Derbyshire v Australians | Tour Match | Derby | July 8-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Hit

T20I Debutant
Runs
openers failed, clarke failed too, but ponting and hussey playing well.

atif sheikh, playing his 2nd first class game removed both openers.

187-3

Dear me, they certainly had some fun today against Derbyshire didnt they.

Last thing we needed was Ponting in prime form. :(

They really dished out some phainty today. Poor Derbyshire bowlers. :))

What contrast!!!

Aus are essentially playing their starting XI/XII in this match, with guys like Clarke, Hussey playing (even though they played the two T20s vs us), and we end up resting Gul, Aamer, Kamran Akmal, Afridi after their tiresome enterprises in two T20s!!!

Good to see Steve Smith make some runs and Ponting and Hussey in form.

That should be our Test XI by the way so no surprise we smash Derbyshire.

mindless slogging said:
What contrast!!!

Aus are essentially playing their starting XI/XII in this match, with guys like Clarke, Hussey playing (even though they played the two T20s vs us), and we end up resting Gul, Aamer, Kamran Akmal, Afridi after their tiresome enterprises in two T20s!!!

They did not play warm-up matches prior to the T20s.

They had a ODI series with England, but that was a week before.

kingusama92 said:
They did not play warm-up matches prior to the T20s.

They had a ODI series with England, but that was a week before.

Exactly, they had ideal preparation (5 competitive ODIs)!

Yet we have a captain who hasn't played the longest form of the game for four years and it wouldn't hurt (certainly for a batsman) to have a good run-out in the middle. In fact that would be ideal!

Do you think the transition between T20s and Tests would be automatic, with our 'preparations' prior to the T20s?

Didn't Afridi get a duck in the last 3 day game? Well, nothing like just showing up and coming good, eh? :afridi

Last edited:
mindless slogging said:
Exactly, they had ideal preparation (5 competitive ODIs)!

Yet we have a captain who hasn't played the longest form of the game for four years and it wouldn't hurt (certainly for a batsman) to have a good run-out in the middle. In fact that would be ideal!

Do you think the transition between T20s and Tests would be automatic, with our 'preparations' prior to the T20s?

Didn't Afridi get a duck in the last 3 day game? Well, nothing like just showing up and coming good, eh? :afridi

Absolutely - my point was not isolated to Afridi.

If the case is solely on Afridi then yes, he should be playing.

Although, I do not feel we needed the whole first team XI to play. Most of them got practice in the three day match prior to the T20s and to make them play again would be overkill.

Afridi should have played because he sat out a chunk of that three day game. So, you are spot on about his participation being necessary.

I hope this doesn't backfire on him.

kingusama92 said:
Although, I do not feel we needed the whole first team XI to play. Most of them got practice in the three day match prior to the T20s and to make them play again would be overkill.

Well, I think it should be imperative for a country like Pakistan to play their starting batting line-up for numerous reasons (to become accustomed with each other, role in the side (stability etc), running btw wickets etc etc) and unlike the bowlers, there is less risk of injury (atleast serious injury).

These practise matches are essentially extended training sessions, but out in the middle.

I'm not too fussed with Aamer, Gul not playing (because they are bowlers, injury concerns etc), nor do I particularly care about Asif's performance (because he is a seasoned Test cricketer, and understands the constraints of the game, so is likely to restrain himself and 'show up' at the first Test), however, I see no reason why batsmen (new to the format; Afridi, those who are likely to be relied on heavily; Akmals) aren't playing, especially seeing how poor our batting performance has been in Tests for over a year.

mindless slogging said:
Well, I think it should be imperative for a country like Pakistan to play their starting batting line-up for numerous reasons (to become accustomed with each other, role in the side (stability etc), running btw wickets etc etc) and unlike the bowlers, there is less risk of injury (atleast serious injury).

These practise matches are essentially extended training sessions, but out in the middle.

I'm not too fussed with Aamer, Gul not playing (because they are bowlers, injury concerns etc), nor do I particularly care about Asif's performance (because he is a seasoned Test cricketer, and understands the constraints of the game, so is likely to restrain himself and 'show up' at the first Test), however, I see no reason why batsmen (new to the format; Afridi, those who are likely to be relied on heavily; Akmals) aren't playing, especially seeing how poor our batting performance has been in Tests for over a year.

Valid points.

