1 demerit point & "below average" rating for the pitch for the 2nd Test between India & Sri Lanka

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
1 demerit point & "below average" rating for the pitch for the 2nd Test between India & Sri Lanka

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has delivered its verdict on the pitch at Chinnaswamy Stadium used for the pink-ball Test between India and Sri Lanka.

The pitch received a below-average rating in the report submitted by ICC Match Referee for the game, Javagal Srinath. As a result, the venue will receive one demerit under the ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process.

In the report, Srinath said: “The pitch offered a lot of turn on the first day itself and though it improved with every session, in my view, it was not an even contest between bat and ball.”

According to the revised ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process, venues whose pitches are rated below average by match referees receive one demerit point, while three and five demerit points are awarded to venues whose pitches are marked as poor and unfit respectively. Demerit points remain active for a rolling five-year period and if it accumulates five demerit points or more, it is suspended from hosting any international cricket for a period of 12 months.

Bowlers dominated proceedings on the first day of the Test, with a total of 16 wickets falling on the opening day, nine of which were picked up by the spinners. At the end of the day, Sri Lanka were 86/6 after bowling India out for 252.

They were eventually bowled out for 109 early on day two and were then set a target of 447. The visitors showed a better display in the final innings, with Dimuth Karunaratne leading the way with a century. However, they were bowled out for 208, losing the match by 238 runs.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2542945

For reference:

2nd Test:

IND 252 & 303/9 d

SL 109 & 208

India won by 238 runs

Last edited:
I don't think this was a bad wicket at all.

India made 252 and Sri Lanka were 86/6 on the contentious day, and a result was guaranteed. Speaks volumes about Lanka's test quality rather than anything to do with the pitch.

Rawalpindi got a lucky escape

Karachi was saved because of some reverse and conventional swing by the bowlers, plus some sharp turn on day 5

Good to see ICC giving demerit point to a pitch from one of the Big 3 countries. I thought they didn't have the courage to do that.

Last edited:
Not surprising. Just because India and Karunaratne played well doesn't mean it wasn't a bad pitch. There were literally explosions in the pitch on Day 1. And that too when the spinners were bowling.

India have the worst pitches by far.
Those minefields where even a part timer can get a fifer.

Where are the indian posters who were bashing pakistan

Where are the indian posters who were bashing pakistan

I would anytime take a pitch where the match gets over in 3 days, than the drivel we were served in the first 2 tests in Pak Aus series. The India v SL test was exciting. There were either wickets or attacking batting.

The only thing that made the 2nd test somewhat interesting is Aus's bowling in 1st innings. If Aus had not bowled like that int he 1st innings, or if Pakitani batsmen had not capitualted for 150, we would have seen a repeat of the 1st test.

If I remember correctly, we were served similar drivel in the 1st tests of the 2006 series in Pakistan. Pakistan and India both scored 500+ in both innings leading to boring 2 tests.

Luckily we had an exciting 3rd test, thanks to Pathan, Akmal (whose innings BTW was better than Azam's) and Asif, and a good pitch for cricket.

How NAIVE to even fathom that since a wicket is generating result, it is sporting. Those who think such, probably have never held a bat to face some serious pace on these kind of craters.

These kind of surfaces not only create doubts for batsmen to play shots, but it can also cause serious injury or even be fatal. It is fun to watch gladiators fight as long as your life is not in jeopardy.

Pink Ball Test, Ahmedabad last year was worse than this. But that test got away with any fine.

This one was bowling friendly but from the visitor side, Karunaratne got a hundred in second inning and from Indian team, Pant and Iyer both played superbly. Yet, this one is fined.

Javagal Srinath, one among ICC's Elite Panel of Match Referees, rated it such, and the venue has received one demerit point.

This would not have happened before. It's just the social media pressure on ICC after Pindi which resulted in India getting a demerit.

India have been producing 2.5 day pitches for eternity.

