Barcelona FC close ALL academies in India since opening it 14 years ago

Theo_14

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
Do you know how insane it is for Barcelona to have had several academies in India for almost 14 years and out of 1.4bn population not one wonder kid/talent came out of India lol.

====

FC Barcelona has shared with the families of the Barça Academies in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Pune that they will be closing down starting July 1, 2024. The journey of Barça in India began back in 2010, and since then, many boys and girls have learned to play football with the values of Barça. They have also had the opportunity to participate in two BA APAC events in 2019 and 2020, and have consistently been part of the 11 editions of the Barça Academy World Cup held in Barcelona during Holy Week.

In a statement, FC Barcelona expressed gratitude to all the families for their trust in the project over the years, as well as to all the coaches, local staff, and Conscient Football, a partner that has collaborated on the Barça Academies project in India throughout this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have it across the world, it didn’t do anything for non football countries that includes China.

Plus I’m sure it was more for money making they weren’t scouting but training

14 years is not a long time if you want to develop genuine world class talent in a non footballing country.

It will have probably helped embedded some football culture into India and produced some good local level talent in players and coaches who can help to continue to grow the game.

Thinking that they would produce another messi is unreasonable.

India's ambition level for football isn't to become a top 10 country. It's to try and qualify for a world cup maybe the academy has produced players that can beat Saudi Arabia etc.

Do you know how insane it is for Barcelona to have had several academies in India for almost 14 years and out of 1.4bn population not one wonder kid/talent came out of India lol.

====

FC Barcelona has shared with the families of the Barça Academies in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Pune that they will be closing down starting July 1, 2024. The journey of Barça in India began back in 2010, and since then, many boys and girls have learned to play football with the values of Barça. They have also had the opportunity to participate in two BA APAC events in 2019 and 2020, and have consistently been part of the 11 editions of the Barça Academy World Cup held in Barcelona during Holy Week.

In a statement, FC Barcelona expressed gratitude to all the families for their trust in the project over the years, as well as to all the coaches, local staff, and Conscient Football, a partner that has collaborated on the Barça Academies project in India throughout this time.

From my limited knowledge of the Barca academy in Pune, I can tell you it was pretty farcical. This wasn't an academy going out scouting and hunting for talent. Just a place for upper middle class parents to send their kids dabbling in football to. Don't know whether Barca was making any money off it but it certainly wasn't going to produce any Messis.

From my limited knowledge of the Barca academy in Pune, I can tell you it was pretty farcical. This wasn't an academy going out scouting and hunting for talent. Just a place for upper middle class parents to send their kids dabbling in football to. Don't know whether Barca was making any money off it but it certainly wasn't going to produce any Messis.
Who were the coaches?

Who were the coaches?
Local coaches with an occasional visit from Barca academy coaches in Spain apparently. A few of the local coaches had travelled to Spain for a few months to observe and learn training techniques from the Barca Academy. No idea how structured it was,

I would imagine the long term aim would be to raise generations of future Barca fans who would buy into Barcelona products and services.

I would imagine the long term aim would be to raise generations of future Barca fans who would buy into Barcelona products and services.
Maybe. Didn't even feel that thought out to be honest. Very disorganised and slapdash.

I suspect this was some royalty/payment dispute with the local partner they had. The company was literally slapping the name on any football academy that was willing to pay a bit. Pune itself had 5 to 6 'Barca Football Academies.' I suspect the bigger cities like Mumbai and Delhi had heaps more.

Back