Airstrike which killed dozens of civilians in Rafah was 'tragic mistake'": Benjamin Netanyahu

Why will I start a thread when it was you who were claiming that Romans and Persians were attacking Muslims? :genius

What Israel or Palestine do is between them. We can only talk about what is what. My counter to you was your claims of Israel acting according to their holy books. I am just pointing to you what your holy scriptures also tell about the same.
This is the same poster who once claimed that after the demise of the US empire due to happen soon, Turkey and Pakistan will easily take over as the next superpowers of the world. :salute

All Eyes on Rafah: The post that's been shared by more than 47m people​

An AI-generated image depicting tent camps for displaced Palestinians and a slogan that reads All Eyes on Rafah is sweeping social media.

The post has been shared more than 47 million times by Instagram users including celebrities like Dua Lipa, Lewis Hamilton and Gigi and Bella Hadid.

The image and the slogan went viral after an Israeli air strike and resulting fire at a camp for displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah earlier this week.

The Hamas-run health ministry said at least 45 people were killed and hundreds more wounded in the incident. Israel said it had targeted two Hamas commanders, and that the deadly fire was possibly caused by a secondary explosion.

There has been widespread international condemnation of the Israeli strike, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a “tragic mishap”.

Following the incident, the image went viral after a young man in Malaysia posted it on his social media account, BBC Arabic discovered.

Where did the slogan All Eyes on Rafah start?

The deadly incident earlier this week in Rafah led to people posting clips of Richard Peeperkorn, a representative of the World Health Organization in the occupied Palestinian territories, speaking in February.

He told journalists at the time that “All eyes are on Rafah", warning against Israeli forces attacking the city.

Speaking via an online call to journalists at the UN's headquarters in Geneva, Mr Peeperkorn said he feared "unimaginable disaster" if the Israeli army made a large-scale incursion into the city, which it was threatening to invade.

Officials and activists have been repeating Mr Peeperkorn's phrase since then to express their concern and opposition to Israel's military operation in Rafah, which began three weeks ago.

In the months that followed the first use of the phrase, All Eyes on Rafah slogans appeared at rallies around the world and on social media.

But in the last two days, the AI-generated image featuring the slogan has proliferated on social media sites, with more than 47 million shares according to an Instagram count on Thursday afternoon.
Other celebrities who have shared the image and the slogan include American actor Mark Ruffalo, Indian actress Priyanka Chopra and Syrian actress Kinda Alloush.

All Eyes on Rafah: The post that's been shared by more than 47m people​

An AI-generated image depicting tent camps for displaced Palestinians and a slogan that reads All Eyes on Rafah is sweeping social media.

The post has been shared more than 47 million times by Instagram users including celebrities like Dua Lipa, Lewis Hamilton and Gigi and Bella Hadid.

The image and the slogan went viral after an Israeli air strike and resulting fire at a camp for displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah earlier this week.

The Hamas-run health ministry said at least 45 people were killed and hundreds more wounded in the incident. Israel said it had targeted two Hamas commanders, and that the deadly fire was possibly caused by a secondary explosion.

There has been widespread international condemnation of the Israeli strike, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a “tragic mishap”.

Following the incident, the image went viral after a young man in Malaysia posted it on his social media account, BBC Arabic discovered.

Where did the slogan All Eyes on Rafah start?

The deadly incident earlier this week in Rafah led to people posting clips of Richard Peeperkorn, a representative of the World Health Organization in the occupied Palestinian territories, speaking in February.

He told journalists at the time that “All eyes are on Rafah", warning against Israeli forces attacking the city.

Speaking via an online call to journalists at the UN's headquarters in Geneva, Mr Peeperkorn said he feared "unimaginable disaster" if the Israeli army made a large-scale incursion into the city, which it was threatening to invade.

Officials and activists have been repeating Mr Peeperkorn's phrase since then to express their concern and opposition to Israel's military operation in Rafah, which began three weeks ago.

