Babar Azam vs Rohit Sharma - Who is a better cricketer overall?

Rohit is a better white ball batsman than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

In fact, he is a better all-format opener than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

Kohli is a better batsman than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

Pakistani fans really need to learn to respect the legacy of Kohli and Rohit and stop forcing comparisons when there is no merit to begin with.

When Pakistan produces a player like him we will know. The whole world will know. You will not need to force comparisons.

Babar’s comparison is with the likes of KL Rahul, Iyer etc. who are good players but a step below Kohli and Rohit. He wouldn’t be any better than them if he was in India.

Gill also clear of Babar because he belongs in the class of Kohli and Rohit.
I have to agree

If Inzimam stayed fit like he was in 1992, he could have been the HITMAN of his era

His drop in fitness and laid back attitude didn’t allow him to reach the heights Rohit has reached

He was looking to get out as soon as Kuldeep came into the attack

Babar was basically surviving at that point. He was dominating Thakur and Pandya no doubt

He got a good one eventually after a class 50.

Others needed to step up

Let’s not forget Kohli, Gill failed tonight

I have to agree

If Inzimam stayed fit like he was in 1992, he could have been the HITMAN of his era

His drop in fitness and laid back attitude didn’t allow him to reach the heights Rohit has reached

Yup

Ever since Sharma arrived, people in Bharat compared him to Inzamam in that he had so much time to bat late and has a majestic touch of class.

Inzamam was an extremely rare talent who could not fulfil his true potential.

Others needed to step up

I don’t think Kohli and Gill failed

They were not playing for themselves. Gill will take down Shaheen again in his career. That’s how he wanted to play. It was a bullet shot that went straight to Pakistan’s best catcher.

Kohli should be disappointed, but Kohli has already dismantled Pakistan plenty of times. What has Babar ever done in comparison to India?

Others needed to step up

They didn’t fail tonight. They threw their wickets away because India were chasing every ball to boost their NRR.

Pakistani bowlers are not good enough to get them out when they are playing like they normally do.

They didn’t fail tonight. They threw their wickets away because India were chasing every ball to boost their NRR.

Pakistani bowlers are not good enough to get them out when they are playing like they normally do.
Yes they threw their wickets away but that’s a failure alright.

Gill and Kohli could afford to play a carefree brand of cricket because they had trust on other batters.

Yes they threw their wickets away but that’s a failure alright.

Gill and Kohli could afford to play a carefree brand of cricket because they had trust on other batters.
Failure would be getting out to good balls. Not throwing your wicket away to nothing balls because you are trying to score quick runs not play a long innings.

Pakistan did not bowl a single wicket-taking delivery today.

Gill stays owns Shaheen. Today’s throwaway wicket didn’t change anything.

I understand the quality difference between the two teams. They simply have better batsmen and better spinners. But that's not the only reason we lost today.story. The glaring difference between the aptitudes of the two captains was the main decider.

How many times in the last 03 years have we been moaning on this forum after matches where we had the opposition by the scruff of the neck at 60-4 or 100/5 or 140/6 and yet all Babar could think about was who was going to bowl overs 40-50 ?. And today we saw Rohit bring back Bumrah the moment two wickets fell to make sure they wouldn't let us get away. What do you honestly think would have happened if that was Babar and not Rohit. I would bet my bottom dollar he would have brought on his weakest links to get through their overs and saved the front line bowlers for the death overs.

The same approach and intent was apparent in the way Babar and Rizwan got stuck in the crease when the spinners came on and that effectively sealed our fate. There was no intent whatsoever. Kuldeep and jadeja were bowling accurately but there was no significant spin or bite off the pitch. Even if the middle order hadn't collapsed, we would've reached 300 max and going by how the Indian batsmen tonked everyone around later, they would've got there in 40 overs.

How many more years do we have to suffer this. Babar is arguably the best batsman we've ever produced but also one of the the most incompetent captains we've had.

In fact, he is a better all-format opener than anyone Pakistan has ever produced.

Pakistani fans really need to learn to respect the legacy of Kohli and Rohit and stop forcing comparisons when there is no merit to begin with.

When Pakistan produces a player like him we will know. The whole world will know. You will not need to force comparisons.

Babar’s comparison is with the likes of KL Rahul, Iyer etc. who are good players but a step below Kohli and Rohit. He wouldn’t be any better than them if he was in India.

It's a bit early to compare Gill to kohli and rohit.

Not that he isn't class but for him to reach kohli and rohit's caliber he needs to dominate for years to come. He's only been around for a year.

Rohit Sharma and it's not even close the guy born insanely talented best puller of cricketing balls and when on song no one can match his timing and six hitting ability ,Guy has 3 Double Hundred and one of them 264*.
Rohit is Atg Loi opener Babar even his dream can't match Rohit's stroke play, Forget about Babar even he eclipse a many big teams playing 11 in terms of six hitting ability in powerplays .

