“Cricket in England definitely has a problem with racism" : Azeem Rafiq

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an interview with Saj for Isport, the former Yorkshire all-rounder Azeem Rafiq expresses his dissatisfaction with the investigation into institutional racism and explains why he feels that English cricket needs to get its house in order to tackle the problem of racism.

SEI_78424562-640x360.jpg

Former Yorkshire all-rounder Azeem Rafiq has expressed his lack of faith in the impartiality of the investigation into institutional racism at the club.

Rafiq alleged last September that racist abuse from staff and supporters while he was at Yorkshire had left him close to taking his own life. He said racist language was used against South Asian players and spoke of being “ridiculed” for not drinking alcohol.

Yorkshire launched a formal investigation and said a sub-committee had been set up to explore Rafiq’s claims, headed up by Dr Samir Pathak, an MCC member, and overseen by law firm Squire Patton Boggs.

The former player gave evidence to the sub-committee last November – but he has become frustrated at the lack of progress, as well as questioning the impartiality of the inquiry, because Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton once worked for a law firm that has since been taken over by Squire Patton Boggs.

Rafiq, who also said anti-racism initiatives by the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Professional Cricketers’ Association are a “waste of time”, said: “The level of independence within the inquiry has been a concern for me right from the outset. It’s labelled as an independent inquiry, but in my opinion it’s not really independent is it?

“Effectively it’s Yorkshire appointing someone to investigate themselves. Then for the Chairman of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to have a link with the firm who has been given the responsibility of the inquiry is simply puzzling. I’m sure there were opportunities for the inquiry to be truly independent, but those opportunities have now been missed.

“The narrative regarding the delays for the publication of the inquiry is that Yorkshire want it to be thorough. But I spoke to the inquiry in November and gave them people’s testimonies, names, contact details and then they came back to me two months later asking for further information that they could have asked for earlier.

“Frankly, I don’t know what they’ve been doing for the last five months. In addition they’ve not kept me updated of any progress or developments, apart from something that I received a few days ago which was supposed to be an update but clarified absolutely nothing.”

In essence, what matters to Rafiq is not the process and the formalities around such inquiries but the outcomes and the fact that the right people are held accountable for the wrongs that he feels were committed.

“I have become of the opinion that there has to be accountability if trust is to be rebuilt within English cricket and that accountability has to be at the top, from the people in charge.”

Rafiq also has grave reservations about anti-racism education programmes developed by the ECB and the PCA and feels that such measures don’t even begin to address the scourge of racism that he feels is embedded in English cricket.

“There has to be a proper plan to tackle the issues I have raised,” he added. “These unconscious bias training sessions that we keep seeing are a waste of time and have been going on for decades, yet they make no difference and have no positive affect at all.

“English cricket needs to show that it is a sport for everyone and that they actually care and that it’s not just about putting various hashtags out there which are just for show. English cricket needs to get past the hashtags and instead stand shoulder to shoulder and make cricket a game for all where everyone is welcomed.”

In a recent study it was revealed that 30 per cent of recreational players in England and Wales are British Asian, but only 5 per cent have made it to the professional level.

“Cricket in England definitely has a problem with racism,” Rafiq added. “I have only been shedding light on my experiences, but if you go up and down the country and ask people, it’s there, you will see it and you will hear about it. This is why Asian representation in England in the professional game in the last 10 years has seen a massive drop. This statistic is a telling one. Is anyone looking at the reasons for this drop, is anyone asking why this drop in numbers has occurred? This needs to be investigated.”

Yorkshire County Cricket Club said in a statement to i: “We have always taken the claims made by our former player Azeem Rafiq, extremely seriously. In September last year we began an investigation supported by an independent panel to look into both Azeem’s experiences and also to conduct a wider review into the club’s policies and culture.

“The panel had oversight of the appointment of Squire Patton Boggs and were in full agreement that the firm had the requisite expertise and experience to lead this important investigation.