In the months that followed the first use of the phrase, All Eyes on Rafah slogans appeared at rallies around the world and on social media.

But in the last two days, the AI-generated image featuring the slogan has proliferated on social media sites, with more than 47 million shares according to an Instagram count on Thursday afternoon.
Other celebrities who have shared the image and the slogan include American actor Mark Ruffalo, Indian actress Priyanka Chopra and Syrian actress Kinda Alloush.

Were you involved in this Instagram campaign?

Were you involved in this Instagram campaign?
I don't post on social media but I have accounts.

Sadly, many of these posts/comments were dominated by jubilant Indians laughing at the dead.

Indian celebrities have been ruthlessly trolled for showing any support to Gazans too.

This is the same poster who once claimed that after the demise of the US empire due to happen soon, Turkey and Pakistan will easily take over as the next superpowers of the world. :salute

Where did I suggest this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching these horrific deaths of innocent civilians esp children for not just months but since I was born in the not so looking holy land has become a implanted sadness & anger . It’s impossible to comprehend the reality of suffering for these people. It’s even more to understand their patience & bravery .

There have been evil regimes , evil rulers , evil nations , evil empires etc but never such a small territory committing evil in such methods without the world unable to intervene in any meaningful way .

This is why Israel or Zionism is scary . It’s able to defy all global institutions and scare all nations , perhaps not Iran as much but it applies to them too , in not to coming to the rescue of such people in any military way . Reason is simple , Zionists control modern western civilisation, through banking , political control, gloabal institutions . They have the money & have ensured the west attained the most powerful military machines in history. With the west being their weapon of fear , they have also managed to control most nations in the other continents. Only Russia , China , Iran & a few others remain fully independent.

Israel & Zionism is currently showing the world , the time has come to shift power from all to Israel . UN , ICJ or anyone are powerless. The more anyone criticised Israel , the more them kill in even more imorale ways .

Messianic Zionism makes other called extremists Disney characters, Bin Laden is Mickey Mouse compared to these nut jobs . They have cows ready to sacrifice so they can build their temple after knocking down Al-Aqsa.

They arrived into the holy land because a holy book tells them this is their god given land . It tells them they are gods chosen people, both they have in acted . Only thing left is to bring their messiah to rule the world , after Armageddon (it won’t effect the holy land ).

We are chilling at the cricket with family eating & enjoying life . Zionists are working other plans for us too .

If someone or some don’t stop these satanic nutters , Gaza is one day , in a year or ten …. coming to a town near you . . .

If this is true, why is India not clashing with the zionists? Is it because they are happy to salute the Hebrew Raj as they once saluted the British? :unsure:

If this is true, why is India not clashing with the zionists? Is it because they are happy to salute the Hebrew Raj as they once saluted the British? :unsure:
Because a conflict is not necessary,China isn’t in a conflict with Israel either.

India’s strategy would had served Pakistan well too, just stay out of western politics and call for human right violations.

The Israeli military confirmed Friday that its forces are operating in central parts of Rafah in its expanding offensive in the southern Gaza city

Israel launched its ground assault into the city on May 6, triggering an exodus of around 1 million Palestinians out of the city and throwing U.N. humanitarian operations based in the area into turmoil. Still, it has yet to amount to a “major operation” in the eyes of U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration, according to the State Department.

Biden said Friday that Hamas is “no longer capable” of carrying out another large-scale attack on Israel and urged the Israelis and Hamas to come to a deal to release remaining hostages for an extended cease-fire. He said Israeli officials have offered a three-phase deal to Hamas, adding, “Israel has made their proposal. Hamas says it wants a cease-fire. This deal is an opportunity to prove whether they really mean it.”

Source: AP News

Indians defending Israel disgusts me. However, I’m not surprised since I’ve literally seen many of them arguing for the same fate for Indian Muslims.

Thankfully, the Indians I know personally are far from anything like this. I just don’t know if they are in the majority.

