Beginning of the end for Younis Khan?

jeetu

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Younis Khan last 4 Test scores - 0, 2, 1, 2. First time in his career that he has not made double figures in 4 consecutive innings <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/802485783722688512">November 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last few Innings

Runs BF SR Dismissal Inns Opposition Ground Start Date
0 5 0 caught 3 v West Indies Sharjah 30-Oct-16
2 8 25 caught 1 v New Zealand Christchurch 17-Nov-16
1 8
caught 3 v New Zealand Christchurch 17-Nov-16
2 13 15.38 caught 2 v New Zealand Hamilton 25-Nov-16

this is typical Younis outside the subcontinent in the last 4 or 5 years. He has one big score amidst a plethora of failures. unluckily for him this is only a two Test tour so he doesnt have much time to rectify his record for this series

Just like Ponting then he fails to understand that he is done. It will only hurt his statistics even though we all know he doesn't care about numbers.

Worse than that, 9 failures in 10 Test innings outside Asia in 2016.

After this Test, the next six innings are against taller, faster bowlers on bouncier wickets.

If he tries to hold on for 10,000 Test runs he will ruin his reputation.

He should probably retire at the end of this Test.

Please, you're not supposed to criticize YK. For any outburst and criticism PCB and selectors have provided you with Ahmad Shehzad and Umar Akmal, or you can do the same with Umar Amin. Younis Khan is on a "special seat" in the team and will stay , irrespective of his performance or lack of it. Since Imran Farhat had vacated that seat, Younis Khan has occupied it.

Same thing was said by Moin Khan after Sachin's performance in Pakistan way back in early 2006.

You need to realize that Younis Khan is a legend, and he'll find a way to come back and be the best amongst the world again.

Same thing was said by Moin Khan after Sachin's performance in Pakistan way back in early 2006.

Sachin was 34. Younis admitted in a recent interview that he is 43.

I've just got back from the Adelaide Oval. Starc and even Hazlewood will be far too fast and get far too much lift for Younis (or Misbah) to handle with their aged reflexes.

You need to realize that Younis Khan is a legend, and he'll find a way to come back and be the best amongst the world again.

You're right, he is a bit too young at the moment, give him 3-4 years more and let Pakistan lose couple of series and the "legend" will score some runs in an inning . Wish Indian would have some "legend" like him in their team.

Younis will wait till he gets 10k runs then he will retire. He wants to be the first Pakistani to do that and since he is so close he wont retire unless he bats like an absolute tailender in australia and averages under 10 in Aus.

Younis will wait till he gets 10k runs then he will retire. He wants to be the first Pakistani to do that and since he is so close he wont retire unless he bats like an absolute tailender in australia and averages under 10 in Aus.
No, he is not batting like tailenders, they go into double figure , sometimes.

He has at least three more hundreds in him. One of those will be in Australia, InshAllah.

He's an ATG. The third, if not second best batsman of his generation and Pakistan's greatest of all time.

He has at least three more hundreds in him. One of those will be in Australia, InshAllah.

He's an ATG. The third, if not second best batsman of his generation and Pakistan's greatest of all time.

Curious - Who are 1 and 2 in your book?

Personally, i hope YK and 10k doesn't end up hampering Pak similar to another batsman and landmark a few years ago!

Curious - Who are 1 and 2 in your book?

Personally, i hope YK and 10k doesn't end up hampering Pak similar to another batsman and landmark a few years ago!

Amla and Sangakkara. Yeah, I don't want him chasing that landmark either. I want him to continue for a few more months because I know he will come clutch soon enough. Seen this same scenario play out several times in Khan's career. No other batsman has served out more pies to his haters than Younis.

Amla and Sangakkara. Yeah, I don't want him chasing that landmark either. I want him to continue for a few more months because I know he will come clutch soon enough. Seen this same scenario play out several times in Khan's career. No other batsman has served out more pies to his haters than Younis.

