Australia [288] defeat West Indies [273/9] by 15 runs in ICC World Cup 2019

What is the point of Carlos Brathwaite? Living off that one over for 3 years now..

Smith and warner return,and Starc gets his reverse swing back

Last edited:
Starc was my favorite and he is still

The real king is back with a boom when it matter the most

How many yorkers pakistan bowl? Look how deadly is starc with them at start and at death. Our bowling plan is flawed as we look for straws while defending 350. Australia defended less than 300
He also bowled 2-3 full tosses, it's not always the best choice unless you are really good at it and even then it can go wrong.

Now average bowlers can bowl all day to tail enders without worrying about chase. Finch o
Played a masterstroke with starc

How many yorkers pakistan bowl? Look how deadly is starc with them at start and at death. Our bowling plan is flawed as we look for straws while defending 350. Australia defended less than 300

Starc bowled quite a few full tosses to be fair, just Windies lower order were too shell shocked to put them away.

Nurse has regressed beyond words. He wasa decent hitter a year or 2 ago.

In what universe is he a Goat. He isn't even the best bowler currently that would be bumrah. Let alone compete with likes of akram and McGrath and others.
That ugly action bowler and world's best haahaa okay patriotic Indian.He is not even fit to tie Mitch starc's shoelaces.

That ugly action bowler and world's best haahaa okay patriotic Indian.He is not even fit to tie Mitch starc's shoelaces.
Yes that's why he is the current icc no 1 bowler and starc 21st not to mention he doesn't need sandpaper to help him take wickets.

Congratulations Australia, man they played like world champions. Whoever beats Australia will win the cup, you heard it here first :holding

Strange batting from Nurse. If he is capable of hitting four boundaries in as much deliveries why did he tuk tuk in second last over ?

Yes that's why he is the current icc no 1 bowler and starc 21st not to mention he doesn't need sandpaper to help him take wickets.

Starc has played 7 matches after CT and two in this WC

Aussies won’t be making the same mistake they did against West Indies. Only opportunity to beat Aussies are gone and now they will crush every opponent. England may have won and scored 400 + against a weak Aussie team. With Starc & Cummins back it will be hard to even score 300

because starc did not play much.
So a guy who does not play much is considered a Goat cricketer. Also he did play tests we saw what happens to little Mitchell when Sandoaper goes out of supply.

So a guy who does not play much is considered a Goat cricketer. Also he did play tests we saw what happens to little Mitchell when Sandoaper goes out of supply.

comeback when bumrah win icc wc man of the trounament

WI should blame themselves for this after restricting Australia to 72/5.

Aussies won’t be making the same mistake they did against West Indies. Only opportunity to beat Aussies are gone and now they will crush every opponent. England may have won and scored 400 + against a weak Aussie team. With Starc & Cummins back it will be hard to even score 300
England can smash them just like they did in ct2017 knockout match & in Australia odi series against same starc & cummins.

comeback when bumrah win icc wc man of the trounament
So yuvraj is a goat too because his bowling was crucial in winning 2011 wc? Is McGrath not a better goat because he picked more wickets in 2007? So how many goats are there, surely there should only be 1.

Epic choke of west Indies From 37 needed in 30 balls to 32 require in 6 balls.

Australia [288 AO 49 ov] defeat West Indies [273/9 50 ov] by 15 runs in ICC World Cup 2019

Anyone who has just recently grown up or just started to watch cricket, I tell you that this is what people mean when they use the term "The Australian fighting spirit." An amazing comeback into the game from a pretty hopeless situation is itself inspiring, but to have won it makes it even greater. Hats off to smith and of course Coulter-Nile. I never knew that he could bat so well!

Today´s match constantly reminded me of something: a long time ago, Greg Chappell remarked that whereas only those batsmen are classified as "selfish" who bat slowly, but those who aren´t ready to compromise with good bowling, difficult pitch or conditions, tough circumstances etc. for the sake of the team just because "That´s the way they play", are equally self-centered. The more I grow up and gain experience of watching cricket, the more and more I come to agree with this theory of Greg. Maxwell and a few others played absolutely atrocious shots, and that´s where I love a player like Steve Smith. People like him and for example Dhoni prove that you don´t necessarily need a good technique to survive, you just need brains and a willing heart. Kudos to him!