Indians defending Israel disgusts me. However, I’m not surprised since I’ve literally seen many of them arguing for the same fate for Indian Muslims.

Thankfully, the Indians I know personally are far from anything like this. I just don’t know if they are in the majority.
Israel has been defending itself from Islamists since it was found. Arab nations fought many wars to finish off Israel permanently. A feeling many Indians can identify with.

Israel has been defending itself from Islamists since it was found. Arab nations fought many wars to finish off Israel permanently. A feeling many Indians can identify with.
While we ruled you (Indians) for a thousand plus years, you guys did have a genuine indigenous claim to the land.

Israel, full of Ashkenazi Jews, does not.

Don’t compare yourselves to Israel. You are better.

India throughout history has never never been a global
Empire. Is a land easily conquered as its confused into its identity. They rather submit to being mr copper from mr Kumar . Embarrassed to be ruled over for 1000 years from a minority etc . Nobody takes Indian views seriously apart from you

Last edited by a moderator:
Because a conflict is not necessary,China isn’t in a conflict with Israel either.

India’s strategy would had served Pakistan well too, just stay out of western politics and call for human right violations.

Pakistan is an Islamic nation, that was the specific purpose of it's inception so I would imagine the govt has to reflect the position of the Pakistani public which will be support for Palestine.

But India doesn't really have a connection to either side so the comparison with Pakistan doesn't make much sense.

Pakistan is an Islamic nation, that was the specific purpose of it's inception so I would imagine the govt has to reflect the position of the Pakistani public which will be support for Palestine.

But India doesn't really have a connection to either side so the comparison with Pakistan doesn't make much sense.
It would serve Pakistan well to know they are not the only Muslim nation, Malaysia Indonesia Brunei UAE QATAR are all Muslim nations that have IQ higher than Pakistani Establishment

It would serve Pakistan well to know they are not the only Muslim nation, Malaysia Indonesia Brunei UAE QATAR are all Muslim nations that have IQ higher than Pakistani Establishment

I don't really understand where you are going with this. I was asking about why Indian public would side with either since they don't have any connection to either side, and you are comparing with Pakistan first, now you have moved on to IQ level of the Pakistan establishment compared to other Muslim countries. Are you saying that those countries that you mention have stayed neutral in the genocide?

Well said.

Pakistan's traditional hostility towards Israel is one of the finest displays of pointless grandstanding imo. Theirs is a strange position to take and yields zero benefits for Pakistan. Antisemitism has a significant part to play in it too.

Well said.

Pakistan's traditional hostility towards Israel is one of the finest displays of pointless grandstanding imo. Theirs is a strange position to take and yields zero benefits for Pakistan. Antisemitism has a significant part to play in it too.

Why is it that Pakistanis, despite facing its own challenges, cannot effectively address the issue of genocide in Gaza?

Well said.

I hope Pakistanis remain united in the form that so troubles these people.

Why is it that Pakistanis, despite facing its own challenges, cannot effectively address the issue of genocide in Gaza?
They find a way to cut down any criticism. It's one excuse after the other

I wasn't referring to the Gaza genocide btw, I said 'traditional hostility over 70 years' .. Pak still don't have diplomatic relations with Israel.

What's happening in Gaza right now is tragedy.

This is so true though and is always the case in such scenarios.

The 'loud minority' screeching and squealing day in day out makes it seem more mainstream but it is often not the case. Overwhelming proportion of the 'silent majority' in the civilised World backs Israel in this fight and spits (literally) at Hamas terrorists and their sympathizers.

Western governments are not idiots to go against the opinions of their populace.

I don't really understand where you are going with this. I was asking about why Indian public would side with either since they don't have any connection to either side, and you are comparing with Pakistan first, now you have moved on to IQ level of the Pakistan establishment compared to other Muslim countries. Are you saying that those countries that you mention have stayed neutral in the genocide?
My bad I thought you meant Government of India.
Those countries are neutral in majority of the situations, not talking about Gaza in particular.

