Abandoning God: Christianity plummets in Australia as ‘non-religious’ surges in census

hoshiarpurexpress

First Class Captain
Runs
Australia has become strikingly more godless over the past decade, with the latest census data showing the proportion of self-identified Christians dropping below 50 per cent for the first time and a soaring number of people describing themselves as “non-religious”.

The first tranche of data from the 2021 census, released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday, shows that just 44 per cent of Australians now identify as Christian, down from 52 per cent five years earlier and 61 per cent in 2011.

When the first census was conducted in 1911, 96 per cent of Australians listed a form of Christianity as their religion.

The proportion of Australians identifying as Catholic declined from 23 to 20 per cent over the past five years while self-identified Anglicans dropped from 13 to 10 per cent.

By contrast, the share of Australians identifying as “non-religious” has surged.

Thirty-nine per cent of Australians now identify as non-religious, up from 30 per cent in 2016 and almost double the 22 per cent of Australians who ticked the “no religion” box a decade ago.

In the mid-1960s, less than 1 per cent of people in Australia identified as having no religion.

Based on current trends, non-believers could overtake Christians as the biggest religious bloc in Australia by the time the next census is conducted in 2026.

The move away from Christianity accelerated rapidly over the past decade after previously being in a steady long-term decline.

Sydney student Alexandra Wright, 24, exemplifies the national drift away from Christianity.

As a child growing up in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, Wright was raised in a devout Irish Catholic family whose members attended church every Sunday.

Wright felt so connected to her faith that she insisted on attending a Catholic high school, St Vincent’s College in Potts Point.

By age 15, however, she began to have an “inkling” that religion was no longer for her; a few years later she no longer identified as Catholic.

When filling out last year’s census, she chose “no religion” without hesitation.

Wright said religion undoubtedly had a “beautiful” side, as seen in the comfort her grandfather drew from the promise of an afterlife before he died. But she had seen a more negative side too

“There is the corruption in the church, the power-tripping of priests,” she said.

Wright said her siblings and many friends had moved away from religion as they grew up.

“It’s this generation,” she said. “We all grew up with religion but when you start living your life you realise you don’t identify with it.”

The Church’s socially conservative teachings on same-sex marriage and sex before wedlock seem outdated to most young people today, she said.

The census results show that some non-Christian religions are growing in strength - even as they continue to make up a small share of the national population.

The number of people who identified as Hindu in the census surged by 55 per cent over the past five years, reflecting an influx of migrants from countries such as India and Nepal.

Around 684,000 people in Australia, or 2.7 per cent of the population, identify with Hinduism.

Islam’s share of the national population has grown to 3.2 per cent, up from 2.6 per cent in 2016. Around 813,000 people in Australia identify with Islam.

Despite being voluntary, the proportion of people answering the question rose from 91 per cent in 2016 to 93 per cent in 2021.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/aba...ligious-surges-in-census-20220627-p5awvz.html

Christianity is declining. However, Islam is rising (alhamdulillah).

Being Godless is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Modern people see no value in religion - they want happiness, not God.

I'm not surprised. Modern people see no value in religion - they want happiness, not God.

God is the ultimate source of happiness.

No wonder why a lot of modern people are more depressed and stressed out (compared to previous generations).

Hilarious.

Religion plays a fundamental role in 5-EYE politics.

We all witnessed what SCOTUS achieved last week; and if Aussies do not believe in a God, then stop getting married with God as a witness. Stop giving charity in God's names. Go change your religious names from James to Tesla.

Here is the liberal view:

Liberal people want happiness, this stems from materialism, aka - MONEY!

Spiritual people have happiness, this stems from a peace of mind, the faith in GOD!

Makes sense why modern people are so depressed and anxious these days.

The pandemic / lockdowns have a lot to do with that.

Also social media alienation.

Big Pharma does very well from this separation.

It’s important to connect with people through social activities, or playing music, or the giant rave parties of a few years back, or Glastonbury; and with nature too - some of us are blessed with moors close by to walk on alone.

Others seek truth with alternative spiritual forms such as Western Buddhism and neopagan practices. Or even astrophysics, which fills me with profound wonder and awe.

Last edited:
God is the ultimate source of happiness.

No wonder why a lot of modern people are more depressed and stressed out (compared to previous generations).

God is not the problem as long as it remains between 4 walls. Once it is out in public, it leads to division and ultimately violence.

Education forces you to question. When you put religion in spotlight, you get no answers . All we hear is crickets.

God is not the problem as long as it remains between 4 walls. Once it is out in public, it leads to division and ultimately violence.

Education forces you to question. When you put religion in spotlight, you get no answers . All we hear is crickets.

Many educated people believe in God. Education doesn't have any relation to faith.

