had a long career in tests..
Also Hafeez and Malik still trying to sneak their way in after so many failures.

Haris Sohail should have debuted in tests atleast after 2015 CWC.
Maqsood was made to play at batting positions from 1-7 in his LOI career and he was gone forever.
Hammad Azam came into the scene as a future propect for the role of finisher, vanished under Misbah
Umar Amin same scenario under Misbah.
Sami Aslam another opener..

The same Misbah who is talking about making scapegoats, did the same during his captaincy career to accommodate his buddies and seniors to safeguard his captaincy..

Look at what Misbah did to Haider Ali, the kid was in sublime form coming out of the PSL, a batting position become vacant with haris sohail not touring the England series, did he give chance to Haider Ali :ds NO..

Also similar to Maqsood, he threw Haider Ali everywhere in the batting lineup and finally got him dropped. In his very short intl career he played from positions 1-6

Nauman Ali is getting his chance at 35 years of age and all these years he is been avg less than 25
Ashgar got selected in the squad , atleast he is a youngster who could have got the chance but No.
Zafar Gohar one game in SENA conditions and dropped forever.

As they said Kashif bhatti was selected to enjoy the tour and dropped without playing any games.

Abdullah Shafique not given a chance at all even against Zimbabwe

Recently Misbah was given with the top performers in QeA domestic cricket , did he play them. NO.

He had Kamran Ghulam, Salman Ali Agha, Saud Shakeel.. Still no chance for them in tests.. If a player is mediocre , he will give chance to him just like Danish Aziz, Khushdil shah, Asif Ali, to prove his theory right which is no talent in Pakistan, so that all the rotten old tomatoes and potatoes can still play..

Summary:
Misbah is definitely the worst thing that happened in Pakistan cricket.
The legacy that this guy has left behind , even Azhar ali wants to play till he is 40yrs without any substantial performance is pathetic..

Well Misbah continues to ignore talents left , right and centre. And he has very poor eye for talents + he is very stubborn to changes.

Also he has left a legacy of playing friends above potential which is still doing the circus in the team 11 selections..
Even in this WT20 i dont know in what way Imad is better than Nawaz , Asif Ali is better than Haider Ali,

Also in tests I dont know how is Abid Ali better than Abdullah Shafique, Saud Shakeel, Usman Salahuddin and even Umar Amin.. Misbah blocked Fawad Alam for so many years in favour ofAsad Shafiq.. Since dropped i cant see shafiq forever :asad1, he just simply vanished...

Let me put it this way, Pakistan have better players to play but they are not selected and are not played in the right positions.

This is the reason why Misbah and Younis had a long career in tests..
Also Hafeez and Malik still trying to sneak their way in after so many failures.

Haris Sohail should have debuted in tests atleast after 2015 CWC.
Maqsood was made to play at batting positions from 1-7 in his LOI career and he was gone forever.
Hammad Azam came into the scene as a future propect for the role of finisher, vanished under Misbah
Umar Amin same scenario under Misbah.
Sami Aslam another opener..

The same Misbah who is talking about making scapegoats, did the same during his captaincy career to accommodate his buddies and seniors to safeguard his captaincy..

Look at what Misbah did to Haider Ali, the kid was in sublime form coming out of the PSL, a batting position become vacant with haris sohail not touring the England series, did he give chance to Haider Ali :ds NO..

Also similar to Maqsood, he threw Haider Ali everywhere in the batting lineup and finally got him dropped. In his very short intl career he played from positions 1-6

Nauman Ali is getting his chance at 35 years of age and all these years he is been avg less than 25
Ashgar got selected in the squad , atleast he is a youngster who could have got the chance but No.
Zafar Gohar one game in SENA conditions and dropped forever.

As they said Kashif bhatti was selected to enjoy the tour and dropped without playing any games.

Abdullah Shafique not given a chance at all even against Zimbabwe

Recently Misbah was given with the top performers in QeA domestic cricket , did he play them. NO.

He had Kamran Ghulam, Salman Ali Agha, Saud Shakeel.. Still no chance for them in tests.. If a player is mediocre , he will give chance to him just like Danish Aziz, Khushdil shah, Asif Ali, to prove his theory right which is no talent in Pakistan, so that all the rotten old tomatoes and potatoes can still play..

Summary:
Misbah is definitely the worst thing that happened in Pakistan cricket.
The legacy that this guy has left behind , even Azhar ali wants to play till he is 40yrs without any substantial performance is pathetic..

It is a myth that we have better players than the ones we select. We keep hearing this all the time, but when these better players get a chance, they are not improvements over the ones that they replace.

