Analyzing Virat Kohli's performances in fine detail....

shaz619

ODI Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Is there a better batsman then Virat in such conditions? he absolutely thrives in such an environment and I expect him to cash in big time 9 times out of 10.

Loool Warner is much more of a FTB than Virat. At least Virat has century in Australia on a difficult pitch also one in South Africa on difficult pitch. Whilst most of Warners centuries have come on the roads in Australia.

Loool Warner is much more of a FTB than Virat. At least Virat has century in Australia on a difficult pitch also one in South Africa on difficult pitch. Whilst most of Warners centuries have come on the roads in Australia.

That was not a difficult pitch at all.

That was not a difficult pitch at all.

There was one pitch where it was difficult to bat, I think only Vijay and Kohli scored big.

Ask [MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] [MENTION=139664]street cricketer[/MENTION] [MENTION=68690]Statsman[/MENTION]

You weren't complaining when England was batting yesterday

When kohli bats on the same pitch, you have a problem. Cry me a river.

Pak batsmen have scored thousands of runs on such surfaces in uae.

As many posters have already outlined, it was a flat pitch with no lateral movement. For those reasons Virat and Vijay thrived, but Virat is significantly better on such pitches

It seems you're the only one who is crying and took this thread so personally perhaps out of insecurity, I merely outlined Virat's prowess in such conditions he is absolutely a treat to watch and so magnificient

As many posters have already outlined, it was a flat pitch with no lateral movement. For those reasons Virat and Vijay thrived, but Virat is significantly better on such pitches

Look at the 4th innings scorecard for the Adelaide test

Look at Adelaide test in the 2nd innings, only Virat and Vijay scored significant scores. Rest of India team fell like a pack of cards, Lyon.picked up 7 wickets.

Just because the others failed doesn't make the wicket a minefield

Just because the others failed doesn't make the wicket a minefield

If a spinner is picking up 7 wickets in Australia there must be something in the pitch also it was in the 4th innings in a run chase so it's not easy to bat on. Notice how as soon as he got out Indian team fell away like a pack of cards.

If a spinner is picking up 7 wickets in Australia there must be something in the pitch also it was in the 4th innings in a run chase so it's not easy to bat on. Notice how as soon as he got out Indian team fell away like a pack of cards.

They are crap at playing spin even Mo when he was green destroyed them on wickets which didn't have a lot in it, am not sure if I've ever seen a rank turner in AUS; assuming there was, the bowling should have been dealt with right given the nature of the turfs in India. It was a batting paradise by Indian standards and something you'd wish for the moment you walk out to bat in Australia you'd take such a wicket in a heart beat if offered

There was one pitch where it was difficult to bat, I think only Vijay and Kohli scored big.

Ask [MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] [MENTION=139664]street cricketer[/MENTION] [MENTION=68690]Statsman[/MENTION]

Adelaide 2nd innings was a Laraesque knock. Enuf said.

They are crap at playing spin even Mo when he was green destroyed them on wickets which didn't have a lot in it, am not sure if I've ever seen a rank turner in AUS; assuming there was, the bowling should have been dealt with right given the nature of the turfs in India. It was a batting paradise by Indian standards and something you'd wish for the moment you walk out to bat in Australia you'd take such a wicket in a heart beat if offered

Most of the pitches were flat yes, but scoring 4 centuries in Australia in 4 games is a good achievement. How many players get 4 centuries in Australia in there career?

Also the pitches were flat, how many current players would get 4 centuries in Australia over 4 game even on flat roads? We will be estatic if one of our batsmen gets 2 centuries in 3 games.

This. Even on the 3rd day, this pitch ('flat' by recent Indian standards) probably requires as much/more application than a day 5 pitch in the UAE.

But with Kohli out there, I'm sure the next argument will be that the pitch is miraculously 'better' to bat on than when Root, Ali and Stokes batted. :yk2

Btw Shaz if Younis gets a century in Australia how can you rate it seriously when you think Australian pitches are flat? It's not easy to score 100s in Australia for subcontinent batters.