Full respect to the West Indies for such a hard-fought contest, but I must add that Australia have kind of showed what the keys to success against them are: when batting, just build a partnership. Just don´t give them a wicket regardless of what run-rate you´re going at, and see their shoulders drop. And when bowling, just keep putting strings together of dot balls - especially boundary-less balls. Either way, full credit to the West Indies for finally having brought a team to an ODI World Cup, after a long time, which isn´t there just as a punching bag.

In general I´d say that the World Cup has been going great right from the day Bangladesh beat South Africa. I´m slowiy falling in love again with cricket. I want to revoke my divorce!

Lastly, congratulations Australia! Well batted, well bowled and as always, very well fielded!

Finch captaincy was excellent in this game. Smith and Coulter Nile innings were the difference. Once Hope was dismissed, I think that was the turning point.

Most of these WI players are T20 stars.
50-over games require a lot more tact and patience which they lack.
Trying to hit sixes of starc with the likes of coulter nile and stoinis still to bowl.

I see glimpse of old australian team, which were passionate. Reminds me of time, when andy bichel scored more than 50 runs when australia were suffering against england (if i recall that right) in an ODI. In those times, you couldn't get australia out cheaply as there was always someone in the middle order, or from tail ender who could score big for them. That's a sign of passion & belief, which you don't learn from training. It's in your blood.

Australian all-rounder Nathan Coulter-Nile produced the highest score in ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup history by a number eight
His innings helped Australia recover from 79/5 to eventually record a 15-run win against the West Indies

Nathan Coulter-Nile’s prediction that he would face a barrage of short balls from the West Indies was hardly outlandish but the Australian all-rounder’s insistence that he was ready to cope with it ended up looking downright prescient as he set a World Cup record.

After the defending champions began their campaign with an untroubled victory over Afghanistan in Bristol, Coulter-Nile spoke briefly about his role as the team’s first-change bowler, entrusted with following Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins.

Having promised full-blooded aggression from the Australian fast bowlers in their second match against West Indies, Coulter-Nile said that as a batsman he fully expected similar tactics from the opposition.

The 31-year-old from Western Australia then added with a smile that he thought he could deal better anyway with short-pitched balls than he would if he had to face straight deliveries.

How right he was.

At Trent Bridge, after West Indies had reduced Australia to 79/5, Coulter-Nile dealt effectively with everything, short or full, that the Caribbean quicks hurled at him to score 92 from 60 deliveries, including eight fours and four sixes.

That tally was not only his best one-day total but also the highest by someone batting at number eight at an ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

To underscore the value of his contribution, a statistic released during the match said the average score by an Australian number eight since the 2015 World Cup had been 16.3.

Yet the start of Coulter-Nile’s innings could hardly have been less auspicious. He left his first delivery from Andre Russell which shaved the off-stump and top-edged the second with an attempted pull which fell harmlessly on the leg side.

A pushed drive for four and a wafted leg-side boundary restored his composure and he brought up his maiden international one-day half-century with a six off Carlos Brathwaite.

He survived a dropped catch on 61 before smiting consecutive sixes off Brathwaite. He was finally caught by captain Jason Holder off the same bowler four runs short of what would have been an ODI record for a number eight.

His innings, though, would not have been possible had it not been for the tenacity and relentless concentration of Steve Smith against an unremitting barrage of short-pitched bowling from the West Indies pace quartet of Oshane Thomas, Sheldon Cottrell, Brathwaite and Holder.

The West Indians regularly clocked around 140 kph and extracted nasty bounce from the pitch in the early part of the Australian innings.

Smith swayed inside the bouncers but he did suffer a painful blow to his right hand when a hostile delivery from Thomas forced him on to the back foot.

Batsman and bowler glared at each other briefly and Smith took off his glove to examine his forefinger, flexing it several times before deciding he did not need any treatment.

