Darren Sammy - Is he a Batsman or a Bowler?

alexjohn_tcr

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
He bats at no. 8 or 9 sends down few harmless overs and tosses the coin before match.It is a shame to see some one like Sammy represent WI let alone captain their team.Just compare him with the previous captains they had-Lloyd,Richards,Sobers,Richarson,Gayle,Walsh etc..etc..

How can he be expected to inspire his team with his own performance?

Last edited:
He's nothing lol, they all still look to Gayle for leadership.

He is more stable in the current WI set-up. Almost everyone else is in-and-out....

thats why he is the captain, me thinks

he is ravindra jadeja of west indies. till now no body has been able to find out whether ravindra jadeja was a batsman or a bowler

A player with no role. It will end in tears, he can`t bat or bowl to any proper level. The problems with windies is that their players don`t care at all playing for them and hence you have a team of mercenaries.

I remember he took a hatful against us in a test match in England once, 8-fer in an innings! I don't really remember him doing anything major since though.

he's an all rounder, and had a good year in 2010 where he averaged around 28 with the ball and 39 with the bat.

He's pretty much living off one year of success when he was in good form. Out of form he's useless. Yet to take a wicket in 2011.

Is Darren Sammy taking up place of young fast bowler??

West Indies seem to be a good unit, except that they only have 1 genuine fast bowler in playing 11.

But there is a genuine tall fast bowler in the squad, as Andre Russell.

Wouldn't it be better if Kemar Roach & Andre Russell open the bowling for WIndies. Surely that would be one of the paciest combination of this WC... But I fear, the medium pacer Darren Sammy is taking place of this young fast bowler..

Listen, you do know Sammy was a consistent performer before the world cup. He took a lot of wickets and he scored valuable runs down the order. As far as i remember Andre Russell is nothing special anyways,

apart from him being captain. don't know much about the guy. seems lost to on the field most of the time.

He bats at no. 8 or 9 sends down few harmless overs and tosses the coin before match.It is a shame to see some one like Sammy represent WI let alone captain their team.Just compare him with the previous captains they had-Lloyd,Richards,Sobers,Richarson,Gayle,Walsh etc..etc..

How can he be expected to inspire his team with his own performance?

He is neither!

I just hope a young west indian will emerge as very good player, and a team player so he can captain WI...
But they really can''t go on with Sammy as the captain...

I just hope a young west indian will emerge as very good player, and a team player so he can captain WI...
But they really can''t go on with Sammy as the captain...

and why is that? :facepalm:

Sammy- The Great Kuptaan of WI

Should Darren Sammy Remain Captain of The West Indies?

I mean come on, SURELY they must have a better player to put into the team ahead of him?

mediocre in all departments, and has not quite struck me at least as a very inspirational leader.

if not Gayle, then perhaps Dwayne Bravo should step up?

He's really not needed in the side, bowls a few overs and bats low down. Dwayne Bravo has the experience now and would be a much better option as captain. He's a very talented all-rounder.

on top of that, an inspirational and passionate player, could inject some much needed flair and enthusiasm into the side.

central contract may be an issue though.

True. Bravo's of the best fielders out there. Sammy is a liability, almost as though he can't be dropped as he's the captain.

Now that you have made a thread crictizing him, he will probably score 100 and take a fiver in the first game against us :peterson

Now that you have made a thread crictizing him, he will probably score 100 and take a fiver in the first game against us :peterson

lol, well at least it will make the series a lot more interesting :asif

AZ bhai jaan don't underestimate Windies in their own backyard.Winning the test series should be the goal.

not underestimating the side, just their captain. :shakib

If you look at every match of 2009/10 Sammy made a useful meaningful contribution with bat and/or ball in almost each of them...so I wouldn't argue against his place, though he's horribly out of form

But he should never have been made captain, I feel sorry for the feller

He should be removed from the team. Since he is a mediocre bowler, he will cause lot of trouble to Pakistani batsmen.

if you want to replace darren sammy, who will you replace him with?

if you want to replace darren sammy, who will you replace him with?
easy. The new guy Russell. Looks like a class act with the ball and very impressive domestic stats. Good batting technique too from what little we saw.

