Albie Morkel - Six hitting machine (Retires from all forms of cricket - Update #45]

Dr_Bassim

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
i saw the match against South Africa and New Zealand ... and some interesting observations about Albie Morkel

1. he might be the dangerman for Pakistan .. he can usually play spinners and hits them a long way ...

2. You just cant bowl full to him .. i think Pakistani bowlers should try short balls for him specifically. I say this because in the match vs New Zealand.. he totally murdered them , and they kept pitching the ball up to him ...

3. i know pitching the ball up in the blocks.. is a useful technique against most players but with Albie Morkel we should try the short ball as early as we can ... Cuz the way he took the full balls out of the ground.. was cruel and brutal.

i hope we have done our homework on other batsmen too :13:

i can bet 100 percent South Africans will have done their homework on how to negate the effect of Pak spinners...

Pakistanis might still be thinking .. "Bas spinner aye ga , aur kaam done "

Its not gonna be that easy ....

I always thought he was a better player of pace than spin? I would get Ajmal to sort him.

Actually, Ajmal will have to sort everyone out unless Afridi turns his form around.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
Saeed 2 second mey usko out kardega

magar 140 run kaun banaye ga :13:

Thas the haunting question ....

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
Saeed 2 second mey usko out kardega

I think what might really end up happening is the ball sailing out of the stadium in two seconds. :D

Although yes Saeed should give Morkel trouble.

Considering the fact that Yardy had him all at sea with normal left arm spin.

that's interesting, since Albie is an absolute murderer of left arm spinners...but Yardy's a canny bowler, darts the ball in very accurately.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
that's interesting, since Albie is an absolute murderer of left arm spinners...but Yardy's a canny bowler, darts the ball in very accurately.

It could have been the pressure of the situation that undid him.

I must say though - Morkel got an absolute ripper from Yardy.

Looks to be another Afridi replica, judging from his remarakably Afridi-esque figures. Safe to say that if he's played one or more innings of over 35 runs in the last 6-8 games, he's not gonna play one for a while.

How long are South Africa gonna bank on Albie coming out and 'hitting a few massive sixes' at the end of an innings? IIRC he's never actually done anything of note with the bat vs Pakistan, and his overall statistics across both shorter formats are pretty poor. Strange that SA is carrying an absolute passenger.

Ever since the T20 2010 WC, whenever Albie is mentioned, I remember that awful beamer he got on his groin from Amir.:)))

Other than that, he hasn't really shined recently AFAIK.

Morkel needs to go. Ingram and Miller can fill his batting role with ease, and his bowling is quite poor too.

It always looks like that he is just going through the motions a bit like Abdul Razzaq.

It always looks like that he is just going through the motions a bit like Abdul Razzaq.

Spot on, looks very dis-interested most times

Esp his bowling which is very avge

Albie looks to be very talented but hardly ever performs. He should be playing for us. :D

A bit like Razzaq. I think he is a good player, but he is unsure of what his role is. He comes in at 7 and is expected to hit sixes right away.

As far as his bowling goes, he is cannon-fodder just like Razzaq. Sometimes when it's swinging he can be a good option with the new ball.

A bit like Razzaq. I think he is a good player, but he is unsure of what his role is. He comes in at 7 and is expected to hit sixes right away.

As far as his bowling goes, he is cannon-fodder just like Razzaq. Sometimes when it's swinging he can be a good option with the new ball.

But the difference is AR is way passed his best as far as the bowling goes and Albie should be at his best ATM.

In my opinion,would give lot more chances to morkel.Dhoni used him exceedingly well in tamasha versions,its not short of talent,maybe right usage of him in the games is more necessary.i see him coming back more strongly in the future

He definitely needs to bat up the order, but SA has a strong batting lineup so don't see it happening.

A pretty terrible career thus far in ODI's...

It is seriously a ridiculous argument to compare this guy to Razzaq...Razzaq's a shot bowler but he will never be as bad as Albie Morkel...

Proof of how bad he is how well he has performed against us...he averages 24.10 with the ball of 6 matches...

And now the reason for my sarcasm...look at the rest of his performances...I've excluded Bangladesh and Zimbabwe...

