Babar Azam joins the pantheon of the remarkable

owenhcricket

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Babar Azam scored his 19th century today against Nepal. It's a small side so as a century it will likely pale in comparison as the years pass compared to his brilliant World Cup century against New Zealand or century on Aussie soil. Yet we should not forget the importance of such a knock: Pakistan were 2 down already with very few runs on the board, his bets batting partner in Rizwan would eventually run himself out and the game was wide open for the taking. Babar scored 151 at a strike rate of 115, counter attacking and creating an unassailable lead.

In the process, Babar edges closer to matching Saeed Anwar and he will likely overtake the left hander in a few games, maybe this tournament. Of the modern batsmen to match or surpass him there are only 3, Warner is on 19 with Virat and Rohit far ahead but Babar is scoring a century almost every 5 games and averaging almost 60...in comparison Rohit has scored a century almost every 8 games and Virat every 6.

On the all time list, only 14 batsmen have more centuries, he will likely overtake the next 10 in the coming years matching the exceptional Jayasuriya. If that does happen, Babar will have a far superior average and a much better matches to century ratio. What remains then? Sharma, Ponting, Kohli and Tendulkar, 3 of which are all time great ODI batters.

Babar has truly join the pantheon of the remarkable.

So how far do you think he can go in terms of centuries? I think he'll get to 30 ODI centuries, injuries not withstanding which is around 55 more ODIs.

This guy is going to smash most Pakistani batting records and several international records.

He moved onto 31 centuries today for Pakistan:

Most scores of 100 or more in international cricket for Pakistan:

41 Younis Khan
39 Mohammad Yousuf
35 Inzamam-ul-Haq
31 Babar Azam
31 Saeed Anwar
31 Javed Miandad

The only thing that will stop Babar is the schedule, the diminishing ODIs being played. He'll go past 30 I think

Babar needs to finish his career with 30+ ODI centuries and 20+ test centuries. Anything less and I will be disappointed.

All this jingoism after an innings against err Nepal. Utterly predictable
I havent seen any jingoism by anyone on this thread so far.

It's not even about support, I'd say the same thing if any other active player was achieving this level of consistency from any country. Babar is on a level very f ew have touched. The only thing that can stop him is a drop in form in late 20s and 30s or the schedule (so few tests and ODIs these days).

The only thing that will stop Babar is the schedule, the diminishing ODIs being played. He'll go past 30 I think

Even more worrying is Pakistan playing mostly 2 test series and the odd 3 tests...in the time of Inzy, Yousuf and even earlier with Miandad 3, 4 or 5 test series were much more common.

Babar will hit 99 hundreds in his career.

Tests - 18
ODIs - 72
T20Is - 9

The no. of tests for Pakistan is a real shame. By the end of this year Pakistan will have played on 5 test matches, next year won't be much better with mainly two match test series.

By the end of this year Babar may complete his 51st test...in 7 years. Thats barely 7 tests a year that too with gaps of many months between series. We may never get to see a truly great Babar in the test arena.

India vs Pakistan: "When Somebody Passes Comments Like This...": Babar Azam Reacts To Virat Kohli's Statement On Him Ahead Of Asia Cup Clash​

India vs Pakistan - the biggest of cricket matches is here. On Saturday, the Rohit Sharma-led Indian cricket team will face Babar Azam-led Pakistan cricket team in Sri Lanka. The India vs Pakistan match is always a closely watched affair. This time the match holds extra significance as it gives the teams chances to test their combination against each other ahead of the World Cup 2023. The India vs Pakistan, in that way, is going to be a blockbuster.

Ahead of the match Pakistan captain Babar Azam talked about the time when Virat Kohli praised him.

"Feels really good, when somebody passes comments like this. The way Virat Kohli has given comments, for me it is a proud moment. I felt really good. When you get praised like this, you get confidence. He said that in 2019 (World Cup) I went up to him. He was at his peak, he is at his peak now too. I thought I should take some lessons from him. I learnt a lot from him then. He explained a lot of things. It helped me a lot. These things help," Babar Azam said in a video posted by Star Sports.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beyond rivalries and runs, lies a foundation of respect! 🤝💙<a href="https://twitter.com/babarazam258?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@babarazam258</a>&#39;s touching encounter with <a href="https://twitter.com/imVkohli?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@imVkohli</a> echoes the sentiment of mutual regard that cricket fosters. 🇮🇳🇵🇰 <a href="https://t.co/YStrJsGDYU">pic.twitter.com/YStrJsGDYU</a></p>&mdash; Star Sports (@StarSportsIndia) <a href=" ">August 31, 2023</a></blockquote><script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The official broadcasters of the Asia Cup 2023 also posted another video of Virat Kohli, from 2022, praising Babar Azam.