After Australia took the field having posted an impressive 288 following their early struggles, Coulter-Nile replaced Cummins to bowl the eighth over with West Indies at 41/2.

He conceded boundaries off the last two balls and his first four overs cost 20 runs. Returning for a second spell, two more overs went for a further 18 runs and, after conceding boundaries from the last four balls of the match, he eventually finished with 0/70 from 10 overs.

But more importantly, the Australians had completed a typically determined comeback to win by 15 runs.

Coulter-Nile has been troubled by frequent injuries and has also faced stiff competition for a place in the Australian pace unit against Starc, Mitchell Johnson and Josh Hazlewood – with James Faulkner the first choice as all-rounder.

He was given an opportunity to clinch a place in the World Cup squad when Starc and Hazlewood were injured during the Australian summer and was ultimately selected ahead of the latter, even following his return to fitness.

It may not have been his best day with the ball but Coulter-Nile’s match-winning innings at Trent Bridge will surely have clinched his place for the duration of Australia’s World Cup campaign at least.

Only Australia could do this nonsense. Even at 100 odd with 5 wickets down Smith and Carrey were still playing positively with confidence.

That is why they have more WC wins than any other country.

On paper England might have the superior team, but Aus has never sent a WC team that didn’t have the mental toughness.

6 June - Nottingham - West Indies Captain Jason Holder post-match press conference

Q. Jason, at one point it was looking that the West Indies would go on and cause Australia a lot of problems. To not beat them from such a strong position, does it feel like you've really missed an opportunity there?
JASON HOLDER: Yeah, we definitely missed an opportunity. I just think that's sport. We've just got to learn from it. Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to be losing a game like that when we're in full control of the game, but these things happen.

Q. What does it mean to have a base attack like you have right now, to be able to call upon them, and how far do you think they have to go to sort of match the base attacks of before, and there's been a lot of nostalgia that they've raised?
JASON HOLDER: Yeah, I think the bowlers are bowling really well at the moment. The good thing for us is that we've been getting some early wickets and we've been able to get wickets in the middle as well. I just think we just need to be aggressive, continue to be aggressive, smart aggression, and just continue to look to take wickets.

Q. Andre looked to be in some discomfort with his knee again towards the end of the innings, and you also sort of were cramping up. Any health issues?
JASON HOLDER: Yeah, we've got one or two niggles in the camp. Obviously Andre has been struggling with his knees for a long time now. It's just something we just try to manage. We just try to manage him as best we possibly can and keep him in the park. I'm fine.

Q. Four DRS referrals, a lot of confusion. Is the system working? Did you have any concerns with the standard of umpiring or how that played out? It was bizarre.
JASON HOLDER: I think I'll just say I just found ourselves a bit unlucky to be on the other end of all the decisions. I guess honest mistakes from the umpires, I don't want to get into the officiating part, but it's just ironic. I don't even know what to say about it, but it is a funny situation where all of them went against us, and then we had to review them, but I guess that's part of the game again.

Q. From 4 for 38 or whatever Australia were there early on, do you kind of feel like you let the game slip there?
JASON HOLDER: No, not really. Partnership is just a part of cricket. I thought Steve batted really well, and the guys came in and batted around him. Alex Carey played a really good knock, as well. Also, Nathan Coulter-Nile, he came on, he was very, very positive. Things were even very early on and we put him down, I think 60-odd, which in the end proved a little bit costly for us.

But having said that, I think, yeah, would I really like to continue to take wickets? But it didn't happen for us today, but I think there are lots of positives for us today. I think we showed a lot of aggression up front to basically rattle their top order. But you know, again, partnerships do build in cricket, and it's well played to Australia.

Q. Just on Mitchell Starc, I think he might have ended up 3 for 1 off his last couple overs there. How hard is he to face when he's got the ball and he's bowling?
JASON HOLDER: I think he bowled well. You know what you get with Starc. He comes back and he goes quite full. Credit must be given to him. He came back and really bowled a really good spell. I guess it was just his day today.

Q. I believe the ball before Chris Gayle was out, as well, it was actually shown to be a no ball. If that had been called, also, that would have been a free hit. Is that frustrating to learn, as well, mate?
JASON HOLDER: I saw it on the screen in the dressing room, and I just laughed, man. I couldn't believe it. But again, I guess things didn't go our way today.

