Best matches of the T20 World Cup 2024

RedwoodOriginal

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
The wrestling fan in me always gives alot of importance to match quality. And despite all the issues this tournament had, it also had alot of really amazing matches which is not something you always see in most ICC tournaments. Keep in mind that this list is very subjective. There is no single best match. Everyone likes what they like. I'm just interested to see what matches other people here enjoyed. Naturally, me being a Pakistani fan means there are no Pakistan matches here. I have also taken the time to write very descriptive summaries of my favorite matches (because I felt like it) which all of you can totally skip and don't have to read.

Honorable Mentions: South Africa v England, Bangladesh v Sri Lanka

5. West Indies v South Africa - (Super 8’s) - Bridgetown, Barbados

Two very good sides met in this do-or-die Super 8’s encounter in Barbados, with a spot in the semi-finals at stake. Many people were hoping this was where South Africa would show their true colors, but Markram’s side did the opposite, coming out with a plan in mind to strangle West Indies with spin. It paid off, with the South African spinners returning figures of 5-79 in 12 overs, in an innings that included 57 dot balls, and restricting West Indies to a very chaseable 135—-which got reduced to 124 because of the rain. South Africa came out all guns blazing, making use of the wet outfield to put the West Indies spinners to the sword early on. But quick wickets put them in an all too familiar situation. Rovman Powell, much to the surprise of everyone, brought on Roston Chase much too late having been discouraged by the performance of his spinners earlier in the innings. South Africa followed with a few more displays of harakiri as Alzarri Joseph started zeroing in. But it was too little too late as Marco Jansen held his nerve to take South Africa over the finish line and into the semi-finals.

4. Nepal v South Africa - (Group D) - Arnos Vale, St. Vincent & Grenadines

A great low-scoring thriller, the likes of which we don’t see enough of in T20s these days. Nepal’s spinners strangled South Africa on in very spin-friendly pitch Arnos Vale to a meager 115-7. When Nepal came out to bat, all signs seemed to point towards a remarkable upset with Rabada putting down a sitter in the first over and the Nepalese batters showing good intent against one of the best bowling attacks in the tournament. Tabraiz Shamsi pulled South Africa back into the game though and once South Africa started applying the squeeze, Nepal started to crack under the pressure. Ultimately, it came down to 8 off the final over and despite getting hit for a boundary on the third Baartman just about managed to hold his nerve as South Africa held on to win a low-scoring thriller by a run.

3. Bangladesh v Afghanistan - (Super 8’s) - Arnos Vale, St. Vincent & Grenadines

Afghanistan’s World Cup campaign had already exceeded all expectations coming into their do-or-die encounter against Bangladesh in rainy Arnos Vale, on a highly sluggish surface. The multiple games within a game made this match one of the most exciting ones in the tournament. Australia, Bangladesh and Afghanistan all had legitimate chances of qualifying. Bangladesh came out with the ball with alot of fire and restricted Afghanistan to 115-6. But the fact that they had to chase it down in 12.3 overs ensured Afghanistan were always in the game if they kept taking wickets and kept the RR down. The game ebbed and flowed with Liton Das holding Bangladesh’s innings together with a fantastic knock that mixed intent with pragmatism. You could cut the tension with a knife as each misfield from the Afghan fielders drew the ire of Rashid Khan. Despite the constant rain, Afghanistan kept themselves in the game with regular wickets. In the end it was all about proving a point for Bangladesh as 12.3 overs had passed but Naveen-ul-Haq’s brilliance in the penultimate over ensured even that would not be possible as he landed the knockout blow to ensure that Afghanistan sealed a historic, maiden semi-final berth.

2. India v South Africa - (The Final) - Bridgetown, Barbados

Clinical and unbeaten India met gritty and unbeaten South Africa in the final. With both teams’ inability to get the job done in previous ICC knockouts being a major talking point. Who was going to blink first? South Africa started off brilliantly snaring Rohit, Pant and SKY within the powerplay. But Kohli and Axar’s partnership of high contrast ensured that India were in the game with a decent total very much achievable. South Africa let the game slip in the middle overs and with wickets in hand, Kohli put Jansen and Rabada to the sword with Shivam Dube providing a late flourish to take India to 176-7. A score that still did not seem enough on what was a very good wicket for batting. South Africa started off poorly, losing Hendricks and Markram in quick succession. But Quinton de Kock and Tristan Stubbs put on a brilliant half century stand taking the Indian spinners down with surgical efficiency. Both threw their wickets away in moronic fashion but that ensured that the stage was set for Heinrich Klaasen to launch a stunning assault on India’s spinners, who had largely gone unchecked all tournament. And he did just that, laying into Kuldeep Yadav and Axar Patel. The equation came down to 30 off 30. But unluckily for South Africa, Jasprit Bumrah still had two overs remaining. Bumrah’s next over went for 4 runs and suddenly the squeeze was on. Unlike the South African bowlers, the Indian pacers had made use of the slowness of the wicket much better, bowling cutters and taking the pace off the ball constantly. One such bowler who had been trying and failing to bowl cutters on the wide line was Hardik Panyda, who finally executed one to perfection as Klaasen edged one straight into the hands of Rishabh Pant. Now South Africa were well and truly back in familiar territory. Bumrah came back to bowl an absolutely perfect over as he managed to sneak one through Marco Jansen’s bat and pads. With 16 needed off 10, David Miller was South Africa’s last hope. Pandya missed his length and bowled a full toss that Miller smashed down to long-off, only for Suryakumar Yadav to take an absolute blinder. And just like that South Africa’s new generation had failed to put their old generation’s demons to rest, as India basked in the ecstasy of their fairy tail ending…11 years after winning their last ICC trophy.

