Asia Cup 2023: Sri Lanka (257/9) beat Bangladesh (236 all out) by 21 runs

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
So, no reserve day for this game although the weather forecast seems to indicate that we will have a game.

==

Preview

It isn't often that seven matches into a tournament, the teams are set to play the rest of the tournament in an all-new venue. After Multan, Pallekele and Lahore, the Asia Cup now moves to Colombo, where the remainder of the matches will be played, including the summit clash on September 17.

Sri Lanka have won both their matches. It's easy to be misled by this statement, until you take into account that they struggled to chase down a paltry total of 165 against Bangladesh, only managing to win it by five wickets. In the next game, they nearly allowed Afghanistan to get away with an improbable heist, only to deny them by 2 runs in the end - partially down to lack of information for the Afghanistan team.

With Afghanistan almost gunning down 292 in 37.1 overs, Sri Lanka's bowling is a concern, with only two bowlers going at less than 7 runs an over in the game against Afghanistan. The solidity of the top order was called into question in the chase against Bangladesh, but the batting, in general, has got the job done as a unit.

Bangladesh have had serious concerns regarding their batting, particularly outside of the experienced pair of Mushfiqur Rahim and Shakib al Hasan. Nazmul Shanto, who scored a hundred and an 89, was ruled out of the tournament due to a hamstring niggle, which has seriously hurt Bangladesh's batting.

The bowling has shown a lot more potency and heart, but at this stage, a complete performance is the call of the hour, with consistency.

When: Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, Super 4, Match 2, 3:00PM local time/IST

Where: R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

What to expect: If we ignore the 80% chance of showers in Colombo, the track is typically sluggish to start with, before it flattens out and assists batsmen, but offers ample assistance to spinners too. However, with the rain coming into play, and a new venue that will host the next six matches, we might well see a slightly more unusual Colombo track, made to hold up for the last six games of the tournament.

Team watch

Sri Lanka

Despite the two close encounters in the tournament, Sri Lanka haven't lost a match, and are likely to continue with the same XI in Colombo, unless forced by injury.

Bangladesh

Despite the debacle against Pakistan in the Super 4s, Bangladesh is likely to back their XI. Mustafizur potentially returning after sitting out due to a knee niggle may be the only change in the Playing XI.

Squads:

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana, Dushan Hemantha, Pramod Madushan, Binura Fernando, Kusal Perera

Bangladesh Squad: Mohammad Naim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Litton Das, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Towhid Hridoy, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Shamim Hossain, Afif Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Hasan Mahmud, Mustafizur Rahman, Nasum Ahmed, Mahedi Hasan, Tanzid Hasan, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Anamul Haque

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Difficult to see anything beyond a SL win today (as long as rain holds off) but a Bangladeshi win would really throw the group wide open.

So the news from the ground is Bangladesh have won the toss and have opted to field.

Dasun Shanaka - We would have batted first, it'll seam and spin a bit under lights. The rules in ODIs mean it's difficult to defend totals, but we do have class bowlers like Pathiran and Theekshana, that helped us fight back against Afghanistan. The talk is about trusting yourselves and following the process. The guys have been delivering and that's key to being a good side. Same team for us.

Shakib Al Hasan - We will field first, no particular reason, there could be some rain around. We have one extra bowler and we will bowl first. A must-win situation, but playing against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka isn't easy. There is no room for complacency, it's a bit different to Pakistan and we'll have to adjust. One change, Nasum replaces Afif Hossain

Bangladesh (Playing XI): Mohammad Naim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Litton Das, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Towhid Hridoy, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Shamim Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Hasan Mahmud, Nasum Ahmed

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana

May rain stay away.

SL need to win this game and one against India/Pakistan (to be in the final and mess up Jay Shah's plan).

Good start for sri lanka. after 2 overs 16 without any loss. May the rain stay away and we have a good match ahead.

Looks very poor crowd. This is Colombo and Cricket is reasonably popular here.

BD seamers have got early movement but haven't always been able to control it.

The lack of crowd is indeed very disheartening. Perhaps an indication of SL's economic woes ?