I saw and know very well. No need to ask anyone. It was flat track. Players failed does not prove to be difficult pitch. It was not green mamba or rank turner or low. Flat track. That's why I don't rate performance of ind on that series at all. Very disappointed with the Aus think tanks.

Btw Shaz if Younis gets a century in Australia how can you rate it seriously when you think Australian pitches are flat? It's not easy to score 100s in Australia for subcontinent batters.

Aussie pitches are flatter then they have ever been in history, yet people will point out x,y,z when this point is highlighted.

I expect Kohli to get a hundred at the very least if not a double vs England right now, great start at the top and the conditions are beautiful; I loved that cover drive he played off Broad was text book stuff

I saw and know very well. No need to ask anyone. It was flat track. Players failed does not prove to be difficult pitch. It was not green mamba or rank turner or low. Flat track. That's why I don't rate performance of ind on that series at all. Very disappointed with the Aus think tanks.

It pretty much was a rank turner on day 5. The rough patch Lyon had to target outside right hander's off stump was crazy.

After uae, Australian pitches are the worst for test cricket

Aussie pitches are flatter then they have ever been in history, yet people will point out x,y,z when this point is highlighted.

But they are quicker than UAE's sloth-like pitches. Even though they are flat.

We all saw Kohli tackling Amir on a wicket where batsmen weren't even able to put bat on ball. He was hitting cover drives when the ball was swinging miles. Now you can say it was a T20 match. But you either have the ability to play the moving ball or you dont. Kohli clearly had that day. One bad tour of England cannot be used to pass judgement on an entire career

We all saw Kohli tackling Amir on a wicket where batsmen weren't even able to put bat on ball. He was hitting cover drives when the ball was swinging miles. Now you can say it was a T20 match. But you either have the ability to play the moving ball or you dont. Kohli clearly had that day. One bad tour of England cannot be used to pass judgement on an entire career

I'll give him credit for that, it was a gutsy performance. However I can't recall if Amir moved the ball away as much, Kohli's biggest problem has been the outswinger

So now we can have threads targeting one player? Cool. I have seen criticism of players when they fail but never when they succeed. Its a first

This wasn't intended to be a criticism thread, but it is welcomed. My goal was to appreciate his prowess on such wickets

He is just 26*, will get out on the first ball of Day 4. So, your theory is premature at the moment.

This wasn't intended to be a criticism thread, but it is welcomed. My goal was to appreciate his prowess on such wickets

The appreciation is not justified by calling him motorway king. Im sure there are a few guys in the pakistan team who deserves that tag better.

The appreciation is not justified by calling him motorway king. Im sure there are a few guys in the pakistan team who deserves that tag better.

Hmm there's Amir who would be worthy of the tag but then again he scored more runs then Kohli did in England, I've never seen a player as magnificent as Kohli on such witches absolute treat to watch him

Yes Kohli looks susceptible in Test Matches. That has to do with the demands of lots of T20s played today, which has modeled his batting in that way! (Scoring "maximum" in a given ball is the first priority compared to defending, which was almost opposite in previous eras) Otherwise he would have been as reliable as Sachin in the test team today!

I think Indian Test Win is not dependent on Kohli's batting, sure he is one of the main stay with the bat, but Indian test depends more on their spin department, collective batting & captaincy strategies in addition to decisive contribution from seam bowlers.

In India still we are formidable. If the pitch assists spin from day 1, we are almost in control (upsets can happen only in ODIs and especially T20s) Even if the pitch is flat our batsmen can balance it up as in this test match, and then even if there is slight chance our spinners can seize the opportunity on 4th/5th days. The loss to England at home in previous seasons was because of transition/unbalanced phase of the team. But this team looks in control at least at home!

