BPL | Final | Barisal Burners v Dhaka Gladiators | Dhaka | 29/02/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawad2010

T20I Debutant
Runs
Match is one hour away, here is the preview!

Inaugural BPL trophy up for grabs

Mohammad Isam
February 28, 2012

Match Facts;

February 29, Mirpur
Start time 1800 local (1200 GMT)

143064.2.jpg

Shahid Afridi would have played two Twenty20s for Dhaka Gladiators less than 48 hours after Pakistan's series with England ended © BPL T20​

Big Picture:

With so much of the spotlight on controversies, a proper cricketing final would be a solace for the inaugural edition of the Bangladesh Premier League. Thankfully, two very entertaining Twenty20 teams, Barisal Burners and Dhaka Gladiators, will go head-on in the final in front of what is expected to be a sellout crowd.

Barisal have gone through a lot to finally arrive in the final, an ascent that some predicted with Chris Gayle in the line-up initially. But even though they have missed Gayle and his power-hitting since the end of the tournament's first week, they have progressed to the title clash. One of their main strengths is the captaincy of Brad Hodge, who has stood out as a leader who can influence the proceedings with his clever tactics.

Dhaka, on the other hand, rely on all-out aggression. Imran Nazir, Azhar Mahmood, Mohammad Ashraful, Shahid Afridi, and Saeed Ajmal are all attacking players who can single-handedly change the course of the final.

It promises to be a game that can go either way, even if a team does score really big in the first innings. If they don't, expect a scrappy chase.

In the spotlight:

Barisal's Ahmed Shehzad is the highest scorer in the competition after his murderous 113 off 49 deliveries in the semifinal against Duronto Rajshahi. His previous six innings in the tournament include a hundred, two half-centuries and two forties.

Dhaka's left-arm spinner Elias Sunny currently shares top spot on the wicket-takers' list with Mohammad Sami. He played an important role in the semi-final with a double-strike in his first over - the dimissal of both Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Dwayne Smith put Khulna Royal Bengals' chase under tremendous pressure.

Form Guide:

(most recent first)
Barisal -- WWLWW
Dhaka -- WLWLW

Head to head:

Dhaka won both games against Barisal in the league phase - the first by 21 runs, despite a blistering Gayle century, and then by five wickets, a game Kieron Pollard finished off in style with a 17-ball 35.

Chatter:

"Justice was finally done."
Brad Hodge after the semi-final win over Rajshahi.

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-premier-league-2012/content/story/555624.html

Here are the teams that played Semi Finals, expect no changes barring an injury.

Barisal Burners:

Ahmed Shehzad, BJ Hodge*, P Mustard†, Nazmul Islam, Mominul Haque, Alauddin Babu, Suhrawadi Shuvo, Mithun Ali, Farhad Hossain, Yasir Arafat, Kabir Ali

Dhaka Gladiators:

Imran Nazir, Awais Zia, Nazimuddin, Azhar Mahmood, Mohammad Ashraful, Shahid Afridi, Mashrafe Mortaza*, Dhiman Ghosh†, Anamul Haque, Elias Sunny, Saeed Ajmal

Good Luck!

Hope Shahzad can survive till Ajmal and Afridi come on.

He should Slaughter Azhar.

Mashrafe has won toss and elected to field first. Awals Zia out and Rana in.

A win win situation for Pakistani fans in BPL. :D

Dhiman Ghosh drops Shehzad :rofl

Can't this guy play a single innings without getting dropped???

He was dropped twice in the last match as well. In international cricket you are not going to get dropped.

This is why these domestic performances can be misleading.

Can't this guy play a single innings without getting dropped???

He was dropped twice in the last match as well. In international cricket you are not going to get dropped.

This is why these domestic performances can be misleading.

Thats a good way to discredit someone's performance.

Thats a good way to discredit someone's performance.

You didn't get the point of my post.

Anyways I am one of his biggest supporters here and want him back for Asia Cup, but I am not a blind fanboy either :)

The commentary on cricinfo comes and goes. Anyways we have PoP here to uptdate us, keep up the good work man. :)

You didn't get the point of my post.

Anyways I am one of his biggest supporters here and want him back for Asia Cup, but I am not a blind fanboy either :)

At 20 he is the highest run scorer of this tournament, and I feel people are not giving him the due credit.

A Shehzad caught Ajmal bowled Afridi

Bakistan Premier League

Afridi and Ajmal are too good for Burnols, who dont have too many good batsmen. Kind of a mismatch.

Afridi and Ajmal are too hot to handle for them really.

Dhaka all over Burnols.

For the next BPL, no one team should have both Afridi and Ajmal - its kind of unfair to the other team. They're going to choke them.

If Burnols still had Gayle, this match would've been way more balanced.

What happened to him btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back