2011 SG TEST PADS & GLOVES - pictures & review

Knightrider

Local Club Regular
Runs
After selling GN Oblivion test, GM RSB and giving the SG supalite's to my brother. I was once again in hunt for new pads and gloves so I dropped down to Online Stockist again and he showed me new SG 2011 softs and I really liked the look of them and I wanted them because they are new and no one around me have them (nor anyone has seen).
After looking at all the new SG softs Ajit had, I decided to buy high-end model SG test pads & gloves. So when I received them the first impression was very good and positive. The softs are very Comfy and offer top protection. I have used them twice and they are very good quality, feel soft, light and comfortable. Gloves mashhallah are brilliant, by far the best gloves I've ever used. They are incredibly soft, light and comfy frm inside. I don't have any doubt that these SG softs are not the best out there, more importantly, SG I would say is easily the best soft maker out there. Trust me I have used many many different brand softs and nothing comes close to SG. I highly recommend them. Feel free to ask any questions.

Image1847.jpg

Image1851.jpg

Image1852.jpg

SGtestgloves2.jpg

SGtestgloves3.jpg

Last edited:
Dravid has his own range with SG now, the RSDs.

Being an Asian brand I cant imagine there being much difference in the look and performance, most tend to just be the same product (more or less) with a different name such as 12000 or 10000.

nice pads- how do they compare to the SS MATRIX ones?

Errrm both are good but SG test are more traditional style of pads, both light, comfortable and offer top protection. SS are more modern stylish looking pads. I equally like both.

Errrm both are good but SG test are more traditional style of pads, both light, comfortable and offer top protection. SS are more modern stylish looking pads. I equally like both.

SS TEST OPENER pads from last year were similar as well, right?

I really like this soft set, quality indeed!

Mind telling how much you paid ? And does the gloves have pittard palm?

Since the gloves are sausage style did it require breaking in?

Awesome pads, the protection looks top notch, love the way they look aswell, the gloves remind me of the old Gn nitro test ones (sausage design), they still look great, SG have stepped up in asthetics

as a matter of fact the fingers look very similar to top range kookaburra (I've heard/know they are made in same factory)

That black patch is Pittards, but the rest of the palm is sheep leather.

Image1879.jpg

I think the gloves have very soft finest quality sheep leather but they have a small label with pittard world class leather written on it. I'm not totally sure what it is, but it does feel like incredibly soft leather.
No the gloves didnt need breaking in because as I said in the review the gloves are very soft, and even when you wear them for the 1st time they feel very comfy. I paid same price as its on Online Stockist website. I bought lot of gear including kit bag, thighpad etc, so I saved few quid on combined shipping.

Last edited:
I met few Indian players today including 2 SG ambassador's, Rahul Dravid & Suresh Raina. I got autograph's of S. Raina, G. Gambhir, MS Dhoni & Rahul Dravid.
I had a convo with Suresh Raina and I asked him if he could give me one of his bats and I offered to pay £200 but he said he doesnt want money and its a long tour so he needs all his bats. When he was abt to leave he said if I go to the one day matches he will give me his bat.

Image1879.jpg

I think the gloves have very soft finest quality sheep leather but they have a small label with pittard world class leather written on it. I'm not totally sure what it is, but it does feel like incredibly soft leather.
No the gloves didnt need breaking in because as I said in the review the gloves are very soft, and even when you wear them for the 1st time they feel very comfy. I paid same price as its on Online Stockist website. I bought lot of gear including kit bag, thighpad etc, so I saved few quid on combined shipping.

Oh okay, thanks for replying :)

Do you mind posting pictures of pads where they are against the wall? And close up picture of the palm? It gives a better view

Hm interesting, I am a bit surprised to see that tag to be honest because they usually don't put that just because of small portion of pittard.

I don't know much about SG range but are these top of the range ones?

I have seen many pro bats (Taufeeq Umar, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Umar Akmal, Hammad Azam, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Hafeez etc etc) and I can safely say there isn't anything special in pro bats which one would die for or be desperate. Many people say pro bats are something special and what we haven't seen in our lives but I don't agree with it anymore. I think performance is guaranteed with pro bats but look wise, feel etc they would probably not be as good as the ones I have seen on this forum.

Oh okay, thanks for replying :)

I have seen many pro bats (Taufeeq Umar, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Umar Akmal, Hammad Azam, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Hafeez etc etc) and I can safely say there isn't anything special in pro bats which one would die for or be desperate. Many people say pro bats are something special and what we haven't seen in our lives but I don't agree with it anymore. I think performance is guaranteed with pro bats but look wise, feel etc they would probably not be as good as the ones I have seen on this forum.

I agree with everything you said. I already know pro bats are nothing special. When I asked Raina today for a bat today. I didnt ask him because I was desperate to see how pro bats are, I knew his bats would be nothing special & probably only good as my SG bats. When I asked him what type of bats he uses (specs etc). He just said he uses a normal lightweight SG bat.

Last edited:
SS TEST OPENER pads from last year were similar as well, right?

Yes the test opener pads are still similar even this years, only slight difference is they are bit cheaper & have traditional cane protection. SS matrix have more detailed knee roll design on the outside(they have little cuts) which makes them look better. Test Opener has a simple looking knee roll.

He offered you his bat in the ODI series, Top bloke!

How did you manage to get access to these guys?
What did you think of them two?