Kohli is going to score a hundred tomorrow. He is too good a batsman to not score on this pitch.

"Motorway King Kohli" sounds like a service station on the M62.

I'll give him credit for that, it was a gutsy performance. However I can't recall if Amir moved the ball away as much, Kohli's biggest problem has been the outswinger

So just because he has an issue with outswinger,he becomes motorway king?

Even there he scored v Steyn in SA.

Totally different lasting three overs against a top quality pacer bowling with a white ball, with fielding restrictions in place and a whole different scenario when that bowler has no restrictions and has a red (or pink) ball in hand.

Why do you think the likes of Guptil and Rohit can average in the 40s in ODI cricket? It's because a batsmen's weaknesses can be shrouded in the LOI format.

As of now, Kohli only has one good innings in swing-friendly conditions, in Jo'Burg a couple of years ago.

Misbah and Younis khan are better than Kohli in such conditions.

So just because he has an issue with outswinger,he becomes motorway king?

Even there he scored v Steyn in SA.

Okay, after proving his worth against the in-swinger in a T20 game we have now classified him as a green top bully

When? Asia Cup? Where he was hardly able to face an over or two of Amir. He also had a LBW which was refused by the umpire, that doesn't make him great!
No matter how badly BCCI tries to make a hero out of him, its an undeniable fact that Kohli can never match Tendulkar's class for building innings on banana tracks.

The ongoing test pitch is not easy to bat on if that is what OP is trying to insinuate. It is batsmen's(from both sides) hard work that has paid off.

No pitch in that series was difficult. But yes, out of all the roads in that series, that particular pitch was the one that was least flat.

Totally different lasting three overs against a top quality pacer bowling with a white ball, with fielding restrictions in place and a whole different scenario when that bowler has no restrictions and has a red (or pink) ball in hand.

Why do you think the likes of Guptil and Rohit can average in the 40s in ODI cricket? It's because a batsmen's weaknesses can be shrouded in the LOI format.

As of now, Kohli only has one good innings in swing-friendly conditions, in Jo'Burg a couple of years ago.

I disagree with the point of guptil and rohit.

I feel they are more suitable to that format. Doesn't mean the LOI promotes weak players.

Generally sceince students are bad at writing poems. Does it mean science promotes less intelligent people?

Kohli's problems in test cricket is less to do with his inability to play in swinging conditions and more to do with his lack of concentration in the format.

Guptill and Sharma fail in ODIs on green pitches. Their averages are high due to cashing on flat pitches. Your logic is flawed.

No pitch in that series was difficult. But yes, out of all the roads in that series, that particular pitch was the one that was least flat.

That Adelaide pitch on day 4/5 against Lyon was not difficult?

It was the 4th innings as well so he deserves credit for that innings

The pitches in AUS were tailor made for IND style batting and for the first time in years unlike AUS pitches. Anyhow, Kohli missed out today; got a bit unlucky.

There should be no comparison of any pitches anywhere to that of UAE.UAE pitches are a disgrace for international cricket.I saw hardly 20 to 25 overs in total of all the 9 matches of Pakistan vs West Indies series wheres i watched the other 2 ongoing series daily.Infact i find UAE games really boring.No crowd, no good pitch.

The pitch of this first test between India vs England is not a slow dead one at all.It has bounce, good carry,enough spin and swing to make bowlers and viewers interested.Both English and Indians batted really well so far.If India hold on the dropped catches in first innings the score line would have been different.

Last edited:
Guptill and Sharma fail in ODIs on green pitches. Their averages are high due to cashing on flat pitches. Your logic is flawed.

There are less gree pitches in ODIs and thus they can maintain their nice averages in this format.

That Adelaide pitch on day 4/5 against Lyon was not difficult?

Are me and you, as an India and Pakistan fan respectively, really deeming a spell by Lyon difficult? Nathan Lyon is an average spinner and no, batting against him on a fourth day wicket is never difficult. However, Moeen Ali got 19 against India so I guess playing Lyon is difficult for them too.

