Addressing Racism: Is it a hidden issue in Pakistan Cricket?

Do you believe racism is a significant issue in Pakistan cricket?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Racism is a problem that can be found everywhere, even in sports like cricket. In Pakistan, where people love cricket, it’s really important to make sure there’s no racism. Even if we don’t hear about it much, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. We need to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and that they’re only judged by how well they play the game, not by their race or where they come from. Here are some of the examples from recent times when we witnessed some racist comments made by ex-cricketers from Pakistan:

EXAMPLE 1:

Kamran Akmal Comments on Sikh:

EXAMPLE 2:

Ijaz Ahmed speaking in an interview on a TV show:

“You should consider this: 80 percent of your cricket is now being played in remote areas or in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. If you were to form a team for Sindh, it would include six to eight Pathans. They lack both education and exposure. They wake up in the morning, pray with their father, uncle, or brother, and then return home. After that, they do not leave the house. When faced with such pressure, they struggle to cope.”

View attachment ssstwitter.com_1718259380572.mp4

This thread is dedicated to discussing the presence and impact of racism within the realm of Pakistan cricket. Do you guys think that Racism is a problem in Pakistan as well and what are the potential solutions to this problem?

I think Pakistan has 250 million other issues. Only advanced societies should worry about racism. If Pakistan ever gets to that stage then sure moan about it. Thing is Pakistan will cease to exist within the next century. So hardly a big issue.

Racism I think is acknowledged more now than ever thankfully except nobody addresses the real elephant in the room....The IPL. There is no bigger example of racism than not allowing a whole nation to earn, participate and gain exposure than what is going on and has been for years.

If it was truly about cricket the BCCI would have found a way. But what better way to grind a nation (i.e Pakistan) than to actively refuse then to join the biggest cricket league in the world.

The worst thing is that (a) it has worked and (b) everyone who is anyone in cricket ignores it and are therefore complicit.

I may not be correct but these are just my personal views

This issue extends beyond cricket. It's a common problem in Pakistan, often taken too lightly.
One of the reasons why we never became one nation.

The old boomers are quick to label anyone this or that and identify them as the problem.

I think Pakistan has 250 million other issues. Only advanced societies should worry about racism. If Pakistan ever gets to that stage then sure moan about it. Thing is Pakistan will cease to exist within the next century. So hardly a big issue.
The very thing you are addressing starts with racism. You forgot 1971?

It is true that we too much representation from one province in the team at the moment. It's not racist to say that.

I don't have a problem with what Ijaz Ahmed said. You can't even imagine the things Pathans say about Punjabis at times. They have an insane superiority complex - I can vouch for this as half of my family are Pathans.

All Pakistanis are racist. Urdu speakers usually say vile things about Punjabi and Pashtun people.

Pashtuns also tend to dislike anyone with a dark complexion. There is a lot of hatred among the communities. The truth is hard to digest.

I don't have a problem with what Ijaz Ahmed said. You can't even imagine the things Pathans say about Punjabis at times. They have an insane superiority complex - I can vouch for this as half of my family are Pathans.
Just because some may have a superiority complex doesn't justify punjabis having one in response.

What Ijaz said was factually incorrect - KPK dominates Pak regional cricket, their players come through on merit and our Punjabi players ( Amir, Imad etc) have been succumbed under pressure in this world cup more than anyone else.

I have a brown/dark complexion, and from my earliest memory until today, I have faced racist remarks, discrimination, and bullying because of my skin colour from school friends, teachers, colleges, relatives, and even my own family members. I know they often tried to be funny with those remarks about my skin colour, but it was really not acceptable. We, as Pakistanis, are among the most racist nations in the world. We don't ever spare any handicapped person or even non-Muslims. I remember one Christian friend who studied with me in school; he left the school citing extreme bullying and controversial remarks about his appearance and skin color, as he was physically weak and had a dark complexion.

The most terrible thing is that this behavior is exhibited by the most educated people, like teachers and professors, who call it a good sense of humor and a part of our culture.

It's not just Pakistan; racism is a common issue throughout Asia and even in the Middle East. While it sounds severe from a Western perspective, it's unfortunately seen as a normal part of life in those regions.