This is so true though and is always the case in such scenarios.

The 'loud minority' screeching and squealing day in day out makes it seem more mainstream but it is often not the case. Overwhelming proportion of the 'silent majority' in the civilised World backs Israel in this fight and spits (literally) at Hamas terrorists and their sympathizers.

Western governments are not idiots to go against the opinions of their populace.
Recently Iraq 😂

I wasn't referring to the Gaza genocide btw, I said 'traditional hostility over 70 years' .. Pak still don't have diplomatic relations with Israel.

What's happening in Gaza right now is tragedy.
The hesitation regarding open diplomatic ties doesn't solely stem from the Pakistani government's reluctance; rather, it's rooted in the population's skepticism toward establishing relations with Israel. Once Saudi Arabia establishes diplomatic ties with Israel, Pakistan may follow suit, given the potential ease of persuading the populace.

Maybe Niki the the uncle tom - zionest poodle needs to wake up to the reality world.
====
It’s going to be an interesting Alumni Weekend at Columbia University, where pro-Palestine student protestors have once again reestablished an encampment on the school’s lawn.

This comes after the NYPD cleared out the protest encampment at the start of May, which made headlines as images of young people being arrested on campus hit the airwaves and sparked a wave of police intervention at university protests across the nation. Students first took up residence on the university grounds with around 50 tents in April, to protest the school’s financial interests in the Hamas War.

After 112 people were arrested and the tents were subsequently removed from the campus lawn, the school remained quiet but still canceled university-wide commencement in lieu of smaller individualized ceremonies.

Now, just in time for Columbia Reunion 2024, which lasts from Thursday through Saturday, protesting students have set up new tents and declared the school’s South Lawn as a “Liberated Zone” for the third time.

“This encampment follows the revelation that Columbia University has been colluding with the billionaire lobby, acting on behalf of foreign governments to brutalize, mass arrest, and siege our campus with the NYPD,” a statement from the X page of Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine reads.

Video that has emerged from the new encampment’s early setup shows a sign that states, “We’re back,"

The hesitation regarding open diplomatic ties doesn't solely stem from the Pakistani government's reluctance; rather, it's rooted in the population's skepticism toward establishing relations with Israel.

It's rooted in antisemitism.

'All eyes on Rafah,' tens of thousands rally in Karachi​

Tens of thousands of protesters packed the main road in Pakistan's port city of Karachi on Sunday to denounce the Israeli offensive of Gaza that has killed over 36,400 people, mostly children and women, since last October.

Organised by Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), the country's mainstream religiopolitical party, and attended by thousands of women and children as well, the rally was part of the global movement "All Eyes On Rafah."

Carrying tri-colour Palestinian flags and banners, inscribed with anti-Israel slogans, the protesters started to gather at the Shahrah-e-Faisal Road at 4 p.m. local time (1100GMT) from different parts of the city.

It was a hot day as the South Asian country has been in the grip of a severe heat wave, while protesters, many of them wearing the Palestinian scarf "keffiyeh," kept pouring in.

"Stop Genocide in Gaza" was engraved on the main banner displayed on an overhead bridge, while another was inscribed with "Labbaik ya Aqsa" (Aqsa, we are here) and "Salute to Hamas resistance."

A group of young protesters carried a 30-meter-long (approximately 100 feet) Palestinian flag as a mark of respect to those who died in Gaza.

A large number of Christians also took part in the rally.

This was the third major pro-Palestine march in the country's commercial capital this year as Pakistan has seen massive protest rallies following Israel's onslaught.

"Free free Palestine," protesters shouted in unison as the JI's newly-elected chief, Hafiz Naeem-ur-Rehman, and other party leaders made a human chain on the stage.

"Israel is humiliating the humanity. The way its forces are bombing even those areas, which themselves have declared so-called safe zones," Rehman said in his address.