It is just the fantasy of our fans because they want to feel better about the prospects of the team and cannot accept the mediocrity.

In England last year, had Misbah played Imran or Sohail over Naseem, our fans would have thrown a fit and blasted Misbah for favoring old players and not giving youth a chance.

We would hear stories about how Naseem would have ran through England and would have won the first Test.

We all saw how Naseem fared. He was smashed around.

Every few months we hype a new savior and when this savior fails to deliver, we make excuses for them and blame Misbah and others instead of holding the player accountable for his own failures.

Anyway, Misbah’s era is finally over. Let’s see what miracles our team performed over the next decade without Misbah lurking in the background.

Misbah : changing the coach is pointless
Also Misbah: got rid of Mickey as coach and put himself in charge

Biggest con man in Pakistan history.

The kind of guy who thinks there is a problem in the way everything is run, and he or his way of doing things is the solution.

For whatever it's worth, I am glad to hear Misbah, Waqar, Wasim and Wahab talk. One can see the stalwarts of (and till recently the management of) PCT's thought process, their analysis of a game before and after.

... and yet still no word on the root causes of the problems faced by the team and solutions to fix them. lol

Typical Pakistani mentality. find fault with everything. "oh ji system hi sara kharab hai" but when asked how to fix it, mostly we end up scratching our heads.

Just an observation: Misbah comes across as quite a dull, uninspiring personality. I wonder how he could exert so much influence in Pak cricket. Of all the speakers, Wasim is the most enthusiastic and Wahab is the most articulate and sensible. Waqar is bitter but Misbah is plain dull.

I can't believe he's still getting support on here. Not for his shadiness in grabbing the CS and head coach jobs for himself, not for being utterly mediocre, not for trying to bundle his buddies into the team etc.

Teams lose games, that's just sport and is acceptable. but to abandon your team at the last minute is unforgivable. It sets a very bad example and very low standards of conduct.

Even if he thought that he was going to get sacked, he should have stuck with the team. PCB wasn't going to sack him before the WC, and if he did a good job, he may have even saved his post.

Despite my misgivings, I was ready to back Misbah for the sake of the team but he's let down the team, his colleagues and most importantly Pak supporters down.

Problem is Misbah got to bite more than he could chew. A guy that was given so much power only for it to disintegrate like apple crumble in a mere 24 months shows what a flawed appointment it was.

To go and sit on TV and moan about the root causes is laughable as other have pointed out, it was his job to fix things but he's made the team worse and couldn't develop a middle order.

^ He was deffo sacked but was allowed to resign. If it was up to him he would have clung on forever.

Just an observation: Misbah comes across as quite a dull, uninspiring personality..

Disagree there. He seems very laidback in fact. Yes he is not very intimidating. That’s probably why he got along with everyone.

Comes across a guy you want to hang around to have a coffee with for some light and fun chit chat but nothing too intense.

Yeah? I felt that he is a dull person with very little sense of humour. I wouldn't hang/have coffee with him.

But you're right, he definitely doesn't come across as intimidating.

Disagree there. He seems very laidback in fact. Yes he is not very intimidating. That’s probably why he got along with everyone.

Comes across a guy you want to hang around to have a coffee with for some light and fun chit chat but nothing too intense.

^ He was deffo sacked but was allowed to resign. If it was up to him he would have clung on forever.

They would not have sacked him until after the World Cup. It would make PCB look very bad.

Misbah wanted to create drama by resigning, he succeeded

Just an observation: Misbah comes across as quite a dull, uninspiring personality. I wonder how he could exert so much influence in Pak cricket. Of all the speakers, Wasim is the most enthusiastic and Wahab is the most articulate and sensible. Waqar is bitter but Misbah is plain dull.

Someone who is not good enough but keep progressing or entrusted, that is called BootLicking
Just look even in IPL some very random below average cricketers like Dan Christian, etc. got picked up at lucrative deals (that is also another example of Bootlicking)

If bootlicking is a painting, then Misbah is a picasso

Because of this :

Below are some of the traits and try to co-relate this with your experience working with your superiors :

1) Wins and Successes are mine , Losses are because of COVID or previous regime.. Ex : After SL series loss in 2019... his statement.. We were losing a lot, so this is nothing new

2) Favorites gets unlimited chances. Ex : Asif Ali, Ifti Chacha
3) Fill the system with friends . Ex : Making Azhar Ali captain (knowing he failed before.) In fact, his captaincy became so poor that reluctantly Misbah had to do agree with changing him..

