Can Australian Tanveer Sangha transition from being a U-19 star to an international leg-spinning sensation?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Tanveer Singh Sangha (born 26 November 2001) is an Australian cricketer who plays for Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League (BBL).He bowls right arm leg spin and bats right-handed.He was Australia’s leading wicket taker at the 2020 Under-19 Cricket World Cup, claiming 15 wickets.

In 2018, he represented New South Wales Metro in the U17 National Championships held in Queensland where he was their leading wicket taker. He also performed strongly for the Cricket Australia XI in the U19 National Championships in Adelaide which resulted in him being selected for the Australian U19 tour of Sri Lanka in January 2019.

Tanveer earned himself a spot as the Sydney Thunder Development Rookie for BBL08 and was then promoted the next year to their primary list for BBL09 in 2019. He also played in NSW Metro's winning team in the U19 National Championships.

He then represented Australia in the 2020 U19 World Cup in South Africa, dominating with the ball taking 15 wickets at an average of just 11.46. A State contract with NSW followed at the age of just 18.

Tanveer made his debut for the Sydney Thunder in Big Bash League season 2020-2021 (BBL10) on 12 December 2020 against the Melbourne Stars. He finished the third highest wicket taker in the competition with 21 wickets.

In January 2021, Sangha was named in Australia's Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against New Zealand at the age of just 19.He made his first-class debut on 27 October 2021, for New South Wales in the 2021–22 Sheffield Shield season.He made his List A debut on 24 November 2021, for New South Wales in the 2021–22 Marsh One-Day Cup.In August 2022 he was signed by Birmingham Phoenix to play in The Hundred.

On 30th August 2023, he made his T20I debut against South Africa at Kingsmead. He became Australia's 106th men's T20I cricketer. His 4-31 in four overs saw him get the best return by an Australian cricketer on T20I debut in nearly two decades, only bettered by Michael Kasprowicz 4-29 for Australia in 2005.

Tanveer became the youngest Australian to take four wickets in a Men's T20I.

In Cricket World Cup 2023, cricket fans came to know about some really good Indian-origin players who played for other countries. New Zealand's Rachin Ravindra, Netherlands' Aryan Dutt, Vikram Singh and Teja Nidamanuru stood out too.

One more Indian-origin player have been seen in the India vs Australia T20I series 2023.He is Tanveer Sangha. Who could be another big thing in T20Is.

Last edited:
He has had a few ordinary games. But, did better today.

Good prospect definitely. Can replace Zampa once he retires.

Back