Since Pollard isn't playing, Sammy should play against Pakistan along with Russell. But he shouldn't be captain, that job should go to Gayle or probably Bravo

Quite amazing. A player who shouldn't be in the team is the captain of the team. Yeh din bhi dekhna tha.

Quite amazing. A player who shouldn't be in the team is the captain of the team. Yeh din bhi dekhna tha.
He should never have been captain, but quite honestly Sammy has delivered consistently for the Windies before becoming captain. On gut feeling I'd definitely say both Pollard and Russell are superior players, but results-wise Sammy was, till recently, doing well

Gayle was inspirational.

Pity about all the contractual issues.

Sammy is like the Anti-West Indian player.

He should never have been captain, but quite honestly Sammy has delivered consistently for the Windies before becoming captain. On gut feeling I'd definitely say both Pollard and Russell are superior players, but results-wise Sammy was, till recently, doing well

He imbalances the side. He bowls Medium pace and is probably a better batsman than a bowler.

With Marlon back, they could potentially play something like:

Gayle
Chanderpaul
Darren B.
Sarwan
Marlon
Dwayne B.
Pollard
Thomas
Russell
Roach
Benn

That looks a more than decent side IMO.

With Marlon back, they could potentially play something like:

Gayle
Chanderpaul
Darren B.
Sarwan
Marlon
Dwayne B.
Pollard
Thomas
Russell
Roach
Benn

That looks a more than decent side IMO.

pretty decent...

Devon Smith should still open. He has potential. Might drop thomas for him.

He's a very humble and sweet guy. I don't mind if he stays captain. He will bounce back soon.

Humble and sweet is great if you're a teddy bear, not the captain of an international-level cricket team. :afridi

He imbalances the side. He bowls Medium pace and is probably a better batsman than a bowler.
I agree, I'm just pointing out that Sammy is more than capable, but the only problems are

1) He doesn't deserve to be captain as he's not a Test-standard player

2) He's badly out of form

3) There are other alternatives like Pollard (who isn't playing v Pakistan)

If I was to judge Sammy say, a year ago, he'd be an automatic pick because at that time neither Pollard nor any of the other allrounders were doing that well while Sammy was. Now, though, it appears as if Russell, Bravo, and Pollard are each better contenders. It's hard on Sammy, but he does appear to be imbalancing the side. I predicted right when he was made captain that his results would falter

I agree, I'm just pointing out that Sammy is more than capable, but the only problems are

1) He doesn't deserve to be captain as he's not a Test-standard player

2) He's badly out of form

3) There are other alternatives like Pollard (who isn't playing v Pakistan)

If I was to judge Sammy say, a year ago, he'd be an automatic pick because at that time neither Pollard nor any of the other allrounders were doing that well while Sammy was. Now, though, it appears as if Russell, Bravo, and Pollard are each better contenders. It's hard on Sammy, but he does appear to be imbalancing the side. I predicted right when he was made captain that his results would falter

Yes. Today, there is no place in the team for him. However, it seems very unlikely he will be dropped now though.

Such a sad state of affairs when people are talking about an average player leading the West Indies and about 'decent' West Indies teams. Sammy seems like a great guy, and a good human being. Alas, this does not make a great captain. He doesn't deserve to be in the team as a player only, and his captaincy isn't at the level of someone like Cronje (who was a good player, and a great captain).

It looks he does not even take the job seriously.. Bravo or D Smith can be given a chance IMO.

Considering Bravo is skipping the Tests to play IPL it's hard for me to believe he deserves the captaincy.

At least Sammy, whaetver his shortcomings, is fully committed to West Indian cricket

Considering Bravo is skipping the Tests to play IPL it's hard for me to believe he deserves the captaincy.

