Best and Worst Commentators from each country?

Ian Chappell has touched upon this in many interviews that the old Channel 9 crew got extensive guidance at the start of every season and had a hands-on producer in David Hill who understood intimately how to showcase the game.

However, this started to change in the late 90s as Kerry Packer lost day-to-day interest in the game and deferred to network executives on hiring decisions leading to folks such as Taylor, Healy, and Slater being hired. Furthermore, none of those guys were given any training on how to commentate and present the game.

Once Packer died, and Benaud was demoted from his position as presenter, the whole vibe in the box changed and allowed Taylor, Healy, and Slater to run amok. Sadly, Channel 9 never seemed to recover from that, and Sky became the gold standard for cricket broadcasting around the world.

Most broadcasts these days are frankly unlistenable, but Sky and, to an extent, the Whisper production for the CWI broadcast remain notable exceptions.

I'd like to change my worst Indian commentator pick. After listening to Murali Karthik I am actually missing Manjrekar. The guy has one of the worst, most annoying voices I've had the displeasure of hearing commentating on cricket. Also has very little insight to offer.

Ian Chappell has touched upon this in many interviews that the old Channel 9 crew got extensive guidance at the start of every season and had a hands-on producer in David Hill who understood intimately how to showcase the game.

However, this started to change in the late 90s as Kerry Packer lost day-to-day interest in the game and deferred to network executives on hiring decisions leading to folks such as Taylor, Healy, and Slater being hired. Furthermore, none of those guys were given any training on how to commentate and present the game.

Once Packer died, and Benaud was demoted from his position as presenter, the whole vibe in the box changed and allowed Taylor, Healy, and Slater to run amok. Sadly, Channel 9 never seemed to recover from that, and Sky became the gold standard for cricket broadcasting around the world.

Most broadcasts these days are frankly unlistenable, but Sky and, to an extent, the Whisper production for the CWI broadcast remain notable exceptions.

At this point I am wistful for Taylor, Healy, Slater. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be after hearing to Guha, Waugh and Warne.

Australia - Best: Ponting, Worst: Slater
England - Best: Hussain, Worst: Pietersen
India - Best: Gavaskar, Worst: Sivaramakrishnan
New Zealand - Best: Smith, Worst: Doull
Pakistan - Best: Sohail, Worst: Ramiz
South Africa - Best: Pollock, Worst: Ntini
Sri Lanka - Best: Sangakkara, Worst: Abeysinghe
West Indies - Best: Bishop, Worst: Ganga

I don't know what I was thinking. Sohail was an utter embarrassment in the PSL. I'll change this pick to Bazid Khan. Shows the utter lack of good commentary options in Pakistan.

At this point I am wistful for Taylor, Healy, Slater. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be after hearing to Guha, Waugh and Warne.

Channel 7 are much better, simply because they have Ricky Ponting. Their test coverage is also less centred on 'clueless banter' between the commentators.

Fox, on the other hand, possess all the worst excesses of Channel 9, simply because most of the production staff have been hired from the old 9 crew.

Channel 7 are much better, simply because they have Ricky Ponting. Their test coverage is also less centred on 'clueless banter' between the commentators.

Fox, on the other hand, possess all the worst excesses of Channel 9, simply because most of the production staff have been hired from the old 9 crew.

Unfortunately I don't have access to Channel 7 although I wish I do. Ponting, Fleming and Slater sound so much better than the people Fox have rounded up, which includes the senile and tone-deaf Kerry 'O Keefe.

Ponting in particular is probably my favorite Australian commentator.

Harsha is probably my favourite commentator, his analysis is almost always on point, and he's a humble, neutral commentator.

I hate Manjrekar's commentary, always favors one team and contradicts himself repeatedly. He'll call a bowler mediocre and then become a ****** of the bowler when he takes a wicket.

Ramiz is okay, not excellent, not awful either, he's pretty mediocre.

Apart from Manjrekar, I don't really hate any commentators.

Its good that there is an additional commentary panel called 'Select Dugout' in the IPL where they focus a lot more on the technical/strategic details.