Q. Are you just a little concerned about the game awareness of some of the batsmen in the middle order? As you said, it is a missed opportunity, but at the times at which they got out, how do you rectify that?
JASON HOLDER: I think learning just need to take place. Guys just need to learn from the mistake that they make. Take a little bit more responsibility, and chasing especially, you just need to take responsibility, and it's important that one of the top four batters be there at the very, very end. I think one of the things we can take from the Australians' performance was that Steve batted quite deep and that's something we need from our top order. I think Shai Hope has been outstanding in that regard, but it didn't go his way today. I think credit must be given to Australia. I thought they came back and bowled really well with the old ball and credit problems for us. We had to decide what we wanted to do in terms of playing it, or taking it on or just knocking it around. But credit must be given.

======

Steve Smith’s approach to batting is a lesson West Indies can learn from according to captain Jason Holder after watching his side fall agonisingly short in their chase at Trent Bridge.

Holder’s side came within 15 runs of reaching the 289-run target set by Australia and were ahead large parts of their chase, having reached 190/4 within 35 overs.

But Mitchell Starc had other ideas, becoming the main instigator and finishing with a five-wicket haul as West Indies struggled for late runs, with the top order getting out at regular intervals having made threatening partnerships.

That was in contrast to Australia’s Smith who countered his side’s own batting difficulties with an anchoring role, occupying the crease for close to three hours in scoring 73 from 103 balls.

That, coupled with Nathan Coulter-Nile’s power hitting in a 60-ball knock of 92, proved the difference in Nottingham, with Holder hopeful his premier batsmen can take stock for the rest of their ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup campaign.

“We definitely missed an opportunity in that game, we can learn from it, but we’re disappointed to have lost from that point,” said the captain.

“Partnerships are a big part of cricket and we saw Steve [Smith] do that alongside Alex Carey and then Nathan Coulter-Nile. They played positively, we put Coulter-Nile down on 60-odd and that proved costly.

“Guys need to learn from their mistakes and take on the responsibility, especially in a chase. One of the top four needs to be there at the end and we saw Steve Smith do that.

“Steve batted quite deep and needed to, Shai Hope has been outstanding in doing that for us but it didn’t go his way this time.

“But you have to give credit to Australia, they played very well.”

As they did against Pakistan on the same ground in their ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup opener, West Indies’ fast bowlers profited early with Sheldon Cottrell taking two wickets to help reduce Australia to 38/4.

This time, however, their opponents found form with the bat as partnerships developed, Smith and Coulter-Nile taking Aaron Finch’s side to 288 before being bowled out.

It looked like being a reachable total before Starc took over with 5/46, including three wickets in his last two overs.

Indeed the entire bowling unit kept it tight – Coulter-Nile the only man with an economy rate beyond six-per-over – a fact that earned plenty of praise from Holder.

“Starc bowled very well, you know what you are going to get with him, he bowls quite full and had a really good spell at the end,” he added. “Credit must be given to him, he had a really good day.

“As a team they came back with the old ball and bowled really well, they created problems for us and we had to decide whether to play the shots or knock the ball around.

“They asked questions of us and that’s what you have to give them credit for, we weren’t quite able to get over the line at the end.”

Mitchell Starc revels in Australia finding a ‘new way to win’

Winning while not at their best is a major positive to take for Mitchell Starc, after Australia made it two victories from two by beating West Indies by 15 runs at Trent Bridge.

Jason Holder’s side once again shone with the new ball to reduce Australia to 38/4, yet the reigning champions eventually recovered to post 288 batting first, thanks largely to Nathan Coulter-Nile’s 92 – an ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup record for a number eight.

It seemed that wouldn’t be enough when West Indies piled on the partnerships, with both Shai Hope and Holder scoring fifties as they entered the last ten overs needing 68 to win and four wickets remaining.

But Australia came roaring back with Starc at the forefront to take 5/46, helping his side to their second win of the competition.