If anything, lack of education and lack of critical thinking may result in rejection of God.

Religion has caused more problems in society than any good. You dont need any religion to tell you to be a good human being or lead a peaceful life- man has enough intelligence to know what is good & what is bad. It has just become a tool these days to inflame divisions within the society.

Well Australia is way more peaceful than South Asia so well done.

Many educated people believe in God. Education doesn't have any relation to faith.

If anything, lack of education and lack of critical thinking may result in rejection of God.

South Asia except is full of religion why not move back and be in bliss?

South Asia except is full of religion why not move back and be in bliss?

Why South Asia? Why not Middle East?

South Asia is problematic. Too many Super-Sufis and leftists.

Jokes aside, I am happy with where I am. But, I want Canada to become more conservative like good old days.

Last edited:
Why South Asia? Why not Middle East?

South Asia is problematic. Too many Super-Sufis and leftists.

Jokes aside, I am happy with where I am. But, I want Canada to become more conservative like good old days.

Conservative Canada will also mean less tolerance of other religions/immigrants. Be careful what you wish for!

Australia has become strikingly more godless over the past decade, with the latest census data showing the proportion of self-identified Christians dropping below 50 per cent for the first time and a soaring number of people describing themselves as “non-religious”.

The first tranche of data from the 2021 census, released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Tuesday, shows that just 44 per cent of Australians now identify as Christian, down from 52 per cent five years earlier and 61 per cent in 2011.

When the first census was conducted in 1911, 96 per cent of Australians listed a form of Christianity as their religion.

The proportion of Australians identifying as Catholic declined from 23 to 20 per cent over the past five years while self-identified Anglicans dropped from 13 to 10 per cent.

By contrast, the share of Australians identifying as “non-religious” has surged.

Thirty-nine per cent of Australians now identify as non-religious, up from 30 per cent in 2016 and almost double the 22 per cent of Australians who ticked the “no religion” box a decade ago.

In the mid-1960s, less than 1 per cent of people in Australia identified as having no religion.

Based on current trends, non-believers could overtake Christians as the biggest religious bloc in Australia by the time the next census is conducted in 2026.

The move away from Christianity accelerated rapidly over the past decade after previously being in a steady long-term decline.

Sydney student Alexandra Wright, 24, exemplifies the national drift away from Christianity.

As a child growing up in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, Wright was raised in a devout Irish Catholic family whose members attended church every Sunday.

Wright felt so connected to her faith that she insisted on attending a Catholic high school, St Vincent’s College in Potts Point.

By age 15, however, she began to have an “inkling” that religion was no longer for her; a few years later she no longer identified as Catholic.

When filling out last year’s census, she chose “no religion” without hesitation.

Wright said religion undoubtedly had a “beautiful” side, as seen in the comfort her grandfather drew from the promise of an afterlife before he died. But she had seen a more negative side too

“There is the corruption in the church, the power-tripping of priests,” she said.

Wright said her siblings and many friends had moved away from religion as they grew up.

“It’s this generation,” she said. “We all grew up with religion but when you start living your life you realise you don’t identify with it.”

The Church’s socially conservative teachings on same-sex marriage and sex before wedlock seem outdated to most young people today, she said.

The census results show that some non-Christian religions are growing in strength - even as they continue to make up a small share of the national population.

The number of people who identified as Hindu in the census surged by 55 per cent over the past five years, reflecting an influx of migrants from countries such as India and Nepal.

Around 684,000 people in Australia, or 2.7 per cent of the population, identify with Hinduism.

Islam’s share of the national population has grown to 3.2 per cent, up from 2.6 per cent in 2016. Around 813,000 people in Australia identify with Islam.

Despite being voluntary, the proportion of people answering the question rose from 91 per cent in 2016 to 93 per cent in 2021.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/aba...ligious-surges-in-census-20220627-p5awvz.html

It would've taken the same route in India but current extremist Hindu regime govt and it's goons are holding it off for now.

https://religionnews.com/2022/05/17/in-india-hindu-nationalists-embolden-challenges-to-atheism/

The rise of Reason / Enlightenment was a mortal blow to the Church in Europe.

Then church attendance collapsed in the ‘sixties and now only about 4% of the population bother to attend.

Then church attendance collapsed in the ‘sixties and now only about 4% of the population bother to attend.

Despite the teachings of Christianity, established congregants are sometimes not welcoming to new entrants. They are typically very old, conservative, stuffy, judgmental, and irritable. Myself and my family (two young children) experienced this when we tried to find somewhere to host a christening. Congregants clearly did not like the extra noise and how my daughter kept pulling off my face mask to make herself giggle. We just gave up in the end.

