A detailed set of proposals for reforming Pakistan domestic cricket by MMHS

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
For any sports to continue at highest level, the most crucial aspect is the domestic system which scouts top potentials from every corner of the country and gradually grooms them into pro sportsman. There are factors like sports economy, mass people interest, physical structure, food habit etc., but still the biggest factor is the domestic system which varies from sports to sports. However, the fundamental of any functional domestic system is identical and it has few core scopes.

1. The system has to be fair, robust and spread-out enough that filters the best talents from grass root level - in this case accumulation of talents into a pyramid tiers, where only the best reaches and competes against each other at the highest level.
  2. The system has to be advanced enough to develop players in terms of skills, fitness, intellectual and mental aspects. It has to be modern and up to date in terms of infrastructures, technology and related educations. In cricketing terms, it should provide up to date and diverse facilities for the highest level in terms of training, playing fields, wickets, gears, technology, diet etc.
  3. The system has to keep the mass market interested, for the game to survive and for the next generation to remain passionate. This has to be done through exciting domestic competition, home and away culture which will lead a brand loyalty for domestic teams and a loyal fan base.
  4. The system has to provide financial security so that there is a professional class who can survive on the game as a career. This could be the very few top tier players, but those must have the financial and social security to focus entirely on the game, which eventually will motivate the next generation so that best young talents are not lost to other careers, secondary to their core interest and talents.

Public interest, future player pool, in fact survival of the game itself are extremely correlated with the performance of the national team, which is a function of successful implementation of these four core scopes. Looking at the Pakistan domestic system, I actually don’t see much of these. May be few things gradually coming in terms of infrastructure, facilities and financials, but PCB still is falling behind simply because other countries have moved forward at a faster rate. I believe most people following Pakistan cricket actually can identify the issues in regards to those core areas; therefore here, my objective is not to point fingers regarding what’s not there. Rather, on a positive note, I would like to identify a few issues that are essential to be implemented to keep Pakistan as an elite team in a small cricketing world. The discussion should give indications of what’s not there or what’s wrong there.

I start from No. 4, which is the first and foremost essential for any entertainment industry. Unless there is financial security, I don’t think only superstar image is enough to keep mass youth interested in a game risking hopeless future. I am sure already there are few plans in this regard, I can just reiterate a few.

• PCB has to come up with a financial model that secures at least top 1% cricketers of country (around 250). It’s not about what the top 20% of these selected bunch earns, rather more important is the bottom 80%, who must have a financial security that covers their post retirement career.
  • Depending on PCB’s budget, I would suggest a sort of central contract for top 125-150 First Class/List A cricketers and a decent match fee as well as revenue sharing.
  • On top of that, life insurance, medical benefits, pensions, family members’ engagements etc. can be added one by one as long as the budget supports.
  • Establishment of a professional players union, that has the bargain power for players and being the watch dog on behalf of PCB.

However, No. 4 is still not a quick fix, because it has a long list of recurring expenses, therefore it has to be a gradual plan depending on income. Coming to the other thre points, I do believe that these are relatively quick fixes and are possible within the current financial ability to a certain extent. Besides, PCB is gradually overcoming from its lowest point of 2010 to 2015 period in terms of financials; therefore I do believe that the other three points have a realistic scope.

The core of any domestic system has to be through decentralisation, that’s spreading the game all over country at grass root level and bringing as much % population as possible under national scope. In terms of Point No. 1, there are quick fixes possible within the current set up. Here are my thoughts.