I disagree with the point of guptil and rohit.

I feel they are more suitable to that format. Doesn't mean the LOI promotes weak players.

Generally sceince students are bad at writing poems. Does it mean science promotes less intelligent people?

If poetry was the most important and prestigious subject in the world, the answer would be yes.

It was the 4th innings as well so he deserves credit for that innings

He deserves credit for all his centuries in Australia. I just acknowledge that they came on some of the most flat wickets ever. So when people say things like "Kohli is better than any subcon batsmen on Aussie pitches", I laugh.

There are less gree pitches in ODIs and thus they can maintain their nice averages in this format.

Are me and you, as an India and Pakistan fan respectively, really deeming a spell by Lyon difficult? Nathan Lyon is an average spinner and no, batting against him on a fourth day wicket is never difficult. However, Moeen Ali got 19 against India so I guess playing Lyon is difficult for them too.

If poetry was the most important and prestigious subject in the world, the answer would be yes.

He deserves credit for all his centuries in Australia. I just acknowledge that they came on some of the most flat wickets ever. So when people say things like "Kohli is better than any subcon batsmen on Aussie pitches", I laugh.

Warne averaged 30 in Australia, while Lyon averages 33. Statistically, Lyon has been better than any non-Australian spinner in this century. On a 4/5 day pitch (and that Adelaide pitch was difficult from even earlier on), he is definitely a threat. I take it that you have not watched the match, so you do not know how Lyon bowled or how the pitch was behaving.

Pitches in Australia have been flat for decades. People who have watched cricket in Australia in the 70s/80s say that pitches were very flat back then too (that's why they rate players like Lillee highly, despite playing mostly at home). It is laughable to hear you say that these were some of the flattest wickets in history.

Last edited:
Warne averaged 30 in Australia, while Lyon averages 33. Statistically, Lyon has been better than any non-Australian spinner in this century. On a 4/5 day pitch (and that Adelaide pitch was difficult from even earlier on), he is definitely a threat. I take it that you have not watched the match, so you do not know how Lyon bowled or how the pitch was behaving.

Pitches in Australia have been flat for decades. People who have watched cricket in Australia in the 70s/80s say that pitches were very flat back then too (that's why they rate players like Lillee highly, despite playing mostly at home). It is laughable to hear you say that these were some of the flattest wickets in history.

I did watch the match, not all of that last innings for sure, and Lyon wasn't bowling anything that would trouble good players of spin who would be high on confidence. It was a good innings but not a great one, a tricky pitch but not a difficult one and I would expect any of the current good batsmen to do well there.

I did watch the match, not all of that last innings for sure, and Lyon wasn't bowling anything that would trouble good players of spin who would be high on confidence. It was a good innings but not a great one, a tricky pitch but not a difficult one and I would expect any of the current good batsmen to do well there.

Okay, let's continue this in January then.

Who cares when on every motorway he streamrolled the bullock cart of a odi bowling presented by Pak :))

2012,2014,2016 WT20,2015 WC....that Asia cup 180+ innings etc etc.

There should be no comparison of any pitches anywhere to that of UAE.UAE pitches are a disgrace for international cricket.I saw hardly 20 to 25 overs in total of all the 9 matches of Pakistan vs West Indies series wheres i watched the other 2 ongoing series daily.Infact i find UAE games really boring.No crowd, no good pitch.

The pitch of this first test between India vs England is not a slow dead one at all.It has bounce, good carry,enough spin and swing to make bowlers and viewers interested.Both English and Indians batted really well so far.If India hold on the dropped catches in first innings the score line would have been different.

You made a very sensible post in the wrong thread opened by a wrong OP.

But yes agreed

Well in that case Bishoo is also no real great spin bowler that could trouble any top Asian batsmen .... didnt really pan out that way ... did it ?

