Babar Azam vs Rohit Sharma - Who is a better cricketer overall?

Ab Fan

Senior Test Player
Runs
Tests?
ODIs?
T20Is?
Overall?

Who is a better player of the two? The sample size is large for Rohit Sharma but it is more than decent enough now for Babar also.

Obviously Babar. This thread is disrespectful to Babar. The only Indian batsman who can be compared to Babar in recent times is Kohli. Close this thread.

Obviously Babar. This thread is disrespectful to Babar. The only Indian batsman who can be compared to Babar in recent times is Kohli. Close this thread.

I don't think it's disrespectful to Babar. Rohit is a good batsman in his own rights. Some time ago,people were hyping Rohit Sharma.

A guy in prime vs a guy who is over the hill. Not a fair comparison.

Overall career wise, Babar is a much better Test player. Rohit is a better T20 as well as ODI batsman.

What is with these senseless comparisons?

How can you even compare a 28 year old who is at his peak with an over the hill 36 year old?

A guy in prime vs a guy who is over the hill. Not a fair comparison.

Overall career wise, Babar is a much better Test player. Rohit is a better T20 as well as ODI batsman.

They play in different positions

When Babar decides to man up and open in Tests maybe then you can compare

What is with these senseless comparisons?

How can you even compare a 28 year old who is at his peak with an over the hill 36 year old?

Question is overall, not current form.

Everyday, Babar gets compared with Fab Four. Rohit is of similar age too( maybe 1 year older) but that doesn't matter.

Its actually not too bad a comparison and its quite close but I feel Babar has a higher ceiling and will finish up as being rated as far superior.

Sharma is the king of phattas. On a batting track he can do things that Babar is unable to.

Overall I think Babar will fare better across a wider range of conditions.

Unfortunately there is a certain community of Pakistanis hell bent on discrediting Babar and downplaying his achievements.

They play in different positions

When Babar decides to man up and open in Tests maybe then you can compare

Rohit has one good overseas test series in his entire career. In past, he struggled in middle order as well.

Rohit's peak in LOIs was extraordinary from 2013-19. He's well past his best now.

Question is overall, not current form.

Everyday, Babar gets compared with Fab Four. Rohit is of similar age too( maybe 1 year older) but that doesn't matter.

In that case, I will pick Rohit as of now. Babar still has time to pile on runs and eclipse Rohit easily. Babar just needs to continue with his current form for 3 or 4 years and it will be an easy pick in Babar's favor.

Babar Azam without any doubt is the better batsman. ...........
Babar can only be compared with Kohli...

Except Kohli Currently no batsman from Asian countries can match the class of Babar Azam ....

Babar Azam without any doubt is the better batsman. ...........
Babar can only be compared with Kohli...

Except Kohli Currently no batsman from Asian countries can match the class of Babar Azam ....
Babar surpasses Kohli with one good WC campaign. Would be one more than Kohli has had in his entire career.

If babar wins a world cup.
He doesn't even need that tbh.

Kohli has been a none entity at the grandest stage. This fact is often overlooked because of the noise from his delusional fans.

Babar is an upgrade version of Azhar Ali with stats but not an impact player like Rohit. Rohit performs well under pressure where Babar fail 8/10. Rohit on his day can bring down any opposition regardless pitch or opposition which is not the case for Babar. Babar has long way to go to prove it by performing against stronger oppositions and crucial matches.

Babar is an upgrade version of Azhar Ali with stats but not an impact player like Rohit. Rohit performs well under pressure where Babar fail 8/10. Rohit on his day can bring down any opposition regardless pitch or opposition which is not the case for Babar. Babar has long way to go to prove it by performing against stronger oppositions and crucial matches.

Tests babar will surpass. in ODI sharm all the way.

In limited overs cricket, Rohit is much impactful than Babar Azam.. In test cricket, Babar is ahead now as Rohit don't play often because of his weak fitness.
Babar's stats are inflated due to playing of flat wickets against mostly weak teams or second string teams of SENA.

Rohit was playing very well. He would be disappointed that he's thrown it away. It was a soft dismissal. Flighted around off, Rohit's idea was to chip it over cover but hit it a lot straighter and gave his wicket away.

I don't think you can compare the two right now.

Rohit is almost done with his career. Babar is at his peak.

Rohit plays from 2007. Babar started in 2015.

Rohit isn't anything extraordinary. His average is 10 lesser than BABAR.

He doesn't even need that tbh.

Kohli has been a none entity at the grandest stage. This fact is often overlooked because of the noise from his delusional fans.
he played multiple all time great knocks in t20 world cup knock outs. ODI worldup so far barring 35 against SL in 2011, 2015/2019 were clear failures in knock outs. 2019 overall group stage, Kohli was second best to rohit sharma.

Why are people comparing Babar Azam to the legendary Rohit Sharma, especially in terms of LOIs? It's quite amusing. I mean, Pakistanis seem to go crazy over Babar Azam's centuries against associate teams. Maybe we should let him rack up some trophies for Pakistan with his batting skills first, before making these rather silly comparisons to Indian cricket legends.

