August 6th, 1997 - When Sri Lanka scored 952 runs

Useless considering it was a draw, is this the highest test score by a team in an innings ?

SL should have batted till they got 1000 runs!

Useless considering it was a draw, is this the highest test score by a team in an innings ?

Yup and Lanka holds the record of highest innings total in all 3 formats.

Test: 952
ODI: 443
T20: 260

Lols, When Tendunkar declared, he was probably thinking of an easy victory :yk

Yup and Lanka holds the record of highest innings total in all 3 formats.

Test: 952
ODI: 443
T20: 260

The other two are understandable, but the test record is pathetic, should have gone for the win, look at Mahanama's strike rate.

The other two are understandable, but the test record is pathetic, should have gone for the win, look at Mahanama's strike rate.

The draw was on cards because they were at 322/1 at the end of 3rd day means still 205 runs behind India so on 4th day they didn't tried to accelerate their RR and it was clear that they were playing for draw now...

Check Dravid SR too...

Last edited:
To be fair, it came against an absolute joke of a bowling lineup. Not a single decent bowler(before someone points out Kumble in there, the test was played in SL and Kumble outside India = spin Mohammad Sami).

Nilesh Kulkarni making his debut, took a wicket in his very first over in international cricket and then bowled 69 more overs without another wicket in the innings!

I was watching that match live on tv. I sincerely wished to see Sanath breaking the record as that was only thing to expect in that match. Never seen such a flat pitch ever before. India batted batted and bored and then declared, then the Lankan show. Nilesh Kulkarny got Attapattu's wicket in the very first ball he bowled in test cricket. Mongia missed a simple stumping chance of Mahanama when he was in 90s. Anyway, after the match Ranatunga had to hear a lot of criticism for playing for records.

One of the rare matches when no wicket fell for 2 days in a row. I don't think this has happened before this match or ever since.

how good/bad was Abey Kuruvilla, cricinfo list him as fast medium??:adnan

Abey Kuruvila, in his early 20s (i.e. early 90s) was regarded as the fastest pacer in the domestic circuit (faster than Sreenath). He was pretty much expected to get selected along with Sreenath, something which never happened. Instead guys like Prasad got chances beore him. Finally when Tendulkar got the captaincy, he was selected and he was nearing 30s by then. Did decently in favorable pitches of West Indies, but very mediocre in dead pitches and slowly vanished from national team.

Speed bowlers will be forced to be swing bowlers in India by the coaches and captain and most of them ends up nowhere. He is one among them (like Munaf Patel, Ishanth Sharma)

(before someone points out Kumble in there, the test was played in SL and Kumble outside India = spin Mohammad Sami).

During the 2nd half of his career, he did pretty well in Aus, SA and WI. Don't recall him doing too much in Eng though.

Abey Kuruvila, in his early 20s (i.e. early 90s) was regarded as the fastest pacer in the domestic circuit (faster than Sreenath). He was pretty much expected to get selected along with Sreenath, something which never happened. Instead guys like Prasad got chances beore him. Finally when Tendulkar got the captaincy, he was selected and he was nearing 30s by then. Did decently in favorable pitches of West Indies, but very mediocre in dead pitches and slowly vanished from national team.

Speed bowlers will be forced to be swing bowlers in India by the coaches and captain and most of them ends up nowhere. He is one among them (like Munaf Patel, Ishanth Sharma)

thanks for comprehensive reply.

Let me put it this way. I'm related to this guy and I always hide this fact from the world.

How come? He's a lot better than you, me or anyone else on this forum.

Man, that is a lot of runs, the bowlers who took part in that match must still be having nightmares.

How come? He's a lot better than you, me or anyone else on this forum.

Just a silly (in hindsight) way of saying he was pretty poor by the time he played.

Man, that is a lot of runs, the bowlers who took part in that match must still be having nightmares.

Dravid in particular was quite upset after the game and felt it was almost sadistic the way the Indians were kept on the ground for that long.

There were plans in place to do a repeat on the Lankans a couple of years later - didn't come to fruition though.

Just a silly (in hindsight) way of saying he was pretty poor by the time he played.

Dravid in particular was quite upset after the game and felt it was almost sadistic the way the Indians were kept on the ground for that long.

There were plans in place to do a repeat on the Lankans a couple of years later - didn't come to fruition though.

ans this was precisely the reason they didnt declare.

Lekin yahan kabhi kisi ne koi dhung ki cricket kheli ho to samaj aaye ke yeh draw haar ke barabar hi hai for players jo woh match khel rahe thay

Twenty years ago today...

Just saw the scorecard and saw Mahanama made 225 at a SR of 40. :misbah3

Watched the match. Was probably the most boring Test I've ever watched. I remember Sachin saying after the match that such pitches serve no purpose.

i watched this match. was soooo boring.

Watched the match. Was probably the most boring Test I've ever watched. I remember Sachin saying after the match that such pitches serve no purpose.

I watched the match on TV and quite enjoyed it TBH.. As a young kid that time without any alternate sports to watch, watching cricket matches was a luxury.. I remember quite the buzz in our friend circle/school about the total/Jayasurya's innings..

Ofcourse today I can't bear to even think of watching such a match but at that time it was quite enjoyable for a lot of people.

No hype please. Abey Kuruvilla was a trundler bowling at 125 kmph at the most, as was noticed when he made his international debut where matches had speed guns. He was a slower version of Venkatesh Prasad rather than a faster version of Srinath.

Last edited:
At one point the SL score stood at 615-1.

It reminds me of the English County season of 1990 when they got rid of the Reader balls and the batters ran riot all summer.

Back