“Roger Hutton, Chair of Yorkshire County Cricket Club worked at local law firm Hammonds as a junior solicitor. He left in 1996 and the firm was subsequently acquired by other organisations now known as the globally recognised firm, Squire Patton Boggs. Mr Hutton had never spoken to any of those lawyers involved in any part of the investigation prior to this engagement and they were not employed by Hammonds.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/azeem-rafiq-yorkshire-racism-inquiry-impartiality-progress-996317

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt this saga is going to end after the publication of the inquiry report by Squire Patton Boggs. It's very unlikely that Rafiq will accept their conclusions unless the report shows proof of systematic racism at the club.

Rafiq is 30 years old and should have been in the prime of his career, sad how things have turned out.

Will the full facts ever come out - I doubt it.

Will Yorkshire get to the bottom of what happened - I doubt it.

Will racism ever go away from English cricket - highly unlikely.

It's going to be interesting what comes out in the wash when the inquiry finally publishes its findings.

Having been in the system and grown up in England, I must say in many ways England is one of the least racist places in the world. Not many other cultures / countries would allow immigrants the level of rights and protections that England does. This however is based on my experience and I would say I am very good at adapting / fitting in and have the image to do so.

However - the one and only place where I felt constantly uncomfortable was in cricket. I played for a club in Yorkshire for almost 5 years. Cricket is my greatest passion but at no point during this time did I feel a part of the team. Nor did I always get the best vibes from opposition teams and families.

In contrast, I’ve spent time in the harshest banking environment with a huge drinking culture etc and despite not partaking, never felt I was left out etc.

Racism is strife in English cricket.

Will the full facts ever come out - I doubt it.

Will Yorkshire get to the bottom of what happened - I doubt it.

Will racism ever go away from English cricket - highly unlikely.

It's going to be interesting what comes out in the wash when the inquiry finally publishes its findings.

Racism and bias against minority is part and parcel of most cultures. The height of hypocrisy is when you deny it.

To give you an example almost 45 percent of doctors in NHS are from background

Any wild guess how many of them are in senior leadership roles

Less than 5 percent

Having been in the system and grown up in England, I must say in many ways England is one of the least racist places in the world. Not many other cultures / countries would allow immigrants the level of rights and protections that England does. This however is based on my experience and I would say I am very good at adapting / fitting in and have the image to do so.

However - the one and only place where I felt constantly uncomfortable was in cricket. I played for a club in Yorkshire for almost 5 years. Cricket is my greatest passion but at no point during this time did I feel a part of the team. Nor did I always get the best vibes from opposition teams and families.

In contrast, I’ve spent time in the harshest banking environment with a huge drinking culture etc and despite not partaking, never felt I was left out etc.

Racism is strife in English cricket.

I think if you speak with most Asian lads who play cricket in the UK, they will have experienced some sort of racism - either direct or indirect. Sometimes from team-mates, opponents, or from the crowd.

I remember when I played club cricket, there would be some places you would go and play where there would be open racist chanting and nobody did anything about it.

Racism is there in all aspects off life. That England is much better then all the discrimination and fanaticism we have in Pakistan.

I think if you speak with most Asian lads who play cricket in the UK, they will have experienced some sort of racism - either direct or indirect. Sometimes from team-mates, opponents, or from the crowd.

I remember when I played club cricket, there would be some places you would go and play where there would be open racist chanting and nobody did anything about it.

I’ve been fortunate enough to not face any direct and obvious racist taunting but the constant discomfort and doubt is almost worse.

It was always a hobby to me but I can see how it would be seriously off putting to a serious cricketer and make them really reconsider their career choice.

Rafiq alleged last September that racist abuse from staff and supporters while he was at Yorkshire had left him close to taking his own life. He said racist language was used against South Asian players and spoke of being “ridiculed” for not drinking alcohol.

Really sad to read what he went through. These are serious claims and not claims anyone would make lightly, especially this publicly. As such, they should be taken seriously. There will be more people who have experienced it, him speaking up will perhaps encourage others to do the same.

Racism is there in all aspects off life. That England is much better then all the discrimination and fanaticism we have in Pakistan.

Wherever it happens, it's wrong and shouldn't be accepted.