At least Sammy, whaetver his shortcomings, is fully committed to West Indian cricket
I would've gone with Sarwan/Gayle, but the selectors hate them for some reason. I feel sorry for Sammy whose form has been hit bad with this captaincy lark.

Bravo and Pollard are talented but it's sad to see them routinely skip series.

Yes. Very sad to see them choosing the IPL over their country. I think boards should strictly enforce a rule that a player can only play in the IPL if it doesn't clash with their countries commitments.

I would've gone with Sarwan/Gayle, but the selectors hate them for some reason. I feel sorry for Sammy whose form has been hit bad with this captaincy lark.

Bravo and Pollard are talented but it's sad to see them routinely skip series.

Gayle isn't much better though...he has been dictating terms for a long time now.

Saying that, the WICB aren't perfect either.

But there is a culture in WI cricket now that is less than desirable. Viv Richards and the rest got respect because they had earned it. They could swagger and be cool because of what they had achieved.

But now you see all these new players wearing gold chains and acting like they are superstars after one seaosn just because they get an IPL or a Stanford cheque. They want the fruits without the labour.

Yes. Very sad to see them choosing the IPL over their country. I think boards should strictly enforce a rule that a player can only play in the IPL if it doesn't clash with their countries commitments.

Paisa Bolta hai Bhai

[utube]K4huTqkc22c[/utube]

Gayle isn't much better though...he has been dictating terms for a long time now.

Saying that, the WICB aren't perfect either.

But there is a culture in WI cricket now that is less than desirable. Viv Richards and the rest got respect because they had earned it. They could swagger and be cool because of what they had achieved.

But now you see all these new players wearing gold chains and acting like they are superstars after one seaosn just because they get an IPL or a Stanford cheque. They want the fruits without the labour.
Gayle led the Windies pretty well, except for the 2009 series in england where he'd apparently rather have stayed in the IPL or at home. Nonetheless he stayed till the series was done and by all accounts led the lads well

Sarwan though would be my first choice...class playa hasn't really done much wrong at all

Gayle led the Windies pretty well, except for the 2009 series in england where he'd apparently rather have stayed in the IPL or at home. Nonetheless he stayed till the series was done and by all accounts led the lads well

Sarwan though would be my first choice...class playa hasn't really done much wrong at all

Fair point, and I thought he did a great job on the last tour of Australia. I certainly rate him higher than Pollard.

I have rated Sarwan since that game against Sri Lanka in the 2003 World Cup. That was guts

Pollard is not really a viable option. Doesn't have the right mentality for a captain. It's best if he just focuses on clubbing the cherry with brute.

I mean come on, SURELY they must have a better player to put into the team ahead of him?

mediocre in all departments, and has not quite struck me at least as a very inspirational leader.

if not Gayle, then perhaps Dwayne Bravo should step up?

darren sammy is an awful cricketer. bits and pieces rubbish just like azhar mahmood, and even that , the azhar mahmood of 2007 world cup (HORRIBLE)

its about time somebody brought up this thread. even mediocrity is a complement for him because to be honest hes a total waste of space. a cannon feeder for good batsman and a tailender with the ability perform once in 4 matches by hitting a couple into the stands --- no better a batsman than mohammad aamir.

he wouldnt find his way into any other international side in the world, let alone as captain.

his best performances came when he stood out as one of the better of the "west indies A" side that was forced to play against bangladesh when the players union went ghost. not the most convincing way to cement your spot.

they need to kick this rubbish out and bring back deonarine, barath, dwayne bravo, and carlton baugh to form a solid batting lineup without rubbish players

You have to blame the Board for making him captain, it't not his fault. Any player would take the captaincy honour.

Azhar Mahmood was better than him, btw.

Well Bravo cant be captain since he doesn't even care about WI cricket. He doesn't have central contract and will not play the test matches so that he can play in IPL.

And Gayle has been dropped for the ODIs i am only assuming its either he wants to play in IPL or WICB is done with him.

No. His place in the side is retained just because he's captain. Just like Malik when he was our Test captain.

Back