"Cricket is everything, I won't get disheartened at not being picked for Pakistan": Usman Salahuddin

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Cricket is everything, I won't get disheartened at not being picked for Pakistan": Usman Salahuddin

Usman Salahuddin chats with Saj about the frustration of only 1 Test cap, trying to remain positive in the hope that further chances for Pakistan will come and how he feels he is now at the peak of his career.

Last edited:
Good interview. Seems a positive lad.

The chief selector who advised Usman to improve his strike rate perhaps doesn't look at Azhar Ali's strike rate who completely kills the momentum and destroys and brings down whatever rhythm team is carrying at that time. Time to move on from tailender Azhar and give Usman a fair chance.

Good attitude from the lad. Has the domestic performances to warrant a place in the test team. Would make a good number 3 followed by Babar at 4.

I'm sure many would like an ultra-positive, ultra-attacking Pakistan team. However we must be realistic and accept we just don't have the skill for an England-esque approach.

Today's collapse shows we need one batsman who can hold up an end. Azhar was meant to play that role but is too washed up and mediocre.

Abdullah, Huraira, Usman, Babar and Saud as our top 5 could be considered.

89 today for Usman in the Pakistan Cup as his team Southern Punjab beat Sindh by 2 wickets.

89 today for Usman in the Pakistan Cup as his team Southern Punjab beat Sindh by 2 wickets.

Highlights of his innings

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rtyjre" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Not sure why he is playing the ODI tournament. His issue of slow strike rate is so evident. Playing at a strike rate of 70-75.

Usman Salahuddin’s unbeaten 81 and Hasan Ali’s all-round performance went in vain as Southern Punjab fell 11 runs short of the 216-run target set by Northern.

Not sure why he is playing the ODI tournament. His issue of slow strike rate is so evident. Playing at a strike rate of 70-75.

Like most of our players, he's there to earn a living off course but won't mind inflating the averages after the not out today. Very evident he wasn't playing for the win.

Usman not considered again - very sad to see.

Thought he might get picked this time.

Real shame.

As long as M Wasim is hanging on to the role he won't get a chance.

It doesn't matter if he is international material or not. Look at his FC Stats, is someone with that record only worthy of one test?

It's unfair to continuously ignore him, you may not like his style of play but he deserves a chance to show his skills and prove himself after his exploits in FC

Hopefully this kid can be the batting warrior that Pakistan so desperately needs to unify the lineup and critics

Another good score from Usman

==

Southern Punjab skipper Usman Salahuddin made 80 in the match at NBP Sports Complex, Karachi - Pakistan Cup 2022/23

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rx9le6" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Another pressure match, another flop. He's just not good enough in the OD setup.
I sympathise with these cricketers to be fair because there are many who would love to just focus on their stronger formats and get better at that. Unfortunately, the pay grade is so low in Pak, players just would do anything to get more pay in this case play the wrong formats.
Ideally, Usman should never be playing OD cricket even at Grade level because of his very limited ability.
If he was paid well enough, maybe he could have afforded to focus on the longer format and become a beast at that and eventually play for Pak.

Another pressure match, another flop. He's just not good enough in the OD setup.

I sympathise with these cricketers to be fair because there are many who would love to just focus on their stronger formats and get better at that. Unfortunately, the pay grade is so low in Pak, players just would do anything to get more pay in this case play the wrong formats.
Ideally, Usman should never be playing OD cricket even at Grade level because of his very limited ability.

If he was paid well enough, maybe he could have afforded to focus on the longer format and become a beast at that and eventually play for Pak.

FYI

Scored 16 in the 1st SF for SP vs CP

FYI

Scored 16 in the 1st SF for SP vs CP

Thanks,
Proves my point.

What I'm more interested in, is what you think of the point I made regarding their salary and having little or no choice but to play each and every format for their livelihood.

Thanks,
Proves my point.

What I'm more interested in, is what you think of the point I made regarding their salary and having little or no choice but to play each and every format for their livelihood.

Firstly, as Saj has pointed out before, Usman not suited for the LOI formats.

Your point about salary pressure which forces such technically good players to play formats for which they are suited for is a valid one. PCB needs to see who is suited for what and make sure they don't lose out by choosing one format.

Saud and Agha doing well, but I'm sure Usman could have done better than Shan has recently?

Usman is still young and performing , selectors will call him again when he will be 38 and will give him couple of matches with Pakistan team and will be done with him and will be credited to bring in new players. They are doing the same with Ghulam and Tayyab.

A new player should be upgraded when he is in peak form and ready for new challenges of international cricket. Its hard for a player to keep the same enthusiasm form and fitness for year after year , unless he is promoted to the next level.

Usman is still young and performing , selectors will call him again when he will be 38 and will give him couple of matches with Pakistan team and will be done with him and will be credited to bring in new players. They are doing the same with Ghulam and Tayyab.

A new player should be upgraded when he is in peak form and ready for new challenges of international cricket. Its hard for a player to keep the same enthusiasm form and fitness for year after year , unless he is promoted to the next level.

This is a huge problem in Pakistan cricket. They just can't pick players at the right time in their careers.

They will either pick a player when he's not ready or pick a player when he past his best.

Rarely do they pick a player at his peak.

Basic error!

Happy birthday to yet another player that Pakistan Cricket let down. FC batting ave of 48 and list A 46, yet only played 3 international matches.

Born: December 2, 1990 (age 33 years), Lahore, Pakistan.

He won't ever get picked for Pakistan. He should have accepted that lucrative US offer tbh.

His slow strike rate will hold him back from playing for Pakistan.

Never got the chance that he deserved. Would have been a formidable middle-order batter but unfortunately he was a player in Pakistani set up.

Should have had a go when Ashar and Asad were stinking the joint post Mis-You

Should have had a go when Ashar and Asad were stinking the joint post Mis-You
Absolutely.

But he never had the contacts or the media backing that he needed.

Some of the excuses regarding his non-selection, were laughable.

Unfortunately, at National level, the competition is so high that guys like Usman Salahuddin does get ignored despite being really decent.

Pakistan's lost talent, Usman Salahuddin, showcased his prowess for SBP by scoring 50 runs off 106 balls in the first innings against Ghani Glass during the seventh round of the President's Trophy 2023-24.

Just another player victim to the PCB's incompetence.... under any management that was even 1% normal he would have had a at least a run in the test team

He wasn’t good enough. A poor man’s Azhar Ali, who wasn’t all that.

Usman Salahuddin will be leading the team of SBP in the President's Cup starting tomorrow. He was once known to be the next guy who could solve the middle-order voes of the Pakistan team but he was never given enough chances. Hope that he can make this tournament count.

Back