A proposed PCB NOC policy for T20 leagues

No offence, but Pakistan cricket is at such a low point, that I don't believe its cricketers raise the profiles of the leagues they participate in.

There are no superstars anymore in Pakistan cricket, and playing lousy leagues in the likes of Canada and UAE are part of the reason why.

The PCB needs to make a stand if they want their cricketers to become prized commodities again.

And about the PSL, well, it's a crap tournament and will continue to be as long as the overall economy doesn't pick up. A few WI/SL players missing won't make things worse than they already are.

Pakistani players are still a big draw in places like England. Plus we are a country of over 200 million cricket fans. I don't put too much stock into social media metrics but our players will generate a lot of likes retweets etc for the social media marketers of the respective leagues and franchises. The people that value that sort of stuff see the brand image of it.

The PCB is incapable of taking a proper stand. It's a fantasy that they act like India. We need to respect our position in cricket and we gain nothing by alienating friendly boards like WICB and SLCB in an attempt to massage our own egos.

Pakistan still benefits tremendously many years later from the goodwill created by players like Wasim and Waqar when they played cricket in England yet we are preventing our current generations of doing the same.

As per reports:

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is expected to restrict several key players from participating in upcoming franchise cricket tournaments by withholding No Objection Certificates (NOCs). This decision comes after Naseem Shah was denied an NOC for The Hundred.

Notable players like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Rizwan, and Babar Azam will miss the Global T20 League Canada due to workload management, as the PCB prioritizes resting its top players before a hectic national team schedule, starting with a Test series against Bangladesh on August 21.

This approach is part of a broader policy to manage player fatigue, particularly affecting regulars across all cricket formats, and is likely to continue into the 2024-2025 season, aligning with numerous T20 leagues. The current central contracts permit players to engage in two overseas leagues per year, barring international duty conflicts.​

Pakistani players are still a big draw in places like England. Plus we are a country of over 200 million cricket fans. I don't put too much stock into social media metrics but our players will generate a lot of likes retweets etc for the social media marketers of the respective leagues and franchises. The people that value that sort of stuff see the brand image of it.

The PCB is incapable of taking a proper stand. It's a fantasy that they act like India. We need to respect our position in cricket and we gain nothing by alienating friendly boards like WICB and SLCB in an attempt to massage our own egos.

Pakistan still benefits tremendously many years later from the goodwill created by players like Wasim and Waqar when they played cricket in England yet we are preventing our current generations of doing the same.
Let's agree to disagree on Pakistani players pulling power.

But I'm with you on the PCB cooperating with friendly boards. In fact, I think the PCB should throw their lot in with the SLC and the BCB to start off an Asian Premier League.

There isn't enough money or talent in any of these nations to support their own six-team leagues, but they could come together for a high-quality eight-team tournament.

PCB is to BCB and SLCB what BCCI is to PCB. It would be wise of Pakistan to convince them and launch an Asian T20 league and share the revenue. LPL and BPL are anyways going nowhere. PSL+BPL+LPL together can definitely challenge IPL in terms of revenue and viewership.

Notable players like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Rizwan, and Babar Azam will miss the Global T20 League Canada due to workload management, as the PCB prioritizes resting its top players before a hectic national team schedule, starting with a Test series against Bangladesh on August 21.
Khich ke Rakh Naqvi

If I were chairman, I would simply deny their NOC seeking to play a pathetic league like Canada GT. Play proper cricket! You should be looking for NOC’s in MLC and ILT20.

I think the advent of T20 leagues has given players a big comfort zone. They no longer fear being dropped from the national side or the test squad. Hence they have lost the desire to keep their skills up to date.
Also way too much criticism and scrutiny also pushes many cricketers especially average ones towards T20 leagues. Players earn more money and commitments are short term. To be honest, if I was cricketer I don't think international cricket would be my first priority.

Players shouldn't trust the PCB and do the best for their families. In their position I would reject the central contract and play franchise cricket and if the national team needs me, they can select me.

Players shouldn't trust the PCB and do the best for their families. In their position I would reject the central contract and play franchise cricket and if the national team needs me, they can select me.
That was the WI approach and you can see how it's working out for them.

