Aamer Jamal versus Shardul Thakur: Assessing the better All-Rounder

ataullah

First Class Captain
Runs
Which all rounder is better? Jamal has impressed in the few tests he's played. Hes still work in progress but Shardul is fully developed. This comparison is better than the previous india and pak comparisons like babar vs kohli and umar akmal vs kohli 😍

Interested to see comments from Mamoon although i know who his preference will be.

Thakur just seems like a completely nothing player. In fact, Hardik getting injured resulting in Thakur being dropped from India’s ODI team probably helped India’s team combination.

I don’t know why they persist with Thakur? Surely India has better fast bowling all rounders around. He only averages 19 in Test anyway, surely India would be better off with Mohammad Shami’s bowling?

Jamal should be a keeper for Pak. Was pretty impressed by his attitude and work ethic. Pak should draft him for ODIs and T20s and not just test cricket which is not financially that much profitable.He's got a great work ethic. Thakur OTOH is pretty much useless. An AR just in name. No comparison really. If I was Jamal I would be offended being compared to a AR like Thakur. Jamal and Mir Hamza have been the finds of the tour for Pak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamal is awful. Dont know about Shardul.

If you cant bowl consistency with one line and length in international cricket, tht means you are not good as a bowler.

One fluke bowling performance and now the comparisons are coming in.

A guy who cant bowl consistently with a proper line and length doesnt last long that too in test cricket.

Dont know about Thakur and only indians can give a fair assessment on him. But AJ is nothing special as a bowler.

I did like how he batted, but still a long way to go

Thakur is an average bowler and a below average batsman. He is a bits and pieces player who is a poor man's Pandya.

India somehow does not want to give chances to Venkatesh Iyer or Shivam Dube. Both are comfortably better batsman than Shardul. Their bowling is slightly inferior to Shardul. But then, Shardul is just a filler to give rest to main bowlers. Someone who can bowl like 8-10 overs a day in Tests. Something both Dubey and Venkatesh could do.

Jamal is obviously a better bowler than Shardul. But I rate Shardul's batting more than Jamal. Shardul Thakur is no yardstick for excellence.

Thakur gets a lot of unnecessary flak but he has performed admirably in test cricket. If he was Pakistani he would play every test.

Jamal is awful. Dont know about Shardul.

If you cant bowl consistency with one line and length in international cricket, tht means you are not good as a bowler.
That's why I said he's work in progress. Sadly in Pakistan they only work on adjustments after they make international debuts. Khurram has faults as well as jamal.

I'm not convinced by Jamal just yet. Already 27 and can't stick to a proper consistent line and length, his pace isn't great either.

Jamal has the makings of a good 9. His bowling action will only improve with lots of work,which we know ain't happening unless he has some desperation we don't see from PK players

Shardul in Tests has been very good replacement for Ashwin in SENA conditions. His record speaks for itself and he has been impactful for India.

In white ball cricket, he is an awful bowler though.

Shardul in Tests has been very good replacement for Ashwin in SENA conditions. His record speaks for itself and he has been impactful for India.

In white ball cricket, he is an awful bowler though.
He's horrible in tests as well. He's just living off that aus series. Has been poor in all series after that.

Shardul has already played a lot of international games and he is much better in terms of batting than Jamal. It is still too early for this comparison though.

He's horrible in tests as well. He's just living off that aus series. Has been poor in all series after that.

He took a 6-fer last time in South Africa and has notable performance in England too.

I haven't seen Jamal playing, I don't even know how he looks like, I haven't even seen his stats but I can confidently say he is better than Thakur.

Thakur is a very good cricketer. He performs best in pressure situations. Have seen him perform well with the bat quite a few times and he also seems to have a golden arm with the ball.

Jamal has magic balls in him, but has very little control over his action. No doubt he will learn but on flat tracks he will be a very expensive luxury.

We have seen enough of Thakur to know he's a relu katta who sometimes has a knack for picking up big wickets. Maybe a player like that can work in home conditions but hes not worth a spot in the away team.