• First, the Pakistan domestic system needs a proper seasonal calendar. At present, it’s unorganised and often influenced by international schedules. There must be a proper domestic calendar, regardless of international schedule, which should try to facilitate participation of international players as much as possible, but not essential. Only exception should be PSL, which we can look at during the discussion of point 3. They do have a calendar, but it changes every year and the schedule is not suitable for First Class games.
  • First Class cricket in Pakistan is most neglected. We can ignore the quality, but in terms of quantity, this year the highest number of matches that a player played is ten, which is too little. If I add the duration of the matches, it’s almost nothing cricket.
  • Ideally, Pakistan domestic season should start in September, till May and the First Class tournament should run across the whole period with gaps for T20 and List A tournaments in between. Mid-November to mid-January isn’t the best time for First Class matches in Pakistan, therefore Limited Overs tournaments should be slotted in during that period.
  • The hierarchy of any cricket system should be Club>Smaller Zone>Larger Zone> National level. I believe there are about 96 cricketing Zones in PCB’s current structure which is fine; one just needs to accumulate those zones in a balanced way in to a proper hierarchy, which eventually should lead to few regions covering the whole country.
  • From junior cricket, club level to FC cricket, the structure should sum into respective regions, which does not necessarily need to be aligned with administrative boundary. Rather, PCB should have its own regional demarcation considering the balance of population, talent, infrastructure and other factors; with a base (HQ) for every region.
  • In the current context based on all factors, I can suggest 8 such regions with the HQ: 1. Karachi Metro (Karachi), 2. Rest of Sindh (Hyderabad), 3. Southern Punjab (Multan), 4. Central Punjab (Faisalabad), 5. Lahore Metro (Lahore), 6. Northern Punjab (Sialkot), 7. Federal Territory, FATA, Azad J&K (Rawalpindi), 8. KPK and Balochistan (Peshawar/Quetta). Maybe in future, they can expand it to ten regions, with Balochistan and Northern Area promoted to regional Status. These regional teams must be a complete cricketing set-up, like the national team.
  • Top players will participate in highest level under these eight regions with some sort of qualification. Talent is not uniformly distributed across any country therefore there has to be a proper system for players from one stronger region to qualify for a weaker region, so that the standard of teams are balanced and inferior players don’t reach top tier through flawed qualifications.

The 2nd point is infrastructure, facilities, development and administration, which I think is the easiest part to fix because unlike Bangladesh, Pakistan has 100+ years of history. Lots of things are already there in place, one just needs to align that with a vision. I find it more to do with lack of initiative and good-will rather than lack of resources for this one. Again, I’ll summarise this one under the regional structure.

• It’s not possible for the PCB to improve facilities in every ground of Pakistan. Rather, PCB must identify two grounds in each region, that’s 16 in total, which will be used as home grounds. Already there are more stadiums than required; therefore, it’s just about a task of alignment. Gradually, PCB has to increase the number of grounds and improve facilities, so that the second tier gets the facilities and so on.
  • Domestic wickets are the biggest problem in Pakistan cricket. I don’t think there is enough technical expertise, good will or initiative for this one. For me, this one is one of top two priorities – PCB must appoint a qualified, professional curator at national level, under whom initially those 16 grounds and it’s wickets will be managed by respective groundsmen, whom gradually to be groomed into proficiency at their task. Normally, the soil mix of any good wicket is similar, it’s the soil content and climate that brings diversification in wickets in different parts of a country which should be same for Pakistan as well if the basics are correct. I think PCB needs external technical inputs in this regard.
  • The most irritating issue for me is the duration of First Class matches. Four days of match for a maximum of 75 overs per day isn’t the ideal preparation for players, which I have explained several times. One issue is the winter day light, for which I have suggested rescheduling of FC matches in longer days. Ideally, FC matches should be played for 6.5 hours and 105 overs per day. This will help the players developing physically and mentally, as well as improve Pakistan’s dismal record of over rate in internationals. Cricket skills are learnt in match condition – it needs minimum match time to master the art, for which 400 overs are minimum for a four-innings long match.
  • Another small issue is the balls used – we’ll have to find a balance between the financials and quality. My solution is again same - facilitate the top tier with best available balls/kits and gradually go down according to financial muscle. However, Pakistan having a history of making quality cricket gear; ideally PCB should work with the government to bring top brands in Pakistan to produce best quality balls locally. Raw material, manpower and market are already there in abundance, only need is technical expertise to start with; I don’t see why Sialkot can’t produce Dukes Test quality balls in a years time from scratch.
  • Regarding R&D, PCB already has a functional NCA at Lahore – what it needs is a cascade of this NCA in every Regional HQ, eight of them. Ideally, NCA Lahore should be converted into National Centre of Cricket/Sports Excellence (NCCE), where very best of the country and national team will train. There will be high performance pro coaches to work with cricketers to improve their overall game, not to teach fundamental skills, while regional academies will be focusing on fundamentals – identifying and nurturing the talents by teaching fundamentals of the game and habituate them into a lifestyle of pro sportsman.
  • Maybe, gradually, PCB can add a few more such academies in every region and convert the first one into Regional Centre of Excellence and so on. But, the entire system has to be an extension of National Centre of Excellence, so that there is a continuation of every technical aspects of the development program. In football, we can see that most top national teams has unique style of their game, which often is reflected in their domestic leagues as well, because the players are groomed into a countywide system of similar football philosophy.
  • Gradually, NCCE should start programs for support staffs of the game – Umpires, Groundsmen, Level 3-4 Coaching programs – trainees from such programs should gradually integrate into the countrywide system. The entire program is only possible with a 5-10 year plan, otherwise financially, it’s not viable at one go.
  • One major issue in Pakistan cricket is the systematic age cheating. It’s not a monopoly of Pakistan only, but one has to address it such that, players are picked and given chances to develop at right age. I put this one under technical and development section rather than administrative scope because learning has an exponential correlation with appropriate learning age – NCCE can come up with best coaching programs for different age groups, but it can only be fruitful, if appropriate genuine age class is maintained. Any country can play over aged players in ICC tournaments, as long as ICC is reluctant, but from self-development perspectives, PCB has to be strict with age regarding development programs.
  • In modern sports, fitness is one of the most important aspects, which is neglected in current system. Part of it is because of upbringing of the players who are not groomed into a pro sportsman’s life style, but the main reason is that there is no such system of check and feedback. Players are playing in domestics almost like mercenaries and are paid match by match, therefore the clubs and coaching staff don’t have the imposing power on players. It’s also true that players are not financially secure and are not guided by proper system, therefore often are not able to maintain the standard. Going forward, at least those centrally contracted First Class cricketers must have to be brought under strict fitness and diet regime. It’s more of cultural issue – just after a few years of methodical approach, things will change. Already, we can see players born in 90s and later are much fitter. The fitness standards and methods for the First Class cricketers must be administrated centrally by PCB and NCA.
  • Leadership is a big problem in Pakistan cricket – most of the top players are not natural leaders, because they are not brought into leadership at right age – this has to be addressed at domestic level. No suggestions here, because the idea is obvious.
  • Last but not the least is keeping clean image of Pakistan cricket regarding fixing, for which I am sure scouting starts at domestic level. PCB has to come up with a comprehensive plan in this regard, including rules and regulations on and off the game - may be with the support of ICC, but it has to be implemented at least from FC level. There is no point in being surprised to see top internationals involved in dodgy acts for amounts less than their match fee, because most cases these players are entrapped at domestics on future potential, before they are even national regular.