FWIW I like Indian pitches. They always produce results and visiting teams are usually in the game until India wrests the imitative back on the back of one or two brilliant individual performances. The matches are fun to watch where every ball is an event.

In the larger scheme of things, this penalty means nothing. No one is going to ban an Indian stadium.

Some of the wickets India has dished out in the last two years have been absolute minefields. The ball keeps very low or bounces awkwardly (when the spinners are bowling) and by the second day you start to see that the batters simply cannot do anything about certain deliveries.

The Bangalore pitch was a classical Indian minefield in this regard. There were plenty of dismissals like the Kohli one where you just felt bad for the batter. The guys who succeeded on this pitch (Matthews, Pant, Karunaratne, Iyer, Mendis) were guys who took a counter-attacking approach and just decided that they were going to hit out before they got out. Karunaratne played probably the best and most patient innings of the four, but the others did not wait around.

I know matches like this can make for an exciting viewing, just because of the pure chaos on offer. But ultimately its just the opposite extreme of dishing out a docile, dead road. The only difference is that the bowling has an unfair advantage over the batting, rather than the other way around.

These pitches make it hard to rate India's spinners all time.

Pitches are usually grossly in their favor and they take advantage and hence their all time career records.

Some of the wickets India has dished out in the last two years have been absolute minefields. The ball keeps very low or bounces awkwardly (when the spinners are bowling) and by the second day you start to see that the batters simply cannot do anything about certain deliveries.

The Bangalore pitch was a classical Indian minefield in this regard. There were plenty of dismissals like the Kohli one where you just felt bad for the batter. The guys who succeeded on this pitch (Matthews, Pant, Karunaratne, Iyer, Mendis) were guys who took a counter-attacking approach and just decided that they were going to hit out before they got out. Karunaratne played probably the best and most patient innings of the four, but the others did not wait around.

I know matches like this can make for an exciting viewing, just because of the pure chaos on offer. But ultimately its just the opposite extreme of dishing out a docile, dead road. The only difference is that the bowling has an unfair advantage over the batting, rather than the other way around.
I actually like they do that they do that, it makes it a challenge for visiting teams. Only issue is certain players having all time great/GOAT tier records by feasting on these pitches.

Last edited:
A deserved rating. It was turning square straight away, which is too soon.

And it does inflate performance figures.

A deserved rating. It was turning square straight away, which is too soon.

And it does inflate performance figures.
How many 5fers have Ashwin and Jadeja gotten in India now? 50?

I swear both get a 5fer at least once an innings in India which is absurd given they're not that good where they should be able to pick a 5fer every Test.

It's insane lol.

Last edited:
I actually like they do that they do that, it makes it a challenge for visiting teams. Only issue is certain players having all time great/GOAT tier records by feasting on these pitches.

LOL luckily for India they do have some players who seem like they were born to play on these pitches. Guys like Rohit, Agarwal, Ashwin, Axar Patel, Jadeja and Pant.

And the batters do deserve some credit because I don't care how good you are, playing spin on these wickets is not easy. And bashing spin (which Rohit and Pant do quite often) is all the more remarkable.

LOL luckily for India they do have some players who seem like they were born to play on these pitches. Guys like Rohit, Agarwal, Ashwin, Axar Patel, Jadeja and Pant.

And the batters do deserve some credit because I don't care how good you are, playing spin on these wickets is not easy. And bashing spin (which Rohit and Pant do quite often) is all the more remarkable.
No issues with batsmen, it only enhances their reputation to be able to score runs on these pitches. Issue is with Jadeja and Ashwin who I swear take a 5fer every match in India on these pitches.

How many 5fers have Ashwin and Jadeja gotten in India now? 50?

I swear both get a 5fer at least once an innings in India which is absurd given they're not that good where they should be able to pick a 5fer every Test.

It's insane lol.

Yes that’s the thing, Jadeja is a good bowler and Ashwin is arguably a (home) ATG but some of these pitches are like firepits.