Brian Lara, Brett Lee, KP, Swann, Scott Styris, Sanjay Bangar, Dean Jones (unfortunately passed away in the middle of the last IPL) are all pretty decent. They also used to have Sanga and Hayden at one point.

I'd like to change my worst Indian commentator pick. After listening to Murali Karthik I am actually missing Manjrekar. The guy has one of the worst, most annoying voices I've had the displeasure of hearing commentating on cricket. Also has very little insight to offer.

Thanks for making this point. Murali K is the rank worst combined with L Sivaramakrishnan who ruin the viewing experience. I had to buy VPN in the middle of a game to get Sky.
Another notably below par irritant was Russell Arnold. Loved the way Ramiz schooled him.

The golden voices are Ian Chappell, Sunny G and Mike Atherton. Cricket insights and experience are more important than some chatterbox whos narrating the score or describing a shot, blurting out a statistic.

Mamoon you might enjoy Graeme Swann then, he’s a bit cheeky.

Side Note: I like the way you think, your posts very interesting always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain from England are best. Michael Holding from West Indies and Wasim Akram from Pakistan are worst.

Thanks for making this point. Murali K is the rank worst combined with L Sivaramakrishnan who ruin the viewing experience. I had to buy VPN in the middle of a game to get Sky.
Another notably below par irritant was Russell Arnold. Loved the way Ramiz schooled him.

The golden voices are Ian Chappell, Sunny G and Mike Atherton. Cricket insights and experience are more important than some chatterbox whos narrating the score or describing a shot, blurting out a statistic.

Not a big fan of Chappell either. I feel like he has gone somewhat senile in his later years. Although he is still lightyears ahead of the likes of someone like Murali Karthik. But yes Atherton and Gavaskar have always been great. Atherton would probably be my favorite commentator along with Holding.

Even the other commentators are now struggling to understand what Ntini is saying.

Too many ex players are getting commentary gigs based on their name and exploits on the pitch which shouldnt be the case

Nobody wants to listen to someone who cant analyse on air, speak clearly or have decent vocabularly or voice

Too many speak for the sake of speaking without any knowledge or training on the nuances of broadcasting

Knowing what to say and when to say is an art in itself and very very necessary

Its no wonder some of the best commentators that have ever been have none or very little cricketing experience and the poorest are ex cricketers

Last edited:
Agree with what people are saying here. Commentary is an art and being an ex player shouldn’t automatically qualify you for it. Australia’s commentary is a good example. One of the reasons it’s so awful now is because they have been chosen to commentate only because they are ex players

I actually Sikandar Bakht. His supposedly serious analysis were so funny and made me rather interested. In other words, he was so bad that he was good.

Rambo just called babar azam babar zaman lol

I don't find Ntini as irritating as Mbangwa with his stupid catchphrases. One of the worst high-profile commentators around, on par with Ramiz arguably.

Love the passion of Bangladeshi commentators

Zimbabwe score 290 odd and Bangladesh takes a few wickets and the commie Shamim Chowdury celebrates as if Bangladesh has defeated Pakistan in second super over in WT20 final. :hasan2

Love the passion

The worst commentary I’ve ever heard in my life was during Pakistan’s 2015 tour of Bangladesh. Unbearable stuff really. Though I love listening to them when their team is losing.

i don't know if you can call it passion, more delusional rather than anything else. They just love to shout.

Never really liked Shamim or Athar Ali Khan. I did enjoy Sanath Jaysuriya commentating, his accent is funny.

Former Sri Lankan all-rounder Farveez Maharoof will join the international commentary team for the remainder of the ongoing India tour of Sri Lanka.

The 36-year-old will be replacing senior commentator Roshan Abeysinghe in the Com-box as Abeysinghe withdrew from the commitment to seek medical attention.

He will join the commentary team on the 3rd ODI which is to be played tomorrow, 23rd July, and continue through the 3 T20Is.