The 3rd point is domestic tournaments, brand building and marketing of the events. I feel, this is the most lagging point in Pakistan cricket, which actually is far behind even BCB and Bangladesh. One part of the problem is proper marketing strategy, which I don’t see any problem in a cricket mad country with large population base. But, the 2nd part has lots of baggage to carry. One by one, we can have a look at this from School/Junior, Student/Age level, T20, List A up to FC cricket.

School/Student/Age level

• First and foremost, PCB should arrange a countrywide school cricket program (which is synonymous to U16 cricket). I won’t go to functional details, but ideally thousands of schools should participate. But, there should be at least five schools/colleges (till 12th class) in every region, which has proper cricket facilities including a pro coach. These schools will gradually accumulate best kids from U13/U14 level from various schools into a system that allows those multi-talented kids to focus on cricket along with studies. At 15, hardly any guardian will allow kids to leave studies for cricket, but there should be a system that keeps these kids in game, few of them eventually will represent national team with a decent educational background.
  • At least one university in every region should be there with proper cricket infrastructure and they will intake students in players’ quota. These universities must have their cricket tournament in between so that talented players with an ambition to carry on studies are not lost by the age of 19. Some of those can finish studies and still make a successful comeback in pro cricket, like many cricketers do in UK, while in US almost every pro sportsman comes from college teams. This is different from age level cricket, rather it’s more of an opportunity for players to carry on cricket while they finish studies and may be come back to cricket few years delayed.
  • At one point, Pakistan had very good junior level cricket tournaments – U13, U16 and U19 tournaments. I am sure, at present there are few such tournaments going on, but this needs to be polished. I think, there should be 2 national tournaments, again in the structure of Zone (96) and Region (8) – U16 and U19, if possible, U13 as well. Ideally, there should be grass root level tournaments that filter best talents for national competition from genuine U13/14 level. PCB must focus on a few aspects:
    1. Proper age bracket is strictly followed
    2. There are enough matches for the top of the pyramid - Maybe preliminary level can be knock-out, but the top tier must have a proper tournament with adequate number of matches
    3. These kids must play in three day formats, may be LO as well, but two innings game is essential to develop cricketers at junior level