No issues with batsmen, it only enhances their reputation to be able to score runs on these pitches. Issue is with Jadeja and Ashwin who I swear take a 5fer every match in India on these pitches.

Yeah. I mean I get what you are saying. Ashwin has taken over 70% of his test wickets at home, Jadeja over 71%. That's one of the reasons why I don't think they can ever be compared to the likes of Murali, Warne, Kumble...even if Ashwin gets close to one of these guys wickets-wise. Even Herath who was a perennial home track bully took a lesser percentage of his wickets at home than these guys .

To his credit, Ashwin atleast has turned up some very good performances away from home. He has a good record in England and was very good in Australia last time. But the biggest reason both these guys are as successful as they are is because they are home-track bullies...the likes of which international cricket just doesn't see very often.

Last edited:
Yeah. I mean I get what you are saying. Ashwin has taken over 70% of his test wickets at home, Jadeja over 71%. That's one of the reasons why I don't think they can ever be compared to the likes of Murali, Warne, Kumble...even if Ashwin gets close to one of these guys wickets-wise. Even Herath who was a perennial home track bully took a lesser percentage of his wickets at home than these guys .

To his credit, Ashwin atleast has turned up some very good performances away from home. He has a good record in England and was very good in Australia last time. But the biggest reason both these guys are as successful as they are is because they are home-track bullies...the likes of which international cricket just doesn't see very often.

Bro to be honest , apart from some deluded fans, no one counts Ashwin as a GOAT. He is a very reasonable and hardworking guy. He has made full use of conditions available to him just like James Anderson. I think Pak fans are unnecessarily hateful towards Ashwin just because he is Indian.
Wasim, Warne, Mcgrath and to an extent Dale Steyn are GOAT bowlers in last 20-30 years. I don't think India has a GOAT bowler yet. I am hoping by the end of his career Bumrah might be close to it. He has fantastic stats so far in all 3 formats of the game both home and away.

Ridiculous decision.

Match got over in 8 sessions because 10/11 Lankans were shambolic.

Karunaratne scored 4th innings 100, Shreyas narrowly missed a 100 and scored 67 in the other innings. India wanted to finish the match quickly, hence so many gifted wickets in their 2nd dig, had the match situation demanded we would have seen a 400+ score in the 3rd innings of the match.

Bumrah had a match aggregate of 8/47, Shami was unplayable on day 1. Indian spinners took 10 wickets, pacers 10. 50:50 split.

Last 5 years curators in NZ and SA have been doctoring their pitches in such a way that spinners are totally eliminated from the contest, especially against visiting Asian sides. In the same time frame Indian pacers have taken more than 40% of wickets on Indian pitches, look at the home stats of Shami and Umesh.

If this pitch was rated below average every single pitch in NZ and SA of last 5 years must be rated the same, spinners take <5% of wickets in those 2 countries.

Last edited:
These pitches make it hard to rate India's spinners all time.

Pitches are usually grossly in their favor and they take advantage and hence their all time career records.

1st innings Bumrah 5/24, Shami 2/18
2nd innings Bumrah 3/23

Indian pacers 10 wickets
Indian spinners 10 wickets

Much more balanced than NZ pitches where the home team doesn't even field a spinner. Against SC teams pitches are doctored in such a way that Yasir, Herath, Ashwin, Jadeja have all been limited to the role of containment.

In NZ 1st test here last year pitch was such that NZ pacers picked 14/17 wickets. When will we see spinners take 60-70% of wickets in test matches in SENA countries?

One thing I'd like to see considered. The World Test Championship is an ICC tournament just like the World Cup, Champions Trophy and T20 World Cup. The ICC oversees pitch preparation for those events.

So why can't it supervise pitch preparation for Test cricket ?

Make no mistake, I'm not calling for the eradication of home advantage. ICC should keep the natural characteristics of that venue, i.e. slow turning wickets in Sri Lanka or Bangladesh, green wickets in England or New Zealand etc.

But it would be good to have independent oversight.