Maharoof has been growing steadily in the international commentary field post-retirement. Following this series, he will fly out to Bangladesh as a neutral expert commentator for Australia’s tour of Bangladesh.

https://www.thepapare.com/maharoof-joins-sri-lanka-vs-india-commentary-team/?tp_refresh=true

Aus: Mark Taylor, Richie Benaud (best)
BD: best none worst all
Eng: Naser Hussein, Atherton, Vaughan (best) worst none
India: best none worst all
Pakistan: best no one worst all
Srilanka: Best Sanath Jaysuriya & Ranjith Fernando worst sangakara
Windies: Best Holidng, Ian Bishop worst none

Ian Bishop is the best commentator for me. Worst is everyone from subcontinent.

I've really become a fan of Ian Ward in recent times. He's a terrific commentator in my opinion.

Sky Sports probably has the best and most well-rounded commentary team. The analysis between overs is always incisive and illuminating. Atherton, Ward, Holding, Hussain, Bumble, Knight are all good to excellent at their jobs.

And even commentators like Sanga and Rob Key, who aren't particularly great, are is still light-years ahead of most other commentators in the world.

Didn't have anyone from West Indies in the worst column when I made this thread. But now I would have to put Curtly Ambrose in that column. Very rarely do you see someone as ill-suited to commentary as him.

Best: Geoffrey Boycott and Bob Willis, Navjot Singh Sidhu (for entartainment)

I had forgotten what an annoying commentator KP was. He's right up there with Warne when it comes to being really annoying to hear.

Why are BD commentators so cringe?

I'm sure they are nice people, but they come across as extremely desperate.

For example, Shamim mentioning multiple times how Taijul deserves a wicket. Anything besides that will be a travesty.

I'm sure it's not intended in that way, but it comes across as extremely petulant. They are clearly passionate.

That was uncalled for after having thrashed by Abd Ali and Asad shafique in the second innings. If anything Abid Ali deserved to complete his century.

Worst ones are Bangladeshi and Indian commentators.
Ian bishop is probably the best commentator along with Nasser hussain and Atherton.

Athar ali khan's missing shakib tamim and taskin and assurring every1 things would have been very different with those guys playing

Wasim Akram just asked presenter is Haider Ali in the squad… do your basic homework when you get hired

Didn't have anyone from West Indies in the worst column when I made this thread. But now I would have to put Curtly Ambrose in that column. Very rarely do you see someone as ill-suited to commentary as him.

Samuel Badree. Nauseating to listen to. Too much nasality. It gives me flu.

Wasim Akram just asked presenter is Haider Ali in the squad… do your basic homework when you get hired

Akram is pretty poor. Doesn't have great command of the English language and always states the obvious

Badree and Ganga are awful. They point out nothing but the bleeding obvious.

Curtly is fun though because he doesn't hide his emotions when WI are doing something stupid :))

I just don't enjoy Curtly's delivery. He sounds too much like someone who is not a commentator.

Bish is probably the gold standard of commentary in West Indies right now. He's articulate, doesn't throw around hyperboles like so many of his compatriots, and knows how to do the big moments perfectly.

Really miss Tony Cozier though. He was absolutely amazing.

- Sana Mir
- Bazid Khan
- Urooj Mumtaz

- Wasim
- Waqar

This is only line-up of Pakistani commentators that is tolerable.

Wasim is awful Very very poor

Always reading the scorecard, going off topic and cutting other commies off

He gets these gigs on name only

Urooj is excellent tbf, really good command of English

Sikander Bakht is the best Pakistan English commentator. Anyone whose followed Pakistan domestics will say that he is defo much better than Wasim, Waqar, raises interesting points and is very articulate. Unfortunately, as he’s not a former player, he’s not yet commentated on a big Pakistan series. I hope he gets a go in the PSL next year.

Tariq Saeed, for Urdu commentary, is truly incredible. He like an old school radio commentator, who gives you a full picture of what’s going on, but will also mix in some fun factoids from time to time.

It’s also been really heartening to see David Gower back in the commentary box in Pakistan. The man is so eloquent, but never comes across as stuck up. He was such an affable personality when playing, that Alhamdullillah it comes through in his commentary. Just very likeable.