4) Frustrate WHO tries to correct you or debate with your poor decisions. Ex: Imad Wasim, other players
5) Takes credit for some ones hard work . Ex : Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman
6) Be in good understanding with higher ups, at the expense of ruining the system or the team
7) Always justify your position.. And save yourself and your superiors, instead of acknowledging your shortcomings or poor decisions

8) Those who don't agree, throw them under the bus . Ex : Sarfaraz, Imad, etc.
9) Blame someone who is not even available. Ex : Consistent criticism of Amir teven though he was not playing test matches.. All the test match losses in Australia is because Amir took retirement... Instead of accepting he just almost destroyed the career of inexperienced bowlers by playing them in Australia

10) Select friends for easy tasks and inexperienced youngsters for tough tours

They would not have sacked him until after the World Cup. It would make PCB look very bad.

Misbah wanted to create drama by resigning, he succeeded

Misbah the coward ran away ; what he has been doing for last 10 years

Because of this :

Below are some of the traits and try to co-relate this with your experience working with your superiors :

1) Wins and Successes are mine , Losses are because of COVID or previous regime.. Ex : After SL series loss in 2019... his statement.. We were losing a lot, so this is nothing new

2) Favorites gets unlimited chances. Ex : Asif Ali, Ifti Chacha
3) Fill the system with friends . Ex : Making Azhar Ali captain (knowing he failed before.) In fact, his captaincy became so poor that reluctantly Misbah had to do agree with changing him..

4) Frustrate WHO tries to correct you or debate with your poor decisions. Ex: Imad Wasim, other players
5) Takes credit for some ones hard work . Ex : Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman
6) Be in good understanding with higher ups, at the expense of ruining the system or the team
7) Always justify your position.. And save yourself and your superiors, instead of acknowledging your shortcomings or poor decisions

8) Those who don't agree, throw them under the bus . Ex : Sarfaraz, Imad, etc.
9) Blame someone who is not even available. Ex : Consistent criticism of Amir teven though he was not playing test matches.. All the test match losses in Australia is because Amir took retirement... Instead of accepting he just almost destroyed the career of inexperienced bowlers by playing them in Australia

10) Select friends for easy tasks and inexperienced youngsters for tough tours

And the root cause of it all is Mohsin Hassan Khan, who raised Misbah from the dead.

he and waqar took the easy way out
saving themselves from embarrassment

but i agree
trouble is everywhere
the idiot who selected an amateur coach
the person who decided to bring the biggest money grabber waqar back for 3/4th time after failing in all his other coaching roles

Pakistan cricket is done for many reasons
main one at the moment is players are just not good enough
we are on par with Zimbabwe and probably get beat against Bangladesh if we played in their hometown.

And the root cause of it all is Mohsin Hassan Khan, who raised Misbah from the dead.

And Mohsin Khan was onboarded by Zaka Ashraf and Zaka Ashraf was place on the helm by Zardari. And Zardari was brought into power by the voting majority of Pakistani awaam.

Waqar Younis got abit defensive
Waqar Younis said that if we look the past history, me and and Waseem akram got selected after barely playing any first-class matches. We have traditionally produced bowlers like this

Wahab in reply said that you cant keep on using yourself and Waseem as an example and ignore first-class experience all together.

Waqar in reply said that all other bowlers like Umar Gul, Wahab himself and many others came in like this

Wahab Riaz again replied that no that is not true, him, Shabir Ahmad, Umar Gul, Sami and many others came into the team after serving in 30-50 matches before making there debut. Amir was maybe an anomaly who came straight in. And as we came in with experience we also performed well internationally because of that domestic experience.

Waqar became very defensively and couldn't accept that logic

Misbah is criticised relentlessly by most PPers yet Waqar Younis bizarrely is often let off the hook.

Waqar's had 2 Head Coach and 3 Bowling Coach tenures in the last 15 years, and never did he demonstrate any evolution in his thought processes or willingness to learn from past mistakes.

This exchange literally made me cringe. The world has moved on from the 1980s. What a thoroughly dimwitted imbecile who doesn't even know basic facts.

My respect for Wahab Riaz has grown immensely.

Given how big a YES man Misbah is : only way he was (forced ) to resigned if RR had asked Misbah can you guarantee if we can finish in top 4/6; and then Misbah who just had total fun in his job in last 2 years, knew if he was fired from the role he might not get anything

Better to resign now, since anyways he did not develop the team
And secondly he can come back to PCB anytime if PCT fail to reach Semis

... and yet still no word on the root causes of the problems faced by the team and solutions to fix them. lol

Typical Pakistani mentality. find fault with everything. "oh ji system hi sara kharab hai" but when asked how to fix it, mostly we end up scratching our heads.

Fixing a broken system takes actual time. Our result oriented culture won't allow it.

Back