Twenty20

• T20 is the ground reality of modern Cricket context. I might not like it, but it will be there and it has to be there as money making machine which should feed the entire system. I read lots of comments that other formats are not financially viable, popular, won’t survive etc. but, we’ll have to see it as a combined business model – T20 is there to make money, while the other formats are to supply the players.
  • Too much T20 isn’t good for grooming a player. There should be two T20 tournaments in a calendar year – PSL and domestic T20. PSL is being arranged excellently, just one more team and it’s perfect; only thing PCB must restrict that it doesn’t grow to more and more teams – may be eventually eight, that’s the maximum. Only qualitative addition in PSL I can suggest is more of a marketing effort than cricket – I’ll introduce a PSL All-Star at the midway point of the tournament, like the North American games. The idea is fans will be voting online for 2 x 11 teams till the cut-off date and the highest voted 22 players face-off. We can make it in any dimension – North vs South, East vs West, Local vs Foreign - doesn’t matter as long as it keeps the fans engaged.
  • For the domestic T20, ideally the timing should be November-December, when day light is minimum and this will be used as a scouting opportunity for PSL teams a month later. The idea is simple – 16 City/Corporate based franchise with local players - teams playing in two divisions with four to be promoted and four to be demoted every year (this makes the tournament extremely competitive till last ball of preliminary rounds). Maybe a couple of foreigners can be allowed in each team, but this is not a money-making tournament; rather it’s to scout players from grass roots. This can be used to keep players honest in terms of age, by adding a clause that one has to be at least 19 to qualify for this tournament (the more you cheat, the more you are delayed).

List A

• List A is the most critical format of the game which is based on tactics, strategy and combination. It’s not about the best 11 players, rather best combination of 11 players is often the key. This is the format that needs the most care in Pakistan cricket. Ideally, there should be three List A Tournaments in a season – one for mass players, one for top tier and one for the very best, a Gala event.
  • The first List A tournament may start as the season opener, which is a countrywide 25-35 days tournaments with lots of teams in 3-4 divisions, covering 600 players+, may be played simultaneously at different venues, for 40 to 50 overs. The second one is standard List A competition, aligned with the eight regional teams for home and away 50-over matches across the season.
  • The 3rd one is a Gala event, which BCCI used to arrange as a selection tool for national team. It’s a short but impactful tournament between perhaps four teams, playing double/triple leagues over three weeks among the best few players cascading Pakistan national team in terms of strategy and combination. The idea is that PCB’s central selection committee will identify available 64 top players over the season and this 64 will form 16 sets of 4 players each in every skill that Pakistan National team should need. After a closed draft (each team picks 1 player from each of 16 rounds), there should be 4 almost identical teams, each one should reflect a mini Pakistan ODI team in terms of combination and skill set. Four teams to play double/triple league in a particular venue, under supervision of individual team coaching staff and national set ups (coaches, selectors). Six to nine hard fought 50-over matches in three weeks against similar opponents, under close monitoring – these teams should be a reflection of the national team, while the national team is just an accumulation of the very best among the best performers. Also, being a selective draft, the average age of these four sides are at national coach, captain and selectors' hand – they can decide whom to call for the draft. Open drafts are not effective because often nepotism creeps in and the talented junior players miss out.