I'm not a racist person and this isn't my view, when I was visiting pakistan years back I heard pathan are normally brainless people aggressive and have no sense whatsoever

Don't want to offend anyone it's not my view just what I heard from pakistanis in pakistan

It's not just Pakistan; racism is a common issue throughout Asia and even in the Middle East. While it sounds severe from a Western perspective, it's unfortunately seen as a normal part of life in those regions.
It's everywhere in every country.

Some more and some less but it'll always be their and that's something we can't ever do something about.

No changing the behaviours of some humans

The issue is complex, with multiple layer of issues involved. The initial layer of problems was identified by the Pakistanis a couple of years ago. Hopefully, they will come to understand the other issues in due time.

Racism has always been an issue if you talk about any field anywhere around the world. It is in human nature that we run after things that others have. Sindh has 8 players who are Pathan etc etc, maybe sindh players are not capable enough or maybe those Pathans have been living there for generations. Why mention pathans or any other cast anywhere?

Specially doing it on live tv is not something you would get away with.

I think nepotism is a bigger problem in cricket than racism atm.

Don't pin point pakistan then
This discussion revolves around Pakistani cricketers who hail from Pakistan. You and others in this thread are discussing Pakistan's concerns. I hold goodwill towards the Pakistani people.

I have a brown/dark complexion, and from my earliest memory until today, I have faced racist remarks, discrimination, and bullying because of my skin colour from school friends, teachers, colleges, relatives, and even my own family members. I know they often tried to be funny with those remarks about my skin colour, but it was really not acceptable. We, as Pakistanis, are among the most racist nations in the world. We don't ever spare any handicapped person or even non-Muslims. I remember one Christian friend who studied with me in school; he left the school citing extreme bullying and controversial remarks about his appearance and skin color, as he was physically weak and had a dark complexion.

The most terrible thing is that this behavior is exhibited by the most educated people, like teachers and professors, who call it a good sense of humor and a part of our culture.
We're still slaves of 'goras' mentally. That's why you see this boom in whitening creams in Sub continent.

I sensed a lot of hatred towards Karachi/Sindh cricketers around 2019 onwards.

It seems ok to criticise Karachi players for being mentally weak apparently but it’s a crime to say the same things about KPK players

I sensed a lot of hatred towards Karachi/Sindh cricketers around 2019 onwards.

It seems ok to criticise Karachi players for being mentally weak apparently but it’s a crime to say the same things about KPK players
Karachi players aren't really mentally weak though. Their just nice and not clowns in regards to fame.

Saud shakeel is chillax, Doesn't mean he doesn't have the mental fortitude to survive and adapt to modern standards..he's very resilient.

Cricket is not about imam ul haq showing bravado with their mouths.

You are right

One region has given us Miandad, Sarfraz, Moin, Rashid Latif, Saeed Anwar, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan and many many more

The other has given us Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Rizwan, Khushdil Shah, Rafatullah Mohammad and many other nobodies

Great memories

Ihsanullah dealt with by Sharjeel Khan

You are right

One region has given us Miandad, Sarfraz, Moin, Rashid Latif, Saeed Anwar, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan and many many more

The other has given us Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Rizwan, Khushdil Shah, Rafatullah Mohammad and many other nobodies
Ignored Shaheen Afridi, Fakhar Zaman?

Ignored Shaheen Afridi, Fakhar Zaman?
Both are decent players however their counter parts from Karachi (Mir Hamza and Sharjeel) would have produced much better dividends if they were invested in the same amount. That’s why I wouldn’t list them as great players produced from the KP region

You are right

Rizwan alone is better than all the Karachi wk combined. Younis and Shahid Afridi are also from KPK.

Currently KPK are the big daddies of Pakistan cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are decent players however their counter parts from Karachi (Mir Hamza and Sharjeel) would have produced much better dividends if they were invested in the same amount. That’s why I wouldn’t list them as great players produced from the KP region
you cant seriously beleive mir hamza and sharjeel would have been better than fakhar and shaheen. this is clear bias towards karachi players or players you like

And what's the reason for that? Why would their counterparts would've been much better?