Point is these things happen. Infact I have seen far worse ... like for example Venkatesh Prasad picking more wkts than Waqar and Wasim combined in big WC matches. Doesnt mean that the Pakistani batsmen were useless. Nor does it mean Venky was a gun fast bowler. All it means was that he was good in big matches vs Pakistan. Ditto for Moen Ali in Tests.

Sure.

Eng vs Ind - 124 runs at 20.67

Eng vs Pak - 316 runs at 63.20

Or is that not what you meant?

I hope you're smarter than this.

Well in that case Bishoo is also no real great spin bowler that could trouble any top Asian batsmen .... didnt really pan out that way ... did it ?

Point is these things happen. Infact I have seen far worse ... like for example Venkatesh Prasad picking more wkts than Waqar and Wasim combined in big WC matches. Doesnt mean that the Pakistani batsmen were useless. Nor does it mean Venky was a gun fast bowler. All it means was that he was good in big matches vs Pakistan. Ditto for Moen Ali in Tests.

Yes, so if you agree that the Lyon 10-fer was simply a bad day, the match situation was not difficult. It was simply a case of complacency which made Lyon look way better than he is.

Hence, Kohli's innings was nothing special.

So now virat's adelaide chase is not special?

Shabaash.

Lol tbh I don't even know why people care about others' opinions so much.

Chapelli and Mark Taylor rated that innings as the best 4th innings knock they have ever seen. It's equally possible that someone may not rate that knock too. In any case, you can't "convince" someone to rate something they don't.:msd

So now virat's adelaide chase is not special?

It was one of the best knocks on very difficult turning track. Lyon was bowling very well and pretty much unplayable and that's why India lost as soon as Vijay got out. I was in fact predicting an Indian loss even when both were there because just one wicket was needed to have new batsmen facing Lyon.

Kohli plays bounce probably better than most subcontinent players. So far in tests he's struggled against lateral movement, and his ability to play on a tricky day 5 pitch on drop-in aus pitches doesn't change that. He still has ways to go to prove his mettle when the ball is doing a bit.

I hope you're smarter than this.

Yes, so if you agree that the Lyon 10-fer was simply a bad day, the match situation was not difficult. It was simply a case of complacency which made Lyon look way better than he is.

Hence, Kohli's innings was nothing special.

Ermm Not so fast ... that was in reference to your post about M.Ali. And Lyon had an exceptional day against India in that Test match at Adelaide. Just like Venky did in 96 and 99. So whoever played well on that day needs to get Credit but doesn't mean that Lyon is a Murali/Warne class bowler (yet) just as Venky wasnt a Waqar or Wasim class bowler But Anwar still needs to get credit for playing well against Venky and so should Kohli. You seem to believe that only great players are capable of bowling great spells and everyone else is just there to be scored runs off. Doesnt work like that in cricket and you should know better given how many modest Indian bowlers have made short work of great Pakistan teams in the past.

The Truth behind Virat Kohli's hundred's against Australia in Australia

Virat Kohli is a fine batsman, but he's also one who is overly hyped based on his 5 Test Match hundreds in Australia and accumilated this reputation amongst his followers of being a batsman who is a terrific away from home in challenging conditions. We've seen Kohli struggle on pitches with a bit of lateral movement and ever since that series in England he has rarely been tested. There is no better batsman in beautiful batting conditions which is why he is often called the Motorway King Kohli.

We will discuss the nature of the wicket where Kohli scored each of his hundreds in Australia, lets proceed.

116 vs Australia at the Adelaide Oval in 2012

It was a blazing hot day in Adelaide and conditions for batting were spectacular, this was confirmed on commentary by Tom Moody and Tony Greig; for anyone who watched the Test can also confirm this.

Michael Clarke won the toss and Australia chose to bat. "We'll have a bat, thank you," says Clarke. "It's 36-37 [degrees], it's going to be a fantastic batting track."