His ODI bowling averages:
74.20 against Australia
50.50 against England
72.00 against India
66.66 against New Zealand
105.00 against the Windies

As far all all rounders go these have to be some of the worst bowling stats ever...and those stats are from 31 matches...

We really are terrible against terrible bowlers sometimes...we treated him like he deserved to be treated finally...

His batting is a joke too but is much better than his bowling...

Fortunately we have actually shown him up when hes batted against us...if you discount Bangladesh and Zimbabwe his average goes down to 17.60...

He averages:
12.25 against us
14.00 against New Zealand
11.25 against England
2.00 against India (albeit of 1 innings so a bit harsh to judge)

Like he only seems to be successful with the ball against us his only success with the bat is against the Aussies...a 26.16 with 8 innings and 2 not outs is pretty poor but is infact his most impressive set of averages...

To call him an all rounder is as inaccurate a statement that can be made...

Hes 29 too...when it comes to tried and tested failures they dont come much worse than Albie Morkel...

Last edited:

It is seriously a ridiculous argument to compare this guy to Razzaq...Razzaq's a shot bowler but he will never be as bad as Albie Morkel...

Proof of how bad he is how well he has performed against us...he averages 24.10 with the ball of 6 matches...

And now the reason for my sarcasm...look at the rest of his performances...I've excluded Bangladesh and Zimbabwe...

74.20 against Australia
50.50 against England
72.00 against India

As far all all rounders go these have to be some of the worst bowling stats ever...and those stats are from 31 matches...

We really are terrible against terrible bowlers sometimes...we treated him like he deserved to be treated finally...

Fortunately we have actually shown him up when hes batted against us...if you discount Bangladesh and Zimbabwe his average goes down to 17.60...

He averages:
12.25 against us
11.25 against England

Like he only seems to be successful with the ball against us his only success with the bat is against the Aussies...a 26.16 with 8 innings and 2 not outs is pretty poor but is infact his most impressive set of averages...

Hes 29 too...when it comes to tried and tested failures they dont come much worse than Albie Morkel...

Shaykh, brilliantly devastating critique of Morkel. Hope he doesn't read PP!

Shaykh, brilliantly devastating critique of Morkel. Hope he doesn't read PP!
I hope he does! If you guys think that getting rid of Misbah is tough, try getting rid of Albie. Having said that, he'll probably play a good knock tomorrow and keep his spot.

Last edited:
lol wow, never thought he was as bad as that.

I hope he does! If you guys think that getting rid of Misbah is tough, try getting rid of Albie.
Maybe he is part of SA's very own oath-taking group that Gibbs referred to. :kallis :malik

He never played a single knock against pakistan & struggled all the time , you can check his stats at cricinfo against pakistan :razzaq

He's terrible.

Only reason why South Africa are persisting with him as they feel the need for a hard hitting all rounder that could help them win the match (in terms of batting) in the death overs. Basically a razzaq or an afridi. Not as good as those two at all though.

Kallis is probably a better batsman and bowler than him anyway.

South Africa don't really need one so much as their top order is so strong. When it comes to the last few overs if they have lots of wickets in hand they can just go crazy.

He's terrible.

Only reason why South Africa are persisting with him as they feel the need for a hard hitting all rounder that could help them win the match (in terms of batting) in the death overs. Basically a razzaq or an afridi. Not as good as those two at all though.

Kallis is probably a better batsman and bowler than him anyway.

South Africa don't really need one so much as their top order is so strong. When it comes to the last few overs if they have lots of wickets in hand they can just go crazy.

Trust me Miller and Ingram are just as devastating as Morkel when he's on song - the difference is they can do it far more consistently. You guys have yet to see them when they really get going. With them in the side, we don't need Morkel.

Heck we may as well replace him with Davey Jacobs, seeing that they're the same age.

Trust me Miller and Ingram are just as devastating as Morkel when he's on song - the difference is they can do it far more consistently. You guys have yet to see them when they really get going. With them in the side, we don't need Morkel.

Heck we may as well replace him with Davey Jacobs, seeing that they're the same age.
They are. What I've seen of Miller, he could be a very good finisher. Ingram looks like a good batsman too.