PCB needs to figure out how their best players can make top dollar without burning themselves out playing useless leagues.

Until that happens, Pakistan cricket's demise will only get closer and closer.

Then just abandon Pak cricket team if this is the mindset.

Then just abandon Pak cricket team if this is the mindset.
Will they? Then Why not pay them properly? We can pay Wahab and these poor Foreign coaches that never have and never will make a difference an absolute fortune. Why not make our players, both international and local what they deserve.

That is what most of the new zealnd players are doing but mutual consent is neccessary between the board and the players.

That is what most of the new zealnd players are doing but mutual consent is neccessary between the board and the players.
Players need security, not threats. Who on their right mind would trust the PCB to look after them and their families. If they do play abroad and have come through the domestic system, they should pay 20% to a centralised fund for medical benefits and pensions.

Players need security, not threats. Who on their right mind would trust the PCB to look after them and their families. If they do play abroad and have come through the domestic system, they should pay 20% to a centralised fund for medical benefits and pensions.
no need to pay them 20% either because they won't be a part of the central contract. Just play the game and get the match fees. Simple as that!

Will they? Then Why not pay them properly? We can pay Wahab and these poor Foreign coaches that never have and never will make a difference an absolute fortune. Why not make our players, both international and local what they deserve.
Int players representing Pak earn lots and lots of money for Pak standards. Have some pride and dignity is not a lot to ask for. The players are lazy and do not care one bit to actually improve.

Int players representing Pak earn lots and lots of money for Pak standards. Have some pride and dignity is not a lot to ask for. The players are lazy and do not care one bit to actually improve.
For PK standards but they live in the international market and they want comparative salaries. When they see players of similar abilities earn 3 times as much, they forget about playing for PK and think purely financially. Don't we don't the same?

For PK standards but they live in the international market and they want comparative salaries. When they see players of similar abilities earn 3 times as much, they forget about playing for PK and think purely financially. Don't we don't the same?
They need to perform 1st, before even thinking of demanding anything. Without PK cricket they are nothing. I am sure players from Zimbabwe, USA and Afghanistan etc make lesser money, but actually take pride in playing for their nation.

They need to perform 1st, before even thinking of demanding anything. Without PK cricket they are nothing. I am sure players from Zimbabwe, USA and Afghanistan etc make lesser money, but actually take pride in playing for their nation.
if they are being offered these salaries theres a reason, if they dont want PCB contracts, performing for Pakistan is irrelevant. you also are not accounting for how much of a screw up organisation PCB is, the players dont trust them with personal development, injury management, career progression, or anything.

are the pak players the best in the world, nope, long way off it, but they are still excellent league level players and they will play everywhere and make as much money as they can cos relying on the PCB is career suicide.

PCB can still refuse Nocs to players even if not centrally contracted. The players have to serve a cooling period for a few years. If the players blackmail the PCB and refuse central contracts out of protest at demotions, cut in wages and other issues, the PCB in return can refuse to issue the Nocs.

PCB can still refuse Nocs to players even if not centrally contracted. The players have to serve a cooling period for a few years. If the players blackmail the PCB and refuse central contracts out of protest at demotions, cut in wages and other issues, the PCB in return can refuse to issue the Nocs.
Maybe that's true in PK, but here in the UK it's restraint of trade and it's illegal. I bet that if the players challenged it in PK, it would also be the same

The players need to do the best and their families. Careers are short and they aren't owned, if the board was trusted it wouldn't come to that

The players need to do the best and their families. Careers are short and they aren't owned, if the board was trusted it wouldn't come to that

If the players would actually perform they would not worry about the money. In fact the core of Pak team for the last 4 to 5 years is the same, with guys keep getting central contracts and keep getting selected even when not performing/losing vs minnows.