1. Afghanistan v Australia - (Super 8’s) - Arnos Vale, St. Vincent & Grenadines

This match already had a certain buzz around it considering the last time these two sides met, we were treated to arguably one of the greatest games of cricket ever played. Right off the bat, Australia looked sloppy in the field and Afghanistan made full use of playing pragmatic, risk-free cricket with the aim of getting Afghanistan to a competitive total, rather than a massive one. Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran raised their third century stand of the tournament but Cummin’s second hattrick in two games ensured that Afghanistan couldn’t breach 150. Many expected the Afghan spinners to be a handful but it was the Afghan seamers who came out and landed the early blows, with Nabi reaping the rewards of the pressure built to get Warner on the first ball of his over, after Naveen-ul-Haq had grabbed the two crucial scalps of Travis Head and Mitchell Marsh. At 32-3 Australia seemed to be in deep trouble until a familiar face came out and started playing a very familiar knock. Glenn Maxwell brought out the greatest hits reverse sweeping Kharkote over third man and clobbering Rashid over long on. Looking lost for answers, a sense of deja vu was beginning to emerge for Afghanistan before Rashid brought on Gulbadin Naib, who had not even bowled in the tournament upto that point. He struck immediately though with the wicket of Marcus Stoinis and followed that by trapping Tim David in his next over to bring Afghanistan back, even as Maxwell seemingly continued on his merry way hitting atleast a boundary an over. But the scoring rate was climbing and the fall of wickets meant that Maxwell was fighting a lone battle. Finally in the 15th over, Maxwell cut a fairly innocuous looking delivery by Naib to backward point, where Noor Ahmed took a stunning catch. And now Afghanistan were finally in sight of history. Rashid and the Afghan pacers came back to put a stranglehold on the Australian lower order and went 4-19 in 4.2 after Maxwell’s dismissal to etch Afghanistan’s name in history and complete a famous win over the perennial final boss(es) of international cricket.

Not many great matches due to poor wickets and conditions having massive impact on results. Plus the rain also were a factor in many games and spoiled the fun. Least enjoyable T20 WC so far.

1.Final for me with an obvious bias and situation.
2. US vs Pak due to last ball four and so many ups and downs
3. Nepal vs SA
4. BD vs Afghans
5. Afghans vs Aus

It was dramatic because of BD's terrible batting. Many teams probably would've chased it down comfortably.
You could say the same about every match. WHatever happened on that day right till Fiz lost his wicket was keeping two teams in the race. Till 18.5 overs nobody knew whether Afghanistan or Australia would advance through to next round

This was one of the best T20 WCs in a while. Low scores made it very exciting ! Nothing beats the final - was a cracker, the pressure, trophy on the line, Ind reduced to 34/3, the Klaasen sensational knock under pressure, the Bumrah Pandya choke, Sky catch - wow it had it all ! Cant ask for anything better(y)

And agree with all the other matches you mentioned. You forgot to mention the USA-Pak match though ! :love:For us , USA fans that was an absolute corker of a game ! The Ind-Pak game was good as well.

This was one of the best T20 WCs in a while. Low scores made it very exciting ! Nothing beats the final - was a cracker, the pressure, trophy on the line, Ind reduced to 34/3, the Klaasen sensational knock under pressure, the Bumrah Pandya choke, Sky catch - wow it had it all ! Cant ask for anything better(y)

And agree with all the other matches you mentioned. You forgot to mention the USA-Pak match though ! :love:For us , USA fans that was an absolute corker of a game ! The Ind-Pak game was good as well.
India pak game i kinda sense where it was heading after 15 overs. It was going to be very hard on that NY pitch with variable bounce.

For me Afghanistan vs BD. Drama within drama with 3 teams competing for semi final
Man, this was such a drama filled game. Never seen any qualification game like this. Edge of the seat stuff. After Afg made 115 - I thought they were done and Ban would get it in 12 overs. But realized Ban tigers are more like cats in int cricket. They should have gone totally for it or get bowled out for 50. Not sure what a win after 12 overs would get them - but the losers faltered even in that. All 3 teams had a chance , then 2 teams after 12 overs till the ultimate win by Afg. This win just drained Afg both emotionally mentally and physically and so they had nothing left in the tank for SF where they just rolled over.

South Africa Bangladesh also went all the way down to the wire.

South Africa Netherlands was also a good match..

India Pakistan was a low scoring thriller.

And offcourse USA Pakistan, USA tied the match by scoring 10 runs in 3 balls and then winning it in Super over.

South Africa Bangladesh also went all the way down to the wire.

