Cricket bat help

CricketFace

Debutant
Runs
Hello,

I’ve recently started playing cricket again for my office team and have got to the point where I need to buy a new bat. The old one is definitely on the way out after 10 years of sitting in a cupboard rotting away. I’ve been searching out new cricket bats for sale online and am a bit overwhelmed with the choices and different brands available. I was looking at something like this – a Kookaburra Kahuna.

kookaburra-kahuna-t20.jpg

But had a few questions before I take the plunge.
I’m about 5’11 what size should I be getting?
What cricket grips? Are they all the same or should I get a specific type?
What other factors should I take into consideration? A friend of mine started talking about grades, weight, profiles, scallops, sweet spots and the like and he sort of lost me.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I’m hoping a new bat will drastically improve my game. It needs all the help it can get after such a long time of not playing ;)

Thanks!

Don't worry too much about all the stuff that bat aficionados obsess over like profiles/scalloping/edge thickness/grains etc, you should only worry about three things:

1) Does the bat feel nice in your hands? This is a purely personal preference and don't listen to what anyone else says, pick the bat up yourself and make sure you're comfortable.

2) Location of the sweet spot, if you play in Asia or on uncovered English wickets then you want a mid/low sweet spot because the ball won't bounce much. No point having a brilliant bat with a high sweet spot if the ball hardly ever hits the bat that high.

3) PRICE!

With all that said, if you're playing for your office team after a long time away then don't worry about getting bat with top grade willow. I recently bought an unmarked bat which would probably be marked as grade 2 willow and the ball still pings off it like a rocket. Willow grades are as often more about how the bat looks than how it performs so just save the money.

Grips are, as with most things bat related, all about personal preference. Some of the newer styles like the octopus grips might provide extra grip but it comes at the risk of wearing out the palms on your gloves a lot quicker than a regular grip.

As for size, you'll probably be fine with a regular short handle bat. I assume that's what you've used in the past without any problems?

Hello,

I’ve recently started playing cricket again for my office team and have got to the point where I need to buy a new bat. The old one is definitely on the way out after 10 years of sitting in a cupboard rotting away. I’ve been searching out new cricket bats for sale online and am a bit overwhelmed with the choices and different brands available. I was looking at something like this – a Kookaburra Kahuna.

View attachment 69464

But had a few questions before I take the plunge.
I’m about 5’11 what size should I be getting?
What cricket grips? Are they all the same or should I get a specific type?
What other factors should I take into consideration? A friend of mine started talking about grades, weight, profiles, scallops, sweet spots and the like and he sort of lost me.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I’m hoping a new bat will drastically improve my game. It needs all the help it can get after such a long time of not playing ;)

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice on this Big Mac, much appreciated.

If you want to choose a bat for you . here are my tips.
recently i got a bat and i followed below guide first and few suggestions from my friend.

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Cricket-Bat

Then i bought a bat online through desisport. i just browsed through forums here and couple of them suggested this site to buy online , i surfed this along with few other websites and found the price most reasonable .

http://www.desisport.com/

Back