Bad Idea?

littlemaster64

Debutant
Runs
So I was watching David Warner bat yesterday (great innings), and the commentators were discussing his bat handle. They noticed his handle was Oddly short and they went close up to it and the top of it looked funny. Mark Taylor concluded that is was short because Warner had taken a saw to it and chopped off the top bit of the handle (where the twine ends).

I like short handle bats, and mine is bothering me at the moment because its a bit longer than most bats and I feel as though its getting in the way when im playing a shot. Should I do it? Should I chop the top right off just like D.W?

Just want to know if it would Damage the bat in any way.......

It cant damage the bat cause its part of the handle. A bat is essentially made of two parts (The bat, and the handle), and they are glued into each other.

I dont know much about soaring it off but I guess you could risk a handle break. You could call a professional repairer and see if theyve done it at all and they might do it for a small fee. I know Michael Clarke requests junior handles as he likes them small, short and springier.

In theory it could work; but having it done by a professional should be preferred .... I am pretty certain that Warner (or any other batsman) would have asked for custom short handle from the bat maker; and certainly this short handle was kept in consideration for bat balance/pickup during manufacturing

Personally I won't do it ... as it can clearly affect the balance/pickup

It is not only Warner who does that, Sangakarra does it too or have done it;

17slide4.jpg

I personally won't recommend it, which bat are you talking about by the way?

I don't know if it would compromise the integrity of the handle but if Sanga is doing it then it sure works for him.

Perhaps try it on a cheapo Kashmir willow bat if you've one lying around.

I don't know if it would compromise the integrity of the handle but if Sanga is doing it then it sure works for him.

Lekin yaar feel and likeness is different from person to person.

Good idea on Kashmiri bat, very good suggestion

Lekin yaar feel and likeness is different from person to person.

Good idea on Kashmiri bat, very good suggestion

Of course. It depends a lot on how you grip the bat; if you do however grip it down low like I do, this may not be a bad idea.

I think I'll order a KW bat from somewhere and try it.

Of course. It depends a lot on how you grip the bat; if you do however grip it down low like I do, this may not be a bad idea.

I think I'll order a KW bat from somewhere and try it.

Actually try local stores I think they will sell for $20 odd bucks.

I actually hold a inch or so above shoulders.

I have also seen Sehwag doing it... I tried it once and it wasn't bad...makes the bat a bit lighter and thus increasing the speed of the bat while executing shots.

Here is the pic.

Attachments

• 2011%5C87%5C2011-03-28T125722Z_01_MOH218_RTRIDSP_0_CRICKET-WORLD.jpg
    2011%5C87%5C2011-03-28T125722Z_01_MOH218_RTRIDSP_0_CRICKET-WORLD.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 168
That is an old picture; it was sponsored by SG showing how Sehwag did not like his BAS :))

I only have 2 bats which I use while playing with a hard cricket ball,
A CA gold 8000 and a hand made Pakistani bat.

I only have 2 bats which I use while playing with a hard cricket ball,
A CA gold 8000 and a hand made Pakistani bat.

Fair enough mate; last time I tried playing with more than one bat it was really cumbersome. So I think we need only one at a time :)

This, I'm pretty sure it will affect the pickup as you are taking out the weight from the handle/hands.

CD Bhai ,
i disagree on this , i chopped my Gray nicolls Dual T20 from the handle coz i was feeling strange amount of shock or wateva u call when i play a drive or square cut but after chopping my bat went like rocket and i was very happy with it :)

So OP you can do it if you are not comfortable with that :umarakmal

JAZAKALLAHKHAIR

Woops, didn't know so many batsmen did it!! Cd, its my GN powerbow. When I held it up to my older GN bat, the blade was shorter and the handle was longer. And I also feel its getting in the way when I play a shot.

But I think its safe to do it on another bat first before I mess with my next season's match bat!

I'll do it on my K-willow GM and tell u guys what happened....

CD Bhai ,
i disagree on this , i chopped my Gray nicolls Dual T20 from the handle coz i was feeling strange amount of shock or wateva u call when i play a drive or square cut but after chopping my bat went like rocket and i was very happy with it :)

So OP you can do it if you are not comfortable with that :umarakmal

JAZAKALLAHKHAIR

Hmm interesting.

The strips/springs in handle really absorb the impact of ball when it strikes the bat so maybe by cutting that piece rebound increased as less energy was being lost (eg absorbed).

Pick up as I earlier said differs from person to person I mean it is not necessary what I like would be your liking.

Woops, didn't know so many batsmen did it!! Cd, its my GN powerbow. When I held it up to my older GN bat, the blade was shorter and the handle was longer. And I also feel its getting in the way when I play a shot.

But I think its safe to do it on another bat first before I mess with my next season's match bat!

I'll do it on my K-willow GM and tell u guys what happened....

Good you don't want to mess with your $250 :))

Salaam.

Very interesting thread :)
Looking forward to my new GM to arrive this week, maybe I can do this to my old bat just for fun? :yk

Sometimes I feel that the bat is a bit too long and I can't play the shots properly, or maybe that was when I was a crappish batisman :13:

Anyway, interesting thread as I did not know if it. Will see how it goes with the new bat next season :)

Can someone post more revealing pictures btw?

So I ended up chopping off the top of the handle on my old GM K-Willow, and I was quite surprised to see the results. It seems as though it completely changed the entire feel of the bat. Now it feels very bottom heavy and for some reason im having a hard time swinging it and my timing is off too! Its quite odd how such a light weight piece of cane can make such a huge difference!! Good thing I didnt try it with my $290 bat!

So I ended up chopping off the top of the handle on my old GM K-Willow, and I was quite surprised to see the results. It seems as though it completely changed the entire feel of the bat. Now it feels very bottom heavy and for some reason im having a hard time swinging it and my timing is off too! Its quite odd how such a light weight piece of cane can make such a huge difference!! Good thing I didnt try it with my $290 bat!

Told ya :p

If it is not balanced then why don't you make a counter balance at the top of the handle like this

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z366/jjg140271/IMG_4950.jpg

If you can make a proper counter balance with the right weight then the bat won't feel bottom heavy.:11:

Back