Abysmal Catching in the IPL Season 2024 so far

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Every IPL Game i have seen there have been on average 2-3 catches dropped. Some of them real sitters with the occasional half chance but it is shocking for a $1.2 billion per year league to have such abysmal catching when all the franchises have the budgets to hire the best trainers, fielding coaches and even set up pre-season camps. This present IPL season has already surpassed the latest PSL for the number of dropped catches in 50-60% of the games.

However the fitness levels of the vast majority of IPL players is top notch and the ground fielding in the IPL is superior to the PSL.

I don't think they care about fielding in IPL, all they care is that players deliver to justify their price tags.

Last 3 matches terrible. can't lame light. Wonder if it is pressur.e Some gun fielders like Warner dropped catches.

Sloppiest IPL in a decade
====
There have been plenty of batting and bowling highlights in the first 29 matches of IPL 2024, but in terms of fielding, it hasn't been a season to remember. There have been some spectacular catches as expected in a league of high-class athletes, but overall the catching has left much to be desired.

Of the 360 catching and stumping chances created so far, only 273 have resulted in dismissals. The success rate of 75.83% is the lowest by far in the last five IPL seasons. From a rate of 2.07 drops per match last season, the figure has jumped up to 3.0, an increase of 45%.

This has to be one of the worst season. So many big names drop catches. I mean safest pair of hands have dropped a lot of catches.

Back