Ashton Agar - Australian Left Arm spinner

Chromeuser

Tape Ball Star
Runs
575821.html

Surprisingly Australia has selected (Ashton Agar) 19 year old left arm spinner of Sri Lankan origin for India series for his development and to play a warm-up match next week.

He has just played 2 First-Class matches.

Source

His coach Justing Langer said "Ashton reminds me very much of a young Vettori, he is very loose in the way he bowls and bats and fields. He is a very aggressive spin bowler. He spins the ball, he loops it up, he has got a good arm ball and he is looking to take wickets. That's a great combination."
source

Let's see whether he will be the next Vettori or other Tahir in the making.

Best of luck for this kid. Hope he comes out to be a good spinner.

Last edited:
Lets hope he's a youngsta beauty :waqar and not another overrated bloke who was hyped up just because he descended from Asia.

He's a promising young spinner but nothing more yet.

He's only played 2 games so he's benifitting from batsmen not knowing what he is all about or what he can do yet.

For his own sake I hope they don't pick him for T20/LOI let alone test squads for at least another year or two. He hasn't faced any tough challenges yet, let him learn first.

As for being hyped because of asian heritage- the only place I found out that was on these boards- in Australia it's becoming less and less important/talked about. So far whenever I see him mentioned in media it is simply "left arm spinner Agar".

A noticeable difference from when Khahaja was always mentioned as "Pakistani born New South Welshman Usman Kwahaja".

Good Sandgroper

He's only there as a nets bowler.

Ashton Agar in frame for India Tests

Ashton Agar's stay in India has been extended to take in Australia's major warm-up for the Test series as the possibility grows that he may be in line for an extraordinary international debut in Chennai.

Previously scheduled to depart for India once the full touring squad had assembled, Agar will now be considered for the three-day match against India A beginning on Saturday, and may yet have his time on the subcontinent expanded to include the Tests.

Only 19 years old and having played just a pair of Sheffield Shield matches for Western Australia following the shoulder injury to Michael Beer that ruled him out of this tour, Agar's left-arm spin has stuck in the memory of all who have witnessed his bowling in recent weeks.

His mature approach and skill in the field and with the bat has notably impressed the national selector John Inverarity, who is en route to India to discuss the composition of the team ahead of the first Test with the captain Michael Clarke and the coach Mickey Arthur.

"The plan at the moment is that he returns in time to play for Western Australia but there is a possibility that he could stay a bit longer," Inverarity told The West Australian. "We needed someone to make up the XI and it was a very good opportunity to invest an opportunity in a promising young player."

Inverarity's panel named numerous spin bowling options for the tour behind the incumbent Test tweaker Nathan Lyon, including the Tasmanian Xavier Doherty and the allrounders Glenn Maxwell and Steve Smith. Agar lost little by comparison to his more experienced slow bowlers when he delivered eight overs during a two-day practice match earlier this week, and now has a further opportunity to usurp his seniors.

In this there are parallels with Lyon, who was chosen for Australia's Test side in Sri Lanka in 2011 after only a handful of Sheffield Shield appearances for South Australia, and to date has played more than half his 35 first-class matches at Test level. In the absence of outstanding spin bowling talent bolstered by experience, the selectors have been inclined to flights of fancy, of which Agar would be another.

His spells for the Warriors against New South Wales on his Shield debut at Blacktown Oval were noteworthy against batsmen well versed in tackling spin, the wickets of Scott Henry and Peter Nevill gained through genuine turn and changes of pace.

Agar's Shield batting has also been useful, reaping one half-century and one other handy score in four innings so far. He went to India on the cricket equivalent of an internship, but is now a chance of making a most rapid graduation to full duties.

The West Australia pushing for the selection of a Western Australian player?
Who'd have thought?

I heard he's already guaranteed on the ashes tour- even if it has to an as an unofficial net bowler. They're really laying the red carpet out for this guy.

He's got good flight from what I've seen and also good control.

He does do more with the ball than O'Keefe.

I still believe he should be playing shield cricket though for a few years.

Here comes the Agar

Australia have given Test cap to an unknown commodity 19 yr old left arm off break ASHTON AGAR. This is what Daniel Bretting has to say about him

Ashton Agar has so far turned almost as many heads as he has turned cricket balls. At the age of 19 he has a place in the squads of Western Australia, the Perth Scorchers, and also the national team, having sensationally been upgraded from an internship on the 2013 tour of India to a more expansive role in Michael Clarke's squad. Agar's rapid rise continued when he was included in Australia's XI for the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge in 2013.

Of Sri Lankan background and possessing a frame 187cm tall, Agar has the pedigree and the physical attributes to suggest his left-arm spin will be successful, impressing many on his first-class debut for WA against New South Wales at Blacktown Oval. He had been Australia's second spinner behind Ashton Turner at the 2012 Under-19 World Cup, but developed quickly in Perth after being plucked from under the noses of state selectors in Victoria, where he was raised. An intelligent, considered young cricketer, Agar has also aspired to a career in the law, though a degree with Deakin University has been deferred due to his burgeoning cricket commitments.

148147.1.jpg

SL background??
Full name Ashton Charles Agar

Born October 14, 1993, Melbourne, Australia

If this kid is of SL backgorund then :don was English :p

148147.1.jpg

SL background??
Full name Ashton Charles Agar

Born October 14, 1993, Melbourne, Australia

If this kid is of SL backgorund then :don was English :p

Just like how many posters on here talk about Bopara, Panesar and Patel being Asian because their families are from Asia...