First Class

• First Class cricket is the mother of all crickets – it identifies players, grooms them and polishes them into professionals. Cricket is a game very similar to snooker – extremely skilled, but slow in nature, you need time to show your skills. Just like pool players can’t ever make a decent transition to snooker (But, Ronny will beat any Pool player with few day’s practice – he did that many times), T20 can’t produce quality cricketers, who has to be groomed through FC games. Today we see T20 superstars like Gayle, Pollard or Afridi, because they started T20 after completing their baptism in FC cricket.
  • For First Class cricket, I’ll have to mention a few limitation of Pakistan’s system, which at present status, actually is inferior to Zimbabwe. We are already aware of the odd season for FC cricket, the short duration of the match, the balls used, and over all competition level. I’ll add a few – in Pakistan, FC matches are played in a rush, whole tournament in three months’ time and it’s almost nonstop with a four-day match scheduled on every sixth morning. If we take one day for travelling, this doesn’t allow players any time to work on their game at nets or nurture any injuries. Since there is no central contract, players keep playing hiding injuries which becomes a chronic habit. Also, that short span of FC season isn’t ideal for emerging players who might miss a couple of weeks or fail in a couple of matches, which could be end of their season. Besides, the current system doesn’t build loyalty among players or fans as there is no association with the team.
  • Ideally, the season should be spread over seven months, from September to May with gaps for winter season (Mid-November to mid-January, when LO tournaments can be played), for PSL and for the List A Gala event. It should be like 2-3 back to back matches, then couple of weeks break so that players can work with their coaches, and so on.
  • I am not sure how to keep the Corporate teams in regional concept. Ideally, these Corporate teams shouldn’t exist, but these Corporates have established systems, facilities and they are serving Pakistan cricket for seven decades; eliminating Corporates isn’t fair on them either. Besides, they are the biggest source of employment for cricketers. In that regard, we can’t abolish the Corporate structure entirely; on the contrary, unless the regional model is incorporated, the core of the system will always remain flawed.
  • The fundamental of every functioning Cricket system in United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India or West Indies (Now in Bangladesh as well) is built on the structure I discussed here. Also, before writing, I have actually gone through both the structures suggested by Majid Khan and Imran Khan which is similar to this, therefore I don’t think PCB has any alternatives – they have to bring a regional model that covers entire Pakistan. Corporates can sponsor regional teams and integrate their infrastructure to their respective FC Regions, but that serves only eight brands. Also, not every regional team will be lucrative enough for sponsorship at the start.
  • I can see two possible solutions here – first one is that PCB can arrange the FC Cricket in a regional structure and run the List A/Domestic T20 tournament under Corporate structure.
  • The second solution is more appropriate, considering the population base and available player pool – PCB can run two FC tournaments simultaneously with a higher tier (Regional) and Lower tier (Corporate). The idea is may be 8 (or 16) Corporate teams will participate in FC Tournaments (rest in Grade Cricket as qualifier, just like Patron’s Trophy in current system), as a shadow of the eight regional teams (1 each for 8 team single league/division; 2 each for 16 teams two league/division). Every regional team and attached Corporate team(s) should have a total pool of 35-36 players, may be 15-18 under central contract and rest to play FC and List A match by match. Every round, top/selected 11 will start for Regional teams (higher tier), next bunch will start for the Corporate League at same time and both matches are FC/List A status.
  • This way, it’s possible to include over 250 players without sacrificing the quality of top tier. Also, it can happen that an outstanding 14-year-old kid can be fast tracked, in mid-season from lower level. This concept is used in County Cricket, where they run second team tournament (but not FC status), while in Australia, they do the same with Grade cricket (players not selected for Shield match returns to Grade cricket, which is not FC Status). This is the best possible solution, because Pakistan with 200 million population base can’t operate with only 8 FC teams; at the same time it shouldn’t sacrifice quality with 48 FC teams and over 600 FC players playing each other.
  • One of the best FC match I like to follow and I actually watch is the Irani trophy. I like the concept, which should be introduced by PCB as well – defending FC champions taking on the rest of the country in a five-day match, it’s like a FC Season All-Star game at the start or end of the season.

Ideally, a regular player should play at least 15 FC matches in a year. If we go for the dual tournament model, a player should play 16 (14 in league, the Final and may be the season opener) matches. Also, this structure allows player to have a sort of promotion/relegation between Regional and Corporate tournaments, which should keep them honest always.

One problem I have seen in Pakistan cricket is that the same player plays in different level, which isn’t the right way because top tier players can over perform with less efforts and they’ll remain complacent. The domestic system has to cater this issue and ensure that the top bunch is kept honest in terms of competitiveness; otherwise, Pakistan domestic stats will remain meaning less like now. Ideally, majority of a squad should be automatic choice based on domestic stats; a national selector should identify ready players for a combination or a particular condition for national team rather than try to find talent for a particular role. That will be possible only when the system filters out the best talents and the stats are meaningful, which is impossible now and that makes the job of PCB’s Chief Selector most challenging.

Going back to the seasonal calendar - if we consider a nine-month season from September to May, that’s about 265 days, or around 38 weeks excluding few festival breaks. It’s quite easily manageable to slot 6 weeks for PSL, 5 weeks for domestic T20, 3 weeks for List A Gala event, 5 weeks for the mass level List A tournament; still it should leave 18-19 weeks for the two prime tournaments – FC cricket and Standard List A tournament.

Last of the lot is selling cricket in Pakistan, for me which had been the biggest surprise. What I feel is PCB never tried to market domestic cricket as a commodity and never thought of associating emotions with club/team brand. This is one core area that the PCB must address – maybe appoint a professional from FMCG industry with vast experience of brand management is the way. That gentleman will find ways to sell the most sought-after product in Pakistan and keep his high paid job safe. There is everything ready for it – even PTV has a sports specific terrestrial channel, there are stadiums ready in every big city, there are large middle class populous cities all across Pakistan. The opposite is actually bigger surprise for me - unlike India, Pakistan is relatively restricted society for mass entertainment other than sports, which suggests that Cricket should be sold better there.