If the players would actually perform they would not worry about the money. In fact the core of Pak team for the last 4 to 5 years is the same, with guys keep getting central contracts and keep getting selected even when not performing/losing vs minnows.
But bro, these players can hold PCB to ransom because the board isn’t trustworthy (i.e it’s not from the political party I support) 🤡

We say that but it's human nature to worry about money. Look at how billionaires bleat about increased taxes. This isn't just a PK trait, it's human nature

We say that but it's human nature to worry about money. Look at how billionaires bleat about increased taxes. This isn't just a PK trait, it's human nature
We differ here about opinion. Where I feel once you reach the national team of Pakistan all you should care about is winning and making your country proud, once you do that the money will flow.

With the current bunch its all about cheap T20 cricket and 0 work ethic. There is a reason we have become a joke. PCB is actually helping these players with 0 accountability over the non performance and allowing them to play just days after a horror show at the WC.

PCB should definately be strick on NOC's as far as our bowlers are concerned but at the same time should compensate them for the loss in earnings. Look at how many boards refused NOC's for players who had signed for the PSL and this included Sri Lankan, West Indies, South African players and therefore the PCB needs to follow *** for tat.

PCB should definately be strick on NOC's as far as our bowlers are concerned but at the same time should compensate them for the loss in earnings. Look at how many boards refused NOC's for players who had signed for the PSL and this included Sri Lankan, West Indies, South African players and therefore the PCB needs to follow *** for tat.
Do you think its normal for players like Shadab and Rauf to be playing T20 cricket after the embarrassment during the WC?
Should these guys not actually work on their game and improve.

What surgery? Rizwan is in Canada. How can he travel without NOC? Why has Naseem not been given his NOC but Rizwan can do whatever he wants?

Of course it’s not a visa now because you like Rizwan.

What exactly are you trying to say?

There is no official news of a NOC

He is not on an Exit Control List so free to travel if has a visa.

If he plays in Canada without a NOC then do comeback here and talk about it

I don't understand our obsession with stopping people with things because we can? What is wrong in playing these league and getting some money? PCB is the only board in the whole world that does this? Do the boards of bigger nations like Australia/England/S.A/New Zealand do this? Do the board of smaller nations like Sri Lanka/West indies/Bangladesh do this? Why do we then?

Our players already are amongst the lowest paid.
Our players are already unable to compete in the higher paying leagues like IPL,ILT20,SAT20.

Just let them play and focus on them when they are on international commitments like the entire world does. We already have no friends in the cricketing world. Lets try to ruin the 1-2 left by these antics.

IPL,ILT20,SAT20.
They can’t play IPL and SAT20 for now

They can definitely play ILT20, and nothing is stopping them from playing MLC, Hundred, Big Bash and CPL

It’s another thing they are not good enough to get selected for these comps, and therefore look for the easy way out in leagues such as Bangla Premier League, Sri Lanka League and Canada Global T20

If I were Naqvi, I would simply tell them NOCs will only be issued for leagues in which the world’s best players are participating, and your runs/wickets, economy and strike rate will be key in these comps for national selection.

I would simply refuse any Cat A/B player’s request to play a league like Canada GT! I would rip up the NOC request in front of the player, tear it into pieces and then swallow it in front of them to make a point!

I don't understand our obsession with stopping people with things because we can? What is wrong in playing these league and getting some money? PCB is the only board in the whole world that does this? Do the boards of bigger nations like Australia/England/S.A/New Zealand do this? Do the board of smaller nations like Sri Lanka/West indies/Bangladesh do this? Why do we then?
We send mixed messages.

Stop players then eventually allow players back into the national team who decide to retire to play leagues.

Sometimes give players NOC and sometimes not.

Ultimately we are desperate for the world to play our league but reluctant to allow our players to play elsewhere.

I wish there was a policy of a centrally contracted cricketer (of any country) has option to play only 1 T20 league. I am fan of Nicolas Pooran and Lockie Fergusan. Its difficult to follow their career when they play for a new team every month. Imagine Messi playing with 5 clubs each year. It would be so frustrating for us fans.

They can’t play IPL and SAT20 for now

They can definitely play ILT20, and nothing is stopping them from playing MLC, Hundred, Big Bash and CPL

It’s another thing they are not good enough to get selected for these comps, and therefore look for the easy way out in leagues such as Bangla Premier League, Sri Lanka League and Canada Global T20

If I were Naqvi, I would simply tell them NOCs will only be issued for leagues in which the world’s best players are participating, and your runs/wickets, economy and strike rate will be key in these comps for national selection.