Deep das gupta, murali karthik. Both absolutely awful. How long does their contract continue? Fans deserve better for home matches ðŸ˜*

I just don't enjoy Curtly's delivery. He sounds too much like someone who is not a commentator.

Bish is probably the gold standard of commentary in West Indies right now. He's articulate, doesn't throw around hyperboles like so many of his compatriots, and knows how to do the big moments perfectly.

Really miss Tony Cozier though. He was absolutely amazing.

Bishop and Holding are amazing. Holding has a little bit of grumpiness in him and isn't afraid to bouncers during commentating while Bishop is a guy who is more optimistic and always trying to look at the positive side of things.

Sikander Bakht is the best Pakistan English commentator. Anyone whose followed Pakistan domestics will say that he is defo much better than Wasim, Waqar, raises interesting points and is very articulate. Unfortunately, as he’s not a former player, he’s not yet commentated on a big Pakistan series. I hope he gets a go in the PSL next year.

Tariq Saeed, for Urdu commentary, is truly incredible. He like an old school radio commentator, who gives you a full picture of what’s going on, but will also mix in some fun factoids from time to time.

It’s also been really heartening to see David Gower back in the commentary box in Pakistan. The man is so eloquent, but never comes across as stuck up. He was such an affable personality when playing, that Alhamdullillah it comes through in his commentary. Just very likeable.

One thing people confuse the good Sikandar Bakht the analyst/commentator with that clown Sikandar Bakht who played a few games for Pakistan and is always chugging tripe.

He comes across as the by the book commentator who is a thorough professional.

During one of the presentation ceremonies after interviewing the Pakistani captain and MOM, he made sure to paraphrase what our players said for the audience who don't understand Urdu. A minor thing but speaks of how wellhe understands his job.

One thing people confuse the good Sikandar Bakht the analyst/commentator with that clown Sikandar Bakht who played a few games for Pakistan and is always chugging tripe.

He comes across as the by the book commentator who is a thorough professional.

During one of the presentation ceremonies after interviewing the Pakistani captain and MOM, he made sure to paraphrase what our players said for the audience who don't understand Urdu. A minor thing but speaks of how wellhe understands his job.

But why did the media gave up on him then? He was miles ahead than most commies I have seen in Pakistan...

But why did the media gave up on him then? He was miles ahead than most commies I have seen in Pakistan...

In Pakistan, more weightage is given to the past cricketers rather than their ability to commentate. Actually, all around the world, there have been very few pure commentators who have never had any professional cricket experience.

Bishop and Holding are amazing. Holding has a little bit of grumpiness in him and isn't afraid to bouncers during commentating while Bishop is a guy who is more optimistic and always trying to look at the positive side of things.

I loved Holding. Sadly he too has retired.

I still think Bishop is the best commentator going around . Can provide insightful analysis and call the big moments like the World T20 final over .

I think Shane Watson and Dale Steyn can be very good, unique commentators. Very impressed with their commentary at the last World T20.

India
Best - Haraha Bhogle, Akash Chopra
Worst - Arun Lal, Ajit Agarkar, L Siva

Mark Butcher still doing his best to hype up Pakistan even after this shambolic performance

Just glad it was Mark Butcher calling the last ball otherwise Wasim would have ruined it by reading stats.

Bazid Khan, Sana Mir and Sikandar Bakht are Pakistan's best commentators.

The rest are just atricious. Can't stand Urooj, Waz and Waqar in particular.

Bazid Khan, Sana Mir and Sikandar Bakht are Pakistan's best commentators.

The rest are just atricious. Can't stand Urooj, Waz and Waqar in particular.

Sikander Bakht is comfortably the best amongst them. Articulate, can do play-by-play, can engage in banter, can regurgitate stats and can also raise interesting points. The complete package. It’s a travesty we don’t see him in more high profile international matches.

Sana Mir always has good points to make, however she’s not articulate enough in English to make them. That’s a big drawback for me. On the other hand her Urdu commentary is good, because she doesn’t have that extra language barrier.

Bazid and Urooj are both serviceable. Given how professionally Urooj conducts herself at presentations, I believe she’s getting more comfortable with the role. And then we’ll see her be more open with her opinions and come across better.