On a positive note - within several limitations, to be fair, PCB has done some fantastic work in the last two decades – central contracts, academies, modern training facility, certified coaches etc. I do believe that the cricket infrastructure in Pakistan is multiple times better, spread-out and systematic than what it was 35 years back, when it was all about talented youngsters finding a County – they’ll do the rest. Problem is, it was so poor then and the rest of the world (including some minnows) has advanced so much that Pakistan’s system still looks non-functional and obsolete. PSL is a catalyst for Pakistan cricket if PCB can maintain it successfully. I am sure we'll see a fast forward progress in Pakistan's cricket with the success of PSL, with the professionalism and money that it’s bringing in the game. Besides, Pakistan's players are kept isolated from IPL, which is the T20 version of 80s County; but once ECB starts its own T20 league, I am sure many Pakistani players will compete there with global stars, which will help them developing the mental aspects. Unfortunately, cricket can’t be developed through T20s, therefore PCB has to improve the FC system. Pakistan has a long history and tradition of producing outstanding individuals, if the fundamentals (skill and mass interest) are there - it won't take long for a turn around, if the domestic system functions properly.

PS: I tried to gather my thoughts here, but it’s not possible to explain technical aspects or functional details without making it a book. May be, I can address specific inquiries individually.

Many thanks to MMHS for this

Amazing insight and very carefully thoughtout views as usual!

Your comments are most welcome.

Only six months ago [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION], was saying that we will be playing the likes of Nepal and Scotland in a few years.

In past year we have been ranked #1 Test side in the world and are Champions Trophy winners

Very comprehensive,well done [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION].I agree with most of your points.

My favourite poster here and one of the the reasons I registered for PP some time back. [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION]. I have always read his posts very carefully and I find his posts to be of highest quality especially about the domestic cricket.

The thing that confuses me after reading the OP though is that you firstly you have suggested a system that will be a region-based one but then you went on to suggest that there should be "some room" for corporate teams as well.I find it highly confusing what you actually have suggested,whether having a region-based or corporate or a middle ground?

Personally,I don't think regional teams are going to survive in the model you have suggested.Departmental teams will always be of higher ceiling for the players because they will want the financial security.To have two tournaments at the same will create huge confusion amongst the players as to which team they choose even when their departmental team have to play qualifiers.

I agree with the fact that there should be a system where there will be a room for relegation for some players as you have suggested but I dont think having regional and departmental playing simultaneously is the way forward.

In order to keep our domestic cricket kicking and alive we have to decide as to what the role of departmental teams will be.They have served us well all these years but it is the time to invest in the regional or similar model to keep the game alive and produce quality and not dross.They should be the sponsors who will work closely with a particular region.

Good proposals but Pak cricket is doing well at the moment and despite all the negativity our domestic is comfortably ahead of Sri Lanka,BD etc

We cannot afford to stagnate just because we won a trophy - we must use this opportunity to further improve.

Just a footnote - I wrote most part of it during my vacation on last Christmas period, therefore few points might look redundant (started already by PCB), but most points are actually applicable universally. At PP, we just wanted to publish it during a long summer break so that PPers has something to read & discuss.

The scope of it is beyond short term result of PAK team - it's more of a long term road map, which definitely should need time to time adjustments according to the then situation. Whoever, almost every points that I tried to discuss here are actually taken from several cricket systems successfully running globally over two centuries - I just tried to accumulate those & plotted in PAK context.

Thanks for reading - I'll definitely try to respond all the tags whenever I get the time.

Good proposals but Pak cricket is doing well at the moment and despite all the negativity our domestic is comfortably ahead of Sri Lanka,BD etc

It's not about the moment. Pakistan cricket is a business as much as it is a game. Our goal is not to beat SL or BD, it's to beat England, India, and Australia. Right now the biggest problem with Pakistani cricket is that quality players get to the team either early or late. Sarfraz was U-19 captain in 2006-it took him 11 years to become Captain of Pakistan in all formats. In a better structure he would have been transitioned in between 2011-2013 as he would have been a part of the side at that point (Akmals kept him out), and he would have received the appropriate mentorship and planning from leadership. I get it, there were extenuating circumstances, but you can't tell me he could not have at least become T20 captain by 2014 when it was glaringly obvious Misbah and Afridi weren't getting the job done.
On the other hand, you have to think the likes of the Akmals came in far too early. They were fast-tracked into the side, given opportunities, but end of day they learned the lesson that they did not have to work on their cricket game to stay in the side, at least until the current regime under Mickey Arthur came in.