"I saw a lot of respect from him from Day 1. That hasn't changed. Regardless of the fact that he is probably the batsman in the world across all formats. He has been consistent. I have enjoyed watching him play. He is coming into his own. I haven't seen his attitude change towards me. These kind of characters go a long way and they inspire people," Virat Kohli said in the video.

NDTV

Saeed Anwar has the most ODI hundreds for Pakistan - 20 in 244 innings.

Babar is 1 behind, on 19, in 102 innings. Just imagine if Pakistan played the same number of ODIs now that they played back then, Babar would be setting national records that would never be broken.

Saeed Anwar has the most ODI hundreds for Pakistan - 20 in 244 innings.

Babar is 1 behind, on 19, in 102 innings. Just imagine if Pakistan played the same number of ODIs now that they played back then, Babar would be setting national records that would never be broken.

He'd also be unassailable in most ODI records.

On that note, just remarkable how quickly Babar has achieved certain ODI landmarks...and how we forget Amla holds a lot of those records a guy who isn't always brought up in ODI discussions.

only thing Babar needs to do now is top the test rankings and win some tournaments

While talking to Star Sports, Gautam Gambhir:

"Babar Azam doesn't need to give any message. He has given a message in the 104 matches he has played. If you can score 19 centuries in 104 matches, I believe he will be in the top two or three players in all formats. So he doesn't need to give a message"

"However, it will be a good contest. He will be tested against the Indian fast bowling. You will get to see an Indian attack after a long time, where all three bowlers (Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammad Shami, and Mohammed Siraj) can test Babar Azam properly"

Hopefully he doesn't "chicken out" as he usually does against india

In the most recent match against India he scored 48...in the most important match between the two sides in recent times, he scored 46. The remaining 3 matches are inconsequential but 5 is a very small sample size. Not sure if he is chickening out lol

While speaking on his YouTube channel, South African legend, known for his own extraordinary cricketing prowess, didn't hold back his praise for Azam, dubbing him one of the best players the cricketing world has ever witnessed.

"I love talking about Babar Azam because he is one of the best players we have ever seen play this game and not just now. He is a huge rock in the Pakistan batting order. If India wants to keep Pakistan quiet, this is the guy to dismiss early because he keeps the batting lineup together and acts as a glue in the Pakistan middle-order," he said.

In the most recent match against India he scored 48...in the most important match between the two sides in recent times, he scored 46. The remaining 3 matches are inconsequential but 5 is a very small sample size. Not sure if he is chickening out lol
My expectations from him are high .These pretty 40s are useless

He'd also be unassailable in most ODI records.

On that note, just remarkable how quickly Babar has achieved certain ODI landmarks...and how we forget Amla holds a lot of those records a guy who isn't always brought up in ODI discussions.
I’d argue that in this day n age, the pressure in JAMODIs isn’t the same as it was back in the day.

A lot of these matches no-one really cares about apart from the World Cup - which is why it is almost dead as a format. Only the World Cup has people tuning in.

in the 90s there were a lot of tri series that were taken seriously and a lot of match’s Vs India where the pressure was always high.

I’d argue that in this day n age, the pressure in JAMODIs isn’t the same as it was back in the day.

A lot of these matches no-one really cares about apart from the World Cup - which is why it is almost dead as a format. Only the World Cup has people tuning in.

in the 90s there were a lot of tri series that were taken seriously and a lot of match’s Vs India where the pressure was always high.

Its true a lot of non CWC ODI cricket in the 90s felt like a bigger deal but what do you mean "no-one really cares"? Are you saying the players don't care? You might want to review some of the player reactions in recent series involving the like of Pakistan, India, Windies etc.

Its true a lot of non CWC ODI cricket in the 90s felt like a bigger deal but what do you mean "no-one really cares"? Are you saying the players don't care? You might want to review some of the player reactions in recent series involving the like of Pakistan, India, Windies etc.
Some players don’t care. If you remember the ODI series between Eng v Aus straight after the t20 World Cup, both teams were complaining it was a pointless series. And that’s what a lot of these bilateral series are - pointless.

Yes the Asia Cup will have some meaning, yes the World Cup will have - lot of meaning and if the CT was still active it would too, but outside that these are pressureless games with players just going through the motions. This is exactly why the format is under threat.