Babar haven't eclipsed even inzimam-ul-Haq inzimam who was kind of death stare to spinners.

My favourite Indian Batsman when on song in terms of timing and six hitting ability
1. Yuvraj
2.Sachin
2.Rohit Sharma

Only in Pakistan would you appoint someone as captain and give him total authority over everything when the person is not even good enough to captain his domestic team.

I'm glad that now the comparison has shifted from Babar vs. Rohit to Babar vs. Kohli. Wait a few months, and Babar will be compared with KL and Iyer

KL seems like a different guy after his comeback, and I'm pretty sure he will put up a tough fight against Babar in the coming years.

Rohit is a fantastic white ball batter and I don't think it is fair to compare Babar to him. Rohit can take down any bowling attach when on song which I have never seen Babar do. Babar is a safe bat who plays correct cricket shots and scores at 80-90 SR at most times without taking much risk. So this is an unfair comparison. Babar is a slightly better version of Hashim Amla who did the same for South Africa. Very pleasing stroke player who scored lots of runs at a good average but that's about it.

Rohit in ODIs is even better than Kohli. But overall as a batsmen? He’s not even in the discussion to be as good as Babar.

Rohit is a fantastic white ball batter and I don't think it is fair to compare Babar to him. Rohit can take down any bowling attach when on song which I have never seen Babar do. Babar is a safe bat who plays correct cricket shots and scores at 80-90 SR at most times without taking much risk. So this is an unfair comparison. Babar is a slightly better version of Hashim Amla who did the same for South Africa. Very pleasing stroke player who scored lots of runs at a good average but that's about it.

Better version of Amla?

Same as Amla, and thats also debatable.

Comfortably Rohit Sharma is a better cricketer based on output by both.

In ODI, the gap is so huge that it's obvious.

In the test format, to bridge the gap of ODI, Babar has done nothing of note so far. Babar has played 28 away tests with only two tons. Guess what, Rohit also has only two tons outside of home as well. Both have done nothing outside of home. At home both have done equally well, but considering dead roads in recent times in Pakistan I am not sure. Babar can't play good spin as well. I have not seen many games where Sharma was playing quality spin so can't comment on that.

At this moment, clear answer is Rohit Sharma. He is a better cricketer. Having said this, Babar has time on his side and Rohit is near end of his career. Babar should get better with time in test format. In ODI, I don't think he is will be as good as Sharma anytime, but he can take a lead in test to be ahead of Sharma over all.

Better version of Amla?

Same as Amla, and thats also debatable.
No way better version of Amla if we include Tests as well. Amla scored like 3 back to back 100s in India handling spin beautifully. He also made big overseas hundreds. In ODIs definitely not effective due to lack of gear. He relied more on AB to do the damage on flat pitch. In ODIs both are somewhat similar. Just play risk free cricket and accumulate runs. Real top batsmen dominate both good bowling and bad bowling with panache. That is where guys like Kohli, ABDV separate themselves. People as a last resort to this "filter analysis" . Obviously, genuine stroke players may have occasional players compared to accumulators who take minimal risks.

Actually Hitman has improved his red ball game significantly. His numbers aren’t very much behind Babar’s in test cricket.

Rohit is a proper match-winner in ODI's. Absolutely destructive batter. Bobby is a good batter but won't win matches like that.

Ask any captain of any team whom he would have in their team, Rohit or Babar? I know what the answer will be.

I'm glad that now the comparison has shifted from Babar vs. Rohit to Babar vs. Kohli. Wait a few months, and Babar will be compared with KL and Iyer

KL seems like a different guy after his comeback, and I'm pretty sure he will put up a tough fight against Babar in the coming years.
Any current batsman is far superior than this over-hyped Babar.

Babar feels like the king of meaningless runs.

Obviously will be a Pak great and he is a good bat - it's easy to dismiss him in the wake of Saturday's defeat but irrespective of that, he has very few meaningful contributions to his name. He has never truly taken control of a game and led with an innings, taken the game away from the opponent etc.

Just a good bat. Our best bat.

In T20 cricket without any doubt its Rohit Sharma.

In ODI and Test cricket i will pick babar azam as he has better temprament and technique.

No comparison still.

Rohit is leagues ahead in ODIs.

Babar will probably overtake Rohit in tests but its stalemate as of the moment.

Rohit is way more impactful and can score really big when set. He can start off with a 50 of 80 deliveries and then in no time end up at 175 of 120 deliveries

Rohit becomes a beast when it comes to tournaments while babar has nothing to offer as of yet. Still Babat will be my pick for ODIs.

Rohit and Babar opening would be amazing. Rohit going ballistic and Babar providing stability at the other end. Both are chalk and cheese though, one a stable accumulator, the other a destroyer. Both would be comfortable batting alongwith one another, both would compliment one another.