I like MMHS's thoughts on monetizing the domestic structure. There's provincialism in every other area of Pakistan and it's ruining the country. You might as well transfer that provincialism to local regions-perhaps by competing in sports, they will learn the professionalism needed to work as a team in other areas.

MMHS, your school cricket thoughts make sense, but there's one vital issue that affects the school structure outside of cricket-the poor state of Pakistan's educational system. It is shameful that an Islamic country does not have a strong academic system. There are too many "paper schools" and other associated problems. If you can fix the educational system, the school cricket system will be strong again.

Great analysis. I think there's a lot more work to be done despite our heroics in the CT. I hope that victory doesn't stagnate the progress we must make to be a sustaining competitive team.

The best post I have ever read on this forum. Someone e mail this to PCB asap.

I have learnt so much from [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] posts. My favourite poster on this forum.

Only six months ago [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION], was saying that we will be playing the likes of Nepal and Scotland in a few years.

In past year we have been ranked #1 Test side in the world and are Champions Trophy winners

I think, I wrote that example with Nepal & Kenya (not Scotland, they are far better), about 3 years back, under certain context & future scenario - some of you guys kept dragging it till now, which is fine - because I still am not far away from that thought.

Winning CT indicates that the capability & skill is there, it was always there, it'll always be there as long as the youth of 200mn population base is passionate about the sports. But, that decline of ranking to 9th in ODI and 6th in Test, in an universe of 5, 6 may be at most 8 teams, indicates that something is horribly wrong there. The CT trophy that you are boasting now is just the top of ice berg, reality is PAK's hiding from the triangular against WI, to ensure it's qualification in this CT it self. Regarding the No. 1 rank in Test - I had that explanation as well, whoever you don't have the explanation of what happened just within 6 months of that No. 1 - my effort actually started from the last day of SCG Test :(

Anyway - one part of any skill or creativity is the natural talent, other part is nurturing it - my effort wasn't to tell why I think it'll end in Nepal, Kenya - rather why it shouldn't. It's your choice which way you want to drag it.

The best post I have ever read on this forum. Someone e mail this to PCB asap.

I have learnt so much from [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] posts. My favourite poster on this forum.

Thanks, it's just ideas that came in mind - you can write a book on it's elaboration with your passion.

Haha I could never write a book about this.

Writing a book is easy, trust me - making a 500 slide Presentation is easier. Tougher job is to do one slide - trust me, just the Index slide.

If you can accumulate your thoughts in 25 titles, you can elaborate it in 250 pages. In professional life, you'll notice that if you are given an hour for presentation time, your spirit goes high for the preparation - if I make it 10 minutes, you'll waste at least an hour to find where to start :)

PLEASE PCB study it and try to impliment it.haroon rashid and co will do nothing,,

Writing a book is easy, trust me - making a 500 slide Presentation is easier. Tougher job is to do one slide - trust me, just the Index slide.

If you can accumulate your thoughts in 25 titles, you can elaborate it in 250 pages. In professional life, you'll notice that if you are given an hour for presentation time, your spirit goes high for the preparation - if I make it 10 minutes, you'll waste at least an hour to find where to start :)

I don't have the knowledge to write a book on this topic bhai.

If a revamp of domestic cricket is done, one can only imagine the heights that Pakistan cricket can reach. Especially with the amount of talent in the country.

Haroon Rashid interview regarding up coming domestic season reforms. Duke balls, pitches, emerging players induction and a new t20 tournament for under 19 players among topics discussed. Exciting times ahead.

Domestic cricket reforms for the upcoming season

Keeping in view the existing format which includes eight departmental and eight regional teams in the FC setup, we have proposed meritocracy in selection through a player selection process since there were complaints that the regional teams were weak and hardly competed with the strong departmental teams.

Grade two players who are playing for departments or regions can be shortlisted by national selectors and each region's own players belonging to the region can be chosen based on the performances in the inter-district tournaments.

This system will enable a total of 320 top-ranked players to compete at the FC level.

Contracts for domestic players

The idea is to give the pool of 20 players in each team a one year contract that will enable the PCB to work closely with them, progress while the coaching staff can also work on improving their game and fitness throughout the year.

This example is followed by leading teams as well as our own departmental sides. This way we can produce a strong second string that can replace the national players in a state of readiness.

Opportunities for new talent

From now on we have proposed induction of U19 players in the FC system which wasn't the case until the last domestic season. We want to concentrate on the development of young players and we might even set a quota of U19 players in each team to ensure that the youngsters rub shoulders with the experienced lot which will help in developing their game.