Dimuth Karunaratne is gone for 18. The first wicket is down for Sri Lanka.

BD seamers have got early movement but haven't always been able to control it.

The lack of crowd is indeed very disheartening. Perhaps an indication of SL's economic woes ?

I reckon as the day goes on the crowd will build up. As what happened in Lahore
But perhaps the weather forecast got local disinterested

Bangladeshi left arm spinners are getting a fair bit of turn.
If there is a game vs India tomorrow, do we recall Nawaz?

There has been assistance in this pitch for both spinners and pacers but SL's top 3 seem to lack that higher gear.

Drinks are on the field now. This is a solid start on a difficult pitch - the ball jagged around for the pacers, it's turning for the spinners and Sri Lanka has lost just one wicket so far. This pair setting the platform for a good total. After 17 overs, Srilanka is 80 for 1.

This pacer Hasan from Bangladesh looks good.

Reminds me of Asif Ali.

Nissanka gone, Shoriful gets him LBW from around the wicket
Lanka 108/2 after 23.2 overs
A bit slow, yes, but they have built a good foundation to get a big total here

i've got to give it to the ground staff. The ground has been under water since the last few days and yet the pitch and outfield is still playable

Samarawickrama looked like he's been batting on another pitch. Good fifty.

What is the par score in this pitch? Definitely not 250+ I guess

We have been critical of Pak spinners but don't think their counterparts from other countries have fared much better in recent times. May be it's the effect of 2 new balls from both ends in ODI's

SL finish 257-9.

Samarawickrama's 93 (72) is my innings of the tournament so far just factoring in the conditions and the steady loss of wickets at the other end.

SL finish 257-9.

Samarawickrama's 93 (72) is my innings of the tournament so far just factoring in the conditions and the steady loss of wickets at the other end.

1694265614205.png

Wow, the bowlers are really keeping it tight! 😮 Shanaka and Rajitha are on fire 🔥. Mehidy and Naim need to step up their game if they wanna get that scoreboard ticking. 🏏

BAN 33/0 (6.1)

That punch through point was smooth. 😎 But man, Naim's gotta pick up the pace, too many dot balls. Rajitha and Shanaka are keeping it tight! What's the plan, BAN?

BAN 45/0 (8.5)

Again there's early movement with the new ball but SRL seamers haven't made the most of it.

Terrible effort from Srilanka with the bat. BD bowling attack is average at best.

This looks like a 320 range pitch.

Terrible effort from Srilanka with the bat. BD bowling attack is average at best.

This looks like a 320 range pitch.
It's not. There was seam and turn on offer throughout SRL's innings. Not the quickest track either.

I don't know what Naim's control % was but he could've been dismissed about half a dozen times before that.

If Srilanka can get Shakib quickly, they should be favs. At the moment, BD still looks good to take this comfortably.

This Naim Sheik has to be the worse player to open for BD since 2011 WC. Hopefully this is the last of this pathetic player with ultra zero technique and cricketing IQ.

Seems like every match Bangladesh have to lose wickets softly to get some dopamine! Mehidy well set and played that like an actual tailender! Naim Sheikh born to get set waste deliveries and get out softly!

Worst opener I've ever seen from BD. Terrible batsman
Worse opener ever seen since 2011 IMO. Should be the last of this moron.

Soumya Sarkar is miles better plus bowls. Yes he hasn’t been in form but Soumya still possess the big hitting threat unlike Naim Sheik.

Seems like every match Bangladesh have to lose wickets softly to get some dopamine! Mehidy well set and played that like an actual tailender! Naim Sheikh born to get set waste deliveries and get out softly!
And add Shakib to the list of soft dismissals. Big wicket for SRL.

Collapse has started with Naim Sheikh! Story of Bangladesh cricket.

You can almost bet your mortgage on BD to collapse once one falls!

Shakib that was a lazy dull shot with zero footwork. Dude do you have to play at every ball!!!! Where is the leave! These bd batsmen never learn! They want to feel every ball.