:stokes

Rohit and Babar opening would be amazing. Rohit going ballistic and Babar providing stability at the other end. Both are chalk and cheese though, one a stable accumulator, the other a destroyer. Both would be comfortable batting alongwith one another, both would compliment one another.

:stokes
Rohit's best partner is Dhawan.

Rohit Sharma showing his class once again. Back to business

Are you serious?
Rohit is one of the best LOI top order bat.
Babar is the king of soft/meaningless runs. Rohit will be playing ahead of Babar 24/7.
runs are runs.. there is no such thing like meaningless runs on the stat charts

and babar's stats proves that he is way better than Rohit Sharma in longer formats of cricket.

and babar's stats proves that he is way better than Rohit Sharma in longer formats of cricket.
In tests they have the same average, only difference is that Babar loses and at best draws test matches at home. Forget about away tests.

Coming back to LOI. just go back to the ODI series in AUS chasing 350 plus. Babar the fake king went under run a ball to secure his 100 on a road. Next ball after his 100 got out.

Rohit Sharma is 10x better. There is really no comparison.

Rohit Sharma is league ahead of Babar in limited over formats. Its not even close .

In test cricket both hasn't done anything special. Both are average .

Yes their are. By this logic alot of batters are absolutely terrible because they suck in the runs department.

Stats wise from a runs perspective one would think Someone like Travis Head is an extremely average Batsmen, given the fact its taken him 65 games to score over 2000 odi runs whereas someone like Imam ul Haq in the same number of Matches (67) had already reached 3000 odi runs, To top ot off, Imam having a way better avg then Travis Head

So Imam ul Haq > Travis Head by your logic since the only thing Rohit Sharma and Travis Head are superior to Imam and Babar in the stat sheets are SR but both avg and runs wise babar is far superior to these 2.

But obviously no one in their right mind would ever actually claim Imam ul Haq is superior to Travis Head as a batsmen.

Unless Babar does something worthwhile consistently against better opposition instead of bashing up minnows all his life, it’s disrespectful to Rohit Sharma to be compared to Babar across all formats.

Babar should be compared with Pathum Nissanka, not classy Indian batsmen..

There is no comparison between Rohit and Babar.. Rohit is miles ahead of Babar...

I do see some delusional Babar fanboys here who still refuse to believe how pathetic Babar really is...

Obviously Babar. This thread is disrespectful to Babar. The only Indian batsman who can be compared to Babar in recent times is Kohli. Close this thread.

*First response on this thread.

No comparison , Sharma has achieved so much at a bigger stage , a true match winner on his day and world cup winner captain , Babar has done nothing much to talk about except some centuries against minnow .

Rohit's achievements have been far greater than Babar.

Babar has better stats no doubt about it but Rohit has far greater impact than him. Rohit can take the game away from the opposition in no time and can win you games single-handedly, a far greater power hitter.

If you ignore ICC tournies mostly and look at performances mainly against the bottom 5, then there’s no doubt, Babar Azam is in a league of his own.

Safe to say Bobsie The King turns into El Torido when he sees the Zimbabwe, Nepal etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Babar and Rohit are not comparable even in test matches, Rohits problem was overseas performance, but he was our best batsman in the drawn series in England.

He has good stats in Eng and Nz, in Aus too his stats are average.

But this guy has played many impactful knocks in home conditions against strong teams on turning tracks, Babar has not done anything worth the same.

Rohit's achievements have been far greater than Babar.

Babar has better stats no doubt about it but Rohit has far greater impact than him. Rohit can take the game away from the opposition in no time and can win you games single-handedly, a far greater power hitter.
Correction, better stats vs minnows and C Grade attacks.

Check his 100 vs AUS ( lost game of course.

Its actually not too bad a comparison and its quite close but I feel Babar has a higher ceiling and will finish up as being rated as far superior.

Sharma is the king of phattas. On a batting track he can do things that Babar is unable to.

Overall I think Babar will fare better across a wider range of conditions.

Unfortunately there is a certain community of Pakistanis hell bent on discrediting Babar and downplaying his achievements.
Babar may end up with better numbers and averages but there are very few batsmen who have had Hitman's ability.

Babar at the end of the day is just a marketing propaganda.

He'll only be remembered as a pakistani great and even then only by deluded Youngsters who never watched Bobby play live and will probably be listening to podcasts from an 80 year old ramiz raja.

Outside of that, no one especially SENA and India take Babar Seriously.

Babar peak was in 2019-2021 where the world assumed that one day he would be top tier because Babar had been consistently improving from 2016 all the way to 2021.

However after his form and fitness decline since 2022 that door had been shut.