Bro to be honest , apart from some deluded fans, no one counts Ashwin as a GOAT. He is a very reasonable and hardworking guy. He has made full use of conditions available to him just like James Anderson. I think Pak fans are unnecessarily hateful towards Ashwin just because he is Indian.
Wasim, Warne, Mcgrath and to an extent Dale Steyn are GOAT bowlers in last 20-30 years. I don't think India has a GOAT bowler yet. I am hoping by the end of his career Bumrah might be close to it. He has fantastic stats so far in all 3 formats of the game both home and away.

Very reasonable and fair analysis. Personally I love Ashwin. Because he seems like a really smart cricketer and a genuine student of the game. But I don't think there's anything there that gives him GOAT status.

Bumrah has alot of potential to reach that GOAT status. But the only thing that stands in his way are injuries. As a Pakistani fan this is something I can especially relate to. And I think for you as an Indian fan, the example of Nehra is pertinent too.

And because Bumrah has gotten injured a couple of times this is something that I worry about when I consider him ever reaching that GOAT status. I am convinced though that Cummins will reach GOAT status because he is literally one of the fittest and most efficient fast-bowlers I have ever seen. And if he can come back from a career-threatening injury than maybe Bumrah can manage whatever injuries he faces in the future too. Only time will tell though...

Sensible teams will go for result oriented pitches because of WTC points system. Means advantage bowlers, 2000-15 was an unusual period where batting stats were heavily inflated (even SSC bully Samaraweera had ATG numbers), too many boring draws as well. Just like how some bowlers (HTBs like Anderson/Boult/Ashwin) have benefitted same was the case with batsmen of the previous generation, batsmen like Kallis, Ponting, Dravid who were so dire in the 90s suddenly started posting ATG numbers in the 2000s. IIRC in the 90s only 3 batsmen had 50+ average, Sachin led with 58, then Lara 52 and Steve Waugh a shade over 50. Next decade every top 6 team had 3-4 players with such numbers.

Now we are back to 90s type pitches. Only real ATGs like Smith and Root will separate themselves from the rest kinda like 90s Sachin/Lara/Waugh. Sure bowlers from all countries (except maybe Pakistan if they continue this lunacy of dead pitches) will have better stats but this is the only format not loaded against them, cut them some slack. Broad, Anderson, Boult, Southee, Ashwin, Jadeja are still very good players, they may average 2/3/4 runs less with the ball but that is ok IMO. 5fers will be same since now many bowlers will compete for the pie, for instance with India it has become very tough to see 5fers ever since we assembled a bowling unit of Bumrah/Umesh, Shami/Siraj, Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar, more probable scenario is them sharing the wickets equally, lesser wickets but much better average and SR. Like how 80s WI bowlers didn't pick many wickets individually but had ridiculous averages to show for their efforts. Every bowling unit will have this problem, because more candidates to pick wickets on slightly helpful decks.

For test cricket to survive the onslaught of T20, there must be more result oriented pitches, in fact I'll say every pitch must be result oriented (otherwise penalty) and only in the rarest of rare cases should we see a draw, courtesy some GOAT stonewalling or bad weather. In this age of T20 nobody wants to sit for 5 days and see the game move at a snail's pace, if we go with 2000s era pitches test cricket will be dead by the end of this decade even in England and Australia.

Sensible teams will go for result oriented pitches because of WTC points system. Means advantage bowlers, 2000-15 was an unusual period where batting stats were heavily inflated (even SSC bully Samaraweera had ATG numbers), too many boring draws as well. Just like how some bowlers (HTBs like Anderson/Boult/Ashwin) have benefitted same was the case with batsmen of the previous generation, batsmen like Kallis, Ponting, Dravid who were so dire in the 90s suddenly started posting ATG numbers in the 2000s. IIRC in the 90s only 3 batsmen had 50+ average, Sachin led with 58, then Lara 52 and Steve Waugh a shade over 50. Next decade every top 6 team had 3-4 players with such numbers.