Justify it.

Rizwan alone is better than all the Karachi wk combined. Younis and Shahid Afridi are also from KPK.

Yes they are currently the big daddies and look at what they have done. From being the number 1 T20 team to now being laughing stocks who can’t beat the USA and struggle vs Canada

Wah what a legacy have the big daddies of KPK left for Pakistan cricket

But Pakistan calls itself an Islamic republic, and we know Islam was denouncing Islam centuries before other everyone else even thought it was an issue.

Sure no doubt. But let's be honest Pakistan and us Pakistanis follow less than 10% of what Islam requires in reality.

And what's the reason for that? Why would their counterparts would've been much better?

Justify it.
We saw how good Mir Hamza was in Australia compared to Shaheen. Give me chances in the UK, NZ and South Africa and you will see him outperform Shaheen 9 times out of 10

Same case of Sharjeel

We saw how good Mir Hamza was in Australia compared to Shaheen. Give me chances in the UK, NZ and South Africa and you will see him outperform Shaheen 9 times out of 10

Same case of Sharjeel
Saw is subjective. Give me tangibles. When you compare two players you have to define grounds and tangibles.

Can't fire in the air. That Mir Hamza looked good in Australia and Sharjeel is same case?

You are right

Shahid Afridi and Younus Khan are Pashtuns, so you cant even use those two to justify what Ijaz has said.

Pashtuns do often get racist remarks thrown at them because of our culture and habits. It's happened to me many times by other Pakistanis. Some of the posts on this thread are just continuing the racism made by Ijaz and Kamran. That should be enough for people to see how deep-rooted racism is where it's become a normal way to talk. It might not be direct but there are always hidden undertones in how people speak. Instead of talking about the issue, we have people justifying their remarks by attacking other regions which is crazy in itself. Maybe the reason why there are so many Pashtuns in the team is because Khyber Pakhtunkhwa won 5 straight domestic cups? Or maybe it's because of their passion and skill in the game? But it's okay, let's just attack their culture and way of living right? How insane is that to even think say.

Same case of Sharjeel
Mir Hamza is also Pashtun... He visits his village in Waziristan often

Yes they are currently the big daddies and look at what they have done. From being the number 1 T20 team to now being laughing stocks who can’t beat the USA and struggle vs Canada

Wah what a legacy have the big daddies of KPK left for Pakistan cricket
The laughing stock is a player from Karachi who has embarrassed the whole country his name is Azam Khan. I never said the current lot are good they are rubbish

Pashtuns do often get racist remarks thrown at them because of our culture and habits. It's happened to me many times by other Pakistanis. Some of the posts on this thread are just continuing the racism made by Ijaz and Kamran. That should be enough for people to see how deep-rooted racism is where it's become a normal way to talk. It might not be direct but there are always hidden undertones in how people speak. Instead of talking about the issue, we have people justifying their remarks by attacking other regions which is crazy in itself. Maybe the reason why there are so many Pashtuns in the team is because Khyber Pakhtunkhwa won 5 straight domestic cups? Or maybe it's because of their passion and skill in the game? But it's okay, let's just attack their culture and way of living right? How insane is that to even think say.
To add to this. The reasons they rose is because over the past couple decades it saw improvement in its Cricketing Infrastructure and on the other hand the likes of Karachi got their destroyed.

1971 just brought about the inevitable. You can't sustain a country spilt in 2 by geography.
Again giving it your own spin, would change the history though, if any of countries have genuine grievances against Pakistan it is Bangladesh.

No they are not.

Sindh/Karachi has been owning them in recent years. Pakistan’s best players approaching modern white ball cricket are being produced in this region. KPK is producing decent players who need 10 balls to get going…they also have been choking in the final hurdles..

We see that a lot in the national team too with these players unable to hold their nerves

If rizwan is better then all wk combined, why does he keep sucking as an opener?

Of course, but then don't call yourselves an Islamic republic. Maybe rebrand as some form of secular collaberation of states.
Honestly, only way Pakistan is improving if they start stepping up.