I think the best point you make is the one about becoming "accustomed" to each other. Our batsmen have shown lack of trust between the wickets, simply because at times they do not know what their partner does in certain situations.

The reasoning behind sitting Umar Akmal would have been that he has been batting a ton out in the middle. He scored a 50 against MCC, 150 odd against Kent, 38 against Essex, 64 and 25 against the Aussies. Some solid practice hours for Umar Akmal there.

Kamran Akmal should definitely be playing. He needs all the practice he can get. It seems Afridi and co. are looking to give the youngsters some chances as they might not be playing much in the actual tests.

Australian bowlers couldn't get any breakthrough so far.

Derbyshire 68/0 after 21 overs.

leh Afridi needs to play warm ups? he's been playing for 15 years, non stop cricket, even if he snooze's or go to sleep for one year and then get up to face australia, he might still smash a hundred and field as he has been doing ever since his debut

aussie bowlers are struggling to get any wickets ! meanwhile , brett lee is having some fun !

119147.jpg

The Aussie bowlers can't get the Aussie Batter (Rodgers) out

What is the point of playing these 'practice games' on these featherbeds? Batsmen are scoring runs freely. Same with the game between Pakistan and Leics.

kingusama92 said:
The reasoning behind sitting Umar Akmal would have been that he has been batting a ton out in the middle. He scored a 50 against MCC, 150 odd against Kent, 38 against Essex, 64 and 25 against the Aussies. Some solid practice hours for Umar Akmal there.

All those scores look fancy but only one innings of all the above have come in a game lasting more than 40 overs, and even that was a few weeks ago ie 3 T20 warm-ups lol and only one three day match.

Test cricket is an entirely different format, and it wouldn't hurt anyone if your principal batsman gets more practise in the middle. For a start, he will be practising in the nets anyway, so what potential drawback is there from practising out in the middle?

fawad_wellwisher said:
What is the point of playing these 'practice games' on these featherbeds? Batsmen are scoring runs freely. Same with the game between Pakistan and Leics.

Almost all the wickets in England are featherbeds. The problem is just the weather - a hint of cloudiness (not entirely an improbability) and the ball does all sorts.

However, the sky pundits are suggesting the good weather may well favour Pakistan, and especially if they can utilise reverse swing effectively.

Having said that, some grounds traditionally favour swing (Headingley) whilst others favour spin (Old Trafford). However, knowing our weak batting capitulating at any and every opportunity, I'd much rather favour featherbeds than wickets that do something.

mindless slogging said:
What contrast!!!

Pakistan are in the unfortunate position of not having a finalized starting XI for the tests. I'd say there's still about 3-4 spots up for grabs, and about 6-8 contenders for those spots. Maybe that is the thinking behind trying out so many people.

mindless slogging said:
Almost all the wickets in England are featherbeds. The problem is just the weather - a hint of cloudiness (not entirely an improbability) and the ball does all sorts.

However, the sky pundits are suggesting the good weather may well favour Pakistan, and especially if they can utilise reverse swing effectively.

Having said that, some grounds traditionally favour swing (Headingley) whilst others favour spin (Old Trafford). However, knowing our weak batting capitulating at any and every opportunity, I'd much rather favour featherbeds than wickets that do something.

Hmm....... so are you saying there are no pitches in England that have a hint of green?

Awesome_Username said:
Pakistan are in the unfortunate position of not having a finalized starting XI for the tests. I'd say there's still about 3-4 spots up for grabs, and about 6-8 contenders for those spots. Maybe that is the thinking behind trying out so many people.

That's what you may think, but I can almost guarantee about 10 of the starters. The only place up for grabs is the number three spot.

Anyway, the Australia number six spot is also up for grabs (indeed that is essentially their mantra - no-one if guaranteed a spot just as Hussey's spot in the Test side was up for debate (with Warne amongst those saying he needed to perform or his Test career could be up): a good Australian summer has alleviated those fears for now), yet North gets first pick.

Whatever our batting line-up for the First Test is, that should've been employed here.

fawad_wellwisher said:
Hmm....... so are you saying there are no pitches in England that have a hint of green?

Wickets have changed dramatically over the last few years! There have been complaints from all corners that the Lord's pitch isn't conducive to produce a result (I think last year was the first time in 4 or so years that Lord's yielded a result).

I guess the administrators are getting their way these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back