Now we are back to 90s type pitches. Only real ATGs like Smith and Root will separate themselves from the rest kinda like 90s Sachin/Lara/Waugh. Sure bowlers from all countries (except maybe Pakistan if they continue this lunacy of dead pitches) will have better stats but this is the only format not loaded against them, cut them some slack. Broad, Anderson, Boult, Southee, Ashwin, Jadeja are still very good players, they may average 2/3/4 runs less with the ball but that is ok IMO. 5fers will be same since now many bowlers will compete for the pie, for instance with India it has become very tough to see 5fers ever since we assembled a bowling unit of Bumrah/Umesh, Shami/Siraj, Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar, more probable scenario is them sharing the wickets equally, lesser wickets but much better average and SR. Like how 80s WI bowlers didn't pick many wickets individually but had ridiculous averages to show for their efforts. Every bowling unit will have this problem, because more candidates to pick wickets on slightly helpful decks.

For test cricket to survive the onslaught of T20, there must be more result oriented pitches, in fact I'll say every pitch must be result oriented (otherwise penalty) and only in the rarest of rare cases should we see a draw, courtesy some GOAT stonewalling or bad weather. In this age of T20 nobody wants to sit for 5 days and see the game move at a snail's pace, if we go with 2000s era pitches test cricket will be dead by the end of this decade even in England and Australia.

Bit harsh on Dravid, he averaged 49 in the 1990s. His only underperformance was vs Australia against whom he averaged 32.

Totally agree with the last paragraph. I'd go one step further by cutting Tests to four days and follow the golf tournament formula of starting on Thursday and finishing on Sunday, with a mandatory D/N Test per series. It may annoy the purists, but Test cricket has always changed and evolved throughout history to adapt with the times.

Very good observations. This is why I rate guys like Karunaratne and Elgar so highly. And its because batting in the pandemic and post-pandemic era has started to become really difficult, globally.

But I don't think Pakistan making flat pitches is actually a thing. Seems like something that was done specifically for this series because they don't want to lose to Australia and are a little insecure about the possibility of facing Australia on a balanced pitch.

I think once this series ends, we will start seeing the kind of pitches Pakistan dished out against Sri Lanka, South Africa and Bangladesh that have a little bit of grass on them and offer something for the seamers during the first two days, then settle down and by the fourth and fifth days reverse-swing and spin comes into play.

Forget GOAT (only 2 candidates, Warne and Murali), I don't think Ashwin is even an ATG, and most Indian fans are ok with that. An Indian great and legendary HTB, in the mould of Sehwag, Anderson, Broad, Philander and superior version of Mahela, Clarke, Hussey since he is so brutally efficient in winning home matches for India, something like 8 or 9 man of the series awards in 85 tests.

But I like such elite HTBs, prefer such players over good (not great) all conditions players. First make your home a fortress, then dream of winning away. Mantra of every sport, football, basketball etc. Always have 1-2 such elite HTBs in your side even if it costs a little in overseas assignments.

Ashwin, Jadeja are HTBs but we have gone 10 years without losing a home series, and something like 35 wins, 2 losses. England haven't lose a home series since 2014 because of Broad/Anderson, and even that series loss was a 2 test one. NZ hasn't lost a home series for 6 years now because of their HTBs, without that stellar record they wouldn't have made it to the WTC final.

Bit harsh on Dravid, he averaged 49 in the 1990s. His only underperformance was vs Australia against whom he averaged 32.

Ok maybe I was a bit harsh. For me (Indian pov) the most important assignments in the late 90s were the 3 home tests against that brilliant Pak side (ATG bowling attack) and away series in Aus in 1999-00, toughest challenge in cricket those days. Dravid struggled big time in those 6 tests, Sachin was man of the series in Australia and scored that legendary 136 in Madras (Chennai). Had Dravid done something of note against those 2 sides maybe even that weak Indian team could have done something memorable.