He accused the US of toeing a policy of "bigotry" to allow Tel Aviv to invade Rafah by providing "all kinds of lethal weapons.

"On the one hand, Washington claims it wants a cease-fire, and on the other, it continues equipping Israel with lethal weapons to carry on its onslaught," he added.

He claimed that Arab leaders, instead of supporting Hamas and Palestinians, "are trying to save their kingdoms."

"We will not leave Hamas and Palestinians alone in their just struggle. The people of Pakistan, together with the 'people with conscience,' continue to support Palestinians," he went on to say.

Israel has pounded the Gaza Strip in retaliation for an Oct. 7 attack by Hamas which killed some 1,200 people.

More than 36,400 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Israel began its onslaught nearly eight months ago. The majority of those killed have been women and children, with over 82,600 others injured, according to local health authorities.

Vast tracts of Gaza lay in ruins amid Israel's crippling blockade of food, clean water, and medicine.

Israel is accused of genocide at the International Court of Justice, whose latest ruling ordered Tel Aviv to immediately halt its operation in Rafah, where more than 1 million Palestinians had sought refuge from the war.

Huge protests call on Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu to approve US ceasefire deal and release hostages

Tens of thousands of protesters have rallied in Tel Aviv to call for the resignation of Benjamin Netanyahu and the immediate release of hostages.

An estimated 120,000 people took to the streets of the Israeli city to call on the far-right governing coalition to accept a ceasefire deal outlined by Joe Biden on Friday, according to local media.

The deal would see the staggered release of hostages captured on 7 October - the day of Hamas's unprecedented attack on southern Israel, which killed 1,200 people - in return for a gradual withdrawal of Israeli troops from the besieged enclave of Gaza.

Skirmishes broke out between protesters and police, with two people reportedly arrested and 14 injured as police used a sound cannon to disperse crowds.

A water cannon was also reportedly deployed for the protest - believed to have been the biggest demonstration against Mr Netanyahu's government since 7 October - but not used.

Families of hostages said time to get their loved ones back was running out as they gathered in different cities across Israel.

If you go wagah border Pakistani forces are wearing traditional local attire . Indian forces are wearing western attire . It’s one example of imitating & conditioning yourselfs to others you once served . Unless you can show me people in Gujrat or Calcutta we’re wearing trousers before the Raj arrived with a few thousand troops to take control? Zionism is the new Raj to some .

If you go wagah border Pakistani forces are wearing traditional local attire . Indian forces are wearing western attire . It’s one example of imitating & conditioning yourselfs to others you once served . Unless you can show me people in Gujrat or Calcutta we’re wearing trousers before the Raj arrived with a few thousand troops to take control? Zionism is the new Raj to some .

Trousers look more professional and it's comfortable to wear for lean Indian soldiers. Pakistani guards wear the loose fitting local attire to hide their potbellies.

Trousers look more professional and it's comfortable to wear for lean Indian soldiers. Pakistani guards wear the loose fitting local attire to hide their potbellies.

I doubt khakis are more comfortable to wear, but they might be more practical depending on the terrain. I can remember during the Afghan war British soldiers complaining they were wearing heavy clothes lugging around huge supply backpacks in intense heat while their Afghan foes were running rings round them in flip flops. It's not a culture statement, you have to wear uniforms which fit the purpose of the mission.

On the pot bellied Pakistan guards, can't really comment. Pakistanis used to take pride in such things but just got to look at their cricket team to see how far things have slipped. Don't really blame soldiers for not bothering with such stuff, they probably have no idea what their purpose is.

At least 15 killed in Israeli attack on central Gaza refugee camps

At least 15 people have been killed in Israeli ground and air attacks on the Bureij and Maghazi refugee camps in central Gaza, a Palestinian health official has said.

“More than 15 martyrs and dozens of injuries reached the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in the last several hours,” a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health told reporters from outside the hospital grounds in central Gaza’s Deir el-Balah.

