Asia Cup 2023: Shubman Gill and Rohit Sharma shine as India defeat Nepal by 10 wickets to seal a Super 4 Berth

Just checked the scorecard. How did Ind let these guys get to 200 already? I thought Siraj was better than this given the hype.

Nepal did well. I thought they would be bowled out for 180-ish.

Nepal - 227/7 (47 overs).

If India lose today and gets knocked out the tournament, will ACC move the remaining matches in Pakistan?

#JustAsking

:kp

I am not sure if I should be really impressed with Nepal or unimpressed with india

Nepal should try to reach 250. That can give their bowlers something to defend.

250 on this ground is not a bad score.

There is enough total now for Indian batting to spend time in the middle. Ideal opportunity for Gill to get back into form.

Don't judge him based on today's game. He is really good.
Not judging but just seems bit over. Started sledging after getting tonked for couple of boundaries. I have hardly seen top nations sledging minnows.

One game is enough to judge?

Didn't Afg scored some 250 odd opening partnership other day against Pakistan? :sneaky:
Let’s see in upcoming matches. But now what’s your take would Pakistan have chased 266?

Sompal gave away his wicket in the end, otherwise Nepal were looking good for 250.

Lol Siraj is playing his first game after quite a few months. Of course, he will take some time to get back into rhythm.

It is not for no reason that he was the no.1 ranked ODI bowler not too long ago.

Looks like an easy chase coming for India. Glad they put some runs on board so that our top order gets some much needed practice.

Dpnt really expect nepal to win this. Gonna be easy chase for india

But still i will be hoping for a miracle

Easy chase but looks like Nepal is going to make them work hard for it ! They've already made a good impression by making all of us think twice if india is going to win.

Awesome yorker from Siraj....whattay bowler...best in the business as they say 👏
Ma sha Allah. Siraj bhai needs some improvement, not good to give away 60+ runs against Nepal.

So if India loses this one, rest of Asia cup can be shifted to Pak?

Gill is still deciding if he's on strike with the nepal or the mosquitos
3 fours, good ones by Gill

Nepal scoring 200 + against Ind bowling was expected. They erred in losing wickets. DL could have given them a slim chance later in the evening. Even DL won't save them now for losing all 10 wickets,

This cup would have been a good preparation for all the teams for the world cup..because of Indian arrogance it is getting ruined..makes me happy that so far both of the Indian games was rain inturepted.

This cup would have been a good preparation for all the teams for the world cup..because of Indian arrogance it is getting ruined..makes me happy that so far both of the Indian games was rain inturepted.
But they have also got batting practise in one match and bowling outing in the other lol

Play to resume at 22:15 local. 23 overs | target: 145!

Could India lose?

This will make things exciting

145 should be a walk in the park.

But an Indian loss would be hillarious.

A good opportunity for Kohli and Sharma to get some runs as they are shot against any world class bowlers.

145 should be a walk in the park.

But an Indian loss would be hillarious.

A good opportunity for Kohli and Sharma to get some runs as they are shot against any world class bowlers.
Only Rohit gets cleaned up by left arm pacers.

Kohli's record against Pakistan shows that he loves Pakistani bowling.

Only Rohit gets cleaned up by left arm pacers.

Kohli's record against Pakistan shows that he loves Pakistani bowling.

They are both in serious decline. Of course they will score big once in a blue moon but if I were an Indian fan, I would want them both to retire before the World Cup. In the knock out games, they will hurt India.

Match Report: India vs Nepal – Match 5

In a riveting encounter that saw rain interruptions, India convincingly defeated Nepal by 10 wickets in a game shortened to 23 overs in the second innings. The triumph was a testament to the prowess of India's opening pair, Rohit and Gill, who showcased their dominance against Nepal's bowling lineup.

After a commendable performance by Nepal's openers, their middle order stuttered, leaving them about 30 runs short of what could have been a challenging total. The Nepal captain, Rohit Paudel, expressed his thoughts post-match, lamenting the missed opportunity by the middle order but appreciating the consistent performance of the lower order in recent matches.

Just when India's chase started gathering momentum with Rohit and Gill at the crease, rain played spoilsport, halting the game after 2.1 overs. The ground staff's commendable effort ensured that the match resumed, setting India a revised target of 145.

Both Rohit and Gill exhibited exemplary cricketing skills and a sound understanding of the conditions. Rohit showcased aggression against Nepal's spinners, reaching his half-century in just 38 balls, while Gill followed suit, getting to his fifty in 47 balls. The duo complemented each other brilliantly, with Rohit preferring the aerial route and Gill focusing on boundaries. Shubman Gill reflected on this synergy in his post-match comments, acknowledging the contrasting yet complementary styles of play he shares with Rohit.

Gill's disappointment from his dismissal in the previous game seemed to fuel his determination, as he played with intent and purpose. By the end, the Indian openers chased down the target comfortably with 17 balls to spare, marking a 10-wicket victory.

Nepal's bowlers, especially with the new ball, posed challenges to the Indian openers. Karan and Komi were particularly impressive in the early stages. However, as the ball got older and conditions favored the batsmen, the Indian duo took charge.

Gulsan Jha, the right-arm medium pacer, and Kushal Malla tried their best to stem the flow of runs, but the Indian batsmen had answers to all their deliveries. Jha did surprise Rohit with a couple of deliveries, but the experienced batsman handled them with aplomb.

Despite Nepal's spirited performance, India's superiority was evident throughout the game. The Indian team's resilience, especially during the chase, was too overwhelming for Nepal. This win further solidifies India's reputation as a force to reckon with in world cricket.

They are both in serious decline. Of course they will score big once in a blue moon but if I were an Indian fan, I would want them both to retire before the World Cup. In the knock out games, they will hurt India.
That is true. For Rohit, he should be dropped after WC.
Jaiswal should be drafted in ASAP along with Gaikwad. Gill must bat one down and Kohli at No.4.

Good comeback by the two Indian openers. Let's hope they don't continue their form when we play them next

Rohit Sharma:

"We can't really look too much into these two games, one was washed out, but luckily we got to bat in the first game and bowl in this one. We haven't been at our best, but a few guys are coming out after months out of the game. Once we move ahead in the Super Fours, there's no room for complacency. First game, under pressure, Hardik and Ishan got us into a good position. Today our bowling was okay, but fielding was bad"

Ravi Shastri:

"The approach, at the very beginning, those catches going down. The body language seemed flat. It took those three catches to wake them up. By that time their openers were going well, Jadeja came and stemmed the rot," Ravi Shastri said on Star Sports.

"Put in to bat which had a little bit of moisture and had something for the fast bowlers, I think Nepal did an outstanding job. They will take that score."

He also praised Nepal's batting against heavyweights India. "They went after the bowling. They hot those sixes. Immediately 50 was on the board and the confidence was rubbed off on the middle-order and the lower order. This showed in the last five overs that showed there. It's great. From Nepal's point of view, just think if the crowd that came here. First time the Indian crowd has been outnumbered,"

India bowling and field was just like street cricket team. Surprised to see professionals field in such a way.

Back