These boys are not uae or saudi or anybother Islamic nation

Pakistan needs to shove it aside, they badly badly need to become a melting pot nation. Mix of culture, mix of talent, mix of races etc.

Our people alone are tearing this country apart. Unlike India, sadly Pakistan really does need foreign handholding. It pains me to say this, but it's true.

Please stay on topic and no personal remarks are to be made here. Thanks

Commonsense.

==

Former Indian opener Aakash Chopra:

“If you know that there is no chance of matches taking place in Florida, then why not shift the matches? But there are logistical issues attached with it since fans, for instance, have already booked their flights and hotel and a sudden change will derail their plans. However, their plans will be derailed one way or the other since cricket won’t be played in Florida"

“Shifting the matches might results in less crowd and other challenges but at least we will have cricket. There is a lot of money riding on these matches and three washouts in a row won’t suit the broadcasters as well since they pay to cover these matches. Also, we should take into account the fact that these matches will decided the future of some of the teams in the tournament which is important as well."

“I think the ICC Governing Council should look into this because extraordinary circumstances demand extraordinary measures.”

No they are not.

Sindh/Karachi has been owning them in recent years. Pakistan’s best players approaching modern white ball cricket are being produced in this region. KPK is producing decent players who need 10 balls to get going…they also have been choking in the final hurdles..

We see that a lot in the national team too with these players unable to hold their nerves
This isn't even relevant to the original post but there's no way you're being serious right? Over recent years, KPK has produced Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi, Rizwan, Naseem Shah, Iftikhar, Mohammad Haris, Wasim Jr, and Ihsanullah. Not to mention players that should be given a chance like Sahibzada Farhan and Kamran Ghulam. Who has Sindh produced recently that's better than these players? Nepo baby Azam Khan?

ICC asks India and Pakistan about racism reports

International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Malcolm Speed has written to officials in India and Pakistan to ask about reports of racism during matches this week.

Speed said in a media release on Saturday that the ICC was determined to keep cricket free of "the scourge of racism".

"We have noted media reports of racist chanting during the India-Australia ODI...and also of racist abuse directed at South Africa players and team officials in Lahore," he said.

"In the light of those reports we have written to both the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) and the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) asking for their comments on the incidents."

Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds was racially abused by spectators while fielding in Thursday's one-day match against India in Baroda, Australian officials said.

In Lahore, four spectators were arrested on Friday for making racist remarks towards a South African player and official during the final day of the second test against Pakistan, the PCB said.

"The ICC retains a zero tolerance to racism as illustrated in our Anti-Racism Code which was strengthened last year," Speed said.

The code outlined measures member countries were expected to adopt to punish spectators found guilty of racial abuse, he added.

"We need to understand whether those measures are working. If they are not then our members need to tell us why so we can ensure cricket remains free from the scourge of racism."

The subject could be discussed when the ICC board met at the end of October in Dubai, Speed said.

REUTERS

There is no solution to racism in my opinion. For example, the same people who is voicing so much against racism won't shy to differentiate if it comes to religion (us vs them). It is religion so it's not racism..... different institution and while we acknowledge one, we ignore the other.

Race, Religion, Economic status are just class. When you identify any of this class, then you start to believe in the principle of "us vs them" due to the heterogenic nature of society. If you don't care about one class, you'll differentiate in another.

All humans are racist by nature (extrapolating the same critieria of race to other fields/classes). You can eradicate it only when the society will be homogenous. But a homegenous society is utopian dream.

Whatever solution anyone will propose, it'll one way or the other will just perpetuate racism/discrimination.

Ijaz's comments look even more ignorant now with Afghanistan making the semifinal. The Afghan team are all Pashtuns and they seemed to handle the pressure pretty well against Bangladesh.

The first step is to recognize there is a racism issue. It appears that racism has become so ingrained that lot of people have accepted as normal behavior or hide behind the degree of severity. These videos made my skin crawl. How can anyone speak like this on national TV and not thrown out of the studio? Worse is that some people on this thread are making excuses for these type of utterances. It should be condemned whole heartedly no matter where it happens.

Back