If the “aggression” on the areas in central Gaza does not come to a halt, the number of those killed is expected to quickly rise, he said.

The Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital is the only medical facility currently offering services to more than one million people in the area, the spokesperson said.

The facility does not have the capacity for more patients, he warned, adding that the hospital is already “overflowing with wounded people”, many of whom are being treated on the floor.

Al Jazeera

US urges Israel to be transparent over Gaza school strike

The US has told Israel it must be fully "transparent" over an air strike that reportedly killed at least 35 people at a central Gaza school packed with displaced people on Thursday morning.

Local journalists told the BBC that a warplane fired two missiles at classrooms on the top floor of the school in the urban Nuseirat refugee camp.

The Israeli military said it conducted a "precise" strike on a "Hamas compound" in the school, but Gaza’s Hamas-run Government Media Office denied the claim.

US state department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Israel must publicly identify the Hamas fighters it claims to have killed. Israel frequently identifies militants it targeted in airstrikes, but it is rare for the US to urge it to do so.

"The government of Israel has said that they are going to release more information about this strike, including the names of those who died in it," Mr Miller said.

"We expect them to be fully transparent in making that information public."

On Thursday evening, Israeli army spokesperson Daniel Hagari gave the names of nine Hamas and Islamic Jihad fighters he said were killed in the strike. He claimed more would be identified after work to “verify the information”.

The strike comes just a week after 45 people were killed in an Israeli strike in the Gazan city of Rafah.

Gaza town says mayor killed in Israeli strike on water station

A spokesman for the Nuseirat municipality in central Gaza said Friday that the town's mayor, Iyad al-Maghari, had been killed in an Israeli strike while visiting a water pumping station.

Maghari had been at the water management facility that serves Nuseirat when an air strike hit it at around 10:30 pm (1930 GMT) on Thursday, spokesman Muhammad al-Salhi told AFP at the nearby Al-Aqsa Martyrs hospital, where mourners gathered ahead of the funeral.

"We were surprised by a treacherous and cowardly attack on the mayor inside the plant, which led to the martyrdom of the mayor, Dr Iyad Al-Maghari, and four members of his family," Salhi said.

The Israeli army told AFP on Friday that they plan to publish shortly a statement about the incident.

AFP journalists at the water station on Friday said the facility was in tatters, with concrete strewn about in piles, electrical equipment torn apart and blood stains on the ground.

Israel says attacks on Gaza’s eastern Deir el-Balah continue

The Israeli military says its operations are continuing in eastern Deir el-Balah and eastern Bureij after Saturday’s operation to rescue four captives in the Nuseirat refugee camp.

In a situational update on Telegram, the army said fighter jets were “striking numerous terror targets in the area, as well as armed terrorists who posed a threat” to Israeli troops.

In the southern Rafah area, troops from the 162nd Division are continuing “intelligence-based, targeted operations” and locating “tunnel shafts” and weapons.

In central Gaza, troops continue “dismantling terror infrastructure and eliminating terrorists”.

The army added that “numerous mortar shells” were launched at troops in the area of the Islamic University in southern Gaza City, but no injuries were reported, and the launcher was dismantled.

Source: Al Jazeera

Occupation army fails in Rafah​

The rapid developments within the zionist entity have imposed themselves on the military, political, and media levels, particularly regarding the escalation of Palestinian resistance operations in Gaza and Hezbollah on the southern Lebanon border, as well as negotiations concerning the ceasefire and prisoner exchange.

Source: Press TV

Reports of multiple casualties among Palestinians in an Israeli airstrike targeting Tal Al-Sultan neighborhood in Rafah City.

Source: Quds News Network

Eight soldiers killed in Rafah explosion, IDF announces​

Eight Israeli soldiers were killed in a blast in southern Gaza’s Rafah this morning, the military announces, in what marks the deadliest incident for the IDF in the Strip since January.