Balls and pitches

We have earmarked 12 venues across the country where we will uplift facilities including the state of the pitches besides the dressing rooms. During our survey we figured out that the most of the pitches had lost their sting due to a lack of compaction.

The pitches had turned docile since the surfaces had extra clay content which makes the track lose bounce and bite especially the Karachi and Lahore pitches where the clay content was 14 and 11 inches respectively while the required clay content on the top of the pitch is around 6-7 inches. We want to ensure that we have standardised pitches across the 12 venues.

Similarly, there have been concerns about the balls used in domestic cricket and how they were making the bats break. For this season we have proposed Dukes balls that can also help us prepare for the upcoming Test matches especially the tour of England.

T20 event for U19 players

We will pick 75 U19 players from all across the country based on their performances at the junior level. The idea is to produce some young and exciting talents for the shortest format which can eventually graduate to serve the national team at the international level as well as the PSL.

New financial incentives

We are looking at giving out yearlong contracts to the players which will improve their financial situation while we will also keep an account of their fitness, the players would need to work hard on their game and fitness to ensure that they retain the contracts.

The players will get a salary in the range of Rs 100-125 thousand which should be enough for the player to sustain his expenses while concentrating on the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] u have been brilliant and i sometime take inspiration from u for other field of life...thank u for being here......

[MENTION=135389]juan[/MENTION]IDS [MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=133397]WebGuru[/MENTION] AND [MENTION=29064]shaz[/MENTION]19 are my favorite posters here..@tallentspotterpk cant be forgotten.

[MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION] and [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] ,,,,,,

No system is going to change. The people in charge prefer the status quo and the mini mafias they have established. They prefer the money what they get in their pockets. Nothing will change until a patriotic govt comes into power. We can discuss all day but these discussions will not be fruitful. Didn't Majid Khan release a proposal many years ago? What happen? Nothing.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION]

You are best poster in cricketing matters , no doubt !!! :14:

Truly a fantastic effort! The analytical skills of [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] are unparalleled when it comes to cricket.

[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] will these proposals be forward to the PCB ?

The disparity between first-class and List A records in Pakistan

The just concluded domestic One-Day cup was a run fest with many standout batting performances. It continued a curious trend in domestic cricket which I think is unique to Pakistan. Batsmen have a much easier time scoring runs in list-A (domestic one-day) games than they do in First Class cricket. Why is that and what does that mean when evaluating domestic stats?

The difference is ever more dramatic this year with very poor FC batting averages (partially blamed on unprepared pitches?) and stellar bowling averages. The One-Day cup on the other hand regularly yielded 300+ scores. As a result, a bunch of Pakistani batsmen have higher averages in List A than in FC including players one wouldn't expect to be particularly successful in the shorter format - Asad Shafiq, Shan Masood and Sami Aslam are prime examples with impressive List-A averages.

Do people that have watched some of these games have theories on why this is the case? Is it mainly that the white ball used doesn't really swing and the pitches are flatter with little help for spinners (say a typical Gaddafi Stadium track)? But why would the tracks be so different than what's used in FC?

Obviously this makes it even harder to evaluate domestic performances. For List A games - batting strike rates are more telling than averages (most top order players get runs look for the ones that get them faster) as are bowling economy rates (everyone is getting 300+ who can keep the runs down). Rumman is a good example of a bowler with a solid economy rate that has gone on to do well at the international level. This year Mohammed Irfan and Mir Hamza are the standout fast bowlers based on economy rate. Perhaps that should mean they are closer to selection for the national side? A bunch of spinners also did well. With the bat, Kamran, Umar Akmal and Sohaib stand out. The Akmals shouldn't be considered for different reasons while Sohaib probably wasn't tested against quality spin which remains his main weakness. It's therefore hard to draw any real conclusions from the batting performances.

In FC, I feel any batsman that can average 40+ deserves a go. There's very few that meet that bar in recent years. With the ball, again economy rates are telling. Everyone picks up wickets but the best bowlers seem to also keep the runs down (Abbas, Samiullah and Hasan Ali are some of the best domestic performers in recent years). Though this years performances are admittedly hard to interpret since the results were so lopsided in favor of the bowlers. Again Mir Hamza has done well on this measure and would probably be next in line for the test team.

Thoughts?

Great post. Then you can compare our domestic cricket to that of countries like in England/Australia and you see how much better the pitches etc are there.

Back