Despite the teachings of Christianity, established congregants are sometimes not welcoming to new entrants. They are typically very old, conservative, stuffy, judgmental, and irritable. Myself and my family (two young children) experienced this when we tried to find somewhere to host a christening. Congregants clearly did not like the extra noise and how my daughter kept pulling off my face mask to make herself giggle. We just gave up in the end.

That’s very sad to read.

Christianity in the west died a long time back. Things is most people don't realize that an orhodox Christian is a person who believes for Christ to be the literal son of God and all that comes with it. Most westerners don't believe in that at all yet are counted as Christians. Despite the Bible belt of America spending billion's of dollars every year on evangelical and missionary activity it's not doing much good.

Christianity in the west died a long time back. Things is most people don't realize that an orhodox Christian is a person who believes for Christ to be the literal son of God and all that comes with it. Most westerners don't believe in that at all yet are counted as Christians. Despite the Bible belt of America spending billion's of dollars every year on evangelical and missionary activity it's not doing much good.

True. But the Bible belt still wields a disproportionate power on the American politics.

Religion is a way of living. You take out direction from your life, it renders it hollow.

Millions of religious people are satisfied, happy and prosperous (if that's what's ones reason is to remove it).

If it rendered you miserable, maybe it had to do with what you were following(not specifying a singular religion) and how you were doing it.

Without set boundaries and order, everything turns into chaos.

What seems right isn't always right which is why it(religion) serves as guidance. Reason and logic end at a certain level.

Religion is a way of living. You take out direction from your life, it renders it hollow.

Millions of religious people are satisfied, happy and prosperous (if that's what's ones reason is to remove it).

If it rendered you miserable, maybe it had to do with what you were following(not specifying a singular religion) and how you were doing it.

What seems right isn't always right which is why it(religion) serves as guidance. Reason and logic end at a certain level.

It’s not the right way for most people in the West and Antipodes any more.

We don’t need to follow old scriptures - which are at odds with the empirical truth revealed by science - to give our lives meaning and direction. We can find our own path.

Secular societies codify their own boundaries and order, based on evidence of what protects people and allows them to grow and develop.

Last edited:
It’s not the right way for most people in the West and Antipodes any more.

We don’t need to follow old scriptures - which are at odds with the empirical truth revealed by science - to give our lives meaning and direction. We can find our own path.

Secular societies codify their own boundaries and order, based on evidence of what protects people and allows them to grow and develop.

I respectfully disagree about it. As much as religion always comes up in negative light these days, it is still better than what men (especially the ones at the top governing the societies) do. It is man that twists and turns all the messages so as to turn everything in his favor.

The order and boundaries without religion are actually just as dangerous as those that are bridled by misinterpreting the religion.

Not everyone's intellect and emotional development is equal. When that variable is present in a large society of millions or billions, it's a recipe for disaster.

IMO interpreting the religion the right way is still the most essential part of living and thriving.

I respectfully disagree about it. As much as religion always comes up in negative light these days, it is still better than what men (especially the ones at the top governing the societies) do. It is man that twists and turns all the messages so as to turn everything in his favor.

The order and boundaries without religion are actually just as dangerous as those that are bridled by misinterpreting the religion.

Not everyone's intellect and emotional development is equal. When that variable is present in a large society of millions or billions, it's a recipe for disaster.

IMO interpreting the religion the right way is still the most essential part of living and thriving.

lol from religion giving you direction, you've moved to its interpretation being the key.

Unless you are a priest or maulvi, not sure what direction religion is pointing you towards. If someone needs religion to give them a sense of morality, that is their failing.

And looking at the calm focus on that killer-of-the-tailor's face in his pre-murder video, made 10 days earlier, not sure that is a great direction for a religious person to be going in :))

Oh, but it's about interpretation right...

All I want to say is, if religion works for you and you are able to live a lawful life, good for you. But saying that the lack of religion could break down boundaries and order is just wrong. That's called the law and the police. If you said that man needs law and force to keep his baser instincts in check, I would agree. You don't need a God to enforce law though.

This sounds more like tribal or classist behavior than something to do with them not being welcoming about their religion.

Hmm, rejecting religion totally was a big component of my living and thriving and becoming a happier person. I was like a round peg hammered into a square hole.

Europe is effectively post-Christian now and yet the most just, kind and free society in its history.

Excellent news. Sign of a morally and socially developing society.

Hmm, rejecting religion totally was a big component of my living and thriving and becoming a happier person. I was like a round peg hammered into a square hole.

Europe is effectively post-Christian now and yet the most just, kind and free society in its history.

What was it about, presumably, Christianity, holding you back?.

Being Godless is a recipe for disaster.