Not that the 29-year-old saw a complete performance from his side.

“We haven’t played awesome cricket in that game, we played well in patches but we can get better in all three areas of the game,” said the left-armer.

“It’s exciting to find new ways to win, Coults [Coulter-Nile] played very well to get us to a competitive total.

“You always have to be confident in those situations, it was touch and go for a while. We always had the belief, there is lots of good bowling in our line-up and we were only a couple of wickets away.

“But then they were only a few sixes away, so it was a really good, competitive game of cricket.

“In international cricket you have to back yourself, but you’re not going to win them all.

“Sometimes you don’t get there but I enjoy the challenge, we have a group of bowlers capable of doing that – that’s a fantastic option to have at the World Cup.”

A positive group performance it may have been but Starc himself earned plenty of plaudits, unsurprising given the five-wicket haul that lit up Nottingham.

Those scalps included set batsmen Holder and Andre Russell, who had threatened to take West Indies home with 68 needed from 60 balls, though trapping opener Chris Gayle lbw proved the major early blow.

At 29, the left-armer boasts plenty of ODI cricket and with the memories of the last ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup still fresh in his mind, the experience of victory four years ago seems to be paying dividends.

“I was confident of defending that total. I’m pretty clear and calm in my approach, hopefully that’s a sign that even when games are in the balance, I can stay calm,” said Starc, who was named Player of the Tournament in 2015 after taking 22 wickets.

“The experience of four years ago plays a part but for guys who can bowl at the death we have a lot of options.

“I’ve had some good battles with Chris [Gayle], we know he’s a major weapon for them. He finds the gap, hits over the top, he’s a man who looks for boundaries so it was nice to get him out.

“We’ve got India next up and we’ll go away and have a chat as a bowling group and control what we can control. We’ll look to play to our strengths and the conditions and see what we can do.”

=====

Q. You were in a bit of trouble when you came on for that last spell. Were you feeling the pressure or confident you could do the job?
MITCHELL STARC: Yeah, you've always got to feel a little bit confident, don't you. It was probably touch and go there. Look, we've always had the belief there, and we've got plenty of good bowling in our lineup, and we know we've got guys that can bowl at the death. We were always only a couple of wickets away, and at the same time they were probably only a few sticks away from taking the game away from us. Fantastic game of cricket today.

Q. Mitchell, it feels like you really have to grind it out at times. How satisfying is that?
MITCHELL STARC: Yeah, it's satisfying. It's also exciting that we haven't probably played awesome cricket today. We've probably played some really good cricket in patches, but there's definitely things we can get a lot better at in all three facets, so that's exciting for the group, finding ways to win and being five for not many and seeing Coults strike them the way he did was fantastic for him and for the group to get us to a competitive total that we felt pretty confident in defending. Yeah, plenty of positives to take from today.

Q. Is this a World Cup thing? You seemed to rise to the occasion pretty well.
MITCHELL STARC: Yeah, the boys were taking the pebbles from me just before, as well. No, look, I guess I've been pretty clear and calm in my approach to cricket in the last few months, and hopefully that's a sign today that even when it's probably in the balance, I can stay calm. Yeah, I guess having that experience of four years ago probably helps play a part, but as I said before, we've got guys that can bowl throughout an innings and bowl at the death, plenty of options for Aaron to go to when called upon. Yeah, another positive today for us to be able to defend that total, but obviously we had to get there with Coults first, which was fantastic.

Q. Can you just talk us through that early entertaining contest between you and Chris Gayle? And were you aware that the ball before the wicket ball you overstepped considerably?
MITCHELL STARC: I didn't until about five minutes ago when someone told me. I'm normally pretty close, and I've actually been a fair way back for the last few weeks. Yeah, I didn't know I was over there, but someone told me about five minutes ago that I was a fair way over. Got away with that one, fortunately.

Q. And the contest?
MITCHELL STARC: Yeah, I've had some good battles with Chris over the years, and he's obviously a major weapon for them, and we just saw a little glimpse of it today, how strong he can be when he strikes that ball. He's so strong, and I guess he finds the gap hitting over the top, doesn't he. Yeah, he's a huge weapon for them, and we knew that going into this contest that they're going to have a few really big strikers and lots of boundaries, which he's one of. Yeah, but we were very fortunate to get him early enough to put them on the back foot again with the new ball.

