Comparing and recalling the aggressive Pakistani batters of the past

Sher Khan

Local Club Captain
Runs
This thread is about the very few aggressive batsmen we have had in our past and what your views are on them. Did we discard them too early? Were they mere hacks or gifted timers of the ball?

We had Imran Nazir who I have always felt tried to use brute power rather than timing on the ball. I didn't feel he was extraordinarily talented but he had an aggressive mindset and wanted to kick things on. I believe he got plenty of opportunity in international cricket.

We had Shahzaib Hasan then who I felt was a gifted timer of the ball and had a much wider range of shots than Nazir. He played proper modern day cricket in my opinion but was discarded way too early. I believe he definitely had the gift of timing and some talent.

We had Sharjeel as well who was a decent timer of the ball but most of his shots were limited to the leg side. I believe yes he didn't get enough chances in international cricket but his technique wasn't the best and it's possible he would have been found out.

The only aggressive batsman Pakistan had was Shahid Afridi, who was neither a spinner nor a traditional batsman. However, he was fortunate enough to play in close to 400 ODIs, a substantial number of T20s, and even Test cricket due to his flamboyant style and fame. If he were from one of the SENA (South Africa, England, New Zealand, Australia) countries, he might not have played half as much international cricket as he did for Pakistan.

He was the luckiest guy as he played in all batting slots without any fear or responsibilities and failed 99% of times

One and only Amir Sohail an angry boy who started playing aggressively in the early 90s who changed the dynamics of the game.

after that Shahid Afridi came in and rest is the history.

Ijaz Ahmed was my favourite. In full flow he was a brute, represents pure Pakistani confidence and aggression at its zenith. I really miss the 90s.

Salim Malik was also a very handy batter in the middle order who can hit the ball hard. I remember he used to move towards the leg side to made room and hit the ball on the off side.

This myth of Sharjeel being a legside hack is still around lol.

By 2016 he had worked on his offside game as well and was able to play on both sides of the wicket.

His fitness, batsmanship were all improving but he sold it all for a few quid.

Who can forget Javaid Miandad and his antiques when he was on the field?
Showing a bat to the bowler in anger, that too in front of an umpire was something else.

Aggressive doesn't mean being reckless or sloggers. I think Inzamam had amazing ability to play agressive and clear the ropes with ease, while at the same time he could play as solid and defensively as anyone. Same for Mohammad Yousuf.

Shahid Afridi was aggressive and was bloody good at it. Razzaq was one of the cleanest strikers of the ball, one of the best hitters Pak have had.

Moin Khan back in the day was good based on the agressive standards of that time. Wasim Akram had the ability to clear the ropes. He was a handy lower order batter who could go big.

Ijaz Ahmed, Saeed Anwar, Aamir Sohail were all good aggressive batters.

Kamran Akmal was a good aggressive batter, he always had a positive approach.

Inzi comes to mind he was the most impactful player we had atleast in ODI. He always scored heavily during Pak Wins. Whenever he scored we won.

Aggressive doesn't mean being reckless or sloggers. I think Inzamam had amazing ability to play agressive and clear the ropes with ease, while at the same time he could play as solid and defensively as anyone. Same for Mohammad Yousuf.

Shahid Afridi was aggressive and was bloody good at it. Razzaq was one of the cleanest strikers of the ball, one of the best hitters Pak have had.

Moin Khan back in the day was good based on the agressive standards of that time. Wasim Akram had the ability to clear the ropes. He was a handy lower order batter who could go big.

Kami was a wonderful opener for Pak in ODI and he was used well by Inzi but after him, no captain showed interest in his opening batting skills. He was natural stroke maker in ODIs

Saeed Anwar. End of list.

I was going to say, if you were going to pick one of the two left-handed guns between Amir Sohail and Saeed Anwar, it would be Anwar every day of the week for me. Sohail was great in his own way, but Anwar was ATG status.