China is officially an atheist state and they are doing lot better than many religious countries.

Majority of South Koreans has no religious affiliation and they are doing lot better than many religious countries.

In Japan no single religion is particularly dominant, and people often follow a combination of practices from multiple religious traditions

Least Religious Countries (by percentage) - Pew Research 2020

Czech Republic - 78.4%
Estonia - 60.2%
Japan - 60%
Hong Kong (China) - 54.7%
China - 51.8%
South Korea - 46.6%
Latvia - 45.3%
Netherlands - 44.3%
Uruguay - 41.5%

These countries are doing much better than many religious countries.

China is officially an atheist state and they are doing lot better than many religious countries.

Majority of South Koreans has no religious affiliation and they are doing lot better than many religious countries.

In Japan no single religion is particularly dominant, and people often follow a combination of practices from multiple religious traditions

Least Religious Countries (by percentage) - Pew Research 2020

Czech Republic - 78.4%
Estonia - 60.2%
Japan - 60%
Hong Kong (China) - 54.7%
China - 51.8%
South Korea - 46.6%
Latvia - 45.3%
Netherlands - 44.3%
Uruguay - 41.5%

These countries are doing much better than many religious countries.

Better in what sense? In terms of materialism and wealth? That's perhaps true but that's not everything.

People in Godless countries tend to be more suicidal and depressed. For example, Japan. Check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan.

Better in what sense? In terms of materialism and wealth? That's perhaps true but that's not everything.

People in Godless countries tend to be more suicidal and depressed. For example, Japan. Check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan.
It would have been good if you went through the happiness index too once😂

I too believe in god. But my own beliefs and moral construct comes before everything.

The more people are dogmatic about centuries-old religion texts that has less relevance to current society, the more issues arise.

One thing has been proven with time is Adaptability is the key to survival. If people dont adapt, them that will be the end.

I can quote many wrong things in Hindu religious texts which I disagree. Same way, you cant bring Islam or Christianity or God into how society runs.
I mean there is no proof of afterlife, so why worry about it. Instead of making the current life a bit better.

We all face difficult situations in our lives. It shapes our lives differently. I don't know what you went through but I am happy that you were able to overcome it. I respect your opinion but don't necessarily agree with it. I still believe that correctly interpreting and integrating the core messages of religion is the safest and most productive thing. It might be difficult to fully act on it (we are all human and imperfect and prone to error) but it helps in the longer run. There has been stuff that I have done which has turned out to be fruitful for me in the longer run and in hindsight I can see how stuff I did in the past helped me in the longer run.

lol from religion giving you direction, you've moved to its interpretation being the key.

Unless you are a priest or maulvi, not sure what direction religion is pointing you towards. If someone needs religion to give them a sense of morality, that is their failing.

And looking at the calm focus on that killer-of-the-tailor's face in his pre-murder video, made 10 days earlier, not sure that is a great direction for a religious person to be going in :))

Oh, but it's about interpretation right...

All I want to say is, if religion works for you and you are able to live a lawful life, good for you. But saying that the lack of religion could break down boundaries and order is just wrong. That's called the law and the police. If you said that man needs law and force to keep his baser instincts in check, I would agree. You don't need a God to enforce law though.

I would have liked to have had some discussion with you on this but it seems like you're pretty well bent on believing what you think is right is the ONLY right way.

Then jumping to generalizing towards priests or molvi (definitely condescending in your eyes) is another clue towards what your belief or anti belief is regarding that.

PS. I do hope the killers are persecuted quickly.

Depression and mental illnesses never gets diagnosed in poor countries and even rich Arab nations. They call it some Jinn or Bhoot and take them to some Tantrik or Moulvi.
In the West, especially USA, people overuse prescription medication for mental illnesses.

leave each to their own, if u want to be religious and it makes u happy, do it, if you don't and that makes you happy, do it. the real issue is that people assume they have the answer to everyone's problems when their own lives are a mess for the most part.

a large proportion of suicide in western society is adult men, who have realised that in a godless society that promotes individualism the intrinsic values associated with being men, i.e. protecting and providing for a family, are surplus to requirement, and the only way you can achieve external validation is by outperforming the average by a significant margin.

I say this as someone who is irreligious, the focus on individualism versus the family structure is destroying the mental well-being of millions of people across the world. however, women, for better or worse for themselves, have realised that they don't need to or want to be traditional wives and mothers. this has fundamentally altered the concept of the nuclear family, and that will not be reversed anytime soon IMO.

Of those that are unreligious and Pakistani, identify with the nation, built on the premise of protecting Islam, what is it you have pride in being Pakistani?. Just curious

Those who identify as Christians , mostly are non practicing ones , it would be better if stats are presented in more depth.

Back