Jamal is still very new, a player should be given a few series so his potential can be assessed properly

Let us not forget Thakur was never at once in his career considered a Test match bowler until he got the chance by quirk of fate. Indian players were falling to injuries. All they had was T20 squad members like Thakur, Natrajan, Sundar none of them never had a shot as a Test players until then. Thakur surprised everyone with a 7 wicket haul and a game changing partnership with Sundar in the first innings. He repeated the same at the Oval which was won by India again. As a 2nd change bowler he was proving to be good. He was originally a t20 player first. Current form is inconsistent.

Why are the Pakistani players in these comparison threads always the better looking ones?

I am not getting into comparison. The Pakistani player may well be better than Thakur. Lekin hamari hindi me ek word use hoti hai- 'jigra'! Whenever India has been in a precarious position, Thakur has always showed up. He is very limited in talent. He is not the best batsman, not the quickest of bowlers. Yet, he gives his 1000%. Even while bowling, he stretches his limit and touches 140ish.
I dont mind a player failing, but a player who is not afraid of the opposition and stands tall in front of a dangerous opposition will always have my respect.

Wrong comparison. It should be Aamer Jamal Vs Ian Botham Vs Ben Stokes

Jamal need to win a test match in Australia first to compare with Thakur .
Thakur contribution was priceless at Gabba win with both bat and Bowl
Aamer is limited by the team he plays in, Thakur isn’t.

Why do we have to compare our players with Indian players before they even start their career and put them under pressure

Just after 1 series your already expecting so much from ammar jamal

This thread should be deleted

Thakur is type of an allrounder which gets into sl, ban like teams.. He isn't any great to compare with.

Amir Jamał IF actually improves this year should be compared with Stokes and Shakib he is an elite level player mentally
With one performance, if you start comparing with stokes, it doesnt end well. And this the problem with PK fans. Hyping up to moon based on few performances.

I liked his bowling. Batting technique is more of a tailender than a proper batsmen.

Utility of Aamir jamal as a both batter and bowler is way better than Shardul Thakur.

We can better compare lord Fahim Ashraf with Thakur as both are playing on certain parchis without any performance.

Utility of Aamir jamal as a both batter and bowler is way better than Shardul Thakur.

We can better compare lord Fahim Ashraf with Thakur as both are playing on certain parchis without any performance.
Totally agree. No comparison with Jamal and Thakur- Jamal is miles ahead. His attitude and work ethic was terrific in Aus.

Faheem vs Thakur is an apt comparison though. Both trundlers, so called ARs in name- not good at their specialty which is bowling. Bits and pieces players to the core ..

Totally agree. No comparison with Jamal and Thakur- Jamal is miles ahead. His attitude and work ethic was terrific in Aus.

Faheem vs Thakur is an apt comparison though. Both trundlers, so called ARs in name- not good at their specialty which is bowling. Bits and pieces players to the core ..
Agreed. Another thing is Jamal has just started his career. How can he be compared with a guy who has been playing for years now. Faheem wold be the ultimate choice to be compared with him and I am sure, Thakur will win that comparison.

Thakur is a bits and pieces player , not an allrounder , even in IPL he is no longer useful because of the Impact player rule.

Jamal needs to shown the performance he did against Australia over multiple series

Having seen Aamir Jamal perform well in the PSL and Australia with both bat and ball he has the potential of being a world class allrounder with some refinements.

I don't know who the indian player is so have no comment to make.

Stokes should be the benchmark for players of this era.

Will have an inferior career to Shardul Thakur and he already looks too old to have too much of a career anyway .

But Aamer Jamal will always be more talented , aesthetically pleasing cricketer .

Aamer has started off as promising, but wait and see, and the pcb will destroy whatever confidence he has :ROFLMAO:

With one performance, if you start comparing with stokes, it doesnt end well. And this the problem with PK fans. Hyping up to moon based on few performances.

I liked his bowling. Batting technique is more of a tailender than a proper batsmen.
The bro stated IF he improves this year rather than he is.

I think the Pakistani supporters are encouraged by his attitude, aggression and mentality but he definitely needs refining.

If he had a tail enders technique he wouldn't last against the likes of cummings, Starc and Hazelwood so your doing him a disservice.

He looked faster and more threatening than Shaheen in Australia and can bat. Why isn’t this guy getting hype? 2 5frs and a half century in Australia doesn’t get attention?

For me, Aamer Jamal is a better batter and Shardul Thakur can povide more variety with the ball, especially in limited-overs cricket.

Back