Article about BDM bats

bigfan

Debutant
Runs
I found this article about the bat maker BDM.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ns-indias-cricket-gear-makers/article1897983/

While the article is not surprising to most of us, what I find surprising is his lack of business acumen, he seriously needs to get out of the 19th century mindset. Just because he owns the capital for production does not make him a competent businessman.

Just look at the photos of his factory/workshop
cricket08rb10_j_1174224cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb11_j_1174225cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb13_j_1174226cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb17_j_1174227cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb18_j_1174228cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb19_j_1174229cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb2_jp_1174230cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb20_j_1174231cl-8.jpg

cricket08rb3_jp_1174232cl-8.jpg

He should be more investing in his own factory and improving some of conditions seen in the photos.
However I take his point that it looks annoying (to me anyway) that players use fake stickers such as Hero Honda or Reebok on thier bats - it represents false advertising.

Thanks for sharing this bigfan, certainly appreciated.

As other said he needs to lift the standard of his work shop, I'm not sure if this is the case with all Asian manufacturers but the way things are happening in the pictures in the factory is miserably poor. If you want to become a top class company you need to have top class factory as well.

However, I agree with them regarding the bat maker not getting credit, I think this is where batmaker doesn't get credit which he should. I mean these manufacturers reserve the best willow they come across for international players and those players will not be propmiting there brand either and maybe those players get those bats for free. So if they sell those bats to regular people like us we will be opbviously be paying what it is worth and they will be getting there credit as well.

If they are that bothered then why don't they just brandish their logo on the edges like Bradbury and CA etc. and charge the professionals the going rate for the bat?

If they are that bothered then why don't they just brandish their logo on the edges like Bradbury and CA etc. and charge the professionals the going rate for the bat?

Those can easily be sanded off.

Or covered in tapes as most players do coz of their contracts.

BDM have lagged behind the rest coz they have never thought on modern grounds.

Their bats are some of the best in the whole world but the stickers are pretty poor.

BDM are also unhappy coz they are not exporting as many as the rest.

Most of the bigger brands have great factories etc. There is a video of Sondhi sports (not huge as SG or SS but makers for slazenger) on youtube- they are in Jalandhar Punjab.

Many of the newer factories have Office like environment.
People stop work on the dot for breaks etc- with free lunch and Tea breaks as well.

Where did u get those pics CD?

Those can easily be sanded off.

Or covered in tapes as most players do coz of their contracts.

BDM have lagged behind the rest coz they have never thought on modern grounds.

Their bats are some of the best in the whole world but the stickers are pretty poor.

BDM are also unhappy coz they are not exporting as many as the rest.

Most of the bigger brands have great factories etc. There is a video of Sondhi sports (not huge as SG or SS but makers for slazenger) on youtube- they are in Jalandhar Punjab.

Many of the newer factories have Office like environment.
People stop work on the dot for breaks etc- with free lunch and Tea breaks as well.

Where did u get those pics CD?

Yes, they could be sanded off but there are chances that a player might not be able to sand them, hence, he might leave them there and it will give publicity to the original bat maker.

I was at my local cricket store and the guy there was telling me that SG's Factory in India is something amazing and it is extremely well built and looks like a European/American style. Plus SS and SG have really big factories.

Actually when I was in Pakistan I saw few Slazenger (old model) and I was told those models were made by CA.

Actually bigfan got them.

I have seen few BDM bats (not a lot though) and I'm not sure if they were top end or low end but I didn't them find very good for some reasons. Do you think BDM bats are better than SS, SG and/or BAS ?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this bigfan, certainly appreciated.

As other said he needs to lift the standard of his work shop, I'm not sure if this is the case with all Asian manufacturers but the way things are happening in the pictures in the factory is miserably poor. If you want to become a top class company you need to have top class factory as well..
The workshops are fine, I worked in one for a few months. It was next door to this BDM workshop and in a similar condition, they're really not that bad.

They're advancing and using machinery, but the skill and passion of these guys making bats is second to none.

The workshops are fine, I worked in one for a few months. It was next door to this BDM workshop and in a similar condition, they're really not that bad.

They're advancing and using machinery, but the skill and passion of these guys making bats is second to none.

Ah okay, I'm not sure but I was hearing the other day that SG's factory in India is impressive, is this true?

What sort of machinery are these Asian manufacture getting? CNC like GM ?

Ah okay, I'm not sure but I was hearing the other day that SG's factory in India is impressive, is this true?

What sort of machinery are these Asian manufacture getting? CNC like GM ?
SG and FC Sondhi are impressive. SS have a factory like BDMs but are in the process of moving to a larger more advanced place.

Not as advanced as GMs but similar kind of tech.

I have seen Sondhi on YouTube and they look good, was told about SG by a shop keeper here and he was blown out by SG's factory lol.

Ahh okay, I remember seeing a video you made and Champ have a similar factory like BDM right ?

Do those machine shape the bats as well like CNC does for GM ?

SG and FC Sondhi are impressive. SS have a factory like BDMs but are in the process of moving to a larger more advanced place.

Not as advanced as GMs but similar kind of tech.

Oh a question regarding that are the softs made at that factory as well? I mean as we all know SS softs are the best in the world and if they are made at the place similar to the one pictured then it would be amazing lol

actually cd bhai after using both, i feel SG softs are better than SS...the leather quality on SG is superior....

Really?! I have never tried SG gloves but I have tried SS and use them too for nets and yaar these SS gloves are amazing so if you are saying SG is better than SS then I wonder how good SG ones will be ?!

Back