Aston Villa FC | 2024/25 Season

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 2024–25 season is the 150th season in the history of Aston Villa Football Club and their sixth consecutive season in the Premier League. In addition to the domestic league, the club will also participate in the FA Cup, the EFL Cup, and for the very first time the Champions League. Their last participation at the top level of European Club Competition was in the European Cup of the 1982–83 season.

Aston Villa Fixtures​

1720876422937.png

1720876440686.png

1720876458813.png

Amadou Onana is undergoing an Aston Villa medical today ahead of completing transfer a from Everton thought to be in the region of £50m.

Villa winger Diaby close to £50.4m Saudi switch

Aston Villa winger Moussa Diaby is poised to complete a move to Al-Ittihad for around 60m euros (£50.4m).

The 25-year-old has travelled to Saudi Arabia to have a medical and finalise the deal after just a season at Villa Park.

Diaby joined Villa from Bayer Leverkusen for a club record, reportedly £51.9m, last summer but manager Unai Emery has decided to cash in on the France international.

It comes after the club re-signed Jaden Philogene from Hull, paying around £13.5m for the English wideman this month and they feel the academy graduate can make a big impact on his return.

Diaby made 54 Villa appearances, scoring 10 goals, and helped them finish fourth in the Premier League to qualify for the Champions League.

Villa are reshaping their squad ahead of the new season and sold midfielder Douglas Luiz to Juventus for £42.35m last month.

They signed both Samuel Iling-Junior and Enzo Barrenechea from the Italian club, while left-back Ian Maatsen arrived from Chelsea for £35m and winger Lewis Dobbin from Everton for around £9m. On Tuesday, Villa also completed the £50m signing of Everton midfielder Amadou Onana.

BBC

Villa legend Shaw in serious condition after fall

Aston Villa legend Gary Shaw is in a serious condition in hospital after falling and sustaining a head injury, reports BBC Radio WM.

The 63-year-old helped Villa win the 1981 league title and the European Cup in 1982.

Shaw, a former England Under-21 striker, also played for Blackpool, Walsall, Kilmarnock and Shrewsbury Town.

He has worked as a statistical analyst since retiring from football in 1992.

BBC

Martinez banned for 'offensive behaviour'​

Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez will miss Argentina's next two games after being banned by Fifa for "offensive behaviour".

The suspension relates to two incidents in 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Colombia this month.

Martinez repeated his infamous celebrations after the 2022 World Cup triumph by holding a replica Copa America trophy against his crotch following the 3-0 win over Chile on 6 September.

The match was Argentina's first since winning the Copa America in the United States in July.

On 10 September Martinez hit a camera with his gloves as a cameraman approached him on the pitch after the 2-1 defeat by Colombia.

The Argentina Football Association said it disagreed with the suspension but that Martinez was "responsible" for his actions.

He will miss the qualifiers against Venezuela and Bolivia in October.

Martinez won the Golden Glove award for best keeper at the 2022 World Cup and placed the trophy near his groin after the presentation.

Source: BBC

@shaz619

Villa vs Bayern 1982 Cup final re-run in 1st game at Villa park

View attachment 145969

HI HO Aston Villa! The atmosphere is always electric at Villa park, but tonight was something else. Back where we truly belong, at the highest level! Bayern tried to rough us up all night but you need to do more to open us up, I celebrated that off-side like a mad man, though that long ball worked again and what a world class finish from Duran who has been brilliant this season so far and Martinez saved us at the end there with some high quality saves, his hamstring wasn’t an issue was it for that last one 🤣 I am tearing up, it’s nights like these that you support your team for and boy has it been a long wait.

HI HO Aston Villa! The atmosphere is always electric at Villa park, but tonight was something else. Back where we truly belong, at the highest level! Bayern tried to rough us up all night but you need to do more to open us up, I celebrated that off-side like a mad man, though that long ball worked again and what a world class finish from Duran who has been brilliant this season so far and Martinez saved us at the end there with some high quality saves, his hamstring wasn’t an issue was it for that last one 🤣 I am tearing up, it’s nights like these that you support your team for and boy has it been a long wait.

Congrats.

What a win for Villa. I wonder if we kept Emi Martinez, if we'd have won silverware earlier under Arteta.

Full credit to Emery for pulling this off against Bayern.

Great win for the villa. Low block clearly frustrated Bayern and Kane once again in a big game goes missing.

Well done and brilliant win, good you enjoyed your night

Emery has now beaten Bayern at home with PSG, villareal and villa in CL

Congrats.

What a win for Villa. I wonder if we kept Emi Martinez, if we'd have won silverware earlier under Arteta.

Full credit to Emery for pulling this off against Bayern.

It’s hard to say because he was largely inactive with Arsenal wasn’t he, either on the bench or on loan?

Somebody like Martinez and his ego need to be put in the spotlight / challenged, and I think with our club who are probably the most hated in the midlands anyway and have had to fight from underneath for so long, has suited him and his personality. He had the armband yesterday as well with McGinn sitting out due to injury for some extra motivation.

Well done and brilliant win, good you enjoyed your night

Emery has now beaten Bayern at home with PSG, villareal and villa in CL

Need to take the form into the EPL games because we’ve been very very sloppy at the back so this was promising, though am not taking any credit away from your win against us.

Emery stepped into the circle of fans which once threw a cabbage at Steve Bruce during the championship days not so long ago, and now he has bought us here. He has a decent european record and hopefully there will be more nights like this.

Great win for the villa. Low block clearly frustrated Bayern and Kane once again in a big game goes missing.

Kane actually didn’t look terrible like he does for England tbh dare I say a lot more threatening, but the midfield let him down imo

Kane actually didn’t look terrible like he does for England tbh dare I say a lot more threatening, but the midfield let him down imo

Kanes movement was non existent. Kane should be every thing what Olli Watkins is off the ball, but isn't.

Bayern have some of the outstanding talent in Europe in Musiala, pavlovic , Sane, olisse. And if the focal point offers nothing, then it can be difficult. But credit to villa.

Back