At the end of the first day India found themselves on 61/2 after Clarke had declared. The pitch had been brilliant to bat on all day and the following morning the wicket still looked fantastic from a batting perspective and the Motorway King Kohli would cash in to register his maiden Test hundred.

115 and 141 vs Australia at the Adelaide Oval in 2014

It was another beautiful day and wicket was a belter of a track, Clarke would again win the toss and elect to bat first. "The wicket looks fantastic, I don;t think I've ever seen a ground that looked as good as this," says Michael Clarke

"It's a pleasure for me, my first Test hundred was on this ground. Very special for me," says Kohli who was licking his lips at the idea of making use on a batting paradise of a pitch.

In India 1st innings their batting line up was a under some pressure due to the big total AUS put on but there were no demons in the pitch and Virat Kohli would make full use of the wicket. In the 2nd innings he'd casually make 141, admittedly it was an impressive knock given the rough which Nathan Lyon could exploit but the wicket itself was more Indian then Aussie, what we learned was that Kohli is okay against spin but then again that's of no surprise because you expect that with Indian batsman, even Ashwin is not so bad.

169 vs Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in 2014

The drop in pitch for this Test was hard and incredibly flat and Australia would elect to bat first, conditions would remain favourable for batting when India would get their turn on the wicket and Kohli would make 169; it might have been a flat wicket but he deserves credit for the knock he played.

147 vs Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 2015

Sunil Gavaskar doing the pitch report would say that it was a bat-first surface, on a pretty hot day. Just a hint of grass, and expected to turn later. After the Australian innings ended, India had about 25 overs to survive. India lost Vijay third ball of their innings but Rohit and Rahul have put on an unbeaten 71 after that. Australia put in a good shift but the pitch remained excellent for batting barring some turn and bounce for the spinner.

The next morning Ganguly would say "Still a very good batting surface. Not much rough yet, though there are some drier patches" And when Kohli got his turn he would make 147 making full use of the conditions.

Conclusion

While there is no doubt that Virat Kohli is a decent Test Bat and his performances in Australia were great. However, what is misleading is this idea that he had it tough in Australia and the conditions were against him. I'd describe the wicket during that series as good A/R Test pitches and many a time they replicated what you'd find in the subcontinent, great in the first half and then start to deteriorate providing the spinners some help. I also don't think that particular series put to bed his horror show in England as many suggested.

Discussion

In light of this analysis, we can safely say that Kohli was lucky enough to feast on Australian pitches good for batting but we must give credit where due as it was still an away series. It will be interesting to read some of your posts and the extent to which you agree or disagree with me but I hope that we can be objective.

Eye opening stuff, this. Just goes to show how misleading stats can be!

Great analysis .

Can you please go ahead and analyse his Hundreds in SA , NZ , SL and WI ? Cant wait !!

Flat pitch (it seemed india was playing on their home flat turf) and against worse bowling attack (no one was inform I think). Don't rate as 'in Australia' type. Though good knock at best I can say.

HaHaHa .... never knew his centuries in Australia hurt you so much. Get a grip over it. Your own Inzamam has just 1 century against Australia in both forms of the game during his entire career.

HaHaHa .... never knew his centuries in Australia hurt you so much. Get a grip over it. Your own Inzamam has just 1 century against Australia in both forms of the game during his entire career.
That time aus and their pitch were beast not like today's pathetic aus and pathetic pitches

Shaz did India win the series ??

Surely scoring so many tons in such a series must have been a match winning contribution ?:murali

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] vai, you are really overrating this topic by bringing again and again.

I don't care about the nature of pitches and opposition, when it comes to scoring hundreds in Australia, against Australia.

Shaz did India win the series ??

Surely scoring so many tons in such a series must have been a match winning contribution ?:murali

Just like your adopted hero Brian Lara's contribution in the 2001 series against Sri Lanka where he scored tons of runs, isn't it?

Back