Did Murali Vijay use reverse psychology against England?

Boom boom legend

Debutant
Runs
Before the final day of the first test against England, Murali Vijay had some words to say. Looking back, one of the things he mentioned was that India can chase 200 in the final session and go for the win.

Was this reverse psychology by him to get Alastair Cook worried and make England bat longer than they should? Because chasing over 200 runs in the final session on day 5 is very unlikely to happen and Cook should have known better.

If it was, he certainly succeeded and made England bat until the lead was over 300 with around 50 overs to go. This all but ended the chances of a result and it makes you wonder if his words had an effect on England.

No imho. While hypothetically you may got a point but i feel the single most reason for England delaying their declaration was their own effortless no sweat ease of batting in the 3rd innings.

To be honest, if you consider England recently lost a test in Bangladesh, i am sure Cook was delighted with the position he was in. Don't think he was ever chasing the win after India had made close to 500 runs in the first innings.

He wanted to secure his position, levy pressure on India and take forward a strong position into the second test.

No imho. While hypothetically you may got a point but i feel the single most reason for England delaying their declaration was their own effortless no sweat ease of batting in the 3rd innings.

Is there any chance for Rahul to be added as the 16th player in the squad?

Read from a news source that a couple of selectors are up at Vizianagaram to watch and monitor his fitness and since it's very close to Vizag, they can make the decision even late. Not sure how much of it is believable.

Vijay might have, but Idk what exactly reverse psychology is. Maybe [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] the doctor knows better.

People are making too much out of what was a regulation test match draw.

I know draws are fewer and further between these days, but still...

No score is safe when Kohli is playing. Such is reputation of the man :kohli

I highly doubt any team would have declared before Cook. But smart move by Vijay here.

Track was placid and you are playing in India. A draw for 1st game has put pressure on India here.

Vijay might have, but Idk what exactly reverse psychology is. Maybe [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] the doctor knows better.

You should ask a psychologist, not 'the doctor'. Anyhow, in layman terms, it's an attempt to persuade a person to do the opposite of what is being suggested.

Generally, it works better on emotional people.

Anyhow, OP is simply over-analysing and reading too much into it.

No one cares about what Vijay says, he's an irrelevant entity.

When someone makes a claim that team is willing to chase 200 in a SESSION...

It either means they are trying to POSTURE as if they want to win the game

Or they are trying to make the opposition a TOUCH circumspect...

In the end, that touch hesitation was what ended up being the difference.

England inexplicably played slow in the last day before speeding up. Yes, they didn't want to lose pointlessly in a 5 match series but still, it was way too much caution.

Whether he did intentionally or not...only he and team knows but this is anything but over-analysis in my opinion. But its ultimately a guess as to what's the truth.

[MENTION=139664]street cricketer[/MENTION] Yeah even me too read that report. Btw that report came in Mumbai Mirror which is apparently a sister concern of TOI & Cricbuzz. Also iirc its cricket reporter is one Amit and he's been an accurate one with good sources in right places. So it might be true

^^^
Yeah just confirmed. Even Indian Express is reporting that Chairman selector is watching this ranji match in person and already KL Rahul has already aggregated over 100 runs in both innings combined and still not out in 2nd innings. Now it looks like just a formality that KL will be back in next test

^^^
Yeah just confirmed. Even Indian Express is reporting that Chairman selector is watching this ranji match in person and already KL Rahul has already aggregated over 100 runs in both innings combined and still not out in 2nd innings. Now it looks like just a formality that KL will be back in next test

Please do...

Gambo torture must end.

This weird fascination for the 00s team must end. All of them are finished.

Apart from fitness, there is no reason why KL Rahul should not be in our playing XI. So him aggregating 100 or not makes no difference.

Back