Indian players were doing time-pass in city centre(shopping). Thats where I saw them and the hotel they were staying is also in city centre(Nottingham). I think they all went to watch a movie. They all seemed nice and gave autographs without doing any nakre.

I was the only person who recognized the players, no one else knew/noticed them.

I ordered couple of SS TON Limited Edition 2011 bats of Ajit today and the bats should arrive in next few days.

My favorite ss bat - hopefully will get one for next season. Those look really good

Why don't you order SS KP (Kioren Pollard) rather than these two?

Why not SS TON LE? These are best SS bats, best value for money and most popular/best selling SS bats. After you use these, you wont pay extra £100 for SS Gladiator bats.
These are also my favorite SS bats, @ ca_gold the bat on the right would have been ideal for you as its 2.8 and the other one is just over 2.9lb.

Why not SS TON LE? These are best SS bats, best value for money and most popular/best selling SS bats. After you use these, you wont pay extra £100 for SS Gladiator bats.
These are also my favorite SS bats, @ ca_gold the bat on the right would have been ideal for you as its 2.8 and the other one is just over 2.9lb.

would take an SS or BAS any day over a CA or Malik. Hard to find SS retailers though with quality pieces apart from UziSports or OnlineStocklist. Hopefully will pick one up from the factory when i visit india later this year.

would take an SS or BAS any day over a CA or Malik. Hard to find SS retailers though with quality pieces apart from UziSports or OnlineStocklist. Hopefully will pick one up from the factory when i visit india later this year.

I once tried BAS bow 20/20 LE couple of years ago and it was a good bat. I was looking to order BAS again but Uzi Sports have really hiked up prices so much, I dont think I'll be dealing with them for a while.

Lukey sports is another good retailer of SS bats in the UK and their prices are good.

Has the Ranger been downgraded recently? That used to look like one of the best value SS bats.

No I think its same quality. I have heard it has new updated stickers (red/black) similar to SS Kieron Pollard bats. Most players now use SS LE bats so SS LE has become their new best selling bat. Ranger was popular bat couple of years ago.

This was my 1st ever bat from Ajit. It was a special bat, I regret selling it.

ssranger4-1.jpg

ssranger1-1.jpg

ssranger2-1.jpg

ssranger3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Knightrider, Sorry for hacking onto an old topic but if you were to compare between SS top end sausage gloves and SG test, Which one would be better ?. SG test used to be the best indian made gloves long time ago but unsure these days .

SG test are better then SS supertest gloves. SG are more comfortable, softer, more flexible, lighter and better made. The current supertest gloves are almost a copy of SG test glove design.

@Knightrider bhai...I stay in Hyderabad in India...I open the innings for my league team....I'm More of a front foot player & i also play cut shorts good..... so i need a lower sweetspot bat .....please help in selecting a grade 1 bat ...Here are my best options...
1.BDM Dynamic
2.SS LE.
3.GM Halo 606 or Luna 707.
4.Puma pulse new version.

SS LE would be my first choice-a middle mostly in the middle...BDM can be high or middle middle. Feel both these bats and decide.

Most bats now a days don't have really low middles....which is a great thing for the balance of the bat

SS LE would be my first choice-a middle mostly in the middle...BDM can be high or middle middle. Feel both these bats and decide.

Most bats now a days don't have really low middles....which is a great thing for the balance of the bat

@Cricketismylife bro.....But what about the Puma Pulse new version bat and this bat is available to buy on cricketershop.com at 7,499 Indian rupees But i'm confused which Grade is this bat on this site please help .....???

what is the model eg pulse 5000, 2000,3000 etc?

@ammo bro....Pulse model3000 bat is 7,499 Indian rupees
Pulse model1500 bat is 4,499 Indian rupees
But i'm confused about the puma pulse model3000 bat ....is it Grade 1 bat in just 7,499 Indian rupees ???

Its a good thing that you asked, a Pulse 3000 is grade 3 english willow and 1500 is not somethingh that tthey sell in I have heard of so I'm guessing it is grade 4 willow under a cover of some sort.
If I were you I would get SS LE or BDM both make supurb bats, you could also take a look into SG bats such as VS319 Ultimate its sweet spot is a bit higher (Perfect for openers) but the middle extends a long way and is good for front foot play. The SG is also reasonably light for its weight/size whigh is perfect for opening batsmen.

Its a good thing that you asked, a Pulse 3000 is grade 3 english willow and 1500 is not somethingh that tthey sell in I have heard of so I'm guessing it is grade 4 willow under a cover of some sort.
If I were you I would get SS LE or BDM both make supurb bats, you could also take a look into SG bats such as VS319 Ultimate its sweet spot is a bit higher (Perfect for openers) but the middle extends a long way and is good for front foot play. The SG is also reasonably light for its weight/size whigh is perfect for opening batsmen.

@ammo bro...I think i should go for BDM Dynamic power super(2lb 8oz) as this bat is priced around 175 dollars at Online stockist.comhttp://onlinestockist.com/BDM-Dynamic-Power-Super-Grade-1-English-Willow-Cricket-Bat-P796921.aspx ........

Is it a Good Deal for a Grade 1 cricket bat please Help ??

BDM bats are very good, my friend has a dynamic power and the ball just flies,in the end is it up to you, get which ever bat you are comfortable with.
Have a look at some other bats aswell just incase you find anything else

Back