50 MM Edges Bat ?

shoab68

Debutant
Runs
Hi Friends,

Few companies claiming they can make 50 mm edges bat in a single piece willow and that too in the weight range 2.10 to 2.11.

When i checked with CA Sports whether they can make me a bat with 45 mm edges they refused and clarified that in a single piece wood, after pressing it is not possible to make a 45 mm edges bat.

I was about to place a order for 50mm edges bat but am confused now.

What say guys !!!

I know there are lot of bat experts on this forum so experts please advise me whether this 50mm claim is genuine.

Thanks

Can be done but not in the weight you require, just remember edges are not everything feel is.

shoab68, how much were you going to pay them? how much did they quote you for a custom bat?

shoab68, how much were you going to pay them? how much did they quote you for a custom bat?
They were asking 225$ including shipping charges. My question is that whether it is possible to make 50mm edges in a single piece willow and in a medium weight of 2.10 to 2.11. What is your thoughts.

CA cant make edges over 40-42mm - they can never even think of 50 mm.

Last edited:
$225 for a custom Grade 1 bat?? From CA? Are you sure you were talking to CA bro? sounds too low.

$225 for a custom Grade 1 bat?? From CA? Are you sure you were talking to CA bro? sounds too low.
No Brother, CA refused to make even 45 mm edges bat, they will not make any custom Grade 1 Bat for less than 325$. There is another company, I don't want to name it who has offered this deal of 225$.

Even if it was possible I'm sure the wood be absolutely bone dry so wouldn't last long anyway.

No Brother, CA refused to make even 45 mm edges bat, they will not make any custom Grade 1 Bat for less than 325$. There is another company, I don't want to name it who has offered this deal of 225$.

mb malik and mids guys are more more than happy to make a custom bat for $225

You know I used to always looks on the edge size of the bat but now after experience I hardly care about edges.
It will hardly make any difference if you get 40mm or 50mm edge size if you are not middling the ball regularly. What you really want is the biggest size sweet spot area - now that will depend on a combination of factors like pressing, spine depth, concaving etc.

mb malik and mids guys are more more than happy to make a custom bat for $225
Sarmad Bhai, AS Sports is making for me custom Grade 1 bat for 200$. I have not tried with MB or MIDS. If MB and MIDS can make custom in 225$ then better to go with them as they are reputed companies.

You know I used to always looks on the edge size of the bat but now after experience I hardly care about edges.
It will hardly make any difference if you get 40mm or 50mm edge size if you are not middling the ball regularly. What you really want is the biggest size sweet spot area - now that will depend on a combination of factors like pressing, spine depth, concaving etc.
I think you are right, 40 mm edges are good enough if other criteria as you mentioned pressing, spine etc are perfect. You are spot on, important is to middle the ball then only it will go distance.

Laver made me a 49-50mm ultra as per pic. The bat weighs 2-11, it's an inch shorter blade, inch longer handle

DSC_0987.jpg

This was made from a standard cut cleft. It's almost impossible to get this sized edge from normal clefts as cut clefts are generally 45-50mm before pressing.

You may be better off speaking to Matt at hell4leather who cuts his own oversized clefts to make certain bats that he sells.

WoW, this is amazing man. 50 MM edges and weighs only 2.11. Gr8 craftsmanship i must admit.
How is this performing, ping etc and do you feel any difference hitting the ball compared to other bats. Mind sharing the price ? I will check with hell4leather for sure, thanks.

Only used in 1 game last season, was run out for 3!! But it pings superbly, obviously dead further up, As you can see there is not a lot of wood up by the shoulder area. The price was £220, but I do get a bit of discount from them. I think these are around £279. I know Laver have had a new shipment of wood in so there may be a chance of them making you one. Pick up on these are superb. Not sure how, down to the quality of bat maker. You would think these would be bottom heavy but they are not.

Only used in 1 game last season, was run out for 3!! But it pings superbly, obviously dead further up, As you can see there is not a lot of wood up by the shoulder area. The price was £220, but I do get a bit of discount from them. I think these are around £279. I know Laver have had a new shipment of wood in so there may be a chance of them making you one. Pick up on these are superb. Not sure how, down to the quality of bat maker. You would think these would be bottom heavy but they are not.
Thanks for the info!! 220 includes shipping? I will definitely try to get one for me.