Q. You didn't play against India in March, but what did you learn from watching that series and from watching them against South Africa yesterday that you can take into Sunday?
MITCHELL STARC: I don't remember watching the series at home (laughter), but if I did I don't remember it.

Q. How do you bowl to Kohli?
MITCHELL STARC: Look, it's different conditions again. We're playing at The Oval. I guess taking a little bit out of how they played against South Africa yesterday; they played pretty well. I didn't see too much of their batting. I watched their bowling.

Look, we go to The Oval tomorrow. I don't think we'll be at the ground but we'll be there the day before and have a look at conditions there. I guess talking about a bowling group, for us it's to continue talking about what we do really well and what we can control. We know they're a fantastic team. They've got depth in their batting, they're strong throughout. Virat is obviously one of their key batsmen. Rohit scored a hundred, as well, so we'll have a chat about them as a bowling group, but at the same time we've got to remember what we can control, and that's -- I guess that's our strengths and where we want to bowl to the conditions, as well.

Q. You performed well with the ball at the death there, did you enjoy the increased pressure?
MITCHELL STARC: Yeah, you've got to, I think, in international cricket. It's something I enjoy doing, bowling at the death. You're not going to win them all, and there's going to be times where you go the journey or where you don't quite get your team over the line. But I think that's what I enjoy about the challenge of that.

As I said before, we've got a group of bowlers, even guys who didn't play this game, who are capable of doing that, and that's a fantastic option to have throughout a World Cup. We know we're going to have to through along 15 guys to win the World Cup, and me personally, I enjoy working at it and enjoy doing it for the team when called upon.

Yeah, I guess the yorker for me is one I've probably gone to more often than not in the past, as well. So whilst they'll know it's coming, as long as I keep executing it, hopefully it's going to be better for me than them.

Q. Where did Nathan's 92 come from?
MITCHELL STARC: He's been hitting the ball really well. Steve Smith actually said his batting has improved out of sight. But for a few of us who have seen him strike the ball, whether it be in the nets or in series at home gone past, he's such a clean striker of the ball, and he hit some fantastic shots today. And as I said before, without his 92, it would have been a real battle for us with the ball. So full credit to him. He was fantastic today with Smudge obviously taking a bit longer and probably taking a bit more of a cautious approach with Nathan swinging pretty hard there.

Q. And what was the chat like in the dressing room when it was 38/4 and you had another tough experience at Trent Bridge, like what you experienced last year?
MITCHELL STARC: I wasn't here last year, so -- yeah, it wasn't too quiet. Everyone was still pretty upbeat and confident. We knew -- obviously knew we had a lot of work to do, but we've got guys who bat throughout. We've got Pat Cummins, who's been striking the ball really well batting at 9. Yeah, I think it was just try and absorb some pressured air and take it deep and see what we could get to.

I guess having a brief chat about it, we thought anything over 200 we could potentially defend, so to get even closer to 300 was fantastic, and as we saw just before, it was lucky we got that many due to Coults, that they did that quite well and we had to bowl really well. Yeah, there are heaps of positives to take out of today.

Q. What is your take on the West Indies' base attack?
MITCHELL STARC: They're quick, and they like the short ball. My chest still hurts a bit. But yeah, look, they bowled really well to have us five for not too many. They bowled fast and aggressive, and I guess that's West Indies' attacks of old. That's fast, aggressive stuff, up around the nose of the batsman, hitting them on the body or something in the helmet, as well.

Yeah, look, it's going to be a huge weapon for them going forward in this World Cup, and yeah, like I said, a great positive for us to come at the end of this game with a really good result for Australia and plenty to learn from.