Only one of the soldiers is named: Cpt. Wassem Mahmoud, 23, a deputy company commander in the Combat Engineering Corps’ 601st Battalion from Beit Jann.

The families of the other seven soldiers have been notified, and their names are due to be released later.

According to an initial IDF probe, the troops were all killed inside a Namer armored combat engineering vehicle (CEV).

The soldiers had been driving in a convoy at around 5 a.m. on Saturday following an overnight offensive against Hamas in the northwestern areas of Rafah’s Tel Sultan neighborhood, during which troops under the 401st Armored Brigade killed some 50 gunmen, according to the IDF.

The convoy was heading to buildings captured by the army, for the troops to rest following the overnight operation.

The Namer CEV was the fifth or sixth vehicle in the convoy, and at some point, it was hit by a major explosion. It was not immediately clear if it was a bomb planted ahead of time or if Hamas operatives had approached the vehicle with an explosive device and directly placed it on the CEV.

The military was also investigating the possibility that explosives stored on the outside of the CEV contributed to the massive blast. Normally, the mines and other explosives stored on the outside of a CEV would not manage to cause injuries to troops inside if they detonated.

There was no gunfire amid the incident, and the vehicle was not at a standstill when the blast occurred, the probe found.

Their deaths bring the toll of slain IDF soldiers in the ground offensive against Hamas and amid operations along the Gaza border to 307. A police officer was killed in a hostage rescue operation last week, and a civilian Defense Ministry contractor has also been killed in the Strip.

The deadliest incident in Gaza occurred in January, during which 21 soldiers were killed in a blast following Hamas RPG fire that collapsed two buildings.

Israeli PM scraps war cabinet after key departures​

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has dissolved his six-member war cabinet, a widely expected decision that follows the departure of centrist opposition leader Benny Gantz and his ally Gadi Eisenkot.

Israeli media report that sensitive issues about the war with Hamas in Gaza will now be decided by a smaller forum.

Since Mr Gantz quit eight days ago over what he said was the lack of strategy for the war, there have been calls from far-right ministers to take his place. By dissolving the war cabinet, Mr Netanyahu avoids a tricky situation with his coalition partners and international allies.

Israeli war cabinet minister Benny Gantz quits emergency governmentM r Gantz and Mr Eisenkot joined a national unity government with Mr Netanyahu’s right-wing coalition days after the start of the war in October.

The two former IDF chiefs of staff announced their resignations on 9 June, with Mr Gantz saying that the prime minister’s leadership was “preventing us from approaching true victory”.

Immediately afterwards, far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said he had written to Mr Netanyahu to demand that he be added to the war cabinet. On Sunday night, Mr Netanyahu reportedly informed ministers that he had decided to dissolve the decision-making body rather than bring in new members.

“The [war] cabinet was in the coalition agreement with Gantz at his request. As soon as Gantz left - there is no need for a cabinet anymore," he said, according to the Jerusalem Post.

Haaretz reported that some of the issues previously discussed by the war cabinet would be transferred for discussion in the 14-member security cabinet, which includes Mr Ben-Gvir and fellow far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich.

It said sensitive decisions would be addressed in a “smaller consultation forum”, which was expected to include Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer and the chairman of the ultra-Orthodox Shas party, Aryeh Deri. The three men were in the war cabinet along with the prime minister, Mr Gantz and Mr Eisenkot.

The IDF's chief spokesman, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, insisted on Monday that such moves would not affect its operations.

"Cabinet members are being changed and the method is being changed. We have the echelon, we know the chain of command. We're working according to the chain of command. This is a democracy,” he told reporters.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza to destroy Hamas in response to an unprecedented attack on southern Israel on 7 October, during which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

More than 37,340 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.

Source :BBC

Israeli bombardment kills dozens across Gaza, amid fierce fighting

Israeli forces pounded Rafah in southern Gaza on Friday, as well as other areas across the enclave, killing at least 32 Palestinians as troops engaged in close-quarter combat with Hamas militants, residents and Israel’s military said.