Babar’s scored the bulk of his runs in those type of games.

In terms of stats, Babar is remarkable and will statistically be the best pakistani batsmen and one of the best batsmen of all time.

However in reality babar is a world class accumulator that's it. The man needs band holding from players around him while he can go on his merry way for his personal milestone.

Babar isn't becoming a saeed Anwar, Virat kholi, zaheer abass, AB de devillers, Ricky Pointing, Sachin Tendulkar, Santh jaysuria etc etc any time soon.

Bossed Nepal and couldn't do it vs India and Sri Lanka in a virtual semi-final. I rate Babar Azam highly, I really do, but if he puts up this sort of pattern of run-scoring in this upcoming WC (scoring heavy vs weaker opposition and not scoring vs stronger opposition/potentially not scoring when it matters most) he should not be considered a world-class batsman, just a really good one.

People wrongly compare him to Virat Kohli. He is more in Hashim Amla's league.

Good to see how babar started his inning on indian soil.

These kind of pitches suits babar i am sure he will enjoy batting on such tracks.

This thread reminds of a hindi proverb "Andho me kana raja". Which means in a group of foolish people even the one with meager amount of intelligence is considered brainiest. Babar is compared to the likes of Kohli, Sachin etc. Sachin single handedly took India to victory against the mighty aussies of the 90s in Sharjah. Kohli took on the likes of Malinga helping India chase down 320 in 40 overs. I dont recall 1 such extraordinary knock by Babar till date. His best chance to shut his critics was last week against SL but he failed yet again. KOhli took India past the post in last years t20 WC match when India was rattled at 32/4 and again played a crucial innings couple of weeks back with India at 2/3. When Babar starts contributing in such situations he will really be joining the pantheon of remarkable.

This thread reminds of a hindi proverb "Andho me kana raja". Which means in a group of foolish people even the one with meager amount of intelligence is considered brainiest. Babar is compared to the likes of Kohli, Sachin etc. Sachin single handedly took India to victory against the mighty aussies of the 90s in Sharjah. Kohli took on the likes of Malinga helping India chase down 320 in 40 overs. I dont recall 1 such extraordinary knock by Babar till date. His best chance to shut his critics was last week against SL but he failed yet again. KOhli took India past the post in last years t20 WC match when India was rattled at 32/4 and again played a crucial innings couple of weeks back with India at 2/3. When Babar starts contributing in such situations he will really be joining the pantheon of remarkable.
Maybe you started watching cricket when the world cup started...and when was that again, during the Eng v NZ game or the Pak v India game which had an opening ceremony? :facepalm

Babar has a century against NZ in a must win game in the 2019 world cup...in fact, after two losses, every group game was must-win for Pakistan and he performed well in almost all of them. This allowed Pakistan parity in terms of points with NZ.

Btw I never claimed Babar was at Tendulkar's level but give it 5 years and who knows.

Anyway, you keep hating and stay healthy modi.

Maybe you started watching cricket when the world cup started...and when was that again, during the Eng v NZ game or the Pak v India game which had an opening ceremony?

Babar has a century against NZ in a must win game in the 2019 world cup...in fact, after two losses, every group game was must-win for Pakistan and he performed well in almost all of them. This allowed Pakistan parity in terms of points with NZ.

Btw I never claimed Babar was at Tendulkar's level but give it 5 years and who knows.

Such low are the standards set by Pakistan fans that a century in an ordinary 237 runs chase is considered some kind of legendary innings. Yes now come and mention how it was a minefield and 237 was actually 437.

Babar has a century against NZ in a must win game in the 2019 world cup

The number of times this knock gets mentioned by Babar fans as if this was a real semi final or final is just plain hilarious. Pakistan's tournament was pretty much over when they lost comprehensively to India and ended up with just 1 win from their first 5 games. Only a miracle (like half a dozen results to go in their favour) would have gotten them through to the SF especially when you consider their awful NRR thanks to the spanking by West Indies.

There's a reason why you guys couldn't reach the knockouts even after winning all the remaining games and NZ losing their last 3.

Maybe you started watching cricket when the world cup started...and when was that again, during the Eng v NZ game or the Pak v India game which had an opening ceremony? :facepalm

I have seen that match against NZ. It was a modest target of 245 which suited babr's style. Babr was needed when chasing 345 aginst SL. Anyways you are free to think he has joined the pantheon of the remarkable. But he will always be the king of sift runs until he stands up when the odds are aginst him.