Peak Babar from 2019 to 2021 reached the level of Labu/Kl Rahul etc since the NZ 100 and top scoring in 2021 t20 wc isn't an easy feat.(Althougb rahul best innings > Bobby's best innings)

However now he's a Nepal and pindi basher only given his decline.

Babar has not reached the heights expected of him.

He has regressed badly and should no longer be in comparison with batsmen like Sharma or Kohli.

My post no longer stands.
Tbf babar was never in contention to Rohit.

Babar was always in contention with Amla, 2019 odi Root, Williamson, Post 2015 Steve Smith, Labu level batters, Aka a good batsmen but one who's mostly a decent test and odi player who bats through the innings making accumulative but match contributing and winning scores and a player who's a bit out of place in t20 but given Pakistan's limited resources has to be played in the format.

Now he's rubbish, and frankly Abdullah shafiq, Saud Shakeel, Rizwan, Fakhar Zaman(In odi) have performed better then him in recent times.

Still even at his peak in 2019-2021, he never reached amla, or root or kl rahul level, He was still in the process of getting their.

At his peak babar is a much needed improvement over Misbah, Now that he's regressed he's ironically a poor man's version of Misbah againat top sides, and a poor man's version of Hafeez against Minnows.

Rohit is done in tests. Babar has 8 more years to be his team's mainstay and retire with 8K + runs. That will autmatically put him ahead of Rohit in tests.

In white ball, it's looks impossible Babar would ever match Rohit's feat or his body of work.

Tbf babar was never in contention to Rohit.

Babar was always in contention with Amla, 2019 odi Root, Williamson, Post 2015 Steve Smith, Labu level batters, Aka a good batsmen but one who's mostly a decent test and odi player who bats through the innings making accumulative but match contributing and winning scores and a player who's a bit out of place in t20 but given Pakistan's limited resources has to be played in the format.

Now he's rubbish, and frankly Abdullah shafiq, Saud Shakeel, Rizwan, Fakhar Zaman(In odi) have performed better then him in recent times.

Still even at his peak in 2019-2021, he never reached amla, or root or kl rahul level, He was still in the process of getting their.

At his peak babar is a much needed improvement over Misbah, Now that he's regressed he's ironically a poor man's version of Misbah againat top sides, and a poor man's version of Hafeez against Minnows.
As an all format batter he was in contention with the modern greats without a doubt.

Last 2 years have dented him badly.

I'm saying this from 3 years, Babar is a minnow basher who only shines against weaker teams. Flat tracks, weak bowling, impact less innings are synonymous with Babar.
Rohit is ATG ODI batsman, underachieved in t20Is, played very less tests, still Better than Babar is all aspects of the game..

Rohit is done in tests. Babar has 8 more years to be his team's mainstay and retire with 8K + runs. That will autmatically put him ahead of Rohit in tests.

In white ball, it's looks impossible Babar would ever match Rohit's feat or his body of work.
LOL 8 years.

The easiest way for me to answer this question is framing another question. Would we erase Rohit Sharma from India's history and swap him with Babar Azam? A definite no from my side.

Takes nothing away from Babar though, he is a very fine batsman and in a lot of situations, I would actually prefer him over many batsmen who have played for India over the years.

LOL 8 years.

Rohit and Babar have identical record in tests today. But while Hitman is at staring at the last chapter of his test career that went nowhere, Babar happens to have a long runway especially since he's not going to face a competition for his test spot. Can play till late 30s which means 8 years more as a test batsman. He'd simply end up with more than twice as many runs as Rohit without needing to do anything extraordinary.

I'm saying this from 3 years, Babar is a minnow basher who only shines against weaker teams. Flat tracks, weak bowling, impact less innings are synonymous with Babar.
Rohit is ATG ODI batsman, underachieved in t20Is, played very less tests, still Better than Babar is all aspects of the game..
Babar isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

The problem with Fans is that their is no inbetween. Either Babar is overhyped to the moon as if he's the next Bradman or he's crapped on as if he's a minnow basher and a no 11 opening.

The God honest truth is that Babar was a decent batsmen. His ceiling was never rohit as rohit was always beyond Bobby caliber.

However Babar was a decent accumulative batsmen from 2016-2021 in the same realm as Williamson.

He scored 3 back to back centuries and granted WI bowling is extremely weak, Getting 3 back to back 100's is impressive. He then scored a 100 on a very difficult pitch against the best bowling team of the tournament in 2019.

The issue came around 2020 and onwards during Misbah and ramiz raja's era where Babar got milestone obsessed.

We saw innings such as him scoring a 100 against Aus but losing the game because he played selfisglessly.

Afterwards his form and fitness declined massively to the point that he was the worst opener of 2022 wc and asia cup and was absolute crap in 2023 wc and 2024 wc.

Babar at his best is not a minnow basher but he's not a freaking Bradman either. He's just a decent accumulative batsmen at his best and a completely crap batter at his worst. That's the God honest truth

Back