Cheteshwar Pujara Discussion Thread

Poison said:
You tend to forget that if India's first line national bowling attack is so poor, the domestic bowling lineups are equivalent to the gulli bowlers in Pakistan.
the same bowlers bowled to dravid/ganguly/laxman and more recently gambhir and sehwag . Batting is not our problem bowling is .

Bu these days we have a pack of avg bowlers whereas in earlier times we had only 1-2 avg bowlers with the rest v poor.

we always had 1-2 decent bowlers....add both of them together and we have an ok bowling unit. hence we win matches more these days

pun500 said:
no he was with rohit sharma ..dhawan never played u-19 wc dhawan is around 24 ie 2 years elder to pujara.

dhawan avgs 47 while pujara avgs 57

yea but we will have vacancies soon ie in 2 years time (by that time pujara will be 24 about the same age as dravid to make debut)

Dhawan played 2004 under-19 world cup and was the highest run getter in that WC with 3, 100s, Raina, also played in that WC as well as Dinesh Kartik, VRV Singh, RP Singh also.

India needs to improve their bowling strengh if they have to compete at the world level. India have to give chances to Tyagi and Nabi and play them in test matches and keep them away from T20 circus. If they can do that we can have these bowlers surviving for more than a year rather than becoming mediocre in 1 year like Ishant.

rohit sharma has been a massive failure in ranji with scores of 25, 22 & 19 whereas dhawan & pujara have been scoring big in ranji this season

Guys if you don't mind me asking..is India's domestic setup any good? I mean you can score all the runs you want..in a structure that has no "decent pace" bowlers..so does it matter?

mmkextreme_1 said:
Guys if you don't mind me asking..is India's domestic setup any good? I mean you can score all the runs you want..in a structure that has no "decent pace" bowlers..so does it matter?

The fact that a lot of their batsmen have come from the structure and suceeded at international level gives you the impression that there must be something right.

If India were ever to find an express fast bowler then they would be a great team. But they never will and will always be held back because of it. Just like South Africa with spinners.

mmkextreme_1 said:
suprisingly yes...thats the reason we produce good batsmen. the bowling is decent these days (indian standards) compared to earlier even then we produced gavaskar vishwanath then azhar tendulkar followed by dravid laxman ganguly and finally sehwag gambhir

on the verge of another hundred ... this kid will now avg close to 60

Xohaib said:
In pakistan only fawad alam averages 60
good for him..but he just looks a technically limited player.

how much does ahmed shezad avg? ...he is your best IMHO

pun500 said:
good for him..but he just looks a technically limited player.

how much does ahmed shezad avg? ...he is your best IMHO

Technique is over-rated. Great to have but look at Sehwag or Dhoni. They score plenty without having to be all technical. As look as you are decently talented and mentally strong (which to me is the strongest aspect for international cricket), they you can succeed.

Seen many great players tear it up in domestic (IE Hick and Ramprakash come to mind) but don't have the mettle for teh stress.

Xohaib said:
In pakistan only fawad alam averages 60
With his average of 60, Faawad is in them but a senior citizen has to retire from Indian team to give chance some deserving youngsters. But BCCI with its
"travesty" pitches, either;
-- it is hurrying grandpa up to 100 international centuries so BCCI can get rid of him.

or

-- fooling Indian fans in thinking that their batting is the best by having every tom-dick-&-harry score millions of runs on these type of wickets. But then again it does not take much to fool some fans! ;-)

Either way -- Good luck BCCI!!

JeeraBlade said:
With his average of 60, Faawad is in them but a senior citizen has to retire from Indian team to give chance some deserving youngsters. But BCCI with its
"travesty" pitches, either;
-- it is hurrying grandpa up to 100 international centuries so BCCI can get rid of him.

or

-- fooling Indian fans in thinking that their batting is the best by having every tom-dick-&-harry score millions of runs on these type of wickets. But then again it does not take much to fool some fans! ;-)

Either way -- Good luck BCCI!!