Waz and Waqar currently get gigs because they were great players. Commentary on the other hand is totally different ball game. Wasim can sometimes make a somewhat interesting comment about a fast bowling action, but otherwise it’s just stats regurgitation, score summaries, old stories from his playing days and repeating the latest narrative without offering solutions.

It’s actually a damning statement indictment of production companies that whenever they think of Pakistan commentators it has to always be Wasim, Waqar and Bazid. I really hope Sikander can get a chance soon.

Last edited:
Sunil Gavaskar has to be the most boring commentator in the world and hs is too biased

*20 needed of 6 balls*

Waz - “Run Rate Required at 20 now”

Urooj Mumtaz is probably the best commentator in Pakistan. She’s the only one that knows when to speak and when not to.

I think Wasim Akram read your replies in this thread :asif
[video]https://fb.watch/gbFBln4syx/[/video]

I still think Bishop is the best commentator going around . Can provide insightful analysis and call the big moments like the World T20 final over .

I think Shane Watson and Dale Steyn can be very good, unique commentators. Very impressed with their commentary at the last World T20.

I agree. I have loads of time for Ian Bishop. For me he's on the verge of becoming an ATG commentator.

Some commentators are great analysts, some are great entertainers. Bishop can do both.

In addition to his analysis, he knows how to add thrills without reaching. Who can forget when he was commentating during that final when Braithwaite had hit those sixes against Stokes.

I like Mark Taylor Michael Clarke and Shane Watson
Nasser Hussain David Lloyd Ian Bishop and sadly none of the rest

Your most favorite and least favorite commentators

Bill Lawry ~ The absolute best for me.
Ian Smith
Bumble
Gower
Hussain.

Honorable mention:
Mbangwa
Bishop
Sikander Bakht (not the cricketer)
Sana Mir

LEAST favorite
Waqar Younus
Ramiz Raja
Tony Greig
Holding

ABSOLUTE CRINGEWORTHY
Ravi Shastri
Harsha Bhogle
Manjrekar

I follow cricket by radio these days. Commentators have to work harder there than on telly.

On BBC radio I like Victor Marks and Jonathan Agnew. I have found Waqar OK.

I've got to say, I have developed a likening for Sikander Bakht.

His voice sounds pleasing to ears and he has a nice lexicon.

I wish PCB makes him the default commentator and drops the irritating Bazid/Waqar duo.

I've got to say, I have developed a likening for Sikander Bakht.

His voice sounds pleasing to ears and he has a nice lexicon.

I wish PCB makes him the default commentator and drops the irritating Bazid/Waqar duo.

Urooj as well, can’t stand her!

At the moment Pakistan has some of the worst commentators out there.

People who are scared to ask tough questions, people who won't criticise players, people who won't pick any faults in the team, the skipper or the think-tank.

Yes men/women make for dull commentary.

Sikander Bakht is a really good commentator.

Bazid Khan is the worst commentator ever. The guy has got the most boring voice, and he tries to come across as Mr Know It All.

I hope Rameez Raja returns to commentary. Yeah, he used to talk nonsense most of the time, but he has an entertaining voice and that is what commentary is all about.

Bazid Khan, Sikandar Bakht and Urooj Mumtaz - all of them have good English skills and hardly make any English gaffes. The downside to their commentary is that none of them have the voices nor the enthusiasm required for commentary. So it sounds pretty bland. But I'd still rather listen to these three than the likes of Wasim/Waqar/Amir Sohail. Ramiz has no knowledge about Pakistan cricketers but has the voice and enthusiasm for commentary.

For me, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig and now Ian Smith remains the gold standard. Imagine Tony Grieg commentating on that Naseem Shah's reverse swinging yorker to Shipley. He would've made that moment so much more enjoyable. All those mickey mouse Sharjah tournaments were lit up with Greig's commentary. One of the reasons why Pakistanis love that Sharjah tied game against Sri Lanka was because of Tony Greig and Barry Richards commentating. Imagine Bazid Khan and Amir Sohail in that moment. Horror.

Last edited:
Back