I would simply refuse any Cat A/B player’s request to play a league like Canada GT! I would rip up the NOC request in front of the player, tear it into pieces and then swallow it in front of them to make a point!
They can only play for 1 out of the 6 teams in ILT20...hardly an opportunity.

They are playing in Big Bash, They are playing in CPL and they are playing the MLC. This post is about the team in general, not Rizwan and Babar!!

Again the reason they are playing in the Global t20 and LPL is because they cant play the top leagues like every other nation. Give them that opportunity and they wont play these leagues.

They can only play for 1 out of the 6 teams in ILT20...hardly an opportunity.

They are playing in Big Bash, They are playing in CPL and they are playing the MLC. This post is about the team in general, not Rizwan and Babar!!

Again the reason they are playing in the Global t20 and LPL is because they cant play the top leagues like every other nation. Give them that opportunity and they wont play these leagues.
Why are your top stars (Cat A) besides Shaheen not playing the best leagues?

Other boards do when it comes to the PSL. It's time for a *** for tat approach

Ahmed Shehzad, during a program on a local sports channel, criticized the PCB's NOC process:

"In Pakistan cricket, the process of giving NOCs for playing in other leagues has never been smooth. There is favoritism within the PCB. Like-minded players are given NOCs, and when they want to unnecessarily trouble someone, they hold back that player's NOC. Now tell me, why did you give an NOC to Shadab Khan? He had the worst performance, and as soon as he returned from the ICC T20 World Cup 2024, you gave him an NOC. Is it because his people or friends are decision-makers in the PCB, so he got the NOC? And why are you holding back others' NOCs?

You cannot stop people from playing in leagues. Instead of stopping people from playing in leagues, you should correct your own direction.

Leagues invite those who regularly play in the Pakistan cricket team. If you have a personal issue with someone, fix Pakistan cricket, sort out the team, and give youngsters a chance. This is a simple criterion. There is no Chris Gayle sitting in our team for whom the leagues are going crazy.

The problem is that leagues need to run, and every country has its own fan following. Leagues offer to those who are playing in the national sides.

And some agents are so strong that they control entire teams and keep their own boys. We have seen this again this time."

Fakhar zaman is coming back to pakistan to play domestic one day cup and he left CPL for this.

What is the point of this NOC drama and sending him for just 2 games first of all.

Around 80 Pakistani Cricketer signed up for the BBL draft, only one got picked. Sign of things to come.

Decline in demand for Pakistani cricketers in T20 leagues due to PCB's NOC policy

Due to the uncertainty surrounding the NOC (No Objection Certificate) policy issued by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), the demand for Pakistani cricketers in T20 leagues is dwindling, Geo News reported on Wednesday.

This issue of NOCs for national players sparks debate each season, primarily due to the lack of clarity.

A recent example of this uncertainty has come to light during the draft of Australia's Big Bash League (BBL). As per sources, because of the unclear situation, the BBL management has pulled back from considering Pakistani cricketers.

The BBL teams were initially keen on signing players from Pakistan and had sought clarity regarding their availability. However, the Pakistani cricketers were unable to provide definite answers about their NOCs, leaving the BBL teams uncertain about the player's availability for the entire tournament or specific matches.

As a result, only Usama Mir was selected in the draft, while well-known players like Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah, Zaman Khan, and Fakhar Zaman, along with 69 other nominated cricketers, were left out.

Rauf was approached by two teams but wasn't selected due to the lack of clarity regarding his availability, despite having already participated in two leagues.

In the event of non-selection, Rauf was seeking special permission to play in a third league.

Rauf has not been considered for the upcoming series against Bangladesh, and there is no clear indication if he is part of the plans for the series against England. He remains eager to play both white-ball and red-ball cricket.

SOURCE: https://www.geosuper.tv/latest/3890...cketers-in-t20-leagues-due-to-pcbs-noc-policy

Back