"Babar Azam is a world-class player, and even if he fails in 10-12 innings, it doesn't matter": Salman Ali Agha

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Salman Ali Agha during the press conference post-Day 2:

About the score in the 1st innings:

"No matter how many runs you score in international Test cricket, the thought always remains - I wish we had scored more runs. But I think 274 is still a decent score. And I believe there's enough in the pitch; if you bowl in the right areas, it can be beneficial for the bowlers."

About Pakistan batters lacking converting fifties to centuries:

"Obviously, there's always a desire to convert starts into big innings, but sometimes no matter how hard you try, it doesn't happen. I try, and I'm sure all batters try, that if we've scored a fifty, we should convert it into a century. This is an area we're working on, and I hope we'll do better in the future."

About the opposition's bowling:

"They bowled very well after lunch. Before lunch, they were bowling short deliveries, but after lunch, they pitched it up, which helped them. Sometimes you need to give credit to the opposition, and yes, there were some shots that could have been executed better."

About dropping Naseem Shah:

"Selection is the captain's and management's decision; I don't have any input. The bowlers we've added to our playing XI have performed well in domestic cricket, on this ground, and at the international level. Mir Hamza bowled well in Australia, and Mohammad Ali and Khurram Shahzad bowled well in the 1st Test, so I think we have enough bowling strength."

About the team's performance:

"All aspects are always discussed in the dressing room. As a cricketer, you can't be satisfied with any performance because it finishes the room for improvement. We know as a team and players that we need improvement, and this need is always there to strive for improvement. Tomorrow, we'll try to execute our plans properly and try to bowl them out as soon as possible."

About his role in the team:

"When I bat, I consider myself a batter, and when I bowl, I consider myself a bowler. There's no pressure on me; as an international player, you're representing Pakistan, so these things come with it. I'm excited about it, and there's no pressure."

About his playing style:

"Everyone has their own playing style. My style is to always follow the score, and I want to play like that. Rizi Bhai [Mohammad Rizwan] has a similar style, and every individual player plays according to their situation. We don't try to copy each other."

About Babar Azam:

"He's a world-class player, and if he fails in 10-12 innings, it doesn't matter. In the last 5 years, he's scored plenty of runs, so we need to look at that too. As a cricketer and batter, such phases come in your life, and there are 10 other players in the team, so focus should be on them too. If Babar Azam is struggling, it's okay, and you'll see him scoring soon, including big innings."

About the weather and trying to draw the series:

"Weather is not in our control, so I can't say anything about it. In international cricket, you can't think about scores in the 1st innings because you can't decide before the 2nd innings. Yes, you can say it should have been 330 or 335, but we have scored it, so still we were thinking of 370, and yes, there's a lot in the wicket for bowlers if they bowl in the right areas.

Last edited:
Too much cult following
I think there will be less of this cult if Pakistan starts winning more matches. When India used to lose often, we (in bengal) watched the match only to see if Ganguly made a 50. For most of the time, Bangladeshis were most happy for Shakib being the number one all rounder. Because there was nothing else to look forward to. During the 90s, every visiting cricketer in India was asked who they thought was the number one batsman, they would say Sachin, and next day the headline was so and so rated Sachin as the best in the world. Babar is neither Sachin, or Ganguly or Shakib, but he has been the top ranked batsman, and a nation which is used to being among the top till recent past has only this solitary source of pride where they can feel a sense of validation in the global cricketing arena. Hence the cult.

I don't mind what agha said. He's in a press conference and not a bollywood movie.

He can't exactly bad mouth a teammate publicly.

Bangladesh did bowl well but what the batters did was pretty ordinary. Failure is 15 innings for Babar Azam now. I think that is too much.

Salman butt speaking during a tv show:

“There are two reasons, no doubt he is currently Pakistan’s, and in my opinion, he is the most consistent player of this decade. But the problem is, when earlier players were playing, they would often be out of form, but there were four or five other players who could win the match, so everyone's honor was saved."

"Now, the problem is that Babar Azam scores so much, but there isn't anyone else who matches him. Now, when he doesn't score, it seems like Babar Azam isn't doing anything, even though he has set this expectation by scoring so much that now people expect him to score in every inning. But there isn't another match-winning player in the Pakistan team. You can see, on the day he doesn't score, it's known that the Pakistan team is going to lose, whatever happens. So, this is Pakistan's problem that they haven't developed a player; they tried to develop everyone in the style of power hitting, focusing on aggressive play, and they don't have players with tight techniques.”

This should be end of the road for Babar. This guy's batting is exposed and I will not be surprised if he fail against other weak teams on regular basis. This is what happen when fame goes on some's head who even doesn't deserve.

Khurram Shahzad during the press conference post day-3 of 2nd Test Between Pakistan and Bangladesh:

"Yes, I'm very hopeful that Babar Azam will score runs too, and I believe in my entire batting lineup that they will set a good total tomorrow. Our effort will be to move towards winning the match."

Khurram Shahzad during the press conference post day-3 of 2nd Test Between Pakistan and Bangladesh:

"Yes, I'm very hopeful that Babar Azam will score runs too, and I believe in my entire batting lineup that they will set a good total tomorrow. Our effort will be to move towards winning the match."
yes our mighty ufone king will score runs on Day 6 of this Test match :ROFLMAO:

Salman butt speaking during a tv show:

“There are two reasons, no doubt he is currently Pakistan’s, and in my opinion, he is the most consistent player of this decade. But the problem is, when earlier players were playing, they would often be out of form, but there were four or five other players who could win the match, so everyone's honor was saved."

"Now, the problem is that Babar Azam scores so much, but there isn't anyone else who matches him. Now, when he doesn't score, it seems like Babar Azam isn't doing anything, even though he has set this expectation by scoring so much that now people expect him to score in every inning. But there isn't another match-winning player in the Pakistan team. You can see, on the day he doesn't score, it's known that the Pakistan team is going to lose, whatever happens. So, this is Pakistan's problem that they haven't developed a player; they tried to develop everyone in the style of power hitting, focusing on aggressive play, and they don't have players with tight techniques.”
Don’t like Butt but he’s right. You need 3 or 4 consistent performing batsmen in a team. Otherwise we will never be able to have a good batting line up and will always be prone to collapse. The aggressive batsmen that you put in will also fail if that structure does not exist, as they will instead be batting to stop a collapse which they are unsuited to, rather than looking to accelerate on a well laid platform. You can’t groom in youngsters around a non settled line up like this, you make it more likely they will fail. And when you have just 1 or 2 batsmen you can rely on, it creates far too much pressure.

In every format we have this issue. In terms of sheer runs, t20s no one is really performing now, but in the past it was two batsmen Rizwan and Babar.In ODIs fakhar and Rizwan now with Babar out of form. In tests it’s only Saud and Rizwan. That’s literally two performing batsmen at a time. And I’m sure people will even argue over whether the actual number is even 2, given people’s arguments over Rizwan and Babar. That’s not a proper batting line up with just 2 performing batsmen. Babar losing form has been devastating for us.

I think Saud needs to enter the t20 line up for this reason too. We need someone with decent enough technique that can stay at the crease and make runs first before we worry about playing “aggressive batsmen” that average 10.

Back