DUDE this batting clicked everywhere :13:
so don't give this BS
India batting is world class and consistent, yes they have their bad days sometimes under pressure but mostly they click and win matches for us

wanted_desi said:
DUDE this batting clicked everywhere :13:
India batting is world class and consistent, yes they have their bad days sometimes under pressure but mostly they click and win matches for us
Last 20 years -- India's test batting in different countries;
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...al1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting

Last 10 years -- India's test batting in different countries;
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...al2=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting

wanted_desi said:
so don't give this BS
You may want to direct this to BCCI because they are the one who getting you guys hooked on the 100s in last two test vs Sri Lanka ------ like a laborer on Mumbai and Kolkatta street getting hooked on very cheap and hazardous to health wine or beer because he can't afford anything else.

wanted_desi said:
Those aren't bad to tell you truth
most of times team is able to make above 250
I have no idea what you mean?
wanted_desi said:
can you provide one list for Pakistan
Do we claim our batsmen are rock stars and are the better than Bradman?

Rahane is literally smashing down the selectors door now. Scoring at every opportunity

out third ball. looked a poor LB decision though.

hawkeye says leg stump. guess I was wrong. really good delivery either way.

Cricinfo says "Hawk Eye says it would have hit the leg stump"

So not a bad decision then.

Hope the selectors dont remove him immediately now from squad when laxman returns and destroy his confidence.He should be for a while the next choice after laxman

What an anti-cliamx!! Looked so good when he hit the 4 and then gets a very good ball next ball to get out. Hopefully that 4 was just the start of a journey that will see him hit hundreds of such 4s for the country.

I guess he will be hoping he gets another chance to shine after getting out cheaply here!

I am waiting for the highlights after an hour or so to watch his out. My bro (who watched live) also said he got a good ball.

Lots of good young batsmen coming up the ranks including Pujara. But I would put my hand up and say that Kohli is the best of the lot without a doubt.

In a way its good for Pujara that he got a good delivery and such a start to his career.

I am pretty sure he will shine at his next oppurtunity. Surely even Indian selectors aint that dumb to discard him on the basis of these 3 deliveries.

A mainstay of Indian batting for years to come and pretty sure will cream the ozzies in their own backyard.

I remember pujara playing for KKR but i don't think that was his format, looked a decent player though.

I suppose my next questions are directed towards Indian posters [those that follow Indian first-class cricket]

1) Why was Rahane not selected before Pujara [Rahane has the better record]?

2) What is the difference between Rahane and Pujara in terms of batting?

The future for India's batting seems quite bright. I already like the look of Virat Kohli. Suresh Raina is decent even with his problems and now these two potentials stars.

I suppose my next questions are directed towards Indian posters [those that follow Indian first-class cricket]

The future for India's batting seems quite bright. I already like the look of Virat Kohli. Suresh Raina is decent even with his problems and now these two potentials stars.
Rahane recently doing well where as pujara been consistently doing well for quite some time.

Rahane mostly bat as no.3 and pujara is better middle order batsman. I haven't seem much of Rahane live to judge the style of batting. But Pujara is a typical Indian middle order batsman.

Axcellent fifty on wearing 5th day wicket. Very good temperament plus a good pull shot aswell..

I like the looks of him. I would put him as a good replacement for the current seniors in the Indian batting line.

He is looking good and hopefully that is a sign of some classy knocks to come in the future.

bit of an eyesore, but is solid as oak.

an excellent knock on debut.

A good Inns 2nd time round. india will always produce good batsmen that can do a job!

Rahane has so far been overshadowed by his fellow Mumbaikar Rohit Sharma. Also so far even though he has done well in domestic cricket, he had not been able to do well while playing for India A or against international opposition. The last 6 months have been different though, he has grabbed every opportunity given to him. Will very soon be pushing for a spot in the national side.

As to why Pujara was in the limelight more than Rahane, its due to Pujara'spenchant for scoring big 100s. Last season he hit something like 3 triple hundreds on the trot, although 2 of the triples came playing in the u-22 national tournament.

In terms of Rahane and Pujara's batting, not much of a difference, just that Pujara seems to have a better defensive technique. Also Pujara is a better player of pace bowling than Rahane, Rahane though is superb against the spinners and has got an excellent footwork.

I wonder if dravid will get dropped in place of him. Had it not been for his 72 the chase could have gotten real tricky.

Welldone Pujara ...:14:

ab bas jaldi se ...Rahane aur Mukund bhi test team mein aajayein to sone par suhaga ....D

I wonder if dravid will get dropped in place of him. Had it not been for his 72 the chase could have gotten real tricky.
Very true and he made these 72 relatively quick too. I followed it on cricinfo so donno how good his shots were. Will watch over highlights in the evening.