Shakib's out? Big win for Pathirana. Now it's on Litton and Mushfiqur. BAN at 65-2, game's still open

BAN 73/3 (16)

Liton Das the key to this chase.

Come on Dada! Need a special inning!

Pathirana bowling quick, hit 146 kph. Underrated lad for sure

Shakib that was a lazy dull shot with zero footwork. Dude do you have to play at every ball!!!! Where is the leave! These bd batsmen never learn! They want to feel every ball.
Do you have any update regarding

Mahmudullah ?​

Srilanka has one of the best bowling attacks when all of their main bowlers are healthy.

Pathirana bowling quick, hit 146 kph. Underrated lad for sure
I think his arm might be even lower than Malinga's.

He'll cause some trouble with his unorthodox action but whether his body can sustain that in the long-term is the question.

Do you have any update regarding

Mahmudullah ?​

He is still playing, not retired and available but apparently they masterminded selectors and some arm chair experts think Mahmudullah bats slow and isnt upto the fitness. From what I last seen of Riyad he looks fine. His experience in them tight intense situations still very much valuable for BD which these new comers cant handle.

I think it could be Haturu the Lankan coach who doesnt want Riyad and wants to get rid of old players. If he had it his own ways he probably would’ve got rid of Shakib and Mushy too but he knows there’ll be uproar and he’ll lose his job.

Game over. Das out. Another nothing shot! Not needed as it they are playing t20! Want to play at everything!

BD forgot how to bat in ODI’s. Afghan match was rarity recent times. BD NOW a better T20 team than ODI.

He is still playing, not retired and available but apparently they masterminded selectors and some arm chair experts think Mahmudullah bats slow and isnt upto the fitness. From what I last seen of Riyad he looks fine. His experience in them tight intense situations still very much valuable for BD which these new comers cant handle.

I think it could be Haturu the Lankan coach who doesnt want Riyad and wants to get rid of old players. If he had it his own ways he probably would’ve got rid of Shakib and Mushy too but he knows there’ll be uproar and he’ll lose his job.
Don't have words to explain
BD spolied great classical batsman he was too good against pace. He is 37 now i think it's over for him.

BD were cruising in the PP before throwing all four wickets away.

On a slow pitch they just needed to bat sensibly.

20 overs in and BAN's 84-4? Pathirana's making it tough for Hridoy and Mushfiqur. Something's gotta give.

28 overs in and BAN's 112-4. Hridoy and Mushfiqur both sitting at 17. Dhananjaya's keeping it tight, but no breakthroughs yet. Game's still wide open!

Bangladesh require 113 from 93 with 6 wickets in hand. Could be interesting if Bangladesh take this deep

If srilanka doesn't get any wicket soon so its going to be tough for them to defend the score.

Mushfiqur Raheem is a key wicket here.

I hate the occasional change in camera view. I just want to see the standard view and enjoy the match as it should be.

Shanaka night with the ball gets even better as he gets the crucial wicket of Mushfiqur Rahim. This could be the most important moment in this match.

Mushfiq didn’t need to do that he should have batted through the innings. Tawhid would attack once he got 50 anyway. Mushy needed to stay the duration!

6th wicket down for Bangladesh but Towhid Hridoy is still fighting hard and this match is pretty much on his shoulders now. 77 runs needed off 50 balls.

Mushfiq didn’t need to do that he should have batted through the innings. Tawhid would attack once he got 50 anyway. Mushy needed to stay the duration!
Mushfiq was well set and he had to make a move. Don't think there was any other way to go about it with a climbing RRR.
He was eyeing that hit over mid off but couldn't quite time it.

I hate the occasional change in camera view. I just want to see the standard view and enjoy the match as it should be.
Yes, I totally agree. they should just show side on views for replay deliveries

Big wicket for Lanka as Bangladesh lose Hridoy for 82
61 required from 40 now with 3 wickets in hand

Towhid Hridoy was on 37 off 60 balls and now he finished at 82 off 97 runs. It was a superb innings by him but I don't think it will be enough for his team to win this match. 58 runs are now required off 38 balls with 3 wickets to go.

Back