Facts are albie doesn't bring much to the side really. Feels like the weak link in the South Africa side.

74.20 against Australia
50.50 against England
72.00 against India

He averages:
12.25 against us
11.25 against England

Shahzaib Hasan and Shahid Afridi have pretty strong cases there.

Morkel for unknown reasons has underperformed big time. He is a very clean striker when he gets going, but just doesn't get going most of the time.

Batting average 22 and bowling average 35, if he was Pakistani he would have been made captain.:afridi

Albie Morkel - Six hitting machine

Effortless six hitter.
Hit three sixes of 3 balls vs Ishanth sharma, last 2 landed on the roof. :19:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHG5m758So

[utube]NdHG5m758So[/utube]

Will upload few more of his big hits.

Last edited:
MORKEL RETIRES FROM PROFESSIONAL CRICKET

Wednesday, 9 January 2019

The big-hitting exploits of Albie Morkel will no longer be seen on cricket fieldS, after the explosive all-rounder announced his retirement today from all forms of cricket.

The stalwart and limited-overs captain has called time on an illustrious career spanning two decades with immediate effect.

In first-class cricket, Morkel amassed more than 4 000 runs in 77 matches, with a career-best unbeaten 204 against Western Province Boland in the 2004-2005 SuperSport Series. He also captured 203 wickets.

While success prevailed with the red ball, it was in the shorter format that he proved most destructive. Overall, his one-day career has seen him score in excess of 8 000 runs across both limited overs formats, while garnering 462 wickets.

The 37-year-old made his final appearance for the Sky Blues in October last year during the Abu Dhabi T20, where the Centurion franchise finished runners-up in the inaugural tournament.

Limited-overs captain since the 2015-16 season, he was a giant figure in the changeroom, with his quiet, but strong leadership inspiring others.

"Time has run out for me on the cricket field, and I would like to announce my retirement from the game. The last 20 years of my life took me on an incredible journey, with so many awesome memories that I will cherish forever,” he said.

"I would like to thank Jacques Faul and everyone involved at the Titans for giving me the opportunity to live my dream. The squad is in a healthy state and I’m looking forward to seeing the progress that the younger players will make. I will forever be a big Titans fan.”

Of course, his exploits for the Titans saw Morkel soon represent his country, making 109 appearances across all formats, with his ability with bat and ball winning matches and fans at international level.

" I want to say a big thanks to Cricket South Africa, because it was a huge honour to represent my country. Thank you to my family, friends, supporters and sponsors who were there for me through thick and thin, and most importantly my wife who played an unbelievable supporting role, allowing me to do what I love.

"Professional sport can be a ruthless space to operate in, and it’s impossible to do it without a solid support system. Thank you so much.”

Since his debut in 2003, Morkel’s influence at the franchise has been massive, and he was part of an era of significant dominance for the Titans, including a unique hat-trick of T20 titles.

"Albie has been an incredible servant to the Titans," Titans Cricket Chief Executive Officer, Dr Jacques Faul saluted.

"We want to thank him for all his years of sterling service, and for all the entertainment and success he brought to SuperSport Park. He was massively respected in the changeroom, and lived in the stands, and that is a tribute to not only his ability as a cricketer, but also as a person.”

Faul added that there would hopefully be a farewell match for Morkel, likely against a touring county side. In addition, he has committed himself to a Titans tour later this year.

"He deserves a send-off, and also a chance for the Titans fans to say a fond farewell. It wasn't just for Titans that he was a massive player, because he also served the Proteas with distinction," Faul added.

Morkel was an ideal T20 protagonist, and it is fitting that he will sign off in a format where he left an indelible mark domestically, as well as for several franchises around the world.

"He was one of the most destructive cricketers in domestic T20 cricket, and he will be really missed. We wish him all the best in his new ventures," Faul concluded.

As for what comes next, Morkel said he was excited to start a new chapter.

"Cricket has prepared me well for life after. There are some new opportunities on the horizon, and I’m looking forward to grow into those. I will be enjoying the game from the other side of the rope," the softly spoken star concluded.

Back