Easily?

What makes you say that? 151 against Nepal?
That clutch knock vs nz in 2019 is something rohit can only dream of playing. He is a KO stage failure. Rohit I mean. Watch him fail india again in the KO stages. If India go on to win it won't be cause of rohit. Most likely Gill, siraj or someone else like bumrah or shami.

Why are people comparing Babar Azam to the legendary Rohit Sharma, especially in terms of LOIs? It's quite amusing. I mean, Pakistanis seem to go crazy over Babar Azam's centuries against associate teams. Maybe we should let him rack up some trophies for Pakistan with his batting skills first, before making these rather silly comparisons to Indian cricket legends.
Gautam is much better than stat padder flat track bilateral bully rohit.

That clutch knock vs nz in 2019 is something rohit can only dream of playing. He is a KO stage failure. Rohit I mean. Watch him fail india again in the KO stages. If India go on to win it won't be cause of rohit. Most likely Gill, siraj or someone else like bumrah or shami.
That ‘clutch’ knock didn’t help Pakistan qualify for the next round

Rohit’s 4 consecutive tons did help India qualify for the semis however.

Don’t understand what you are trying to prove here?

He is probably deluded

You know exactly why we couldn't qualify. That loss vs west indies hurt us. That was an aberration. Plus we dint have shaheen for the first few games. Besides rohit has consistently failed in ko stages since 2011. Babar is still young.

You know exactly why we couldn't qualify. That loss vs west indies hurt us. That was an aberration. Plus we dint have shaheen for the first few games. Besides rohit has consistently failed in ko stages since 2011. Babar is still young.
You do realise Shaheen rightly didn’t make the team at the time?

You do realise Shaheen rightly didn’t make the team at the time?
But you saw the kind of impact he had right? We were much more potent with him. Wahab wasn't in his prime.

Babar is better technically, but both aren't my cup of tea. Both soft stat padders.

Had Babar scored 5 hundreds in a single World Cup that too in foreign conditions like England, his fans would have already declared him as the greatest cricketer of all time, when you consider the amount of hype usually generated for his stat padding knocks against weakened bowling attacks in useless bilaterals.

But for Rohit, some Indian fans were criticizing him not smashing a single double hundred after getting set for 5 times..

I'll just leave it at that..

M
Had Babar scored 5 hundreds in a single World Cup that too in foreign conditions like England, his fans would have already declared him as the greatest cricketer of all time, when you consider the amount of hype usually generated for his stat padding knocks against weakened bowling attacks in useless bilaterals.

But for Rohit, some Indian fans were criticizing him not smashing a single double hundred after getting set for 5 times..

I'll just leave it at that..
My issue with rohit ans kohli is poor outings in KO games. Hence I rate them lower. Babar still has time on his hands.

M

My issue with rohit ans kohli is poor outings in KO games. Hence I rate them lower. Babar still has time on his hands.

You need to be good enough to take your team into the knockouts as well. India doesn't get a direct entry into the semi finals of a world cup or a champions trophy as if it's a charity.

Besides, Babar has shown nothing so far in his career to prove that he's going to be a much better batter in knockouts or under pressure situations than Rohit or Kohli in order to offset the gap between those two. He has been a failure against India so far and has struggled against our non top tier bowlers like Arshdeep, Bishnoi, Pandya , Bhuvi etc..

Rohit is well ahead of Babar. 3 double tons, 5 hundreds in a single world cup nuff said

If anything I'll go one further and say Babar isn't even the best batsmen in Pakistan. Saud Shakeel is ahead of him talent and temperament wise, however he was never invested in the same way Babar was

Rohit is a naturally talented guy. The timing was always there from the very young age. So easy on eye even when he hits sixes. Little flawed. But ever since MSD promoted him up the order he turned his career around. There is one area where both these guys are diametrically opposite. Six hitting.

You need to be good enough to take your team into the knockouts as well. India doesn't get a direct entry into the semi finals of a world cup or a champions trophy as if it's a charity.

Besides, Babar has shown nothing so far in his career to prove that he's going to be a much better batter in knockouts or under pressure situations than Rohit or Kohli in order to offset the gap between those two. He has been a failure against India so far and has struggled against our non top tier bowlers like Arshdeep, Bishnoi, Pandya , Bhuvi etc..
On flat tracks I give rohit the edge. He is a master at being a flat track bully. Look at his test away and home record.

Babar is better on any pitch that offers something for the bowlers.

On flat tracks I give rohit the edge. He is a master at being a flat track bully. Look at his test away and home record.

Well 90% of white ball wickets around the world are batting friendly so not much there..

And Rohit , the test batsman has scored top quality hundreds on Indian rank turners and English seaming wickets so the gap isn't that big as you think.

Not quiet sure. He did succumb to swing of Arshdeep also bounce of Olivier and West Indian bowlers in 2019 world cup. Rohit is a massively better player against short ball.

There is no comparison between them. Babar has different role and Rohit has different role. Btw Babar is more technically sound.

if you talk about the match winner so i will rate Rohit Sharma a bit higher than babar because he helped India to win more matches with his performance as compare to babar did for Pakistan.