I didn't check the stats but I stand by my opinion that batsmen like him, Kallis, Ponting made merry in a much easier decade for batting and unfortunately in the 2000s Lara and Sachin weren't like their 90s selves, maybe a combination of injuries/politics and mental fatigue of 10+ years international cricket and carrying weak sides for most of their careers till then. Statswise the likes of Anwar, Aravinda, Atherton, Kirsten, Mark Waugh too are underrated while many lesser batsmen piled on the runs in the 2000s.

Totally agree with the last paragraph. I'd go one step further by cutting Tests to four days and follow the golf tournament formula of starting on Thursday and finishing on Sunday, with a mandatory D/N Test per series. It may annoy the purists, but Test cricket has always changed and evolved throughout history to adapt with the times.

But with 4 days don't you think weather has a much bigger say? For instance if a day is lost to rain (happens so much in England, WI, even Sydney), teams will play pointlessly to secure a draw in 3 days, that will result in even more boring, lame cricket. Also bad light which is a big problem in SC, less daylight hours and in winter we often see only 80-85 overs bowled per day in our part of the world. For 4 day tests surely the aim must be to bowl 100-110 per day. How do you suggest we solve that?

Ashwin and Jadeja together have taken 5-fers only 5 times in the last 5 years.. To put it in context, Indian pacers have taken 5 5-fers in the same period. Indian pitches have been far more balanced than many other countries in the last 5 years where spin and pace both can do well. Even Jamie picked up 5-fers in India. Imagine a spinner doing the same in NZ.

I did not see anything wrong in the last match, to be honest. I caught some action and it was a fantastic pitch where spin and pace both did well. Batsmen who batted well scored runs as well. If the issue is matches finishing in 3 days then that happens plenty of times in green mamba's and I don't see ICC rating them as below average just because it finished within 3 days.

Last edited:
2nd innings Bumrah 3/23

Indian pacers 10 wickets

Much more balanced than NZ pitches where the home team doesn't even field a spinner. Against SC teams pitches are doctored in such a way that Yasir, Herath, Ashwin, Jadeja have all been limited to the role of containment.

In NZ 1st test here last year pitch was such that NZ pacers picked 14/17 wickets. When will we see spinners take 60-70% of wickets in test matches in SENA countries?

Thanks for posting the stats. I did watch some action and I felt that pitch was very good for pacers and spinners both. Batsmen who batted well scored as well.

Very good observations. This is why I rate guys like Karunaratne and Elgar so highly. And its because batting in the pandemic and post-pandemic era has started to become really difficult, globally.

Agree. Both very underrated.

But I don't think Pakistan making flat pitches is actually a thing. Seems like something that was done specifically for this series because they don't want to lose to Australia and are a little insecure about the possibility of facing Australia on a balanced pitch.

I think once this series ends, we will start seeing the kind of pitches Pakistan dished out against Sri Lanka, South Africa and Bangladesh that have a little bit of grass on them and offer something for the seamers during the first two days, then settle down and by the fourth and fifth days reverse-swing and spin comes into play.

Hope we see better pitches in Pak, like those laid out against SA.

I wouldn't even mind if the match doesn't go the full distance, 3-4 days results are perfectly acceptable provided the match is engaging. IMO helpful pitch (as long as not dangerous) for bowlers is fine, much better if there isn't a skew in wickets tally of pacers/spinners. Meaning make pitches where at least 30-40% wickets in SC are taken by quicks and in SENA spinners aren't rendered completely toothless by expert pitch doctoring (check NZ, SA especially the last 5 years, especially against SC sides). Even India has been guilty of making some pitches where 90% wickets have been taken by spinners, I hate those decks and always look forward to see Shami, Umesh, Bumrah do some skiddy, reverse swing magic to trigger collapses.

Pak made the perfect pitches against SA last time where both spinners and pacers reaped rewards.

Last edited:
Agree. Both very underrated.

Hope we see better pitches in Pak, like those laid out against SA.