It's sad when people in authority turn a blind eye to it.

One of the worst incidents I saw was a former Pakistan domestic player called Jan Nisar Khan when he was playing club cricket in the UK.

A few idiots were racially abusing him when he was fielding on the boundary.

He was bowling well and taking wickets and the home fans didn't like it. He was not scared and was willing to take them all on. He was blowing kisses at them when they abused him :)

A couple of the idiots went on the field to fight him and his team-mates had to intervene. Eventually the police was called and they had to throw a few people out of the ground.

However as soon as the police left, those idiots were allowed back into the ground.

One of the worst incidents I saw was a former Pakistan domestic player called Jan Nisar Khan when he was playing club cricket in the UK.

A few idiots were racially abusing him when he was fielding on the boundary.

He was bowling well and taking wickets and the home fans didn't like it. He was not scared and was willing to take them all on. He was blowing kisses at them when they abused him :)

A couple of the idiots went on the field to fight him and his team-mates had to intervene. Eventually the police was called and they had to throw a few people out of the ground.

However as soon as the police left, those idiots were allowed back into the ground.

I have seen fights at club matches but very rarely are they racial. More like drunk spectators arguing with mainly opposition players.

In other cultures its on your face so you learn to deal with it

Where as in England its there in the background and problem is you don't know how to tackle it as its hidden underneath the skin so I guess this form of bias and racism is more dangerous!

In other cultures its on your face so you learn to deal with it

Where as in England its there in the background and problem is you don't know how to tackle it as its hidden underneath the skin so I guess this form of bias and racism is more dangerous!

Things is that often people also imagine racism too. For example a white man gets a job over a coloured one and people start crying racism. Never mind if the white man was better qualified for the job.

Things is that often people also imagine racism too. For example a white man gets a job over a coloured one and people start crying racism. Never mind if the white man was better qualified for the job.

Only time will tell if Azeem has been imagining it.

The inquiry at Yorkshire is supposed to be in-depth and reveal everything. Let's see if it does.

Only time will tell if Azeem has been imagining it.

The inquiry at Yorkshire is supposed to be in-depth and reveal everything. Let's see if it does.

I think Azeem could be paranoid.

Craig Overton

Ollie Robinson

2 that have been caught out - I wonder how many more there are.

Azeem Rafiq employment tribunal case against Yorkshire to start on Wednesday

Azeem Rafiq's employment tribunal case against his former club Yorkshire is to begin on Wednesday, though the first part will be held in "private".

Former spinner Rafiq, 30, filed a legal claim against the club after making allegations he suffered racist abuse.

Yorkshire opened an independent investigation into those allegations in September, which is ongoing.

The hearing, which is listed to begin at 10:00 BST in Leeds, is expected to last for two days.

Rafiq revealed last year how he would "dread" playing for Yorkshire, claiming "institutional racism" at the county left him close to taking his own life.

In his legal claim, the former England Under-19 captain is alleging discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, as well as victimisation detriment in his efforts to address racism at the club.

A spokesperson for Rafiq told BBC Sport: "The tribunal hearing, which is listed for 16-17 June, has been converted to a private hearing to deal with case management issues on the first morning."

Separately, the club opened an independent investigation into the allegations but BBC Sport understands a verdict from it is not imminent.

Last month, Rafiq said he had "no faith left whatsoever" in the investigation, which has been ongoing for nine months, adding the way it has been handled is "disrespectful".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/57488474

Yorkshire is a very racist region anyhow, they hate pakistanis

Most of northern England is very racist and ever since 911 , 77, Manchester bombings , brexit the hatred for Muslims has got worse.

Before it was ***** but islam/ muslims has become an acceptable cover for these racists since islamaphobia is not illegal and Islam is not a race .

Having tried to find a way to resolve the issues between the Club and Azeem Rafiq through the process of Judicial Mediation, the Club is sorry to say that resolution did not prove possible.

As the matter is still within the Employment Tribunal process, it would be inappropriate to comment further. We now expect the case to be listed for a private Case Management Conference.

Back