Australia fails to appeal for a run-out against Alzarri Joseph, and as a result, umpire Gerard Abood decides it is not out

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Australia's failure to appeal for a run-out against Alzarri Joseph shows a lack of attentiveness and missed opportunity during 2nd T20I between Australia and West Indies af Adelaide. The umpire, Gerard Abood, displayed irresponsibility by not making a decision based on the available information. This incident reflects a collective lapse in both the fielding team's awareness and the umpire's judgment.

PGQmtv9.jpg

What do you think? Was it the right decision from the umpire?

Yeah that's fair enough if a player is not even appealing it must not be given out by the umpires.

Well, Are Umpires there just to answer the appeals? Then what's actually their job?
Exactly. They have every modern convenience in the world yet need even more help by the players to do their job… lol.

I remember there was a similar case in West Indies and India 2002 test series IIRC. A direct throw hit the wickets, Dravid was casually completing a run and was short of the crease however nobody appealed and he carried on to bat.

This was the first time I witnessed something like this. It would be a BIG CONTROVERSY if it has happened in a knockout game of a big tournament.

People, especially commentators, should never complain if a player appeals vigorously

O I see. But it's a bit weird law
Yep, it is one of many weird rules in cricket. But a rule is a rule. Players don't want him out he is not out. The umpire can only double-check edges, catches taken etc but for that player has to appeal for something which in this case they chose not to.

Back