Cheteshwar Pujara: "I was a bit nervous. I told myself that I want to be in the present. When you just look at each and every ball, each and every over, there is no pressure. I was told this morning that I would be batting at no 3. .. Domestic experience has helped me a lot. I knew Hauritz would bowl round the stumps. I saw how the little master played him in the first innings. It was difficult (the first-innings dismissal), the seniors came and told me that you can't do much about that kind of ball. Continue to be play positive. When I went into bat in the first innings, Tendulkar said you might be nervous, don't worry about it, it will go away automatically once you play a few balls. I also remember he told me that God has given you this chance to play; he will help you score runs. Don't worry."

You all Lucky youngsters ..playing with legends.....:D

Very true and he made these 72 relatively quick too. I followed it on cricinfo so donno how good his shots were. Will watch over highlights in the evening.

you'll be lovin it bro ...AWESOME to watch ...i have witnessed his many domestic Innings so I can say still not in full flow ....but very good to watch.

Very true and he made the, se 72 relatively quick too. I followed it on cricinfo so donno how good his shots were. Will watch over highlights in the evening.

I can't wait to see the highlights either but considering the average of the wicket in the 4th innings at this ground is only 26, and the previous high score chased down in 4th innings is 190 and Pujara had the confidence to come in and play a positive counter attacking knock despite getting out cheaply the way he did in the first innings is very impressive in itself.

Him being promoted to number 3 in itself seem like he has confidence from dhoni and team managment. Although it could also be because he wanted Dravid at number 5 to combat the reverse swing.

Just watching the highlights. Guys, I can tell you by looking at this innings and his shots, we got an alternate no 3. For both ODI and Tests.

Don't want to compare him with Dravid as it will be criminal to do so. But I was really worried for who would fit into Dravid's shoes. This guy can. :)

The decision to play pujara was already taken before the day's play started.

http://www.cricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2010/content/current/story/481383.html

First Raina and now Pujara. These youngsters won't get better partner at the crease.

Pujara spoke of the advice Tendulkar had given him when they had batted together in the first innings: "He told me that 'you might be nervous, just enjoy it, don't try and overcome it, it will go away when you spend a few minutes at the crease."

a track record on dead tracks..and ur calling him next big thing after lara....get a life

^^ Not so dead on the fifth day. Plus the pressure of an early wicket, first innings failure and an opponent on top. It needs temperament to tackle all this and counter attack your way to the top.

He has just started and hype would be the last thing he would want at the moment. Still looks a good prospect and deserves more chances to prove himself.

I have to say he looks a good young player, technically compact and seems to have decent shot selection - not so great to watch but effective.
Amazing domestic career as well!

I have to say he looks a good young player, technically compact and seems to have decent shot selection - not so great to watch but effective.
Amazing domestic career as well!
The one thing which concerned me in his innings was his running between the wickets. I didn't find him very quick there. He is only 22 and hope he improves there.

Especially most of the new Indian guys (gambhir, raina, dhoni, kohli) are quicker between the wickets these days.

Compact player...doesn't move his feet much while going for short of length deliveries outside off though...will see how he goes overseas.

Just watching the highlights. Guys, I can tell you by looking at this innings and his shots, we got an alternate no 3. For both ODI and Tests.

Don't want to compare him with Dravid as it will be criminal to do so. But I was really worried for who would fit into Dravid's shoes. This guy can. :)

Pujara played extremely well today but with due respect to him lets wait.There's a long long way to go to confirm the number 3 batsman.after IPL1 and a few odi's in flat tracks here when raina,yusuf pathan,ravindra jadeja,rohit sharma all batted as if next superstars we all thought the same for one day team and then we all know what happened,except for raina.

The sa and england series will confirm the capability of pujara.

Compact player...doesn't move his feet much while going for short of length deliveries outside off though...will see how he goes overseas.

I think he had a good time in England with India A in summer. They guy has the right attitude and technique.

Disappointed so far, hasn't done much in the chances given

I'd rather have him as a proper test batsman. Screw IPL, hope it doesn't spoil his technique

Exactly. He'll be spoiled by IPL. He isn't cut out for the crap cricket a format which is called T20 cricket by some. Why they associated the word cricket with this crap thing is beyond me.

Coming to Pujara, he should be a regular in Indian test team. I fear that the tried and tested failures like Yuvraj and Raina would be given precedence over him in the tests on the basis of their exploits in just concluded WC. Now that would be a shame.

I'm actually happy that he is failing in this useless tourney. Would make him more determined to succeed in other far more important formats & series for India.

Back