50 mm edges bats

check these was 48 mm with standard hight and width but weight above 2.12 very rare peice of willow for these kind of bats

Attachments

• 244-446.jpg
    244-446.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 847
  • 244-451.jpg
    244-451.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,070
Bisharat bhai salam, if u remember i purchased 1 ASV10, MB LTD EDTN, IHSAN LYNX1 and later 2 ASV10. I am in dubai. These bats are single piece or laminated.

Aslam_O_Alaikum Shoab Bahi these are single peciec and sold one to Australia and one to south africa .Customer from Australia he demadning one more same bat I have offered him laminated bat same edges size but he refused . read his reply .

Attachments

• 48mm.jpg
    48mm.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 654
Aslam_O_Alaikum Shoab Bahi these are single peciec and sold one to Australia and one to south africa .Customer from Australia he demadning one more same bat I have offered him laminated bat same edges size but he refused . read his reply .
Walekum Salam Basharat Bhai,

Thanks for the info !! I will be in touch thru mail.

Bat edge size hardly has any matter in the performance of a bat. Lara use to bat with a very thing stick yet use to hit spinners miles into the crowds.

Bat edge size hardly has any matter in the performance of a bat. Lara use to bat with a very thing stick yet use to hit spinners miles into the crowds.
You are right sir, if you middle the ball then surely it would fly whether thin or heavy edges but heavy edges surely helps to carry ball further when you are not middling and top edging it.

You are right sir, if you middle the ball then surely it would fly whether thin or heavy edges but heavy edges surely helps to carry ball further when you are not middling and top edging it.

some bats have bigger and better sweet spot than others, so i basically meant its better to have such bat that one with 50 mm that's heavily concaved with a reduced sweet spot. I have a bat about 40 mm in 2.10 lbs. Plenty concave, while sweet spot hits really well, i'm afraid its very limited and the edges are dead. Ball have to hit exact center for it to perform.

So, i don't quite agree that bigger edges help when not middling it. If bat is not prepared good, it doesn't matter.

some bats have bigger and better sweet spot than others, so i basically meant its better to have such bat that one with 50 mm that's heavily concaved with a reduced sweet spot. I have a bat about 40 mm in 2.10 lbs. Plenty concave, while sweet spot hits really well, i'm afraid its very limited and the edges are dead. Ball have to hit exact center for it to perform.

So, i don't quite agree that bigger edges help when not middling it. If bat is not prepared good, it doesn't matter.
To me if you can manage the heavy weight of big edges bat then i would surely go for big edges. Bat preparation is very very important issue, normally i takes minimum 20 days time to prepare my bat.

I don't mean bat preparation after buying. I mean preparation by the bat makers. The bat I was telling you about, it is dead on cross bat shots as those hit higher on the bat. For straight drives, my goodness, its like MB Malik Bubber Sher - going like a bullet. And that bat edge is big, some people asked me if that's really a bat.

So, a bat heavily concaved to give big edge, but neglected the vital part, which is the meat behind. Bat playing drives well, very good sweet spot, but once it doesn't hit the center of the bat or high up, ball not going anywhere really.

Last edited:
Yup, I myself very much dislike the concaving! There has to be some meat behind! But its all personal preference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean bat preparation after buying. I mean preparation by the bat makers. The bat I was telling you about, it is dead on cross bat shots as those hit higher on the bat. For straight drives, my goodness, its like MB Malik Bubber Sher - going like a bullet. And that bat edge is big, some people asked me if that's really a bat.

So, a bat heavily concaved to give big edge, but neglected the vital part, which is the meat behind. Bat playing drives well, very good sweet spot, but once it doesn't hit the center of the bat or high up, ball not going anywhere really.
Got your point, You are spot on.

Yes, just a caution for readers not to get me wrong, not saying concave is bad. Just saying sometimes some manufacturer make the mistake and concave too much. SS bats are concaved and they hit really well so at the end of the day, it boils down to the maker. Concave also gives a better pick up as you can tell from SS bats. Concave is good if you don't try get the edges to fat as you'll be concaving too much.

Last edited:
Back