Q. Given the reaction you guys got from the crowd, is it safe to say you wouldn't be too disappointed to come back here for an Ashes test?
MITCHELL STARC: We were surprised when there wasn't going to be an Ashes test here. But no, look, it's part of the atmosphere here. You probably know that most of the local crowds aren't going to be on our side and it's going to be that way for the next four months, I guess. Look, it's a great atmosphere, and obviously not too much in our corner, but yeah, as I said, it's a great atmosphere, and you want to play in front of a good crowd and good noise, and when you can create results for us like that today and almost quieten them up a little bit, it's a great positive, as well.

Q. You had that 160K ball against New Zealand a few years ago. Are you physically up to perhaps nudging 160 again?
MITCHELL STARC: I need a strong breeze going, I think.

No, I felt really good today. Rhythm is starting to feel really good, and the things I've been working on the last few months are really coming to fruition, so that's a huge positive for me. Yeah, as long as I can keep contributing to the group the way I've done today and hopefully the last couple of weeks, it's a great sign for the group going forward, and we can start to string performances together. As I said before, a lot of things we can improve on, but if we can all keep contributing and having a great tournament, it's going to result in some really positive cricket for Australia.

Q. You came out to bowl as soon as Andre Russell came out. Is that something you guys have spoken about before, or just going forward, whenever the danger man comes in, do you just demand the ball, or is it something that you plan before the game?
MITCHELL STARC: It's up to Finchy. I think one thing he communicated to all the bowling group was to stay ready at all times, which is what you've got to do in one-day cricket. Things can change very quickly, whether it be a wicket or someone gets a few shots away, you've got to be prepared to bowl at all different stages, whether it be in the first, second or third powerplay. You've got to be prepared for 1- or 2-over spells or for 4- or 5-over spells. That was communicated back in Australia before we came to the UK, and something that we've all worked really hard on is being ready for whether it is an Andre Russell comes out and you want to attack him or whether you need to defend or bowl that death stuff a bit earlier. We're all prepared for that. We've got a great bowling attack that can do that. There's guys on the bench that do that really well. Yeah, we're in a good spot.

Q. Were you just looking on from the dressing room, were you just surprised by the way your top order played, the hand of the shortstop that was coming their way from the West Indies?
MITCHELL STARC: It was pretty quick. I'm not sure I would have gone too well against it. Yeah, look, it's something to learn from, as I said. It was fast hostile bowling and something to learn from.

Yeah, the guys probably didn't play it the way they would have liked to, but we've come away with a great result, plenty to learn from with bat, ball and in the field, and credit to them, they bowled fast, aggressive stuff at us for a fair period of that -- the opening couple of spells. Sometimes it's just hard to play against, and it's not fun to bat against, so I certainly don't like it, and I much prefer dishing it out.

Australia are true champions

Only Pakistan or India can stop them in the semis or final. They will crush England or NZ.

Aussies have again proved their mental toughness. From a hopeless position they get near 300 and win the match. Whoever defeats them will win the tournament, as always they are the team to beat. There tailenders are no worse then our front line batsmen.

Immature batting and equally bad fielding by West Indies cost them the match. The run out of Hetmeyer, and poor shots by some of their batsmen show that the team is not professionally trained well.

So yuvraj is a goat too because his bowling was crucial in winning 2011 wc? Is McGrath not a better goat because he picked more wickets in 2007? So how many goats are there, surely there should only be 1.
Why do you get hyper so much? You were comparing Starc with Bumrah, that guy didn't say anything wrong. Bumrah has to win World Cup for India just like people expect Kohli to win it for India.

Not sure why are you bringing in Yuvi and Mcgrath into discussion. May be you are not aware of this but Yuvi and Mcgrath both have already played a part in their team's World Cup victory. :inti

Andre Russel’s mad shot to get out had glimpse of Afridi.

Really annoyed that WI choked.

What is the point of Carlos Brathwaite? Living off that one over for 3 years now..

I agree. WI bat deep enough already - since Brathwaite is nominally an "allrounder" selection (but never scores runs). If they had Roach or Gabriel in that game the extra wickets would likely have broke the back off the Australian fightback & WI win the game.

Only Australia could do this nonsense. Even at 100 odd with 5 wickets down Smith and Carrey were still playing positively with confidence.

That is why they have more WC wins than any other country.