I wouldn't even mind if the match doesn't go the full distance, 3-4 days results are perfectly acceptable provided the match is engaging. IMO helpful pitch (as long as not dangerous) for bowlers is fine, much better if there isn't a skew in wickets tally of pacers/spinners. Meaning make pitches where at least 30-40% wickets in SC are taken by quicks and in SENA spinners aren't rendered completely toothless by expert pitch doctoring (check NZ, SA especially the last 5 years, especially against SC sides). Even India has been guilty of making some pitches where 90% wickets have been taken by spinners, I hate those decks and always look forward to see Shami, Umesh, Bumrah do some skiddy, reverse swing magic to trigger collapses.

Pak made the perfect pitches against SA last time where both spinners and pacers reaped rewards.

Pitches supporting pace and spin both are very interesting to watch. Doctored pitches, which takes out spin or pace totally, are far less interesting because you miss out seeing all skills. Only dead pitches are worse than them. Even though I hoped to see SA win in Pakistan, but I liked watching those matches. All bowlers had chance to do well.

Last edited:
T20 is a monster waiting to gobble up the last vestiges of this Victorian pastime called test cricket. Either adapt or die. Nobody and I mean nobody is interested to watch two teams slog for 5 days with no result, this is 2022 and in smartphone era the attention span is at an all time low, even for grown ups. T20 provides thrills even in a lopsided match and always a winner at the end of the day, we have superover like penalty shootout which adds to the drama in case scores are level, at the end of the day one set of fans goes home chuffed and the other set with varying levels of regret/anger/frustration/disappointment, the basic essence of sports. We see draws in football but match lasts what, like 2 hours? Field hockey even less, 4 quarters of 15 minutes each. We see draws in chess but even classical chess gets over in 6-7 hours, mostly much sooner. Test cricket is 7-8 hours, x 5 days, can't blame fans if this format can't provide action and thrills. Fans don't owe test cricket anything, they are there to be entertained for their ticket prices or TV/streaming subscription.

If ICC has the best interests of test cricket at heart, penalize only those pitches which result in boring draws. As long as the deck isn't dangerous to bat on, who cares if it is in favor of bowlers. Test cricket is won only if a team picks 20 wickets, this format was designed to favor bowlers who are the matchwinners at the end of the day. In ODIs/T20s you can win a match despite picking zero wickets. Batsmen have enough things in their favor in white ball cricket. Let them improve their technique, defence and show us what they got in the ultimate format, run making should never be easy in test cricket. This is a format where Viv Richards and Gavaskar barely average over 50, that is the benchmark for batsmen, that is the way it should be.

Last edited:
Ok maybe I was a bit harsh. For me (Indian pov) the most important assignments in the late 90s were the 3 home tests against that brilliant Pak side (ATG bowling attack) and away series in Aus in 1999-00, toughest challenge in cricket those days. Dravid struggled big time in those 6 tests, Sachin was man of the series in Australia and scored that legendary 136 in Madras (Chennai). Had Dravid done something of note against those 2 sides maybe even that weak Indian team could have done something memorable.

I didn't check the stats but I stand by my opinion that batsmen like him, Kallis, Ponting made merry in a much easier decade for batting and unfortunately in the 2000s Lara and Sachin weren't like their 90s selves, maybe a combination of injuries/politics and mental fatigue of 10+ years international cricket and carrying weak sides for most of their careers till then. Statswise the likes of Anwar, Aravinda, Atherton, Kirsten, Mark Waugh too are underrated while many lesser batsmen piled on the runs in the 2000s.
Yeah that's a fair assessment. The 2000s particularly struggled in the fast bowling department, and the few tearaway quicks around were seldom fit enough. Now most teams has at least one 140kph quick.

Re: those 1999 Tests, to be fair there wasn't much Dravid could do in the 2nd innings at Chennai for that Wasim dismissal ! That's up there with Warne's ball to Gatting IMO.