5 10 50 adds up 65 in 3 innings for Babar, AFAIK he had a lean patch in T20 W22

If you're counting the number of times Smith/Kohli/Williamson/Root etc. have clocked up runs chasing 237 in an ODI when they were Babar's age in 2019, you'll run out of hands.

Surrounded by goofs, Babar gets stuck Fakhar took the burden and Babar was silky smooth, shame Imam and Rizwan dont give him this luxury

A tricky World Cup for Babar.

He was #21 rank batter in this World Cup in terms of runs scored.

In terms of impact, he could be like #40 something

Tricky? He had a disastrous World Cup by the standards expected of him by his fans.

Babar Azam scored his 19th century today against Nepal. It's a small side so as a century it will likely pale in comparison as the years pass compared to his brilliant World Cup century against New Zealand or century on Aussie soil. Yet we should not forget the importance of such a knock: Pakistan were 2 down already with very few runs on the board, his bets batting partner in Rizwan would eventually run himself out and the game was wide open for the taking. Babar scored 151 at a strike rate of 115, counter attacking and creating an unassailable lead.

In the process, Babar edges closer to matching Saeed Anwar and he will likely overtake the left hander in a few games, maybe this tournament. Of the modern batsmen to match or surpass him there are only 3, Warner is on 19 with Virat and Rohit far ahead but Babar is scoring a century almost every 5 games and averaging almost 60...in comparison Rohit has scored a century almost every 8 games and Virat every 6.

On the all time list, only 14 batsmen have more centuries, he will likely overtake the next 10 in the coming years matching the exceptional Jayasuriya. If that does happen, Babar will have a far superior average and a much better matches to century ratio. What remains then? Sharma, Ponting, Kohli and Tendulkar, 3 of which are all time great ODI batters.

Babar has truly join the pantheon of the remarkable.

So how far do you think he can go in terms of centuries? I think he'll get to 30 ODI centuries, injuries not withstanding which is around 55 more ODIs.
Well he joins the hall of shame in this World Cup. Abject failure for supposed benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another hallmark for Babar, joins the legends like Misbah Azharuddin Pollock Lara who failed to qualify their teams in a final hurdle

He has indeed joined the pantheon of the remarkable in the last 4 tournaments he’s played in ODI and T20 the World Cup and Asia Cup he’s managed to fail miserably in each one.

But then again this is Babar Azams era and we are living in next after the next 150 against Namibia.

One message for all the Babar haters out there, I would love to see your team perform in Australia without your best batsman performing .. u guys are absolutely clueless

Babar is your only hope down under as a batsman

Surrounded by goofs, Babar gets stuck Fakhar took the burden and Babar was silky smooth, shame Imam and Rizwan dont give him this luxury

Babar’s squad…”surrounded by goofs” doesn’t work when you had the power to build your own team.

One message for all the Babar haters out there, I would love to see your team perform in Australia without your best batsman performing .. u guys are absolutely clueless

Babar has played 5 tests in Australia at an average of 27 he really turns into Don Bradman there doesn’t he if that’s our only hope then get ready for some real phainty.

:moyo

Babar is no longer distinguishable from any random Pakistan batsman.

Inspires no confidence, tuk tuks to his heart's content, poor rotater of strike, premeditates strokes which don't come off and basically a walking wicket these days. Even when he's settled, you just can't take him seriously because you know he will get out anytime.

You can replace Babar with any random batter and Pakistan won't be worse off.

My issue with Pakistani cricket fans is always overreaction to everything. He had a very good World Cup in 2019 and a very bad one in 2023. He was horrible in Indian conditions and he has flaws against spin. Doesn’t mean that he’s suddenly the worst batsmen in the world.

He just turned 29. Arguably his most impressive ODI record is in South Africa - where the next ODI WC is. His weakness against spin won’t affect him much on those pitches where spinners get hammered. Need to just stay consistent the next 4 years, work a bit more on his power hitting abilities and his play against spin.

Babar has played 5 tests in Australia at an average of 27 he really turns into Don Bradman there doesn’t he if that’s our only hope then get ready for some real phainty.

He had a bad start to Test Cricket in general compared to LOI. He’s been rectifying his Test record, let’s see how he does on this tour. For Pakistan to be successful in the Australian Test Tour, he will have to be the best batsmen on the team.

Babar is no longer distinguishable from any random Pakistan batsman.

Inspires no confidence, tuk tuks to his heart's content, poor rotater of strike, premeditates strokes which don't come off and basically a walking wicket these days. Even when he's settled, you just can't take him seriously because you know he will get out anytime.