Babar is a safe player, he does not have gears that Rohit has in white ball format. Babar will always score more runs at a better average than Rohit as he does not take risks and bats safe. Rohit has a different role where he goes after the bowling in white ball formats. In Tests Rohit got his chances pretty late and he is not a natural opener. His average of 34.5 in 26 games overseas might be poor but if you look at the stats of peak Babar it isn't that great either. Rohit has 2 hundreds in 48 innings overseas and Babar has the same number of hundreds in 50 innings overseas. Not sure how he is way better than Rohit in Tests. In ODIs Babar averages high but again he isn't someone I worry about too much when India plays Pakistan. He has struggled against India in both the white ball formats and except for one 50 in 2021 WC, he has never looked threatening. He does not have multiple gears but again statistically he will be best Pakistan batter in ODIs and will be better than Rohit. If I had a choice I will take Rohit any day ahead of Babar in ODIs

In ODI and T20, strike rate matters a lot ( taking average of 40+ as decent). Now, where does the comparison stand in terms of that between Rohit and Babar. As opponent, I myself would be happy to see Babar playing in the last 20% overs than Rohit

7 ODI World Cup centuries now for The Hitman.

Let’s give him his flowers

In chasing a big target, I will trust Rohit over Babar any day. Babar only scores against Minnows or C/D level bowling attacks.

Rohit is > Babar. That isn't a topic.

Babar is good, I like him but we need to understand his capability is in being a good batsmen. These 200+ scores and these iconic match winning performances he ain't ever achieving.

Statistically at the end of his career he might surpass rohit since he's already at 19 odi centuries and given how many games Babar plays against 2nd string sides.

Rohit is the biggest subcontinent short ball bully. Not that others don't do. Kohli, Rahane, Gill, Rahul all are excellent pull shot players. But this guy hits them for six for fun.

Rohit is the biggest subcontinent short ball bully. Not that others don't do. Kohli, Rahane, Gill, Rahul all are excellent pull shot players. But this guy hits them for six for fun.
Rohit is biggest short ball bully bar none. There are others who are as potent as he is, but none has exceeded him.

Rohit is an atg odi batsman & purely as an opener one of the best ever. Kohli is one of the very few who exclusively deserve the tag of goat. If one was asked to compile a list of all time great Pak-Indo combined odi greats it would be impossible for him to keep these 2 out of top 5. You don't have to be their fan or Indian to admit this. Anybody with a functioning brain & medium amount of cricket knowledge will accept this.
With each passing day, all these comparisons with Babar not only comes off childish, rubbish & literally trollish; but it really paints Babar on a demeaning stature. I understand bulk of his fanclub is comprised of teenagers & guys/gals in their early 20's so expecting maturity is probably asking a lot. But they need to slow down the hype train because it's not doing Babar, his reputation or legacy any favor. He has got a long long way to go before we can reach to any conclusion regarding his true standing as a great batsman.

Bro kohli having an average 2019 wc doesn't lean rohit is superior lol
Rohit was the highest run getter in 2019 WC with 5 hundreds and with an average of 81. His SR was 98. His 5 hundreds is a record in a single WC. He is a fantastic White ball player. The statement of yours should read like this, just because Kohli is a legend in ODIs, Rohit cannot be termed inferior.

Rohit was the highest run getter in 2019 WC with 5 hundreds and with an average of 81. His SR was 98. His 5 hundreds was a record in a single WC. He is a fantastic White ball player. The statement should be that, just because Kohli is a legend in ODIs, Rohit cannot be termed inferior.

Yes he can considering rohit has had bad patches numerous times over so much so that only now he's come back to form.

His form post 2019 was terrible until now.

Rohit is a goat player. So is kohli but kohli is considered the best bat in India and rightfully so.

Last 12 World Cup innings, he’s smashed 6 centuries.

He’s on a run.

And such an impact player, when Hitman is hitting, he puts Bharat well and truly on top.

He is leading Bharat in a World Cup match vs arch rivals, Pakistan in Ahmedabad with the streak of 7-0 on line. No bigger occasion than this to prove your mettle.

His international career, his legacy and his contributions towards Indian cricket will all depend on how he lead his team today.

Babar is a great bloke. An extremely consistent and class player.

Having said that, Hitman is an out and out impact batsman. Frankly when he gets going, even Virat a couple of levels below him.

Rohit averages 49 in tests and 53 in ODIs striking at 115 this year. A late resurgence for him.

Rohit is a better white ball batsman than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

In fact, he is a better all-format opener than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

Kohli is a better batsman than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

Pakistani fans really need to learn to respect the legacy of Kohli and Rohit and stop forcing comparisons when there is no merit to begin with.

When Pakistan produces a player like him we will know. The whole world will know. You will not need to force comparisons.

Babar’s comparison is with the likes of KL Rahul, Iyer etc. who are good players but a step below Kohli and Rohit. He wouldn’t be any better than them if he was in India.

Gill also clear of Babar because he belongs in the class of Kohli and Rohit.

Back