South Africa Netherlands was also a good match..

India Pakistan was a low scoring thriller.

And offcourse USA Pakistan, USA tied the match by scoring 10 runs in 3 balls and then winning it in Super over.

Full tosses sealed the fate of so many chasing teams. Fittingly Miller holed out to a wide full toss

Full tosses sealed the fate of so many chasing teams. Fittingly Miller holed out to a wide full toss

Mahmudullah holed out too. Failed to hit a full-toss for six.

If that was a six (they needed 5 to win), BD would've beaten South Africa and topped the group.

For me Afghanistan vs BD. Drama within drama with 3 teams competing for semi final
Interesting game. BD tried to play for semi first, then like nah lets knockout our nemesis Afghanistan, then like nah, lets just get rid of Aus since they never invite us.

They honestly didnt know how to approach the game when in fact it was just 12 overs game.

Interesting game. BD tried to play for semi first, then like nah lets knockout our nemesis Afghanistan, then like nah, lets just get rid of Aus since they never invite us.

They honestly didnt know how to approach the game when in fact it was just 12 overs game.

Captain Shanto said it. Team tried to go for it (winning it in 12 overs) but plan changed after they lost 3-4 wickets. They then tried to just win the game but that didn't happen.

They were going after in patches. But they got confused and aborted the chase. 39 in 3 overs was highly probably in this day and age not withstanding the bowling quality on that pitch. Either way returning home. Why not attempting to make history before leaving.

Pakistan vs USA was a top game in terms of thrill and expectations and drama, after that the whole tournament fell flat

Pak vs USA, Ind vs Pak, SA vs Eng , Afghan vs Aus, Windies vs SA, Afghan vs BD & lastly the title decider Ind vs SA were all thrillers.

It has got to be Afghanistan vs BD. I think this match showed why Afghanistan is a better team.than BD. So many things were at stake in this game. Minnow.mentality showed by both teams. The timidity of Afg batting was surprising to say the least. Then came.the shocker. BD has decided that it's not worth trying to go to the semi final. The only team that played in all.the world cups but never made it to the semi final had a chance to go to semis but decided against it.

Countless games where India, Pakistan, Australia, NewZealand, Sri Lanka,.South Africa,England tried to live or die by the sword came to mind. Especially Pakistan where they would rise from the ashes and win those critical games. BD thought "meh". It was astounding for me to see a team not go for it. Every other team in this world cup including Afg, would have gone.for the SF glory. To top it all of, BD choked at the end and lost the game too. It was embarrassing but was good theater considering Aussies were involved too.

To be honest, the USA leg of the tournament was a disaster. Rain affected matches incl. Multiple game washouts, sub-standard pitches, poor drainage etc. Windies venues were much better & matches were more entertaining.

It was bng vs afg for me. My wife understands t20 very well.but I have to keep on explaining all the 3 scenarios till the match is done and it was highly confusing for her and kept on nagging me.

USA vs Pakistan should be in the list.

USA vs Pakistan and Oman vs Namibia went to Super over. They should have made the list.

Most matches involving South Africa turned out to be closely contested.

The matches between Australia and Scotland, and PNG and West Indies, were also very entertaining. Scotland and PNG both lost their matches due to underutilizing their leggie.

USA vs Pakistan and Oman vs Namibia went to Super over. They should have made the list.

Most matches involving South Africa turned out to be closely contested.

The matches between Australia and Scotland, and PNG and West Indies, were also very entertaining. Scotland and PNG both lost their matches due to underutilizing their leggie.
Nepal vs SA was also a good game

Fantastic writeup. I'd put USA v Pakistan in there somewhere.

My favourite was the Final. Good surface allowing for fair contest between bat and ball between two highly skilled teams; the twists and turns; Yadav's catch; and the match going down to the last over.

God cricket is an amazing sport, and T20 when played in the right conditions with a big prize on the line is a great format.

I'm sure you can understand why I left that out. That game depressed the life out of me.

Fantastic writeup. I'd put USA v Pakistan in there somewhere.

My favourite was the Final. Good surface allowing for fair contest between bat and ball between two highly skilled teams; the twists and turns; Yadav's catch; and the match going down to the last over.

God cricket is an amazing sport, and T20 when played in the right conditions with a big prize on the line is a great format.
Thanks man. The final was very close to the top. But I just enjoyed Australia v Afghanistan too damn much. I am glad though that we finally got a great final. Almost every ICC tournament final since 2019 has either been one-sided or predictable.

Alternatively, worst matches of the 2024 T20 WC:

1. Oman v Namibia
2. Australia v Oman (Australia hammering hapless minnows)
3. Uganda v Afghanistan/Uganda v West Indies
4. England v any minnow
5. Bangladesh v Nepal (some awful cricket on display)

I love my associate bros but some of these matches were seriously difficult to watch.

Though it was a pretty one sided match, I enjoyed South Africa v Afghanistan for the monster display of fast-bowling and Rashid Khan getting completely humbled and put in his place by Anrich Nortje.

India vs Pakistan match was a thriller but poor quality of cricket from everyone except Bumrah and Pant's keeping.

Back