Reading this list and looking at the players we have in the current generation makes me feel :(

Mukhtar was another aggressive batsman who was dropped too soon in my opinion. The guy has brute power for sure.

This myth of Sharjeel being a legside hack is still around lol.

By 2016 he had worked on his offside game as well and was able to play on both sides of the wicket.

His fitness, batsmanship were all improving but he sold it all for a few quid.

Sharjeel is the best out and out striker of the ball I've seen in the current generation of batsmen. He picked the length of the ball really early which the likes of Fakhar isn't capable of. This meant he could climb into the fast bowlers very effectively if they dropped it even a touch short, that might be the reason he got the reputation as a leg side hack.

Sharjeel is the best out and out striker of the ball I've seen in the current generation of batsmen. He picked the length of the ball really early which the likes of Fakhar isn't capable of. This meant he could climb into the fast bowlers very effectively if they dropped it even a touch short, that might be the reason he got the reputation as a leg side hack.
Sharjeel is not a patch on Fakhar.

Fakhar outdid anything Sharjeel has achieved in international cricket in his first few games.

Fakhar is a monster hitter .

Sharjeel is not a patch on Fakhar.

Fakhar outdid anything Sharjeel has achieved in international cricket in his first few games.

Fakhar is a monster hitter .
He can't pick length, he is like Afridi, he hits by numbers. Yes Fakhar can hit big, but the ball needs to be in his slot so any half decent bowler will just lay traps and he walks right into them.

For me Imran Nazir and Abdur Razzak were great explosive batsmen. Really used to enjoy their batting.

Afridi and Razzaq, used to be really excited to watch Pakistan matches with these two in the team sheet.

No player in Pakistan history was as destructive as Abdul Razzaq was once he was in his zone.

Afridi and Razzaq, used to be really excited to watch Pakistan matches with these two in the team sheet.

No player in Pakistan history was as destructive as Abdul Razzaq was once he was in his zone.

You know Afridi was big when even the women in your house stood in front of the TV to watch him bat.

if you were tuning into the game mid way through, you’d only be looking for his name in the scorecard to see if he’s still to come in or if he’s out.

Saeed Anwar.
Aamir Sohail.
Imran Nazir.
Inzamam.
Ijaz Ahmed.
Shahid Afridi.

Legendary and natural hitters.

javed miandad, Saeed Anwar, Abul Razzaq, SHahid Afridi and the list goes on.

The most important thing was all of these batsmen had primary skills of being a batsmen.

They could hit it out of the park and then some.

Aggression means nothing if you cant hit it out of the 20 yard circle.

Babar and Rizwan are also considered "aggressive and world class" by most of our nation.

But their output is crystal clear.

Just because you come out with a few shots of marijauana and cocaine wont make you red eyed wonder.

Need the ability to hit it out of the ground.

He couldn't play legspin though.

The only aggressive batsman Pakistan had was Shahid Afridi, who was neither a spinner nor a traditional batsman. However, he was fortunate enough to play in close to 400 ODIs, a substantial number of T20s, and even Test cricket due to his flamboyant style and fame. If he were from one of the SENA (South Africa, England, New Zealand, Australia) countries, he might not have played half as much international cricket as he did for Pakistan.

He was the luckiest guy as he played in all batting slots without any fear or responsibilities and failed 99% of times
Afridi would have played 100 t20 games if it was in this era for any team in the world.

the problem with pakistan is that if a young player was aggressive they were either forced to curb their natural instincts, or converting into full on sloggers. no one in the set up could imagine a young kid coming in and playing their natural game so they were forced to change.

its not a coincidence that the guys who managed to persevere with their aggressive styles, saeed, aamir, etc were a bit more individualistic, street smart or educated. the paindu boys were the most easily influenced into changing.

just look at imran nazir in his early test matches, you cant tell me this kid didnt know how to bat, no slogs, lots and lots of on the ground boundaries. one of the best timers but totally wasted by pak.

Back