But with 4 days don't you think weather has a much bigger say? For instance if a day is lost to rain (happens so much in England, WI, even Sydney), teams will play pointlessly to secure a draw in 3 days, that will result in even more boring, lame cricket. Also bad light which is a big problem in SC, less daylight hours and in winter we often see only 80-85 overs bowled per day in our part of the world. For 4 day tests surely the aim must be to bowl 100-110 per day. How do you suggest we solve that?

So for rain I would suggest covering the full ground as they do in SL. The ICC should also help the poorer boards invest in proper drainage facilities. Quite often we've the farcical situation where the skies are clear but the match cannot start due to a wet outfield.

With bad light, play under floodlights with a pink ball, and start matches earlier. One mandatory D/N Test per series would also mitigate this issue.

Regarding defensive play, ensure the WTC points incentivises wins to a far greater extent than draws. I'd also cap each innings of a Test to 125 overs forcing teams to bat at a decent clip not crawl along at 2 RPO.

Finally as I mentioned earlier - WTC pitch curation should be supervised by the ICC like other global tournaments, with an emphasis on sporting, result-oriented pitches. I understand some of these suggestions are radical, and won't guarantee fans flocking back into the stands, but I can't accept "this is how we've always done things" as an argument to keep a failed status quo.

I don't think this was a bad wicket at all.

India made 252 and Sri Lanka were 86/6 on the contentious day, and a result was guaranteed. Speaks volumes about Lanka's test quality rather than anything to do with the pitch.

I watched half hour the ball was spinning way to much

To be honest I would rather win a test and get 1 demerit point than draw and get 1 demerit point

2nd innings Bumrah 3/23

Indian pacers 10 wickets

Very true! At least Srinath was bold enough to rate the pitch as below average. I am not sure the referees in NZ matches were honest in rating the pitches NZ dished out in the last few years. Even in SA, we have seen very ordinary pitches.

So, can we say that Pant and Shreyas batted superbly on a wicket that was extremely bowling friendly and was rated a below average pitch?

Last edited:
I had great respect for Srinath, but by taking out his personal enemity against the KSCA by giving a demerit point to the pitch is unacceptable.

Problem is that bcci probably won't protest due to Srinath's stature as a cricketer.

At a time when 4 tests across the world has ended in draws, you decide to sanction the one that produced a result.

No way this was a below avg pitch. India scored 300 plus in the 3rd innings.

What is amusing is how a kiwi is talking about "doctored" pitches.

and how an Englishman is supporting him, while Anderson made merry.

What a joke!!

So it's India's and curator's fault that visiting teams can't bat for shiz to save their lives against the Indian attack. Any competent batting lineup and these game would usually go deep into day 4.

Am glad the pitch was given this rating. We have long had such pitches which donot offer an equal surface for all types of bowlers and the batsmen. We need more sporting wickets.

Also one in the eye for the life members of the ICC=BCCI gang and the BIG 3 is responsible for all evil in the world. BTW is Big 3 updated to remove Aus and replace with NZ? :ua

or is it Big 2 now?:ashwin

Lastly, i'd still back India on most pitches to put it past SL. But yeah, we could do with more sporting pitches.

I would anytime take a pitch where the match gets over in 3 days, than the drivel we were served in the first 2 tests in Pak Aus series. The India v SL test was exciting. There were either wickets or attacking batting.

The only thing that made the 2nd test somewhat interesting is Aus's bowling in 1st innings. If Aus had not bowled like that int he 1st innings, or if Pakitani batsmen had not capitualted for 150, we would have seen a repeat of the 1st test.
Real test cricket lasts over 5 days, otherwise it is not test cricket.

Real test cricket lasts over 5 days, otherwise it is not test cricket.

But in real test cricket, 5 days of test cricket does not yield only 28 wickets. That’s less that 2 wickets per session.
In fact, at an average every innings lasted 5 sessions in the 2nd test.
That’s not a good pitch.

Whilst the wicket vs Srilanka was a very tough one to bat on, I would much rather these Indian wickets compared to flat phattas that Pakistan has served up for a boring draw against the Australians.

Back