Residents said the Israelis appeared to be trying to complete their capture of Rafah, which borders Egypt and has been the focus of an Israeli assault since early May.

Tanks were forcing their way into the western and northern parts of the city, having already captured the east, south and center. Israeli forces fired from planes, tanks and ships off the coast, forcing a new wave of displacement from the city, which had been sheltering more than a million displaced people, most of whom have been forced to flee again.

Later on Friday, Palestinian health officials said at least 12 Palestinians were killed in Mawasi in western Rafah in what Palestinians said was a tank shelling that hit a tent housing displaced families.

Palestinian health officials said at least 32 Palestinians had been killed in separate Israeli military strikes on Friday.

The Israeli military said on Friday it was looking into the reported strikes on Mawasi and a separate incident in Gaza City.

It said its forces were conducting “precise, intelligence-based” actions in the Rafah area, where troops were involved in close-quarter combat and had located tunnels used by militants.

The military also said that over the past week its forces had targeted a university that it said served as a Hamas headquarters from which militants fired on its soldiers and had found weapons and barrel bombs. It did not name the university.

In the central Gaza Strip area of Nusseirat, the military said, soldiers killed dozens of militants over the past week and found a weapons depot that contained mortar bombs and military equipment belonging to Hamas.

Some Rafah residents said the pace of the Israeli raid has accelerated in the past two days. They said sounds of explosions and gunfire, indicating fierce fighting, have been almost non-stop.

“Last night was one of the worst nights in western Rafah, drones, planes, tanks, and naval boats bombarded the area. We feel the occupation is trying to complete the control of the city,” said Hatem, 45, reached by text message.

“They are taking heavy strikes from the resistance fighters, which may be slowing them down.”

More than eight months into the war in Gaza, Israel’s advance is now focused on the two last areas its forces had yet to storm: Rafah on Gaza’s southern edge and the area surrounding Deir al-Balah in the center.

“The entire city of Rafah is an area of Israeli military operations,” Ahmed Al-Sofi, the mayor of Rafah, said in a statement carried by Hamas media on Friday.

“The city lives through a humanitarian catastrophe and people are dying inside their tents because of Israeli bombardment,” he added.

Sofi said there was no medical facility functioning in the city, and that remaining residents and displaced families lacked the minimum daily needs of food and water.

Palestinian and UN figures show that fewer than 100,000 people may have remained in the far western side of the city, which had been sheltering more than half of Gaza’s 2.3 million people before the Israeli assault began in early May.

The Israeli military accused Hamas of using Palestinian civilians as human shields, an allegation Hamas denies.

“The soldiers located inside a civilian residence large quantities of weapons hidden in wardrobes, including grenades, explosives, a launcher and anti-tank missiles, ammunition, and arms,” the military said in a statement late on Thursday.

Hamas’ armed wing said on Thursday its fighters had hit two Israeli tanks with anti-tank rockets in the Shaboura camp in Rafah, and killed soldiers who tried to flee through the alleys. There was no immediate Israeli comment on the Hamas claim.

In nearby Khan Younis, an Israeli airstrike on Friday killed three people, including a father and son, medics said.

In parallel, Israeli forces continued a new push back into some Gaza City suburbs in the north of the enclave, where they fought with Hamas-led militants. Residents said army forces had destroyed many homes in the heart of Gaza City on Thursday.

Later on Friday, an Israeli airstrike on a Gaza City municipal facility killed five people, including four municipal workers, the territory’s Civil Emergency Service said. It added that rescue teams were searching the rubble for more missing victims.

In the nearby Beach camp, an Israeli airstrike on a house killed at least seven people, medics said.

Israel’s ground and air campaign was triggered when Hamas-led militants stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing around 1,200 people and seizing more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

The offensive has left Gaza in ruins, killed more than 37,400 people, according to Palestinian health authorities, and left nearly the entire population homeless and destitute.

Back