On paper England might have the superior team, but Aus has never sent a WC team that didn’t have the mental toughness.

The key part is actually what you have overlooked. It relates to confidence & mental strength but it's not this "always play positively" nonsense that people use to justify silly shots that just get you out & leave you in a deeper hole.

When they came together they (Smith & Carey) played out SIX OVERS FOR SEVEN RUNS. They just sat in tight & tried not to get out for a whole half an hour.

No "trying to be positive" or "put the pressure back on the bowler" cliches. Just stay at the damn crease until you can see the ball & the opposition maybe go back to an easier bowler.

THAT takes mental strength & confidence. To tuk-tuk for a whole 6 overs, 12% of your ODI compliment of overs. Just stay in, maybe a single if it's easy. It's actually the difference between thinking confidence is backing yourself to play shots (ala Akmals & Afridi's) & having genuine patience that 50 overs is a long time & you have time to rebuild, it's not T20.

Very few other nations are prepared to tuk-tuk so long during a rebuild without giving in to the scoreboard pressure / fan pressure/ knowledge of criticism if they fail after a tuk-tuk & so they play the big shot & get out.

T20 cricket has destroyed WI cricket. It should have been easy but everybody wants to hit sixes.

Australia should have done victory lap of the ground while carrying both umpires on their shoulders

Reactions from WI supporters is disapointing. I am clearly understanding the point about umpiring. But even with poor umpiring WI was in commanding position to win. First that senseless run out. Then one atrocious shot after another. No percentage game. Ego filled shots. No rotation of strike. WI supporters hardly point this out or condemn this. Asian team supporters would have exploded if their team members had played like this.

Even after being booed and under the pump ,the Aussies won.Yes they might have got benefits of some umpiring blunders but they are champs.Eng got rattled by handful of Pak supporters and lost their marbles

Reactions from WI supporters is disapointing. I am clearly understanding the point about umpiring. But even with poor umpiring WI was in commanding position to win. First that senseless run out. Then one atrocious shot after another. No percentage game. Ego filled shots. No rotation of strike. WI supporters hardly point this out or condemn this. Asian team supporters would have exploded if their team members had played like this.

4 overs worth of wides bowled... That's the game right there.

Australian player Adam Zampa found guilty of breaching The ICC Code of Conduct

Australian bowler Adam Zampa has been reprimanded for breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct during Match 10 at The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 between Australia and West Indies.

Zampa was found to have breached Article 2.3 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to using audible obscenities in an international match. In addition to the formal warning, one demerit point has been added to Zampa’s disciplinary record

The incident occurred at the end of the 29th over of the West Indies innings when Zampa was heard using an audible obscenity by the umpires.

Zampa admitted the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by Jeff Crowe of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees and, as such, there was no need for a formal hearing.

On-field umpires Marais Erasmus and Chris Gaffaney, third umpire Ruchira Palliyaguruge and fourth official S Ravi levelled the charges.

This was a bad loss for West Indies. Their bowling looked so dangerous yet they let the game slip and let Aus get a big score. Then in batting it was see saw but when Holder and Russell were batting, they should have won. If that partnership lasted just 3 more overs WI would have won easily, Russell was trying to hit every ball for six when the RRR wasn't an issue, just the wickets were.

australian selectors have proven us critics wrong by leaving out turner+handscomb.
this match has proven two things that now make australia the best team.

1.Carey and Counter nile have strengthened australia's lower order, otherwise the batting had too many accumulators, maxwell is no longer the only hitter and aus can make big totals.

2. Starc is back in form to his old self and can mop up the tail, he is now as good as bumrah in the death(still think bumrah is overaal better). Him coming to form makes australia one of the most dangerous bowling units. Im sure counter-nile will improve with the ball. If not, lyon can replace him if pitch is dry.

Not to mention aussie fighting spirit. I think windies choked and were unbelievably poor to have lost this match. Bad luck was also a factor their loss. But cannot discount australia's stability under pressure, probably the only team so far with this characteristic. Also shows it is unlikely for nz to lose from a winning position like windies this match or how nz almost lost against bangladesh.

Back