I believed Clarke always had a lot of faith in poor ol' Gaz Lyon. If this decision was made purely to counter KP, then Australia have made their first bad decision of this series.

I believed Clarke always had a lot of faith in poor ol' Gaz Lyon. If this decision was made purely to counter KP, then Australia have made their first bad decision of this series.

This

Feel bad for Nathan.

It reminds me too much of the Hauritz/Doherty sitaution

Best of luck to young kid. GO and bamboozle the Poms,chefs,roots, cooks,trots, buttlers, bells, priors, broads, shorts, swans, ducks :jadeja

Felt sorry for the kid, too raw for test cricket let alone the biggest test series in world cricket. Couldn't get his length right throughout the innings.

Just seems like it is a case of anybody other than lyon for the powers that be, maxwell and doherty in over him was a joke and for this series if ahmed had bowled alright in the warm ups he would have been in instead they picked a kid.

Can't be many bowlers who have been dumped after taking a 7 for in the previous test.

Last edited:
Don't see the issue with dropping Lyon for Agar.

We don't lose much with the bowling and gain a lot with the bat.

I think he is not bad for a 19 year old . I would not say Test material so early but has potential .

Blimey - if this lad could bowl, he'd be an all-rounder!

AgAr ..CoOL buddy... Compelling me to watch Ashes even if I don't like it dat much :D

Maybe he should be batting in the top 6 for Australia!

2ND Highest scorer at the moment.

the advantage of selecting youth. That we showed the rest of the world and cant be bothered with ourselves!

Next sanath Jayasuriya, he also started as a front line spinner.

Should probably change title to Ashton Agar - Australian Left Arm batsman

To think that some of you thought his selection was a mistake

Australia are making a habit out of trolling their opponents, by introducing spinners who actually turn out to be quite handy Batsmen. Steve Smith did something similar to us back in 2010.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2

To think that some of you thought his selection was a mistake

Still has to deliver with the ball though. Looked good early then struggled big time. Spin will play a big part in the coming days.

Agar? Number 11? Wow the game has moved on a bit...dont remember No 11's playing shots like that

What an innings! This guy can be Australia's Jadeja :)))

Kidding, he's talented! :)

Deserved the 100 feel gutted for the kid but nevertheless an innings to remember.

Extremely unlucky but what an innings and may actually win them the match but Aussie top order is horrible.

Top knock but still got a job to do with the ball.

It's a bit like the cricket equivalent of Ivan Drago. Nobody has heard of him and he comes in and bats like KP, delivering knock out blows to England's chances of winning the 1st test.

When he was on 6 I told my buddy he should bat ahead of Haddin in this batting line-up. Great to watch the interactions with his family - brothers are apparently good upcoming cricketers.

His batting involved a lot of luck today. Reminds me a bit like Stuart Broad. Terrible left arm spinner.

Absolutely delighted for the young man.

Youth has no fear sometimes. He went into bat in a very difficult situation and showed very few nerves.

His batting involved a lot of luck today. Reminds me a bit like Stuart Broad. Terrible left arm spinner.

Man,you are very tough on the kid. He did have some luck, but that is what you expect on that pitch when the most of the top order from both the teams were in shambles. Did you see how assured was he, when the bowl was directed towards his body, at times ducking very late and seeing the ball out or steering towards third man from the chest length balls or fearlessly taking few on the body. Played couple of glorious drives and nice pulls and other attacking shots. He is batting on his debut and the team under the pump, do you expect a No.11 in that situation to play flawless innings like Sir Don?

Great innings by the kid. Wish him lot of success.

Fighting knock from the kid, he's a better talent than Steven Smith. Should move up the order, the kid has potential. I am a fan

If you are a hater then hate but don't lie...

It was a decent batting with almost no edges/loose shots... and a legendary performance for a no. XI vs a very good attack

Obviously an excellent prospect for Australia. He has a range of shots, and puts big revs on the ball, around 2100 RPM to Swann's 2300.

A really nice lad too - humble and pleasant.

khawaja will b cursing himself after seeing cowans dismissal

Perhaps Khawaja should have made some runs. The number 11 on debut did what Usman has proved unable to do in international cricket. Maybe Usman can bat 11 in the next game.

Put him in top order in next inning.

Aussie top order doing a good job shielding the real batsmen down the order :))

I hope he is not another Steve Smith or Cameron White in making. Some of the shots he played were all class.

Langer said Agar could marry one of his daughters

Ashton Agar

Is a good young bowler better than Sohag Gazi,scored 98 on his debut was a develping bowler but Australia used Fawad Ahmed in LOIs which I think is foolish and Fawad is not a good bowler.

Your views

You seem depressed that Gazi performed brilliantly.

This thread would not have existed if Gazi was a Pakistani.

have you read that all? I was against Fawad too and scoring 100 and getting hattrick?
David Willey who was a bowler was promoted as an opener in t20 game scored 60 runs and took hattrick

The timing of this isn't on.

Ashton hasn't played a game for Australia for months and you are bringing him up purely to undermine Gazi's performance.

Stop finding loopholes in a clearly brilliant effort. Hundred and hattrick in the same Test. Fantastic.

He has had a really bad season so far in the Aussie domestic summer.

His bowling average has risen to almost 40 in first class cricket now alongside his 124 test match bowling average.

Back