You can replace Babar with any random batter and Pakistan won't be worse off.

crazy how hyped Babar was compared to Fakhar.

One gets a 50 but can never take the game away from the opposition on his own. A 50 and out type of player, someone that has zero impact on the result of the match.

The other is a player that could blow away any opposition if he gets settled in. He’ll win you games on his own but will face more backlash because he’s not “consistent” enough.

My issue with Pakistani cricket fans is always overreaction to everything. He had a very good World Cup in 2019 and a very bad one in 2023. He was horrible in Indian conditions and he has flaws against spin. Doesn’t mean that he’s suddenly the worst batsmen in the world.

He just turned 29. Arguably his most impressive ODI record is in South Africa - where the next ODI WC is. His weakness against spin won’t affect him much on those pitches where spinners get hammered. Need to just stay consistent the next 4 years, work a bit more on his power hitting abilities and his play against spin.

Let's be clear. Babar has regressed badly as a batsman since 2018-2019. His technique has regressed. He has feasted in the last 4 years against minnows and C, D bowling attacks and he was exposed very badly the big boys this WC.

When you play against the best players like Rohit Sharma, Gil, Kohli then your skill development and confidence goes through the roof.

Babar can partly be blamed as it is clear he has been cutting corners and has also put on weight and not developed his strength as witnessed by his lack of power game.

Stripping him of the captaincy and dropping him from the ODI and T20 squad should send the desired message that he has to reinvent himself as a modern ODI batter.

Babar was 21 when he first toured to Australia. His last Aus tour was a success with a ton and another 97 in 4 innings.

If I remember on that tour, Babar played reasonably well compared to the others. Everyone who are saying that any random Pakistani batsman is better than Babar, just tell me who u have in mind that has the guts and temperament to play a long innings of a test match in Australia.

Agree that stripping Babar of the captaincy will be the best thing as this is affecting him as a batsman but let's be clear on one undeniable fact - Pakistan will fall like a pack of cards if Babar fails to score. I just don't see any anyone else performing there and for Pakistan's sake, hope that he gets back his confidence and form before the series. Else u r staring at a massacre.

Babar Azam averages 34 since this thread was created after he scored a 150 against Nepal and joined this "pantheon of greatness".. :)

Entered the Asia Cup T20 2022 as the no.1 ranked T20 batter in the world and wasn't even the top 15 run scorers of the tournament.

Entered the ICC T20 WC 2022 as the no.1 ranked T20 batter in the world and wasn't even the top 15 run scorers of the tournament.

Entered the ICC ODI WC 2023 as the no.1 ranked ODI batter in the world and isn't even the top 20 run scorers of this tournament.

And even in the Asia Cup ODI 2023 , if you remove this greatness' pantheon entering 150 knock against Nepal, he scored 56 runs in 3 remaining games against India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

I'll just leave it at that. :babar

LOL. Exposed .

This fraud will never amount to anything more than a "pleasing on the eye" bilateral merchant. To think he was hailed as the best pakistani batter ever. He's not even the best in the current squad and that's saying something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not taking the mick, but frankly Babar reminds me a lot of Manish Pandey.

MP also had a tendency to get stuck against quality spinners and he always seemed comfortable in third gear rather than picking up pace.

Pandey was also in the shadow of Kohli from U19 days. RCB picked him as well. He even married an actress from the south Indian film industry. Selectors always felt he was K- lite and he could never develop power game to fit in at #5-6

His personal stats are pretty good but he hasn't been able to provide great results as the captain of the national team. It is expected that he will be replaced as the captain of the national side soon which hopefully help him concentrate only on his batting that should help the team.

One ATG great for Australia is talking about the future ATG Babar Azam. Nothing else but praise coming for Babar from Lyon.

---------------------------------------

Nathan Lyon speaking to a media site:

"Babar, firstly, has been a pleasure to play against but he's also been a massive challenge,"

"He's one of the best batters in the world in my eyes, especially against spin. He's a class player. But think he's a class player against all types of bowling.

"They've got some superstars in the side, and if I'm talking superstars he's the No. 1 in the Pakistan side in my eyes. He played reasonably well out here last time so it's going to be a big challenge for us for sure."​

On This Day in 2021, Babar Azam scored 122 – the highest individual score for a Pakistan batter in a T20I.

He achieved the feat against South Africa at SuperSport Park, Centurion leading Pakistan to a nine-wicket win.

That inning was one of the greatest ones from him. Absolute domination. How many of you remember this inning?

Back