Interesting choices. Personally, i think, going forward, YK would come good and score big once in 5 innings. Question is, whether that is good or bad for Pak. Bad in the sense, one in five means most often than not the other 4 would have resulted in low team totals and losing or not winning the tests. The one in which he scores may be a match winning or saving one.

Sachin was 34. Younis admitted in a recent interview that he is 43.

I've just got back from the Adelaide Oval. Starc and even Hazlewood will be far too fast and get far too much lift for Younis (or Misbah) to handle with their aged reflexes.

What? Can you provide a link for that interview?

Interesting choices. Personally, i think, going forward, YK would come good and score big once in 5 innings. Question is, whether that is good or bad for Pak. Bad in the sense, one in five means most often than not the other 4 would have resulted in low team totals and losing or not winning the tests. The one in which he scores may be a match winning or saving one.

If the other batsmen can pull their weight, Pakistan will do quite well.

According to various interviews he says he was born in 1975 so even if he was knocking in a century every other match it would still be the beginning of the end. He's not superman, the body will give up soon. Otherwise there would be loads of 41/42 year olds playing test cricket.

Seems like the reflexes are going. And that is being shown clearer on non asian tracks.

Younis is a tricky situation for Micky.

I'm pretty certain, he wants to drop Younis for the tour of Aus because it is only going to get tougher for him, but it will draw a backlash from the media and co. from Pak.

Only a proper backing from the pcb can help him, if he wants to take that bold decision.

Younus Khan just like many asian cricketers before him, as well as Tendulkar, are obsessed with stats...he will cry all the way to the bank until he gets his 10,000 runs...!

Its just the way it is...we've seen it before with his pathetic insistence on playing odis....

Its just unfortunate that most asian batsman cant understand that...

"Ke jeetay huway match mein 40, haaray huway match ke 200 se bahot behter hai".....to quote Tipu.

Yes his time is slowly coming to an end. The drying up of runs suggests he is now not performing to his usual level. Still we should give him a few more series to see if he can regain it, he deserves that much.

But it should not be YK's choice whether he wants to complete 10 K ( which he will not ) or not, decision has be selectors, drop him.

But it should not be YK's choice whether he wants to complete 10 K ( which he will not ) or not, decision has be selectors, drop him.
Is it a do-it-yourself selection panel? So you get to choose yourself if you are Younis or Misbah?

Can Pakistan continue to carry Younis Khan?

I am on record in my belief that Younis Khan is one of the top three Pakistan batsmen of all time, and my favourite.

But this is his record on his last three Test tours outside Asia:

2012-13 in South Africa
5 failures in 6 innings, plus a century on a deck with no lateral movement.

2016 in England
6 failures in 7 innings, plus a double-century on a deck with no lateral movement.

2016-17 in New Zealand
4 failures in 4 innings.

How can ANY team carry a Number 4 batsman who has failed in 15 of his last 17 innings outside Asia.

But more to the point, why would you pick a batsman in his forties who is so consistent.....in his failures?

There is a reason why guys the same age have long since retired (Ponting, Michael Vaughan, Sangakkara).

Can't the selectors see that Younis Khan's reflexes have gone?

Give him the Australia Series dont want to destroy the career of a young player

I fail to get this..what's the point of having seniors if they fail on tough assignments? You might as well have young players on roads like UAE and back them to win than carry seniors who fail abroad.

Our players have a big selfish ego they don't accept it's time for them to retire.

Not like they have a choice. He will hold PCB hostage.

With what?

I know that Younis is an exemplary professional and a hard trainer.

But he has clearly lost his hand-eye coordination - hence also the dropped catches in England. And unlike the even-older Misbah, he doesn't play the ball as late, so losing a split-second of reaction time is catastrophic to his technique - which is presumably where the bizarre dancing came from.

You might as well pick Javed Miandad.

If not Younis then what are the options all N00bs maybe if Umar Akmal was ready

Back